Nice Looking Exhaust.....but lose HP??!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Nice Looking Exhaust.....but lose HP??!

Anyone can tell that shit will make a 08 TL-s lose HP? I really like the looking of this exhaust but I don't want to lose HP, one of the AZ member told me that is a SHIT....And I think it is because it is pretty cheap for like $40 sth each.
As I remember one of the AZ member had this kind of exhaust, I couldn't find photo now...

So anyone know is there anyone good exhaust and have this kind of looking?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
First of all, you need to know what kind of design that is.
Meaning internally.
The major internal muffler designs are absorption, reflection and restriction.
The last one is pretty self explanatory, and also commonly found as OEM in cars since it doesn't take much to engineer them and cheap to make. It is why often people experience that rattling high pitch annoying sound on their cars and so to speak the TL, when everything else is upgraded on the exhaust (assuming mods that increase exhaust flow) and mufflers are left stock. I myself have seen and heard on a whole bunch of TLs.

If that muffler isn't extremely restrictive, and I highly doubt it is more than OEM, there's no reason why you would lose power. Anything else or other design should not cause your car to lose power. But if you're looking for mufflers to make power, then NO.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
Meaning internally.
The last one is pretty self explanatory, and also commonly found as OEM in cars since it doesn't take much to engineer them and cheap to make. It is why often people experience that rattling high pitch annoying sound on their cars and so to speak the TL, when everything else is upgraded on the exhaust (assuming mods that increase exhaust flow) and mufflers are left stock. I myself have seen and heard on a whole bunch of TLs.

If that muffler isn't extremely restrictive, and I highly doubt it is more than OEM, there's no reason why you would lose power. Anything else or other design should not cause your car to lose power. But if you're looking for mufflers to make power, then NO.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I don't think there is such thing as adding mufflers to a stock set up to lose HP.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jray906
Anyone can tell that shit will make a 08 TL-s lose HP? I really like the looking of this exhaust but I don't want to lose HP, one of the AZ member told me that is a SHIT....And I think it is because it is pretty cheap for like $40 sth each.
As I remember one of the AZ member had this kind of exhaust, I couldn't find photo now...So anyone know is there anyone good exhaust and have this kind of looking
Fecal matter will not make a car any faster or slower...it will in fact make it look and smell like shit.

You have probable seen a Type S TL with the Quad Tip exhaust unlike the base TL with their dual exhaust.

If all you want to do is change the tips of the exhaust then by replacing your current muffle with that shown in the picture it will probably sound different and have no gains of HP.

For good exhaust that have that same appeal look at the wonderful sponsers....XLR8, ATLP and so on....remember Quality = Price
Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Opel
Meaning internally.

Thanks for the long explanation, so the only way to get HP gain is change the whole exhaust system and no matter what kind of muffler that i have. Muffler doesn't make HP right? Only good muffler wont rattle in high rpm?

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I don't think there is such thing as adding mufflers to a stock set up to lose HP.

Originally Posted by USN-Berm
Fecal matter will not make a car any faster or slower...it will in fact make it look and smell like shit.

You have probable seen a Type S TL with the Quad Tip exhaust unlike the base TL with their dual exhaust.

If all you want to do is change the tips of the exhaust then by replacing your current muffle with that shown in the picture it will probably sound different and have no gains of HP.

For good exhaust that have that same appeal look at the wonderful sponsers....XLR8, ATLP and so on....remember Quality = Price
But they don't have exactly design like this one, I like the blue color at the end of the muffler...
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Actually RV6 will weld on the tips of your choice for a small fee. They may not guarantee the part or the sound but you get what you want. PM richie
Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Actually RV6 will weld on the tips of your choice for a small fee. They may not guarantee the part or the sound but you get what you want. PM richie
thanks for the information....
Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Dont just weld on some cheap eBay muffler... they burn out very fast and you will be left with a rice sounding TL. If i were you i would cut of the stock tips and replace them, they do a stage 2-3 exhaust for the sound and it sounds like you dont really care about adding power.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
Dont just weld on some cheap eBay muffler... they burn out very fast and you will be left with a rice sounding TL. If i were you i would cut of the stock tips and replace them, they do a stage 2-3 exhaust for the sound and it sounds like you dont really care about adding power.
How much does it cost?
And how much for a auto shop to install a whole set of exhaust?
I am about to buy a set but I still have no idea for which one, sounds like AZ members usually go for RV6 and ATLP.... Actually which option can add more power? I heard from dealer that they said type-s has high flow mufflers sth sth....
If I only change all the way without the stock muffler, will the sound be different?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
All the info is on this site...to the point where stuff has been repeated 1000 times...what you're asking is for answers to be repeated one more time and make it 1001.
I for one am tired of repeating.

Search!