GReddy vs. Comptech Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to know this too! If the drone is annoying at idle and the exhaust sound is too raspy that would drive me crazy! I wish you had a clip Ethan...
Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i'll be doing the Magnaflow ypipe to muffler to stock tips this week or next week, will post a sound clip ASAP. (although i may not be a great source since i also have Aznbos Stage 3 mod done too)

as stated above, stock tips FTMFW

i think my biggest gripe would be that i probably lost a few HP from all the jagged edges due to welding... but at this point it's more cosmetic than performance.

if aznbo can come out with a real catback that has square tips than all this will be promptly scrapped and a j-pipe will also be ordered

but until then ~ stock tips FTMFW ^^
Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by JCL622
i'll be doing the Magnaflow ypipe to muffler to stock tips this week or next week, will post a sound clip ASAP. (although i may not be a great source since i also have Aznbos Stage 3 mod done too)

as stated above, stock tips FTMFW

i think my biggest gripe would be that i probably lost a few HP from all the jagged edges due to welding... but at this point it's more cosmetic than performance.

if aznbo can come out with a real catback that has square tips than all this will be promptly scrapped and a j-pipe will also be ordered

but until then ~ stock tips FTMFW ^^
This is exactly what I want so please post pics/clip as soon as you can!!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by dmb4325
Without a resonator though isnt it really raspy or are the magnaflow mufflers taking care of that, you have a sound clip or video on you tube or anything?

not raspy at all. Its exactly what I was hoping for. Not loud enough to drive you fucking nuts on teh highway with droning. But loud enough when you're canning it in 2nd to 3rd going through 3000 RPM.

I couldnt of asked for it to sound better.

Nothing against GReddy, that set up is beautiful, very nicely done. I saw one at our Austin meet.

Im just not into the big tuna cans. In my opinion, this is my opinion only, they didnt look right on the TL. But beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM

whoa whoa Trancemission is getting DEEEEEP lol...

so i was encouraged by this thread and i'll be seeing the shop guy tommorow so he can give me an estimate and check out the best way to do the welding without having to add too much piping.

btw trancemission did you do Stage 3 and then the magnaflow+ypipe mod?

alot of ppl seem to think it's a bit TOOO loud, but i guess i wont know until i try
Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
it seems darksom wants something made from the catback, so that should provide some power gains if mandrel bend is used, and piping size is done right 2.5 / 2.25 (y)

its almost impossible to listen to a "youtube" clip and get an understanding of the exhaust sound. they all sound the same @ 64kps on the internet... you need to hear it in person
Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

whoa whoa Trancemission is getting DEEEEEP lol...

so i was encouraged by this thread and i'll be seeing the shop guy tommorow so he can give me an estimate and check out the best way to do the welding without having to add too much piping.

btw trancemission did you do Stage 3 and then the magnaflow+ypipe mod?

alot of ppl seem to think it's a bit TOOO loud, but i guess i wont know until i try
I dont know what stage 3 is so probably not...
Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
it seems darksom wants something made from the catback, so that should provide some power gains if mandrel bend is used, and piping size is done right 2.5 / 2.25 (y)

its almost impossible to listen to a "youtube" clip and get an understanding of the exhaust sound. they all sound the same @ 64kps on the internet... you need to hear it in person

arent all the exhausts availible from the cat back?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by trancemission
But beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them.
Fucking Dork...you know only I can say shit like that!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Ray, I just realized that Im too nice to you...
Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Ray, I just realized that Im too nice to you...
Hahaha...you know how we do mangg! Besides, am I not just as nice to you?

I gotta get you when I can, or you will get me! (remember nbp poem) hahahahaha!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

So after the Y if you want gains (assuming I am doing my own custom exhaust with mandrel) you need 2.25 piping? I have another thread up and someone was telling me i wanted 1.75 to 2 after the y pipe so I didnt restrict flow, but that just didnt sound right
Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by darksom1
Hahaha...you know how we do mangg! Besides, am I not just as nice to you?

I gotta get you when I can, or you will get me! (remember nbp poem) hahahahaha!

how could I forget. you're something else Ray, (off topic whore)
Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by dmb4325
So after the Y if you want gains (assuming I am doing my own custom exhaust with mandrel) you need 2.25 piping? I have another thread up and someone was telling me i wanted 1.75 to 2 after the y pipe so I didnt restrict flow, but that just didnt sound right

no, the piping already coming out of the Y is 2.25. Just go with exactly the mufflers and Y come in.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:28 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^ kinda didn't understand his reply so I will rephrase... but you will want to redo everything before the factory y pipe and back... because the stock diameter is 1.75" (maybe that is where dmb got confused)

stock diameter is 60mm (which is slightly larger than 2.25 at 2.37... but you don't want to go 2.5 because you will lose power)
Old 04-01-2008, 02:31 PM

god ppl are making this way too confusing.

the only real confusing part should be matching the correct part number from wherever you order from and that of the magnaflow or some other aftermarket product ID.

for those of you confused...just DUCK under the back of your car and look carefully.
the Y looking thing with an extra bar across it, is the factor Y pipe; and if you look at it...it's pretty crappy really.

so if you want to keep stock tips - and retain at least your current HP (minus w/e HP deduction you get from all the extra welding)

you want a 2.5" - dual 2.25" (Y pipe) and you'll need piping to a 2.25/2.25 muffler and then w/e tips you choose to attach to the muffler

trancemission: so the stage 3 i'm talking about is the Aznbo stage 3, 1 resonator delete and 1 resonator replaced with a dynomax one.

blackura is absolutely correct in that sound clips are a terrible way to gauge what the IRL sound is, but nonetheless, it gives somewhat of an idea.

and i would discourage any tinkering with the piping size in the back because mostly w/e you do will just end up having you lose power. too small and it gets choked, too big and it's just not breathing correctly. again what has worked and will continue to work is, 2.5 all the way to end of y pipe where it'll be dual 2.25 and then 2.25 all the way through until tips.

btw i'm scheduled for next week wed most likely; gonna slap on the RSB while the mufflers are all out too
Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

then no, I deleted both my resonator and mid muffler.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 PM

oh wow, both delete for a straight pipe? and you still added magnaflows? that's supposed to be even louder!!

if you dont think it's too loud, then the "Stage 3" + magnaflow setup must be just right! especially sincei know you're not one of those RICEY guys

woooo that made me that much happier looking foward to next week!!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I ordered the Greddy can wait. thanks everyone for the help. I also got silencers just in case
Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Trucki!!

I opted not to get silencers, since i saw someone with them and they looked really wierd and the fact you will have to drill through the tip to get it to stay in there.

I just got a resonator and I having a custom straight pipe put together with the resonator to replace the straight pipe in the Greddy piping. This should calm it down alittle, I'll post picks but I waiting on the Atlp J-pipe so I can do everything at once.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

This is what I want:

ATLP j-pipe
Magnaflow mufflers
Magnaflow resonator (or should I just use the stock one?)
Stock tips welded on

...ftmfw!!!! What do you guys think?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

This is what I want:

ATLP j-pipe
Magnaflow mufflers
Stock tips welded on

Ricerr
Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Ricerr
For real John man? Seriously? Nah, you just fucking with me!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:50 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ is gonna be too loud man.... unless you throw in an aero resonator
Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 PM

This is what I want:

ATLP j-pipe
Magnaflow mufflers
Stock tips welded on

yo man this is gonna be REALLY loud....i'd just save money and not get the Mufflers

go with mid muffler delete and dynomax resonator + J-pipe.....you'll preserve better HP too

with all 4 of those not to mention to make everything easier you'd have to add the Y-pipe to the list if you're gonna do mufflers it's gonna set off some alarms man lol
Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

ETHANNNNN!!!!!

You told me to get this stuff mannnn!!! You said it wouldn't be too loud! Are you trying to get payback on me?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:32 PM

haha yo Darksom.....i dunno what happened but like...for some absurd reason i just randomly bought the j-shift j-pipe and the test pipe......LOL?

i'll let ya know if it's too loud....LOL (don't even ask, i don't know what overcame me, i just ... started typing and before i knew it, i had bought it)

SOOOO....

i'm looking at:

J-shift J-pipe + test pipe
mid muffler delete
replaced mid resonator with dynomax
magnaflow y-pipe
magnaflow mufflers
stock tips?

praying to god it wont sound like civic coffee can
Old 04-02-2008, 08:58 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

haha yo Darksom.....i dunno what happened but like...for some absurd reason i just randomly bought the j-shift j-pipe and the test pipe......LOL?

i'll let ya know if it's too loud....LOL (don't even ask, i don't know what overcame me, i just ... started typing and before i knew it, i had bought it)

SOOOO....

i'm looking at:

J-shift J-pipe + test pipe
mid muffler delete
replaced mid resonator with dynomax
magnaflow y-pipe
magnaflow mufflers
stock tips?

praying to god it wont sound like civic coffee can
Do work son!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

ETHANNNNN!!!!!

You told me to get this stuff mannnn!!! You said it wouldn't be too loud! Are you trying to get payback on me?

I deleted my resonator AND mid muffler. I have magnaflow mufflers. I have a magnaflow Y pipe

and as god as my witness its not nearly as loud as the GReddy. you guys that say its going to be loud that havent seen it dont know wtf you're talking about.

I was just in Austin hosting a meet. I heard the GReddy myself. Ask anybody in the Dallas thread about my exhaust.

Ray, quit being a pussy and just do it. My buddy did the same set up with the resonator. He heard mine and went and got his resonator removed.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 PM

yea but, but...we're gonna do the J pipe too, and the test pipe

well at least i am ..... lol god i really hope i dont end up regretting it being too loud
Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I deleted my resonator AND mid muffler. I have magnaflow mufflers. I have a magnaflow Y pipe

and as god as my witness its not nearly as loud as the GReddy. you guys that say its going to be loud that havent seen it dont know wtf you're talking about.

I was just in Austin hosting a meet. I heard the GReddy myself. Ask anybody in the Dallas thread about my exhaust.

Ray, quit being a pussy and just do it. My buddy did the same set up with the resonator. He heard mine and went and got his resonator removed.
Trance man you had me laughing like shit at this post! Yeah man, I'm going to do it...just like you have it bro! Hahaha! I hope mine sounds as good as yours (read: hope my guy knows what the hell he is doing at the shop). Do you guys just go to any muffler shop or a high performance shop to get this stuff done?

One other thing, Ethan do you notice any gains with your setup after install? Any dropoff? I'm not big on the performance gains, but I don't want any dropoff either. You dyno your setup?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I have an 06 6MT. Does anyone have the part numbers for the Magnaflow mufflers and y-pipe?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 AM

i'll have the partnumbers on AZ in a few hours, too lazy to go out to the car, all my piping and stuff is in the trunk with my RSB

darksom, as stated before, anything you cut via the pipe will create jagged edges which in theory and i'm gonna assume in practice becomes part of the friction in stead of smooth airflow. I think it was one of the bigger reasons I jumped the gun so fast and ordered the j-pipe now instead of waiting for aznbo's...

i personally would hate to have my exhaust note changed and then to be slightly slower (even if i can't notice it, i dont want to think about the fact of it being slower)

although i have to say...just eyeballing the factory y-pipe and then looking at the magnaflow y pipe, i have to say that THAT part at least seems BETTER with the magnaflow...so that may create more efficient airflow.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Hey dark... are you going to chop up your stock exhaust?

if not... here is a part list

2.5" 3 bolt flange - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-3...spagenameZWDVW
Magnaflow 2.5" Resonator# 10436
Magnaflow Y-Pipe Transitions (2.5" ID/2.25" Dual)# 10758
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.5" cat to y pipe to transition 2.25" after the y pipe
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magnaflow Muffler (2.25" In 2.25" out)#14215

TIPS.... YOU ALREADY KNOW
Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 AM

i just woke up was about to go check out the part numbers....LOL, but before i do... the muffler itself...is the wrong model i think. you need the one that has 1 center and 1 offset outlet.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

u r right... sorry I don't sleep lol

Part # 14255
Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 PM

haha, WELLLLLL it looks like i DONT have to leave my apartment and look in the trunk then........ LOL
Old 04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
The Darker the berry....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those interested, you don't have to chop up the GReddy straight pipe to install a resonator to get rid of the drone. I took the stock straight-pipe that still had the stock resonator on it, cut it just behind the resonator, had a local muffler shop attach a flange and then connected it to GReddy Y-pipe. This completely got rid of the drone, and toned the sound down a little bit. I had ordered a magnaflow resonator but never got it installed (for sale cheap if anyone is interested). I actually put the GReddy straight pipe back on when I went to visit a fellow car-nut a few weeks back and switched back when I got home. Without the resonator, the volume was a bit much, but the cabin drone really bothered me. As for looks, I get eye-balled all the time, the big outlets just fill out the ass of the car perfectly.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

One other thing, Ethan do you notice any gains with your setup after install? Any dropoff? I'm not big on the performance gains, but I don't want any dropoff either. You dyno your setup?

to be honest, Im not sure. I never dyno'd my car. I never did the exhaust for HP.

I did it simply for sound.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I would go with greddy's. I fell in love with it all over again when my friend drove my car and i was driving his car behind my car. DAng it sounds so sweet on the outside, why can't it sound like that inside? But anywho, i love the way the greddy has that slanted look. It's so perfect.

Quick Reply: GReddy vs. Comptech Exhaust