Just got the Comptech Supercharger installed:: Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the Comptech Supercharger installed:: Thoughts

Just got the car back an hour ago from Acura of Lynnwood.

First impressions driving normally

-I didn't notice any noise difference at startup from inside the car
-drove it around normally and you can't hear the blower
-The exhaust is definately louder
-Car is a bit sluggish and not as peppy as before in lower rpms. I think this is due to the Stock crank pulley back on. that sucker is heavy. I'm talking to a reputable pulley shop to make a stock sized light weight crank pulley.
-at 3800 RPMS i notice the jerking or surging issue. at 25% throttle it hesitates to keep on climbing.at 3800 RPMs it drops down to 3650-3700 then goes back up.

First impressions under boost

-Blower wine is not as loud as i thought.
-didn't WOW me with power, but i could have just been expecting to much. the procats didn't WOW me either, but the numbers on the dyno prove that i gained a hefty bunch.
-Don't have any traction issues with VSA off like some other guys on the forum. (tires are Toyo T1-R).
-The exhaust is DEFINATLEY louder, a little too loud IMO.

Again i only drove it for about 30 min.. taking the car back home from the dealership. I'm sure i'll start to feel more gain later after everything is settled in. it was the same for every mod, took time to show it's gains on the 'butt dyno'

The engine compartment was REALLY hot after the 30 min drive, so hot that i could barely touch the plastics without getting very uncomfortable. Definatley look into buying the water/methanol injection kit.

I'll get some pictures and video's up a little later.

The big question... Was it worth it?

Honestly, I don't know yet, I'll answer that question after i've had more seat time with the car.

Thanks for listening
Old 05-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I think you definately need to let the ECu get used to the charger. You will probably feel more of a difference the next time you drive it.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:08 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Originally Posted by blktl1
Yeah, I think you definately need to let the ECu get used to the charger. You will probably feel more of a difference the next time you drive it.

Yea, thats what i'm thinking because after the procats were installed i wasn't that impressed with the gains, but the next day when i took it out, I could definatley feel more power.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

I had the same thing with the pro cats. when they dynoed them it took 4 pulls to get it to show 20+ whp gains.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Advanced

slightly dissapointing initial review

Hopefully it is the ECU issue...
Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 PM
300whp 237wtrq

I'm pretty sure it is.. I'm sure it'll get better and i'll notice a huge gain after a day.

These were just my first impressions

In no way am i regretting the purchase. I LOVE that whine.
I was going through a tunnel and some guy on a bike comes up behind me and was right about to pass when i stomped on it and the whole tunnel was filled with a roar fromt he exhaust a this incredible whine. looked back and he backed off. LOL
Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

You probably scared him and thought you wer crazy and backed off!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Import and Domestic owner

That is exactly how I felt the same day I drove mine after installation. Wait till tommorrow morning when you drive it. Even tonight, mine at first didnt even feel any faster than before the blower. Later that night after 2 hrs of driving it felt like a new machine. You will see
Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
I like to whistle in my

Nice review ( seems real official and unbias: no beating around the bush to make things sound better that what they really are) Good job
Old 05-17-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Give it a few days. I think you will be impressed. I have similar mods and love the s/c! 300+ whp is a lot of fun.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Awesome, THanks! you guys are making me feel better..
Old 05-17-2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MugenR
Awesome, THanks! you guys are making me feel better..
Just let that computer do its thing. You will feel a difference definately.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:55 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cant wait to see some pics and a vid
Old 05-18-2006, 04:10 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Took it for another run today and it feels much stronger in the low end and way more pull in the top end. It been pretty hot recently around 80* and around 45%-50% humidity.

I really need to get some guages to monitor everything.

Thinking of the zeitronix meter, don't want anything too flashy. plus it's kind of a all in one unit.
Then I will slap on a Water/Methanol Injection kit.

I'm still trying to figure out how i can safely up the boost to 6 or 7 PSI

definatley in the process of getting some kind of Stock Diamter light weight Crank pulley made.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:18 PM
321 whp SAE

Took it for another run today and it feels much stronger in the low end and way more pull in the top end. It been pretty hot recently around 80* and around 45%-50% humidity.

Thinking of the zeitronix meter, don't want anything too flashy. plus it's kind of a all in one unit.

definatley in the process of getting some kind of Stock Diamter light weight Crank pulley made.
more boost would be nice but we have high compression.. mmmm may be trouble..
Old 05-18-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
more boost would be nice but we have high compression.. mmmm may be trouble..
Well then we will have to throw some low compression pistons in there. Sounds a lot easier than done
Old 05-18-2006, 04:29 PM

You will probably be able to add a larger crank pulley and a high boost pulley with water/meth injection. The methanol will add the octane needed to run this. I am also working with a guy around here to make them. I know comptech has a high boost pulley already, I am trying to contact shad at comptech to see if it will fit. Then we will be in buisness.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:17 PM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
Well then we will have to throw some low compression pistons in there. Sounds a lot easier than done
yeah man, i'm with you on that.. more power more power!! i'm addicted to figuring ways to get more power!! Check out the jerking issue thread.. i wonder if that product can help us.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
it takes my car about a week to adapt to modifications. after a week i feel a difference.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the s/c... lets meet up. Call me maybe I can round up some guys and meet up with you Friday night.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:57 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Another boosted TL!

Modify the intake and the whine is ridiculous. I see you noticed the louder exhaust roar...i love that as well. Its loud as hell!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:53 AM
300whp 237wtrq

hmm.. just got back from driving a bit and popped the hood.. noticed that there was coolant dried all over my blower shaft and fan shrouds. found out that the hose connected to my radiator on top is spewing out coolant everytime you push on it or move it....

hmmm.... not good...
Old 05-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Advanced

that sux! Acura of Lynnwood better do something for ya...
Old 05-20-2006, 04:15 AM
300whp 237wtrq

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Another boosted TL!

Modify the intake and the whine is ridiculous. I see you noticed the louder exhaust roar...i love that as well. Its loud as hell!

how is the intake change treating you? notice any gains or more low end?

my friend who is a hot rod fabricator took a look at my supercharger and the first thing that came out of his mouth was... I wanna build you a piping for the intake.

LOL
Old 05-20-2006, 04:50 AM

my friend who is a hot rod fabricator took a look at my supercharger and the first thing that came out of his mouth was... I wanna build you a piping for the intake.

LOL
Pretty damn restricted, isnt it. I am going to look at it today and see if I can find a 2 1/2 in bent tube at the local part store and then maybe hack some of the old cai off to fit.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another boosted TL!

What kind of modification did you do to the intake? Can you make some more videos? I love your vids.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:15 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts

LOL
I can't tell if the intake yielded any power gains but it sure did make it loud! I absolutely love it....

Maybe i'll take a video clip of the sound tonight as well.

...tell your friend he should build you one...i don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:17 AM

I can't tell if the intake yielded any power gains but it sure did make it loud! I absolutely love it....

Maybe i'll take a video clip of the sound tonight as well.

...tell your friend he should build you one...i don't think you'll be disappointed.

Acuratin, is your car loud at idle too? or just when you step on it? I only like it loud when its a agressive roar. I already heard your car in the last vid (which was music to my ears), but would defintiely love to hear it now.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's a pic of MugenR's s/c.

Looks and sounds badass.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet!!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Cruisin'

sweet ride, i live in seattle and will be getting my TL june 15th. Hopefully i can meet up with some fellow TL'ers and swap stories and tips!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:36 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by clay8898
Here's a pic of MugenR's s/c.

Looks and sounds badass.

Dam too bad I was busy that day when you were up here. Would of love to check out that bad ass S/C.

Hope you manage to find AJ and the Midnight market.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 PM
The Boss

Just got the car back an hour ago from Acura of Lynnwood.

First impressions driving normally

-I didn't notice any noise difference at startup from inside the car
-drove it around normally and you can't hear the blower
-The exhaust is definately louder
-Car is a bit sluggish and not as peppy as before in lower rpms. I think this is due to the Stock crank pulley back on. that sucker is heavy. I'm talking to a reputable pulley shop to make a stock sized light weight crank pulley.
-at 3800 RPMS i notice the jerking or surging issue. at 25% throttle it hesitates to keep on climbing.at 3800 RPMs it drops down to 3650-3700 then goes back up.

First impressions under boost

-Blower wine is not as loud as i thought.
-didn't WOW me with power, but i could have just been expecting to much. the procats didn't WOW me either, but the numbers on the dyno prove that i gained a hefty bunch.
-Don't have any traction issues with VSA off like some other guys on the forum. (tires are Toyo T1-R).
-The exhaust is DEFINATLEY louder, a little too loud IMO.

Again i only drove it for about 30 min.. taking the car back home from the dealership. I'm sure i'll start to feel more gain later after everything is settled in. it was the same for every mod, took time to show it's gains on the 'butt dyno'

The engine compartment was REALLY hot after the 30 min drive, so hot that i could barely touch the plastics without getting very uncomfortable. Definatley look into buying the water/methanol injection kit.

I'll get some pictures and video's up a little later.

The big question... Was it worth it?

Honestly, I don't know yet, I'll answer that question after i've had more seat time with the car.

Thanks for listening
Hey buddy,
What you just wrote, I could have told you all that..........
Let me be honest here, I've had the Comptech S/C for what? 4 weeks now and I can honestly say I'm not a bit impressed by the blower at all. It's quick when it's under boost; much faster than a stock TL obviously. But it's not something that wows me... the torque is awful and you'll need to bring up the boost to about 4000 to really feel the pull.. if any. In low RPM, I feel my car is much slower than prior to installation of the s/c. However, the one thing that I really enjoy having the blower on is the way the charger whines. It intimidates others on the road when under WOT but I rarely bring it to WOT.
I've never had a s/c in my car before and so I figured I'd give it a shot at it. If I could do it all over again, I would save the money and not get it at all. I enoy the supercharger but I wouldn't do it again if I could. It's definitely not worth $4500.
For $32000 + $4500 = $36500, I would say it beats getting a mustang GT saleen edition ($38,000) because of what TL offers. But you won't be wowed by the s/c.. just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Originally Posted by ed99

Dam too bad I was busy that day when you were up here. Would of love to check out that bad ass S/C.

Hope you manage to find AJ and the Midnight market.

Thanks! yea.. found AJ racing, i think my friend and i are going to be working with them on some future projects and what not.

and we found the night market too... great stuff, wish we could have met up

Thanks ed99!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
Hey buddy,
What you just wrote, I could have told you all that..........
Let me be honest here, I've had the Comptech S/C for what? 4 weeks now and I can honestly say I'm not a bit impressed by the blower at all. It's quick when it's under boost; much faster than a stock TL obviously. But it's not something that wows me... the torque is awful and you'll need to bring up the boost to about 4000 to really feel the pull.. if any. In low RPM, I feel my car is much slower than prior to installation of the s/c. However, the one thing that I really enjoy having the blower on is the way the charger whines. It intimidates others on the road when under WOT but I rarely bring it to WOT.
I've never had a s/c in my car before and so I figured I'd give it a shot at it. If I could do it all over again, I would save the money and not get it at all. I enoy the supercharger but I wouldn't do it again if I could. It's definitely not worth $4500.
For $32000 + $4500 = $36500, I would say it beats getting a mustang GT saleen edition ($38,000) because of what TL offers. But you won't be wowed by the s/c.. just my opinion.

I'm glad i'm not the only one.. lol
I gotta say though that the car has gotten alot better after 450 miles after install.
Low end has improved some what and after 4k RPMs, it takes off.

I am going to try to solve this loss in low end torque. When i put on the UR crank pulley i got way better low end and response and that's what i feel that is missing after the S/C. So i'm trying to get a Stock sized lightweight pulley made and see if i can get that feeling back.

and as for the wow factor, we gotta remember we are only running 4 pounds of boost. that's not that much. I'm also thinking and talking to some shops to see how i can raise the boost to about 6 or 7 psi without engine management work, since we don't have any options for management right now. crossing my fingers
Old 05-22-2006, 05:18 PM

I'm glad i'm not the only one.. lol
I gotta say though that the car has gotten alot better after 450 miles after install.
Low end has improved some what and after 4k RPMs, it takes off.

I am going to try to solve this loss in low end torque. When i put on the UR crank pulley i got way better low end and response and that's what i feel that is missing after the S/C. So i'm trying to get a Stock sized lightweight pulley made and see if i can get that feeling back.

and as for the wow factor, we gotta remember we are only running 4 pounds of boost. that's not that much. I'm also thinking and talking to some shops to see how i can raise the boost to about 6 or 7 psi without engine management work, since we don't have any options for management right now. crossing my fingers
As far as torque goes,
At the track I managed to pull a 2.28 60' NA.
With the blower, my best was 2.09 60'. I know there is more trq in my car. If you read the dyno numbers from an automatic it has an increased trq of 69 pounds at 2k rpms.
After 1st gear you dont really feel any trq anymore, you are right about that. But low end is definately there.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:59 PM
321 whp SAE

that's wierd.. i feel a lot of pull in 2nd gear.. and even 3rd when the blower is cold.. i gained almost 70 lbs of torque and definitely CAN feel it.. for those who don't really feel the s/c.. get it on the dyno.. make sure everything is working fine..
Old 05-22-2006, 08:51 PM
8 second & 150 mph member

I am very pleased with my s/c. No complaints here. $3800 for the blower isnt that bad since your getting almost oem quality stuff. 13.68 @ 3660 lbs= 297 fwhp. Ill take that for just 4 lbs of boost and cat back exhaust. $1300 for procats (that arent carb exempt, or emissions legal) $200 for cai, $100 for thermoblock spacers, $200 for crank pulley and $950 for cat back = $2750 and 265 fwhp so take your choice. Some are happy and others may not be. I have no problems with the torque in my car, easily will spin the tires first, second or third on new potenza re030's. As far as engine management, im sure theres more power to be found n/a but i think theres even more power to be found with the blower and two or three more lbs of boost. Power falls of n/a around 6300, s/c makes more all the way to the rev limiter. Im sure there is more power around 7300 if we can get there. With some engine mangagment we could lean the s/c cars out since the run pig rich to run them safely. Remember 11 to 1 compression isnt very boost friendly. Drive a s/c car first if your thinking of getting one and if your not thrilled then i guess it isnt your cup of tea. Not everyone needs or wants a blower. plenty of people are making good power n/a. Did i feel like having a cai or removing my resonator and getting procats to make the car louder? Absolutely not. My car is quite, drives like its stock, gets 26-28 mpg when im not beating on it and have a mid 13 second car when i feel like beatin on it.