P2R Throttle Body Spacer and Thermal Gaskets by Excelerate!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
P2R Throttle Body Spacer and Thermal Gaskets by Excelerate!!!

This is a Special Acurazine Pricing Event for the P2R Thermal Gaskets and Throttle Body Spacer for the 04+ Acura TL (including the Type S). This is a direct-fit, bolton modification with great gains for the price. We will be posting up more products for different applications and updating this thread. If you are interested in any other P2R product PM me.

04+ Acura TL, TL-S Throttle Body Spacer with Throttle Body (TB) Thermal Gaskets

- Increase horsepower and torque with this 3/4 inch throttle body spacer.
- Tests on a 06 TL M/T[shown below] produced a 5.5 horsepower and almost 9 ft/lbs of tq gain at the wheels!
- P2R's spacer comes equipped with a 1/8th inch NPT threaded port at the bottom that can be used as an extra vacuum port or nitrous.
- Includes extended bolts, plug, and is polished to a brilliant show-quality shine.

P2R Thermal Intake Gaskets

Power Rev Racing intake gaskets will help reduce intake air temperatures by removing the direct connection of the intake manifold to the cylinder head. Made out of our proprietary heat dissipating material the P2R thermal intake gasket creates a thermal barrier that isolates power-robbing heat from traveling to your intake manifold through the cylinder head. Less heat soak means cooler air and more consistent power delivery.

P2R Battery Tie Down

Want to start dressing up under the hood, but don't want anything too flashy? Well, start by installing a gloss black P2R battery tie down. Made out of extremely light, yet incredibly durable, billet material the P2R battery tie down is the perfect accessory for any engine bay.

The following payment terms are accepted: Bank or Teller Check, Money Order, sent to:

Excelerate LLC
998 West Main St
Branford, CT 06405

You may also send payment to Excelerate@sbcglobal.net via Paypal. Or you can pay via Google Checkout. Or you can call in your CC info at 203-483-6100.

Shipping times will depend upon your location. Prices based on shipping to 48 continental states in the U.S.

The prices will run as follows:

Acura TL 04+ (Including Type S)

- TB Power Package: 2 Throttle Body Thermal Gaskets and 1 TB Spacer - $120 shipped
- P2R Battery Tie Down - $40 shipped

AIM Screen Name: Excelerate04
E-mail: Excelerate@sbcglobal.net
or PM me.

RETURN POLICY
- ALL RETURNED AND/OR CANCELLED ORDERS ARE SUBJECT TO A 25% RE-STOCKING FEE PLUS ALL SHIPPING CHARGES (Includes original and return S&H fees).
- ALL AUTHORIZED RETURN MERCHANDISE MUST BE NEW, UNUSED, AND IN ITS ORIGINAL PA CKAGING. ALL DOCUMENTATION, WARRANTY CARDS, INSTRUCTIONS, AND HARDWARE MUST ALSO BE RETURNED.
- ITEMS MAY BE RETURNED WITHIN 15 CALENDAR DAYS FROM THE RECEIPT OF MERCHANDISE.
- SPECIAL ORDERS ARE NOT RETURNABLE.
- ALL DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

EXCELERATE LLC
998 West Main St
Branford, CT 06405
(P) 203-483-6100 (F) 203-483-6101
www.ExceleratePerformance.com
Joshua Lockwood
Owner
Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How easy and how much time do you think it'll take to install this?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
If I already have the Outlaw Engineering spacers installed, would this replace the spacer on the throttle body?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder what the gains would be for a 5AT...
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

To do this mod it shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes. I can give basic instructions right now without having even installed one yet on a TL.

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility or liability for these instructions. It is up to the consumer to confirm the accuracy of this information and to find the correct procedure.

1. Remove intake pipe closest to TB or if you have an aftermarket CAI remove intake itself and push aside (also remove coupler if you have an aftermarket intake).

2. There are 2 nuts and 2 bolts holding the TB. Remove them. I think they require a 12 mm socket.

3. Unplug the MAP sensor and IAT sensor connectors. Make sure to plug them back in after install.

4. Remove old gasket from TB and scrape off with a razor any gasket that sticks. Be careful not to get any in the plenum (Intake Manifold).

5. Take the 2 nuts you removed and put them back to back on each stud and then tighten them against each other. Then turn the inner nut (closest to the plenum) counterclockwise and that will allow you to remove the stud. Do the same for the other stud.

6. Put the plug in the bottom of the spacer using teflon tape to ensure a seal. Tighten it about about 4-5 threads.

7. Then assemble your TB spacer/thermal gaskets. It will go plenum to thermal gasket to spacer to thermal gasket to TB. Use the 4 longer bolts and tighten in a diagonal pattern. I believe the tq rating is 16 ft lbs of tq

8. Put your IAT sensor and MAP sensor plugs back on.

9. Reinstall your coupler and intake.

10. Go have some fun with your added hp.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
does this take the palce of the thermoblock spacers or is that something different?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JJaber06
I wonder what the gains would be for a 5AT...
The gains should be similar. Maybe 1 hp less and 1-2 ft lbs of tq less.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
does this take the palce of the thermoblock spacers or is that something different?
This would replace the Thermoblock spacers setup. That setup is jsut a thicker gasket with 2 OE gaskets whereas this is a 3/4" aluminum spacer with thermal gaskets on each side.

I will also have an Intake Manifold gasket coming next week that is a thermal gasket to further help reduce IAT's. With the IM gasket we noticed that there was about a 1whp increase. However, 3 back to back dyno pulls were done and on the first and second run there was a 1whp diff in favor of the P2R IM gasket. On the 3rd run there was a difference of 5whp so the IM gasket didn't necessarily gain hp; it just allowed you to keep your HP after the IM became heat soaked.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Do you have any picture of this Unit installed on the TL. Will the Battery tie down work with the Optima Red Battery model 34/78.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am getting the p2r spacer dropped shipped... Ordered over the weekend... $80, how is that different from what you are selling for $120?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:51 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Also be advised,
If you've installed Tein SS and drilled a hole to use the Accord Greddy strut tower bar, your intake manifold WILL interfere with the Greddy bar if you install these spacers.

The Outlaw spacers raise the manifold about 1/4in, and with that I have about 3mm clearance. Raising it 3/4in will surely put it right in the way.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:03 AM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Also be advised,
If you've installed Tein SS and drilled a hole to use the Accord Greddy strut tower bar, your intake manifold WILL interfere with the Greddy bar if you install these spacers.

The Outlaw spacers raise the manifold about 1/4in, and with that I have about 3mm clearance. Raising it 3/4in will surely put it right in the way.
read it again...the throttle body spacer is 3/4"..the IM spacer doesnt have a mentioned thickness...i doubt it is any thicker than the thermoblock...
Old 08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by type-s09
read it again...the throttle body spacer is 3/4"..the IM spacer doesnt have a mentioned thickness...i doubt it is any thicker than the thermoblock...

Good catch. 01-03 CL-S here, it ain't 3/4in.

"as you were"
Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

You only ordered the TB spacer. Josh is offering the TB spacer ($80) AND the IM gasket ($35) for $120 shipped...

Originally Posted by stillhere153
I am getting the p2r spacer dropped shipped... Ordered over the weekend... $80, how is that different from what you are selling for $120?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
You only ordered the TB spacer. Josh is offering the TB spacer ($80) AND the IM gasket ($35) for $120 shipped...
Nope, just the TB spacer...

Originally Posted by Excelerate
- TB Power Package: 2 Throttle Body Thermal Gaskets and 1 TB Spacer - $120 shipped
He went on to mention that he will be getting the IM gaskets soon.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

All you did was order the spacer apparently. You didn't order either of the thermal gaskets. The gaskets help prevent the transfer of heat from the TB to the IM.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Also be advised,

Right now what I am selling is the TB Spacer so it won't affect the IM position. Next week I will have the IM Gasket and it isn't 3/4". In fact it is probably even thinner than the Thermoblock one.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

So for $120 you are getting two TB Thermal Gaskets to put on each side of the TB spacer. If you don't put those on you will have heat transfer and the gains will not be as good.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

ok so how much for just the thermal gaskets?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

ok so how much for just the thermal gaskets?
$50.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK... I'm at work and can't see the dyno sheets for the TB spacer and gasket... so bare with me. I understand the concept of a cooler intake temp and the purpose of the spacer... I had one on my previous car (supercharged BTW where a cooler intake made a BIG diff in power and the exhaust crossover pipe was right under the TB). However, I just can't see this TL mod showing up on a dyno unless the conditions were setup to show a difference. You can show a 5hp difference in a car just by changing the oil and dynoing on a different day. There is a benefit from using the TB spacer when engine temps go up, but I'm skeptical about the 5hp, 9ft-lb gain. If it was that easy to gain 5hp in a NA car, then why didn't the factory just put in a TB spacer?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:40 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Originally Posted by vatltltl
OK... I'm at work and can't see the dyno sheets for the TB spacer and gasket... so bare with me. I understand the concept of a cooler intake temp and the purpose of the spacer... I had one on my previous car (supercharged BTW where a cooler intake made a BIG diff in power and the exhaust crossover pipe was right under the TB). However, I just can't see this TL mod showing up on a dyno unless the conditions were setup to show a difference. You can show a 5hp difference in a car just by changing the oil and dynoing on a different day. There is a benefit from using the TB spacer when engine temps go up, but I'm skeptical about the 5hp, 9ft-lb gain. If it was that easy to gain 5hp in a NA car, then why didn't the factory just put in a TB spacer?
VA have you looked at the majority of TL drivers out there? They aren't buying the car for the performance or handling factors. This mod would only increase the cost of the car and it would be a unwanted part on the car. Now if the new "S" type offered this, that might be something acura should look at. But for the 04-06 models there wasn't a "S" type, and the A_spec offered no engine performance items.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

$50.
Lol sure, not
Old 08-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joed40
VA have you looked at the majority of TL drivers out there? They aren't buying the car for the performance or handling factors. This mod would only increase the cost of the car and it would be a unwanted part on the car. Now if the new "S" type offered this, that might be something acura should look at. But for the 04-06 models there wasn't a "S" type, and the A_spec offered no engine performance items.
I hear ya... but... this mod is as simple as it gets. Acura engineers could design and add this part to every TL for $10 or less over the price of the car with no negative impact on driveability, mpg, or sound, especially if it could add 5 hp. It's just a spacer and two gaskets. I'm just questioning the claimed hp and tq increase.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I hear ya... but... this mod is as simple as it gets. Acura engineers could design and add this part to every TL for $10 or less over the price of the car with no negative impact on driveability, mpg, or sound, especially if it could add 5 hp. It's just a spacer and two gaskets. I'm just questioning the claimed hp and tq increase.
For the same reason other manufacturers don't add them...

Now, if you're running your car at the strip, will it eventually help you out? Yes. But in everyday normal driving, it makes no difference.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:31 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by chill_dog

Now, if you're running your car at the strip, will it eventually help you out? Yes. But in everyday normal driving, it makes no difference.
and by help out, it mean a fraction of a 1/10th of a second... if it all. It's a feel good mod, not a real power maker... and I never believe dyno runs from manufacturers... Too much "room for advantage" to be introduced.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:48 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

and by help out, it mean a fraction of a 1/10th of a second... if it all. It's a feel good mod, not a real power maker... and I never believe dyno runs from manufacturers... Too much "room for advantage" to be introduced.
True, but if you can get half dozen $125 add ons then you have an improvement.

Not bad, not a S/C, but then again, you don't have to sweat the company going belly up again.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chill_dog

There ya go...

At the strip, every 1/10 of a sec is a big deal, and the spacer along with other "cooling" mods will make a diff. The spacer, along with other supporting mods such as a CAI will cool the intake temp and keeps you from losing hp. The spacer by itself is not a power adder.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor

The spacer plays more with airflow rather than heat. The reason it makes more power is because its after the throttle body, so it actually makes the plenum bigger, allowing the intake manifold to store more air. For example, you will not see a hp gain by making an intake arm one inch longer, but will see more power by making runners on an intake manifold longer.

The thermal gaskets also prevent the heat transferring from metal to metal. The intake gasket that will be released shortly actually stays cooler than aluminum. For example, the intake mani gasket was put in the oven. When the oven is at 400 degrees, the intake manifold is also at 400 degrees, but the intake gasket is at about 325 degrees, so it actually doesn’t hold as much heat, and what it does is make the cylinder head not transfer all of its heat to the intake manifold.

The IM gasket won't really make that much hp as I said. In 3 back to back runs, the first two only showed a gain of one hp but the 3rd run it was 5 hp. It shows how the motor keeps the hp up longer as the intake air temps stay cooler, and it doesn’t heat up nearly as fast. Even the first pull was higher hp because of intake manifold being at a cooler temp, although it was negligent.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i still dont get this... so the gaskets go around the spacer right? so its, gasket, spacer, then gasket? and those 3 things are 120.

and the primary effect is a cooler air temp and more volume of air being held in the throttle body chamber.

how does this compare to the thermoblock spacer? is the thermoblock spacer just the spacer and no gaskets?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Instructor

The spacer plays more with airflow rather than heat. The reason it makes more power is because its after the throttle body, so it actually makes the plenum bigger, allowing the intake manifold to store more air. For example, you will not see a hp gain by making an intake arm one inch longer, but will see more power by making runners on an intake manifold longer.
Airflow is still restricted by the size of the throttle body and the intake plenum. The spacer does not change that fact. Like I said previously, if it was that simple, Acura engineers would have already done it. It is not that simple.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Instructor

i still dont get this... so the gaskets go around the spacer right? so its, gasket, spacer, then gasket? and those 3 things are 120.

intake plenum - gasket - tb spacer - gasket - throttle body

stock config is intake plenum - gasket - throttle body
Old 08-28-2007, 08:39 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well acura could also put e-shift pro cats on factory cars and gain 20whp..if the car was put to the fullest potential from the factory then there would be no need for aftermarket performance parts...there is a reason they do not do these things..mostly because of cold weather and emissions...throttle body spacers are known to make some small amount of power throughout the performance market..imports and domestics
Old 08-28-2007, 10:18 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm surprised no one noticed how the 6M/T base line numbers on that dyno sheet are a bit steep. 240whp and 220wtq, haha! Being such is the case I bet those gains are a bit inflated too, I bet those advertised gains would be more around 1~3whp and 5~6wtq if that. But I wouldn't buy it for HP gains I would buy it to keep the engine temp cooler and prevent power loss from a heat soaked motor.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's still a decent product and for $120 bucks I don't see why not.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Eoanou
I'm surprised no one noticed how the 6M/T base line numbers on that dyno sheet are a bit steep. 240whp and 220wtq, haha! Being such is the case I bet those gains are a bit inflated too, I bet those advertised gains would be more around 1~3whp and 5~6wtq if that. But I wouldn't buy it for HP gains I would buy it to keep the engine temp cooler and prevent power loss from a heat soaked motor.
The TL also had an intake so the baseline is of a 6 spd with an intake. 242whp and 214 ft lbs of tq for a TL 6 spd w/ an intake isn't really that inflated.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...2&page=1&pp=25

And I think Nitro dynoed at about 238 whp or so on a Dynojet also as these tests were conducted on with an open box intake. So I don't believe these #'s are really that inflated.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Former Sponsor

and the primary effect is a cooler air temp and more volume of air being held in the throttle body chamber.

how does this compare to the thermoblock spacer? is the thermoblock spacer just the spacer and no gaskets?
It goes plenum to thermal gasket to spacer to thermal gasket to TB to intake.

The Thermoblok spacer is just about a half inch in thickness and is just one gasket with a regular gasket.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Airflow is still restricted by the size of the throttle body and the intake plenum. The spacer does not change that fact. Like I said previously, if it was that simple, Acura engineers would have already done it. It is not that simple.
Take a 6" piece of pipe with a 1/2" diamter and put water inside it. Now add another 3/4" of an inch to the pipe of the same diameter. You still are restricted to the diameter of the pipe for flow but you can hold more water. The same is true of the spacer. It stores more air.

And in reference to the comment about if it was thaht simple Acura engineers would have already done it, I think you may be a little mislead. Why didn't Acura engineers put higher flowing cats on the TL or a cold air intake or a lightweight crank pulley or thicker rear sway bar or larger brakes or stainless steel brake lines or a firmer suspension or a supercharger? It is b/c Acura appeals to a very wide customer base and needs to keep in mind NVH, fuel efficiency, and cost. The percentage of TL owner who modify their cars I would imagine is only about 10-15%. So no "it is not that simple" as you said, but it isn't that simple in the case of the Acura engineers.

I don't want to turn this thread into an argument. I am just trying to bring another good product to the TL community. If you are not interested in the product nor convinced it will improve your hp/tq then don't buy it. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Instructor

Take a 6" piece of pipe with a 1/2" diamter and put water inside it. Now add another 3/4" of an inch to the pipe of the same diameter. You still are restricted to the diameter of the pipe for flow but you can hold more water. The same is true of the spacer. It stores more air.

And in reference to the comment about if it was thaht simple Acura engineers would have already done it, I think you may be a little mislead. Why didn't Acura engineers put higher flowing cats on the TL or a cold air intake or a lightweight crank pulley or thicker rear sway bar or larger brakes or stainless steel brake lines or a firmer suspension or a supercharger? It is b/c Acura appeals to a very wide customer base and needs to keep in mind NVH, fuel efficiency, and cost. The percentage of TL owner who modify their cars I would imagine is only about 10-15%. So no "it is not that simple" as you said, but it isn't that simple in the case of the Acura engineers.

I don't want to turn this thread into an argument. I am just trying to bring another good product to the TL community. If you are not interested in the product nor convinced it will improve your hp/tq then don't buy it. Thanks.
I understand man, but we're not talking a noisy intake or rougher riding suspension or $1K pro cats, we're talking about a simple spacer. Anyway, I'm not going to arguue anymore, I was just trying to bring attention to the hp numbers. As I said in my original post, I had a spacer in my previous car so I am a believer in what it does regarding reducing heat soak and intake temps. Heck, if the price was alittle lower, I would buy one for the TL right now.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Bump for a great mod.

Quick Reply: P2R Throttle Body Spacer and Thermal Gaskets by Excelerate!!!