S/C Meth Injection or Intercooler or other options

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S/C Meth Injection or Intercooler or other options

hey guys i am wondering which option would be best...

i am sure having an intercooler is good,, but ... considering that our cars dun have that much room for it... i know it can be done.. but just an ass do it...

what do u guys think would be good?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i'm actually thinking about doing a meth setup too, i just dont know enough about it.

i think ihatecars is a big fan of it, but other than him i'm not sure who else knows much about this.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have one in my garage that I never installed.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Advanced

I used to have a meth kit on my old DSM and it was a breeze installing the kit I pieced together myself. I'm sure it could be done on a TL for about the same price and parts. Just need a different size nozzle since the displacement of the two are nothing alike.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
wait why go for either or... why not do both ... guess I am just playing devils advocate rofl
Old 06-10-2008, 10:50 PM
B A N N E D

I have the snow performance kit with the variable controller. It allows you to adjust the amount of meth injected based on boost.

Meth is very effective at cooling. I have logged the temperature in the TL. Without it the intake temperature can go as high as 160F. Once meth is injected the temperature shoots right down to 80F. Usually people set the meth to start shooting at 3psi.

I don't use straight meth, I use windshield washer fluid. Make sure you don't use any that contains detergent or any other clean agents. Of you could run straight meth or mix it with water.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:22 AM

i have no experience in this at all so i guess when i learn more about it or meet someone in the area that knows enough about it.

oh yea and tidus888, actually, our front bumper has enough clearance for an intercooler, Eric needed to repaint the bottom of this Versus bumper once and he used the stock bumper while he waited, said it fit fine
Old 06-11-2008, 01:37 AM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
everyone has told me to run meth but im scared of it for some reason...just heard horror stories of meth pump going out or just running out of meth..
i would love to run a air to air intercooler (acuratein) but the versus front bumper is a little radical...
Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 AM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

so the intercooler would fit in a stock bumper with the bumper support and all?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:07 AM

yea i think so, just have to double check with eric, but i'm pretty sure he had his stock one up while waiting for his versus one to be repainted
Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 AM
horny =

Originally Posted by type-s09
everyone has told me to run meth but im scared of it for some reason...just heard horror stories of meth pump going out or just running out of meth..
i would love to run a air to air intercooler (acuratein) but the versus front bumper is a little radical...

I feel the exact same way but I think when I replace the precats, megan test pipe, do the CAI, and get the motor mounts I will add it.

Geeeshhh I guess with out the Hondata reflash I will pretty much be done

Maybe a 50 shot
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bent09

I feel the exact same way but I think when I replace the precats, megan test pipe, do the CAI, and get the motor mounts I will add it.

Geeeshhh I guess with out the Hondata reflash I will pretty much be done

Maybe a 50 shot
Screw Hondata...just go for the Emanage system. Thats what I am doing now.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I've got a snow performance meth kit that came with my SC... Haven't installed it.

I originally hesitated because it was believed the meth kit killed catalytic converters... but it clearly appears that it's that batch of shitty e-shift converters that was failing due to poor QC standards, which had little to nothing to do with the meth kit

Anyone that has installed one of these, would you care to share some install tips?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:22 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I'm going catless completely....emanage blue...then meth or NOS. Should be scootin pretty good then.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 AM
I (don't) whine.

^^Although i'm not running meth at the moment, I do have it installed.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM
horny =

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Screw Hondata...just go for the Emanage system. Thats what I am doing now.
Problem is I don't know anyone could manage the Emanage and it is way above my head.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM

yea i was also thinking about emanage or piggy back the two systems like that accord guy, but without REALLY knowing if i will or will not ever get a blower, i think the safest bet is hold off on e-management until the very end, unless you are accessible to a good tuner.

the way i see it is, meth/water kit -> intercooler if we can ever figure it out compeltely -> (for me of course s/c) -> NoS -> emanage.

but that's just in terms of practicality for me. TBH if you have a really good tuner around your area guys, i'd jump on the e-management issues first; squeeze out everything you got. then figure out how you want to cool it all.

Ussi could you snap a few pics? maybe a lil explanation on how you've got what and where it's set up?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Team Anthracite

=) THNX FOR THE RESPONDS GUYS!

but anyways... what is the risk in running meth injection?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Team Anthracite

which specific Snow Performance kit are u guys using?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 PM

yeap i got the same questions too
Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by JCL622
Ussi could you snap a few pics? maybe a lil explanation on how you've got what and where it's set up?
ill snap some pics when i get my car back from the dealer. theyre doing the recall on the windshield wiper motor and power steering hose. they were giving me shit abt having to charge me for it cuz of my mods, i was like 'um, no' and they agreed lol.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:15 PM

lol actually i'm in the dealer right now getting those two recalls done.

I think they popped my hood and were looking for an excuse to not do it, cuz the guy was like the visual modification i did to the engine made my car more at risk and blah blah blah....

i was REALLY confused as to wtf he was talking about so i asked him to point it out for me......he pointed to the TB spacer...i looked at him, and asked "a technician hasnt even looked at this car yet huh.."

and then i pointed out that the TB spacer has nothing to do with any of the mods and that if they wanted to argue it; bring a technician down and i promise you the technician will call you an idiot too.

needless to say, he shut up, apologized, and i'm getting an alignment and tire rotation for 1/2 price
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 PM
邵樂百

Wink

and then i pointed out that the TB spacer has nothing to do with any of the mods and that if they wanted to argue it; bring a technician down and i promise you the technician will call you an idiot too.

needless to say, he shut up, apologized, and i'm getting an alignment and tire rotation for 1/2 price
Now that's how to handle the situation...well done!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ussi
ill snap some pics when i get my car back from the dealer. theyre doing the recall on the windshield wiper motor and power steering hose. they were giving me shit abt having to charge me for it cuz of my mods, i was like 'um, no' and they agreed lol.
I could use a few pics too...
Thanks Ussi.

What was the deal with your oil leak BTW?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
B16 Swapped TL

I have some experience with Meth on other vehicles.

Pretty safe and proven way to gain a few to considerable amount of HP, depending on a few different factors.

The other platform I have experience with it on was one that used a Roots Type Supercharger....... for those of you who know what those are, you know that the Supercharger outlet temps are typically pretty high compared to other methods of supercharging....... and it was difficult at the time to install any type of intercooler as the supercharger bolted onto the Intake Manifold. So Meth Injection kits we a cheap and easy way to drive down outlet temps and make good power.

It's an old hot rod trick........ back in the 50's hotrodders were spraying straight water through nitrous nozzles..

Cons: IMO opinion the biggest con to Meth is setting it up properly. It's not overly complex but to get the best gains / use tuning is required. Then there is the additional maintenance concerns (Clogged Nozzles, Pumps, Fluid Levels).... nothing major though
Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by SporkLover
I have some experience with Meth on other vehicles.

Pretty safe and proven way to gain a few to considerable amount of HP, depending on a few different factors.

The other platform I have experience with it on was one that used a Roots Type Supercharger....... for those of you who know what those are, you know that the Supercharger outlet temps are typically pretty high compared to other methods of supercharging....... and it was difficult at the time to install any type of intercooler as the supercharger bolted onto the Intake Manifold. So Meth Injection kits we a cheap and easy way to drive down outlet temps and make good power.

It's an old hot rod trick........ back in the 50's hotrodders were spraying straight water through nitrous nozzles..

Cons: IMO opinion the biggest con to Meth is setting it up properly. It's not overly complex but to get the best gains / use tuning is required. Then there is the additional maintenance concerns (Clogged Nozzles, Pumps, Fluid Levels).... nothing major though
thanks for the input hopefully this may be the breaking point for alot of the old naysayers and a few of us will give thsi a try

still waiting on ussi's picks tho; and i guess i have some reading up to do!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Team Anthracite

thanks for the info!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by lookinco
I have the snow performance kit with the variable controller. It allows you to adjust the amount of meth injected based on boost.

Meth is very effective at cooling. I have logged the temperature in the TL. Without it the intake temperature can go as high as 160F. Once meth is injected the temperature shoots right down to 80F. Usually people set the meth to start shooting at 3psi.

I don't use straight meth, I use windshield washer fluid. Make sure you don't use any that contains detergent or any other clean agents. Of you could run straight meth or mix it with water.
do you have a pic of ur setup?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 AM
B16 Swapped TL

thanks for the input hopefully this may be the breaking point for alot of the old naysayers and a few of us will give thsi a try

still waiting on ussi's picks tho; and i guess i have some reading up to do!
The easiest solution (in terms of maintenance, mechanical complexity, and sometimes ease of installation) to get to the same means is an intercooler..... which is probably why you have naysayers. When the intercooler made it mainstream and became popular Meth injection sort of disappeared except in circles of peformance enthusiasts and other industrial/commercial applications.

Personally that is the method(intercooler) I would choose if I were given the option of both. Unless I had a turbo car and wanted to run two different maps for normal boost and high boost (high boost reserved for racing/track).....then I would use both only arming the meth system for high boost.

The platform that I mentioned in my previous post was the Supercharged W-Bodies (Grand Prix GTP, Monte Carlo SS, Buick Regal GS, etc)..... Once a affordable intercooler solution came out ($800 range) people started ditching their Meth setups for the Intercoolers.

just food for thought.

I haven't really looked into the possibility of an intercooler on these cars as I am not really interested in modding them (had my years of fun doing that.... I just want to drive this car)..... so not sure if that is an option.

Another thought.... as small shot of nitrous has similar cooling effects of Meth injection.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:38 AM

hmm this is all really good info for me. I'm actually going to the shop to have the guy look at my welding after the past month; see if any adjustments need to be made; i'll bring up the different possibilities and see his out look on it

will fill you guys in later goodnight!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Intercooler. I would not consider putting a blower on a car without and intercooler! Who wants to be shooting hot air into their motor? I mean the benefits of supercharging obviously outweigh the increase in inlet temps in terms of hp but its the principle of the thing.

The only problem with the TL is that the bumper grills do not allow for a FMIC that would have good flow. I may be wrong about this though... I haven't really had a chance to see how guys have done an IC job. A TMIC or DFIC is pretty much out of the question I would imagine, since there is not much clearance or room in the engine bay.

As for meth- it would definitely be a nice mod to have done, but I'd definitely go IC first!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 AM
i R shehmir

im actually in the process of getting an intercooler kit installed on my 05 TL, the stock bumper clears the area but im also getting the versus bumper, just waiting for it to be done getting painted.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
i R shehmir

im acutally getting a few things done at the same time, im also getting my J-pipe, pulley, cf hood, both e-manage systems installed and tuned.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Instructor

My question is this: how does a sufficient amount of air get to the FMIC?

The way to go is a water-to-air IC, Laminova style or something like that.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bumpers can always be trimmed for FMICs too, that's something you can do yourself. My buddy and I did it on his old WRX wagon, it took us about 7 hours ha but we were going very slowly and carefully to give it as flush a fit as possible.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by MINIFVR
My question is this: how does a sufficient amount of air get to the FMIC?

The way to go is a water-to-air IC, Laminova style or something like that.
YOu are right....Water to Air would be better...but much more expensive and intricate to install as well. I was considering a water to air IC not so long ago myself...but decided against messing with it right now....more pressing issues.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by type-s09
If you tune for the meth then you have to be worried about running out. However, if you just inject it and allow the ECU to make adjustments it won't be a big deal. In fact on low boost applications like with the CT supercharger kit a Snow Performance Stage 1 kit would be good. I actually brought a bunch of these Stage 1 kits in a while ago for this very purpose. They are fairly easy to hook up and Snow is pretty good about helping with technical questions. It should take you about 3-4 hours. You can run certain windshield washer fluid but most are a 30% methanol/70% water mix. So more methanol will be better. Adding methanol to your car is liking increasing the gas octane. On average a 10% HP gain can be seen with Stage 1 kits and some tuning and 15-20% gain with Stage 2 kits and tuning.

If anyone wants a Stage 1 kit we will do them for $250 shipped.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
YOu are right....Water to Air would be better...but much more expensive and intricate to install as well. I was considering a water to air IC not so long ago myself...but decided against messing with it right now....more pressing issues.
Yup. They are the way to go, if you want to shell out the dough. A W2A IC for a MINI Cooper is about $1500, without install costs. It would be really interesting to see if anyone could pull one off on a TL. That would be something!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
can someone explain how meth works?

Quick Reply: S/C Meth Injection or Intercooler or other options