Newest Ultimate clutch, flywheel...J&R twin disc

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Well glad to see you on the forum kikazz,I have to thank kikazz for funding us to get the twin disc made and working this was a very tring project took quite a few trials but glad to say it came thru ,he will also be a big part of helping us getting a gearset made for the Tl as this will be the next adventure ,as I see this necessary with the high horsepower builds coming around ,which is great to see ...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
kikazz, your efforts are definitely appreciated! Although my wallet continues to suffer!

Thanks!!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AckTL05
+1

I have seen 405WHP fully built engines pushing 7psi making serious power and loss of traction by not having the ability to properly put down the power. With that power you better be looking into some custom axels.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes. Remember, the higher the numbers really don't mean much because its all about what you can hold/put down.
Why would he need custom axels. The exels have not had a problem yet. Gears have broken with 400ft/lbs of torque, but to my knowledge no one has had an axle break. My car the axel placement/angle is no where near as good as the TL and through 4 passes on the twin disk and slicks, i have not had a single issue.

Originally Posted by KN_TL
kikazz, your efforts are definitely appreciated! Although my wallet continues to suffer!

Thanks!!!!!
Yes Vato, thanks again for everything.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm going to disagree on axles as a concern unless the typeS axles are considerably weaker than the 04 base models ,at 479 whp and 470 lb tq I've yet to change axles better yet there still the same oem from the car left the factory and even with full traction off the line I sheered third gear instead of the axles so I'm going to say the trans is what needs attention first and Dss will build a set for about 1600$ so that shouldn't be an issue as far as stronger axles ...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Rodney, any word on when a set of uprated gears will be available?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ bmeyer the gears will be a while as no one want to jump on them asap due to funding as they require a order of 5 or more to get started asap but we will get them done but I'm going to say in a few months we will have some info as to where we are with it ..
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by pass427
I'm going to disagree on axles as a concern unless the typeS axles are considerably weaker than the 04 base models ,at 479 whp and 470 lb tq I've yet to change axles better yet there still the same oem from the car left the factory and even with full traction off the line I sheered third gear instead of the axles so I'm going to say the trans is what needs attention first and Dss will build a set for about 1600$ so that shouldn't be an issue as far as stronger axles ...
Im not arguing but they are weak. I my self have gone through 5 sets as well as many other people I know. More so for the 6 spds. At 405 WHP I was advised that custom ones were needed by a reputable mechanic. If custom built ones for $900 are rated up to 500WHP, how can stock be better? Maybe you didn't change the axels but the other 20+ people that I know who have changed them numerous times or ordered them from my ACURA dealer had a problem. I haven't changed them in 2 years since I changed my driving habit.

Op, I know you made 4 passes but I didn't mean they would brake that soon. Over a couple of months/ hard launches I guarantee they will break/crack. They break from excessive wheel hop (trying to burn out on all seasons or winter tires) /no traction and hard launches.

If you turn your wheel and you hear a clicking, then they're cracked but that also doesn't mean its not drivable.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ I understand and don't mind constructive criticsm as this educates and aware us ,I'm going to say that the Tl S are probably the weaker of the bunch as I've heard quite a few complaint about that clicking noise on car that aren't even modiified idk ,but kikazzbuild will surely let us know what will need to be addressed ...
Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
get your camber set correctly and get stiffer front struts/springs and your axles will last a LOT longer.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:19 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Im still on the oem axels after 127k miles. I cant launch nearly as hard as anyone with a 6spd so Im sure that helps. However, Ive been hearing clicking while turning under low speeds for the past 20k miles
Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of gains do you see/feel when rolling? Obviously the biggest improvement will be off the light, but I am curious about how much of a performance improvement the car sees otherwise.

To put it another way, do you believe that there is any performance benefit when the clutch is fully engaged?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Unless you are slipping, how can there be a performance increase?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Im not arguing but they are weak. I my self have gone through 5 sets as well as many other people I know. More so for the 6 spds. At 405 WHP I was advised that custom ones were needed by a reputable mechanic. If custom built ones for $900 are rated up to 500WHP, how can stock be better? Maybe you didn't change the axels but the other 20+ people that I know who have changed them numerous times or ordered them from my ACURA dealer had a problem. I haven't changed them in 2 years since I changed my driving habit.

Op, I know you made 4 passes but I didn't mean they would brake that soon. Over a couple of months/ hard launches I guarantee they will break/crack. They break from excessive wheel hop (trying to burn out on all seasons or winter tires) /no traction and hard launches.

If you turn your wheel and you hear a clicking, then they're cracked but that also doesn't mean its not drivable.
Sounds like you, and the others had bad suspension/motor mount combination. Wheel hop is going to break the axels alot faster than striaght power.

Originally Posted by phee
get your camber set correctly and get stiffer front struts/springs and your axles will last a LOT longer.
agreed.

Originally Posted by libert69
Im still on the oem axels after 127k miles. I cant launch nearly as hard as anyone with a 6spd so Im sure that helps. However, Ive been hearing clicking while turning under low speeds for the past 20k miles
If they are clicking you might want to look into replacements.

Originally Posted by 04SatinSilverSixSpeed
What type of gains do you see/feel when rolling? Obviously the biggest improvement will be off the light, but I am curious about how much of a performance improvement the car sees otherwise.

To put it another way, do you believe that there is any performance benefit when the clutch is fully engaged?
The only performace gains will be from lightening the rotating mass. The complete clutch kit is about half the weight of the factory pieces.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TLdream
The only performace gains will be from lightening the rotating mass. The complete clutch kit is about half the weight of the factory pieces.
Now you're in the whole light crank pulley debate......increase performance or freeing up HP!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
If they are clicking you might want to look into replacements.
I was thinking about replacements but they only click in the winter, not in the warmer weather. Once the spring comes around and if I still hear clicking then its time for new ones
Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im right with you on this one.. ive gone through my fair share of stock axels to know this. my last axel casualty, the tripod on the axel broke off completly and left me stranded, BUT it was clicking on me for a few weeks before this happened.

one guy i know that drives another 7th gen accord at the track with NOS, snapped the axle right in half off a hard launch. eventually, they will definetly need to be addressed with the insane amount of power you turbo guys are producing...

im also with rodney that beefing up the tranny should be our #1 priority and glad to hear you have something in the works with stronger gear sets all this newfound power is useless, until this issue is resolved.. im living proof of this

lastly regarding this new clutch kit, though it looks promising, my only concern would be longevity.. my friend who owns an evo 9, has to get his ACT twin disc replaced every 10-12k miles or so. yes, driving style does play a role in it too, but IMO a good single disc setup will always last longer than any twin setup. i guess this is something we'll find out as time comes..

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 03-15-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Safety Car

What reason would a twin not last as long as a single excluding a stupid driver?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pass427
Well glad to see you on the forum kikazz,I have to thank kikazz for funding us to get the twin disc made and working this was a very tring project took quite a few trials but glad to say it came thru ,he will also be a big part of helping us getting a gearset made for the Tl as this will be the next adventure ,as I see this necessary with the high horsepower builds coming around ,which is great to see ...
GEARSET!!!! OH YEAH. u better not be lying i want that improved gear set!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tenzingsherpa
GEARSET!!!! OH YEAH. u better not be lying i want that improved gear set!!!
Tell your wallet to say AHHHHHHHHHH.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Just an update. I put an extra muffler on the to quite it down, and i lost some hp and torqe. I am guessing i am sitting around 250-260.

before 275 whp, pcd, stock j pipe 3 in exhaust small race muffler.
stock clutch slipping
13.48 @ 109 w/ 2.38 60ft

now 250-260 whp, pcd, stock j pipe 3 in exhaust huge magnaflow muffler, and small race muffler, and J and R twin disc
13.05 @ 107 w/ 2.017 60ft

my best 60 of the night was 1.99

This is in a full weight street prelude. Im going to be doign some weight savings to it, and fix the exhuast flow problem, and build a custom intake manifold for it.

With the J and R stand alone coming out, i am hoping to see a little over 300 whp, and break into the 11's with a little weight savings.

This clutch is amazing!
That is a very impressive trap! Great times as well!

Did you dyno before/after the Magnaflow muffler? Is it straight through or chambered? I'd be extremely shocked if you lost even 5whp from the Magnaflow straight through muffler, let alone the 15-20 you are estimating.

The difference in trap could've been due to DA conditions or even just the car having a bad day. It's happened to me too many times.

Any plans on changing out the Jpipe? Or do you think stock is just fine? It seems to be working rather well....
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sonnick
That is a very impressive trap! Great times as well!

Did you dyno before/after the Magnaflow muffler? Is it straight through or chambered? I'd be extremely shocked if you lost even 5whp from the Magnaflow straight through muffler, let alone the 15-20 you are estimating.

The difference in trap could've been due to DA conditions or even just the car having a bad day. It's happened to me too many times.

Any plans on changing out the Jpipe? Or do you think stock is just fine? It seems to be working rather well....

It is a 3 chamber muffler, 48 " long, 3 in inlet 3 in outlet, 8inch total diameter. The power loss was noticible. I may to stick it on the dyno friday to check it before The race on sunday.

It could all be in my head but i am pretty sure i lost quite a bit.

I contacted richie at rv6 trying to get some parts from him, but it is becoming more hassel than its worth,to so i will be building a complete setup my self. I will be using 2.5 off each head, a x pipe 1 resonator on each side, and 1 small straight through muffler on each side. I just need to try keep it quite, i may be doing the front half in stainless, and after the resonators everything back in twin 2.5 alumninum.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
All motor

Ah you went with chambered, that's why you felt a loss. The "straight thru" mufflers are much better in terms of 'maintaining' hp/tq while keeping the exhaust relatively quiet. I'd definitely recommend one of their straight thru mufflers in the future.

48" long? That's nuts. I thought mine was big and it's 36". No homo

Oh...with a true dual you will need much more than a small pair of resos/mufflers on each side to keep it anywhere near respectable sound levels lol.

Last edited by Sonnick; 03-17-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

you defeated the addition of 3" piping by adding a chambered muffler. You definitely need a straight-through.

With a 4ft'er, you must have needed no straight pipe. That is enormous. I had a 36" and I thought that looked like a mack truck muffler.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Ah you went with chambered, that's why you felt a loss. The "straight thru" mufflers are much better in terms of 'maintaining' hp/tq while keeping the exhaust relatively quiet. I'd definitely recommend one of their straight thru mufflers in the future.

48" long? That's nuts. I thought mine was big and it's 36". No homo

Oh...with a true dual you will need much more than a small pair of resos/mufflers on each side to keep it anywhere near respectable sound levels lol.
I will be messing with it shortly when i get the lifts in my new shop.

Originally Posted by KN_TL
you defeated the addition of 3" piping by adding a chambered muffler. You definitely need a straight-through.

With a 4ft'er, you must have needed no straight pipe. That is enormous. I had a 36" and I thought that looked like a mack truck muffler.
It was a spur the moment purchase. I had to have my car quiter to pass tech at IFO. I ordered the muffler from amazon on wednesday, got the free 2nd day shipping. Got the muffler in on friday and installed it on Saturday. Ready for the race on sunday. I may try to put it back on the dyno before the next race, not sure if i will make it though.

Ohh, and it takes up almos the entire center section from the j pipe to the 90 bend at the rear of my prelude.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:09 AM
All motor

Ohh, and it takes up almos the entire center section from the j pipe to the 90 bend at the rear of my prelude.
Lol. 4 feet is huge! If you could fit it, I'd go with the 5X11X22 muffler they offer. It's 3in and is supposed to be the biggest straight through muffler they make. If you could fit 2 it'd replace your 4ft muffler and be quieter as well. You wouldn't even need a muffler near the bumper!

I have the 6in round 30in body muffler. It's huge. But when I called Magnaflow, they said the round mufflers aren't the best for sound deadening because not as much packing can be stuffed into a circle as compared to a rectangle.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Instructor

Just an update on the clutch. It is stilll taking all the abuse i can throw at it. It helped me to victory in the AMS (all motor sport) class today, at the Wichita IFO event. I layed down a personal/car best with a 1.8 60 ft 12.8 @ 108
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 AM
All motor

Just an update on the clutch. It is stilll taking all the abuse i can throw at it. It helped me to victory in the AMS (all motor sport) class today, at the Wichita IFO event. I layed down a personal/car best with a 1.8 60 ft 12.8 @ 108
Very impressive!!! How much does the Prelude weigh? I looked online and I saw around 3050lbs. Do you have any weight reduction? Also, forgive me if you already posted it, but what mods do you have on the TL-s motor?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Very impressive!!! How much does the Prelude weigh? I looked online and I saw around 3050lbs. Do you have any weight reduction? Also, forgive me if you already posted it, but what mods do you have on the TL-s motor?

If i had to guess, i would say the car weights right around 3000 lbs plus about 230 for my big arse. Only weight reduction i have is the trunk is emptied, and the front bumper support is cut a bit, and the rear is off the car. Other than that its full weight, full interior. Im probably right around stock weight, considering the j motor weighs just a little more than the factor h22.

Mods, im currntly running a j32a3 intake manifold (the j35 manfold was badly damaged in the engine fire the motor experienced before i bought it. Custom intake, pcd, stock j pipe, 3 in exhasut to huge magnaflow muffler, 3 in to cherry bomb race muffler at the back of the car.

I will post the videos later, I have one of my car alone and you can hear it making the pass, then i have some of me racing the other competators, and theres are crazy loud.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I got the Shifts

What size tire are you on?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Instructor

What size tire are you on?

24.5x 8x 15 m and h
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM
I got the Shifts

So your brand new stock clutch was slippig?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM
All motor

108 is a really nice trap. You should try going with a custom Jpipe to mate up to your 3in exhaust. I think you'd definitely gain some power throughout the band. That's my plan for this month.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Instructor

So your brand new stock clutch was slippig?
Yes the stock clutch slipped with the dr's on it.

108 is a really nice trap. You should try going with a custom Jpipe to mate up to your 3in exhaust. I think you'd definitely gain some power throughout the band. That's my plan for this month.
I trapped almost 110 with the old exhaust setup and feathering it off the line with a 2.4 60ft.

I will be building a new setup shortly once richie can get me some flanges.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Instructor

New personal best a few weeks back at the IFO wichita event. My fastest time so far. I have had better trap speeds but everything is going to change one i get my new exuast setup and stand alone in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtqtB2FYYuU

the vid shows a little abuse i put on the clutch.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I got the Shifts

i need a j35
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
All motor

Those are some serious trap numbers for the stock Jpipe.

Last edited by Sonnick; 04-14-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Instructor

i need a j35
forget the 3.5 i already have plans for a 3.8 or 3.9 setup. Im thinking 13.5-14:1 compression setup with a little juice. Will stick me near 600 to the wheels.

Those are some serious trap numbers for the stock Jpipe.
I will be looking for 115 to 120 with the new exhast and tune. 11sec full weight prelude here i come.

Ohh and if i can get my hands a TL for a good enough price, next season the built motor will be going into a TL drag car.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
All motor

115-120? You expect a 7-10mph improvement from just a new exhaust and a tune? What kind of math are you doing? Lol.

When you say new exhaust, do you mean a new Jpipe as well or just a catback with different mufflers?

13.5-14:1 CR! Wow! How do you figure a 3.8L?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Instructor

115-120? You expect a 7-10mph improvement from just a new exhaust and a tune? What kind of math are you doing? Lol.

When you say new exhaust, do you mean a new Jpipe as well or just a catback with different mufflers?

13.5-14:1 CR! Wow! How do you figure a 3.8L?
haha, my best mph with the last exhaust was 110 and that was still with factory j pipe. I will be doing a 2.5 TD exhaust. The Tune will open the motor up becuase right now i am still on the 3.2 ecu, and the motor is a 3.5 so its not running perfect. The torque curve was complely jacked up when i had it dynoed.

big bore j37 will get me 3.8-4.1 if i desire. To go 4 liters + though it will require wet sleeves. I should be able to use a complte j37 blockk from a mdx with my type s heads and trans.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Safety Car

New clutch to arrive on Wed!!!!

Need to get my order in for the lift.

Bmeyer, when is your clutch going in?

Quick Reply: Newest Ultimate clutch, flywheel...J&R twin disc