RV6 True Dual Exhaust for '04-'08 TL. Accepting deposits now

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Richie..How do you think this exhaust will compare in terms of overall loudness to the other systems available? I can't really tell from the vid.Will it be closer to the Comptech due to the mid muffler/Resonator?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by oemplusmore
Richie, any idea when Hi-Flow Precats are going to be available? I'm considering doing that the j-pipe and exhaust at the same time. I can't cure my xlr8 exhausts drone, it may be time for something new.
the new version xlr8 exhaust has zero drone i had the old prior and yea drone was yuckkkk but now none... this exhaust looks cool id like someone in the real world to run it on a dyno and see if those results are true
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AtlM5
The average GAIN can be higher than the peak gain...that just means that for instance(example)

the car gained 30hp over stock at 3000rpms (160 to 190) then at 5000rpms it made 15hp over stock (215 to 230) but at 6800rpms the car only gained 2hp over stock (260 to 262).

If we used these points as our only 3 data points(not right but its just proving my point) the average gain would be 30+15+2 = 47/3 = 15.67...that is the average gain throughout the powerband while the peak gain is still just 2.

This makes the average gain higher than the peak gain, however the peak gain would still be the highest hp the car makes. This is the same technique the dyno program uses except it is most likely using a linear regression analisys or something to figure out the average of the graph as it is not linear data. I could probably draw a graph to help you out but this is as far as I'm goin...too lazy. If you still dont get it, sorry.

Also, its good that the exhaust makes more average hp because that means that it makes power all throughout the powerband not just on the highend like many v6 mods.
+1

and since our cars are probably street driven most of the time, therefore it is more important to have higher average gain than peak gain since we want more power in the lower rpm range. I doubt everyone would be driving at 6800 rpm the entire time. Atleast not for street driving, track is a different story.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
at the track, u still hit peak hp for a sec or so then ur down to mid to high rpm.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by faceman1
Richie..How do you think this exhaust will compare in terms of overall loudness to the other systems available? I can't really tell from the vid.Will it be closer to the Comptech due to the mid muffler/Resonator?
I have this same concern/question. I don't mind a sweet rumble but drone or rasp is not for me.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Its louder then Comptech I would say its around a 6.5/10 in loudness.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How does this exhaust compare to other's? I have seen a dyno'd comptech + AEM come out with 22whp ( I'm pretty sure most of u have seen the thread), but I don't know if this is peak or average. Does anyone know the stats of other exhuasts? I am pretty sure the RV6 exhuast is on par in regards to peak hp, but does it do better in the mid range??I think it does, becuz I don't see alot of talk about the average hp from these other competitors. Also, RV6 looks like a respected vendor in the azine community and I'm sure he wouldn't risk making up some bogus numbers and trying to sell it to ppl that might know a thing or two a about how dyno's work. How we get a witness, is the guy in the video a member of azine? Maybe he can vouch for rich and the gains.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

yes he is his names jmkiang. i know richies, he wouldnt screw us over. and his his j32a2 6spd swapped civic is killer. he does some quality work. i can vouch for him
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i can vouch for rich, he is a man of his word.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:03 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bayam0n
Maybe he can vouch for rich and the gains.
If you've ever dealt with Richie or spoke to ANYONE that's dealt with him, you'd know he wouldn't dream of pulling any bullsh*t. Its just not how he does business. He doesn't need a vouch!

All you doubters, just don't buy it then or wait til someone you know does. Then you can stick your tail between your legs and order one
Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
zaino'd

In-car vids

VIDEO

Sorry... these aren't the best due to morning traffic. Highway
acceleration vids and WOT drive-bys should be coming soon.

Also, recorded these with my iPhone so the sound isn't the best.

View it HD!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmkiang/4820405676/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmkiang/4819794183/

Last edited by synth19; 07-26-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 AM
zaino'd

How do you think this exhaust will compare in terms of overall loudness to the other systems available?
I was running the CT exhaust before.

CT: sounds pretty stock until you get on it. You can tell the exhaust isn't stock but its still quiet enough to have a conversation in the car. Little to no drone.

RV6: right when you start the car, you can tell its not stock. There is drone when you get on the pedal a little bit but once you get the RPMs a little higher (2k+), the cabin drone goes away and it sounds great.

My butt dyno says my new set up pulls much harder than before. Keep in mind that I ran the RV6 V3 jpipe with the CT and with the RV6 exhaust. When I WOT, the front wheels sometimes get a little squiggly.

BTW, zero rasp!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Wish I could afford this...
Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by jmkiang
I was running the CT exhaust before.

CT: sounds pretty stock until you get on it. You can tell the exhaust isn't stock but its still quiet enough to have a conversation in the car. Little to no drone.

RV6: right when you start the car, you can tell its not stock. There is drone when you get on the pedal a little bit but once you get the RPMs a little higher (2k+), the cabin drone goes away and it sounds great.

My butt dyno says my new set up pulls much harder than before. Keep in mind that I ran the RV6 V3 jpipe with the CT and with the RV6 exhaust. When I WOT, the front wheels sometimes get a little squiggly.

BTW, zero rasp!
I dunno where I heard it from, but I heard that the CT exhaust had the most gains out of all the exhuasts, until the debut of the RV6 exhaust. do you know if that was true?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 AM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Sorry... these aren't the best due to morning traffic. Highway acceleration vids and WOT drive-bys should be coming soon.

Also, recorded these with my iPhone so the sound isn't the best.

View it HD!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmkiang/4820405676/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmkiang/4819794183/
Thanks for the videos and the review... I keep getting more excited as time goes on. So I'll ask the question that was asked in the V-3 j-pipe Thread... Will my girl (who knows nothing about cars) be able to tell that I spent the money on my car and not on her?

Im not sure who else in the NY area will be getting t his but after I install everyone is more then welcome to take a listen in person to decide if they want to get it
Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 AM
zaino'd

Yes it'll be very obvious that something is different.

The CT exhaust is the restrictive exhaust for the TL so I doubt it gains the most.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

so, with RV6 jpipe + exhaust + AEM V2 CAI + UR pulley, would the A/T TL be able to do 0-60 in 5 sec's?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:02 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

^ur gonna need good tires so u can put that power down on the ground, suspension would also help
Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 AM
zaino'd

so, with RV6 jpipe + exhaust + AEM V2 CAI + UR pulley, would the A/T TL be able to do 0-60 in 5 sec's?
You'll get good gains with the above combo and yeah, the car will feel MUCH lighter but at the end of the day, you're NA, 5AT and its a TL. If you're worried about 0-60 / 1/4 times, buy a faster car.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Ok.. here's my opinion as I saw/heard it yesterday evening when me and Jason attended a local car meet.

First thoughts/impression: Quality looks good, welds look clean and very professional. The only thing I "personally" didn't like was the RV6 Performance plate that was tacked onto the exhaust tips. I think an etching on the tips would've looked better, but again this is my personal opinion.. and something as stupid as this shouldn't be the deciding factor for getting Richie's exhaust.

Now, onto the sound. I've heard on the 3G's the ATLP, CT and Excelerate... here's what I think about them:

ATLP: Very unique exhaust note. might be a little too aggressive for me. Has a slight raspy sound when you get up on the throttle.

CT: Normal deep-toned exhaust note.. other than it being too quiet, its a nice exhaust. I say its quiet because the CT's on my 2G are a lot louder.

Excelerate: Again, another unique exhaust note. Just like the ATLP, when you get up on the throttle, it has a certain raspy sound too it.

RV6: A good mix of exhaust note that isn't too deep, nor too high. Jason rev'd it a few times for me and didn't floor it, but quickly accelerated out of the parking lot we were in and lemme tell you, it sounds absolutely gorgeous. It isn't an exhaust note I've ever heard before, but it sounds just about right for the TL.

Again, don't attack me if you don't agree with me. This is what my ears heard and I'm telling it the way it is.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by `ill*tl
Ok.. here's my opinion as I saw/heard it yesterday evening when me and Jason attended a local car meet.

First thoughts/impression: Quality looks good, welds look clean and very professional. The only thing I "personally" didn't like was the RV6 Performance plate that was tacked onto the exhaust tips. I think an etching on the tips would've looked better, but again this is my personal opinion.. and something as stupid as this shouldn't be the deciding factor for getting Richie's exhaust.
Richie said that he is thinking about doing something other then tacking that plate on the exhaust. If I remember tight he did say something about etching it to give it a cleaner look. It is somewhere in this thread.

How about etching the batch number on the exhaust too... that way i could say that I have the first batch
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

^ well after letting Jason know my only "flaw" in the exhaust, he told me that etching your company logo onto the tips is a lot of extra and not hard, but time consuming work.

Also, I remember Jason telling me that ppl were interested in the Titanium-burnt finish on the exhaust tips. I personally am a huge fan as I love that burnt look on the exhaust tips, but on Richie's exhaust.. I don't think it'll look right. I say this because when I was looking at the exhaust tips yesterday from a side-view.. I wouldn't say they're short but I wouldn't say they're fairly long either. And having a burnt finish on Richie's exhaust tips would kill the look of it. When the exhaust is mounted, the tips stick out just the right amount..and if Richie were to put the titanium-burnt finish on the tips, all you would see is that titanium-burnt finish.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Its great that you are telling your experience, but if you read a little through the thread...all of this has been discussed.
there will be options of different tips. etc: burnt tips, short tips, long tips, base tips, type-s tips. you get the picture.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
zaino'd

People complain when there's no feedback. People complain when there is feedback.

He is also one of the few AZ members that have seen/heard the exhaust in person... just sayin.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
I appreciated his and your feedback.
I just thought it was common knowledge now that this thread is 6 pages long.
and after Richie confirmed having different tips.

it was just a little confusing, that is all.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-23-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by `ill*tl
^ well after letting Jason know my only "flaw" in the exhaust, he told me that etching your company logo onto the tips is a lot of extra and not hard, but time consuming work.

Also, I remember Jason telling me that ppl were interested in the Titanium-burnt finish on the exhaust tips. I personally am a huge fan as I love that burnt look on the exhaust tips, but on Richie's exhaust.. I don't think it'll look right. I say this because when I was looking at the exhaust tips yesterday from a side-view.. I wouldn't say they're short but I wouldn't say they're fairly long either. And having a burnt finish on Richie's exhaust tips would kill the look of it. When the exhaust is mounted, the tips stick out just the right amount..and if Richie were to put the titanium-burnt finish on the tips, all you would see is that titanium-burnt finish.
Yeah, I had to bring up another topic besides the dyno graph this, and average hp that, and blah blah, and I had mentioned the badge thing. Rich says he will look into laser/chemical signature for a cleaner look, and if you go back a couple of pages, you'll find this!!

I dont think rich is going with the double walled tips, and rather one wall titanium as a n option becuz almost no one liked the ones that debuted. although u are correct, ti tips only look good and can be appreciated when you can actually see them, so rich will have to consider aspec bumpers getting in the way. long tips always look better... not too long though (that's what she sed).

honestly, I don't mind paying another $100 for laser engraving logo rather then badge, but I know alot of us are on a budget. lasered logo is so much sexier, and it gives it another depth of professionalism.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by Morrissey25
How about etching the batch number on the exhaust too... that way i could say that I have the first batch
+100!! that would be sooooo sick! but then rich would have to limit his product to how many he thinks he would be able to sell. I think he can sell probably 100 easy??? he did say that 1st batch is 25 and that there would be a batch 2 and 3.

so since I am number 2 on the list is would be 2/100, thats nasty!!

I forget what vehicle actually displays the limited number next to the stick shift. i think its the aston martin one 77? I believe they actually put a badge that says " 1/77" right next to the stick shift.

Last edited by Bayam0n; 07-23-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
zaino'd

^ Realistically, you'd be 3 or 4/100 since I'm sure the local guys will be the first production runs.

Does that make me 0/100?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

^ well, atleast I'm in the top 10.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Morrissey25
Richie said that he is thinking about doing something other then tacking that plate on the exhaust. If I remember tight he did say something about etching it to give it a cleaner look. It is somewhere in this thread.

I am definitely looking into etching either chemical or laser. Good idea on the serial numbers. This will help me keep track of the age and batch of the exhaust if problems ever arise.

Yeah, I had to bring up another topic besides the dyno graph this, and average hp that, and blah blah, and I had mentioned the badge thing. Rich says he will look into laser/chemical signature for a cleaner look, and if you go back a couple of pages, you'll find this!!

I dont think rich is going with the double walled tips, and rather one wall titanium as a n option becuz almost no one liked the ones that debuted. although u are correct, ti tips only look good and can be appreciated when you can actually see them, so rich will have to consider aspec bumpers getting in the way. long tips always look better... not too long though (that's what she sed).

honestly, I don't mind paying another $100 for laser engraving logo rather then badge, but I know alot of us are on a budget. lasered logo is so much sexier, and it gives it another depth of professionalism.
Tips should be here next week but I am going to NYC for a week. It might be 10-14 days but I can post up the new tips. We are defenetly going with some type of etch or engraving since you cant weld stainless to titanium.

^ Realistically, you'd be 3 or 4/100 since I'm sure the local guys will be the first production runs.

Does that make me 0/100?
1-2 local guys are going pick this up as soon as they are ready.

Yea you have 0/100 or maybe -1/100 since your exhaust was never part of a batch.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:18 PM
zaino'd

Originally Posted by Richie v6
since you cant weld stainless to titanium.
How are you going to weld the Ti tips to your T304 muffler?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

How are you going to weld the Ti tips to your T304 muffler?
They are riveted to a stainless adapter.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 PM
zaino'd

VIDEO

Windows down. I was on a 45 so nothing fast.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmkiang/4821965949/
Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
rich... soon as you land give me a ring...
Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Intermediate

VIDEO

Windows down. I was on a 45 so nothing fast.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmkiang/4821965949/

that sounds awesome!!!! makes me definitely want to be part of the first batch... but i still want to know how would the base setup looks like instead of the quad tips
Old 07-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Wow, a lot quieter than I had imagined.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stillhere153
rich... soon as you land give me a ring...
Haha cant afford tickets we're driving! Do you know anyone and NYC that wants RV6 stuff. I will sell discounted jpipes out of the back of my car.

Originally Posted by luminous-TL
that sounds awesome!!!! makes me definitely want to be part of the first batch... but i still want to know how would the base setup looks like instead of the quad tips
When the tips get in I will work on the base setup.

Gotta keep it tasteful.

Originally Posted by bforbrian
Wow, a lot quieter than I had imagined.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 AM
"Let's Do This"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richie has done it again!!!! Great product
Old 07-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The video sounds good!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Not where I should be

Richie, if you're able to create custom tips, how about a quad set-up for the base? I've seen a thread on here that had a chrome set of tips and so long as the dimensions are the same I don't see why these can't be duplicated in Ti....keeping cost in mind of course.
I like the option of having a variety of tips to select from. Perhaps have a standard set-up at the mentioned price with the option to select a different tip at an additional cost? Not sure how labour intensive that would be for you, but I'd rather have the system come complete from you, regardless of tip selection, and not have to worry about having it welded on by a local shop.

Quick Reply: RV6 True Dual Exhaust for '04-'08 TL. Accepting deposits now