Lightweight pulley = bad bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightweight pulley = bad bearings??

i have an 08 TL (leased vehicle)
first question; will an underdrive pulley void my warranty?
anyway, i was speaking with a buddy of mine who seems to know a lot about engine dynamics and he was saying that a lightweight crank pulley will mess up the bearings in the long run because the crank pulley is harmonically balanced from stock to work with the rest of the pulleys. he said if you replace the crank pulley you need to replace the rest of the pulleys. that doesnt make sence to me.
i know the crank pulley is a harmonic balancer but i do not see how a same sized pulley with only less weight would throw off the engine balance. its not going to put more stress on other parts because its the same diameter, its only going to spin the other components up to a faster speed than it takes with the stock pulley.
has anyone heard of or had any issues with an underdrive/lightweight pulley causing the crank and or other pulley bearing to wear out pre-maturely?
i want to do this mod on my TL.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
i dont think ull have any problems swappin out ur stock crank pulley 2 a UR pulley
Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
This has been hashed over a million times here. Our pulleys are NOT harmonic balancers. The engine is internally balanced.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KN_TL
This has been hashed over a million times here. Our pulleys are NOT harmonic balancers. The engine is internally balanced.
ok apologies for the post, but while researching the subject i never found any posts asking about the bearings.
thanks for the info though, im doing the swap soon then.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
/thread
Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you are aware: more than 3 months membership--- and we get to really razz those who make no effort at search and start new threads!

Unless your friend is an acura tech or well known member of azine, what makes you think they know more about the car,,, than those of us who actually own one!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

right= no post on bearing issue because we dont have one
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Advanced

OK lets all chill out and i regret ever writing this post.
relax...its just the internet.
/thread
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Jesus, chill on the poor guy. Nothing wrong with being certain and trying to find out about any possible recent issues before modding his 35k car.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Team Owner

I have no problem with asking questions, just that members who have been here more than a few months should be able to find this info in the threads

And I personally-- am tired of threads where `friends at work`- who dont own acuras- giving bad info,,, then we get to correct it
If you want acura info- come to where acura owners hang out first!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
There are many J-series vehicles running the UR crank pulley for over a hundred thousand miles and some even more than that with no issues.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I blew my engine with a pulley...
Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How about TWO DIFFERENT J32's with a combined 240,000 miles both with UR crank pulleys, NO PROBLEMS! My old 2000 TL and current 03 CL-S.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Your friend may be mistaken with Domestic V8s.. Which do implement a harmonic balancer..
Old 10-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Running it on my rebuilt J35. My friend has also been running it on his stock car since he bought it...no issues thus far.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Since this thread is right here i might as well post my noob pulley question here also...

Does the underdrive pulley make the a/c less effective both at highway speeds and at idle?

Since it cuts power to the accessories 15% does this mean i can't play my stereo with the car off as long as before?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I have no problem with asking questions, just that members who have been here more than a few months should be able to find this info in the threads

And I personally-- am tired of threads where `friends at work`- who dont own acuras- giving bad info,,, then we get to correct it
If you want acura info- come to where acura owners hang out first!
Here is a novel concept....you didnt have to respond? As a member here for over a few months...you should KNOW this site is FULL of repeating 100 level questions like this. Whats the big deal? I understand your frustration...but fact is...you are getting overly frustrated at something you cant and dont control. And FACT is...many people here dont have a clue what they are talking about and dole out advise to others daily.

As for the OP....dude...its not that big of a deal on the Honda/Acura engine for the already above stated reasons. Dont worry about it...you are good to go!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the real deal

most modern engines are internally balanced on the crank. Since i have built two acura v6 motors and have used lightweight pullies and an underdrive pulley here are my thoughts:

A crank pulley weights how much again on theses engines 10lbs-15lbs?? cast right? now if you look at them they should have tiny dimples drilled into the outer face to BALANCE the pulley it self. Now you remove this heavy pulley on the end of your crankshaft...it makes a difference. Hence why i dont even use Underdrive pulleys, rather i use lighter ones.

The reason?

I experienced SEVERE loss of power/tq in the upper rpm band lowering my overall time in the 1/4. This was an aluminum pulley that weighed 1.5lbs VS the stock 10lbs plus. It was TOO light! Now on legend motors we run 3.5lb crank pulleys.

Now also, you take off your stock heavy A$$ stock pulley and put a NON-BALANCED lighter pulley it WILL have an effect. Your engine is balanced from the factory and SHOULD take in account these things when built; crank pully, crank, rods, pistons, flywheel. You change these you upset the balance plain and simple.

Will it hurt your motor to change the pulley? It will decrease the longevity of the motor but not by much. You should still get 150k miles

Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by swift22
most modern engines are internally balanced on the crank. Since i have built two acura v6 motors and have used lightweight pullies and an underdrive pulley here are my thoughts:

A crank pulley weights how much again on theses engines 10lbs-15lbs?? cast right? now if you look at them they should have tiny dimples drilled into the outer face to BALANCE the pulley it self. Now you remove this heavy pulley on the end of your crankshaft...it makes a difference. Hence why i dont even use Underdrive pulleys, rather i use lighter ones.

The reason?

I experienced SEVERE loss of power/tq in the upper rpm band lowering my overall time in the 1/4. This was an aluminum pulley that weighed 1.5lbs VS the stock 10lbs plus. It was TOO light! Now on legend motors we run 3.5lb crank pulleys.

Now also, you take off your stock heavy A$$ stock pulley and put a NON-BALANCED lighter pulley it WILL have an effect. Your engine is balanced from the factory and SHOULD take in account these things when built; crank pully, crank, rods, pistons, flywheel. You change these you upset the balance plain and simple.

Will it hurt your motor to change the pulley? It will decrease the longevity of the motor but not by much. You should still get 150k miles

The stock crank pulley weighs 7-8 lbs and yes the engine is internally balanced so the crank pulley has no affect on the longevity of the motor when machined right, which UR CNC machines them and they are 0 gram balanced, which is better than the OE pulleys.

I would like to see these dynos showing a hp/tq loss b/c every dyno I have ever seen on these pulleys has not shown a loss. It's equivalent to doing a lightweight flywheel; you're not going to lose hp/tq.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Saying a light weight crank pulley is going to adversely effect engine life on a HONDA engine is like saying you can get a skin cancer from prolonged exposure to a full moon.

Sure, you are getting some UV, but it is not enough to really cause an issue.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by swift22

The reason?

Sorry, my 00" TL has gone 220K miles with a UR crank pulley on it and still runs perfectly.