A-Spec experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A-Spec experiences?

I'm debating getting a-spec since I recently damaged two of my wheels and I wanted the underbody kit anyway...

Is the suspension really a noticable difference? Is it better for cornering or just better overall? I thought I read it was bumpier but sportier.

The a-spec wheels come with yokohama tires... are people still having problems with those tires?

Overall, was it worth it for you?

And an important question... once your dealer was ready to install the package how long did you wait for your car back? I'm wondering if it's a few hours or a few days sort of thing.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:07 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#1. You can buy the actual OEM body kit off the internet for under $800 (Front spoiler, side skirts, rear valence). The suspension does make a difference. Dealers often want a lot of cash for the kits and for installation.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Cold Racketeer

Well how do i get the body kit installed then if it comes to me via ebay? Local yokel bodyshop would do that?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:45 PM
8th Gear

Just got rid of my 04' TL with the A-spec package due to suspension problems. The ride of the car with the upgrade is unbelievable. Owned a 99' BMW 540i Sport 6 speed, then 03' Acura TL Type-S, then the 04' as noted above, and now an 06 Infiniti M45 Sport. I would go as far to say that the handling is in the same class as the beemer and New M45 if not better with the A-spec package. But the TL I owned, no one in the greater Miami area could fix the recurring tire noise. It would feather one set of tires after another. If you can stand the tire noise its a hell of a ride for a lot less $$$
Old 09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Cold Racketeer

That is what I heard about yokohamas.... they feather and then cause noise, and then the dealer denies the problem each time... so I guess one could get a-spec suspension and wheels, tires and then when they feather just add better tires later.

Or are you saying any set of tires would get ruined? That would be absolutely awful.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Cold Racketeer

I just did some searching and people who have tire problems seem to always have '04 cars. They made the tires a different size for 05 and that seems to have fixed the feathering?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:15 AM
8th Gear

Here is the low down on why I got rid of my TL- A Spec in the end. Hopefully me sharing with you what I uncovered will help you make the best decision for yourself.

Soon after I bought my car, in about 3000 miles or so, the car stared making a tire noise when you would speed up, and start to slow the car down. After about 5000 miles, the car made this horrible noise at all speeds and I sounded like a 4x4 jeep with off road tires on the pavement. After fighting with Acura for some time over my new car, they determined that the car originally needed a camber kit, so they ordered the kit they re-aligned the car, and gave me a new set of tires. All at no charge but my car was at the dealer for 5 weeks.
3000 miles after the warranty work, guess what started to come back again? The same tire noise. It took some time for corporate Acura to respond. Acura put a new set of Yokahama tires again on the car and said that is was a bad Alignment and it was now properly adjusted and I was on my way with the third set of tires!
3 more thousand miles later my friend Mr. Loud Tire Noise was riding shot gun again in my car. This time I called every person I could at Acura Corporate. I had personal meetings with the GM, the Service Manager, and the Parts Manager. Every one had different opinions. I called two other Acura dealers and talked to servicemen there. But at this point no one would help me any further and even Acura Corp. told me that they were no longer offering support for my car relating to this issue. Acura also told me that all A Spec’s are high performance packages and are expected to have harsh road noise and I am the only one to complain! Basically to go (….) myself, don’t call us again, and to have a nice day!
So on my own I took my car to every tire retail chain in town, I even took my car to car shops that specialize in lowering Honda accords, civics, Acura TL’s and Integra’s.

After doing as much homework as I could, here is what I gathered:

#1 The Yokahama tires included in the package are complete garbage. This was the universal response. Even a phone conversation I had with the tire manufacture itself admitted the tire was problematic with some tire noise.

#2 Stay away from the 04’ gunmetal rim! It’s 18 x 8.5 and the 05’ and newer rims are 18 x 8 and they address the problems of easily scratching on a curb and extra stress on suspension being too wide by design.

#3 Camber kits on the A Spec are hit of miss, you literally have to install the suspension, put the car up on the rack, if it aligns right your good, if not you need a kit. Every car and kit combo I guess has a little variance.

#4 More than one respectable auto center told me that the 5 point multi link suspension system used on the rears of the Acura TL’s have a design flaw that causes odd tire wear and problems and it is amplified by the use of an A-spec package.

SO… here is what you do…..

#1 ask for better tires like Michelin Pilot sport 2’s
#2 18x8 rims only ( P.S. repairman in Acura shop told me he has seen 05’ wear too)
#3 have the Acura dealer install it and I would go to a local auto center after words where they do free alignment check ups and bring a print out of the A Spec alignment sheet.
#4 not much you can do here, hopefully a better tire will withstand this issue.

All and all, besides the problems with my car, Corporate Acura’s lack of proper testing on the $5000 sport kit, if your willing to take the chance, I loved the car Ah-La- A-Spec and you cant get a better car for the money if you ask me!
Old 09-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Cold Racketeer

Definitely going to wait then. I will stick to stock, get the front under lip and maybe buy my own new wheels later.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Bring It

I just put on my underbody kit this past weekend that I ordered from a Las Vegas Acura dealer. The kit totally changes the appearance of the car. You should consider it.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it was the reason for getting rid of the A spec as an offering. Looks and handling are not worth a dam if you cannot keep tires on the car for more than a few thousand. Sounds like they need to get it right before they market the product..
Old 09-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I opted for the A-Spec suspension pieces only and added the Comptech RSB. For me, it was just what the TL needed. The car feels more buttoned down and the "float", squat and nose dive has been drastically reduced. I also have aftermarket 18" wheels and Michelin PS2 tires.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Here is a link to another A-spec disscussion.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...98#post1283598

I cut and pasted my response to the thread.

I'll be the first to tell you to search the forum there is a bunch of info already posted. I will add however that the A-spec kit is great for the street. The ride is firmer without beating you up. It eliminates bodyroll, helps turn-in and cornering is better in every way. I bought the suspension and put it on myself. Never told the wife and she never noticed.
However I was dissappointed with the A-spec performance on the track. I took my car out to Hallett Motor Racing circuit for the first time last month and under full-out race mode, it's still a big floaty boat. I had just put on new Toyo T1-R's and expected less body roll and less push. I instructed for the National Prelude meet this year and got to drive a G35 sedan 5AT with stock tires and I hate to say it it's a much better track car. The G35 Coupe 6MT would be the way to go if you wanted a Coupe/Track car.
That being said the A-Spec kit is a must have for spirited street driving. Most people would never consider taking their TL on the track so it's a non-issue for most. I have been road racing on and off for 10 years so I do have a different expectation. I did manage to go faster in one session driving the TL than I did all day in the Mazda Speed Miata (Turbo). :-)

Zguy

BTW - If you get the A-spec go-ahead and get the Comptech Sway-bar, it has to be disconnected anyway.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Suspenion Upgrade Questions

Hey all, I am a new '05 6MT (ABP/Qtz) owner, and I had a few questions about suspension upgrades. I don't expect the TL to handle as well as the '01 Prelude SH it replaced (man that car could handle!), but I'd love it not to be so bloated, all the same. I was planning on adding the Comptech RSB just for added rigidity, and also looking at maybe getting the A-Spec suspension kit and wheels (with, It would seem, non-Yokohama tires?). A few things:

1) If I want to buy just the A-Spec Suspension (not the body kit), where can I purchase it besides the dealer? What should I expect to pay?

2) If I do purchase it at the dealer, what should I expect to pay both for the kit and the installation?

3) Is it possible to get the kit installed somewhere other than the dealer and not void any facets of my warranty?

4) Anything else I should consider that may improve the handling of the car?

Any help is much appreciated. Only 600 miles (in a week, mind you!) and I love this car already

Dave
Old 09-13-2005, 12:02 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can only expect so much from a BIG car like the TL. i mean just look at it. its huge. its the same length as a dodge caravan. i guess u can't expect great handling like a compact coupe or 4door.

oh yeah, one question from me, i'm interested in the ASPEC suspension too, how does it handle in the highway?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:35 AM
Intermediate

I just had it installed on Sat the MT A Spec on an AT with the RSB
and it's great on the highway. Great improvement. And I'm on the stock 17"
(new shoes next summer)

My dealer wanted $600. Then I got'em down to $400.

But I knew some guys at a tire/shock & battery place and
they did it all for $200 including alignment.

With everything it was around 3 hours.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:42 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tzakiel
I'm debating getting a-spec since I recently damaged two of my wheels and I wanted the underbody kit anyway...

Is the suspension really a noticable difference? Is it better for cornering or just better overall? I thought I read it was bumpier but sportier.

The a-spec wheels come with yokohama tires... are people still having problems with those tires?

Overall, was it worth it for you?

And an important question... once your dealer was ready to install the package how long did you wait for your car back? I'm wondering if it's a few hours or a few days sort of thing.
I have the A-spec package installed with CT RSB.....highly recommend. I know people talk all kinds of stuff about probs with tire wear.....but honestly, I have not seen this. I think it is all a matter of getting everything aligned properly. I hear more people talk about probs after dealer install...then after having it done at Joe Schmoe body shop. Why is this>? After giving it MUCH consideration...I figured it was because Joe knows more about getting cars in proper alignment than the dealer mechanics in many many cases. After all....that is kind of pinnacle to the success of their autobody repairs these days. I had mine done at a local body shop in Indianapolis called Borkowski Collision, and they did one hell of a job getting it right the first time! I have experienced NO strange tire wear at all. I have rotated tires when the car tells you to....and nothing else. I think I was lucky enough to get rims of the 2005 era though too.....but note...you WILL go through more tires than if you stayed with stock 17" rims - its just the nature of the beast when it comes to performance tires.