GHL Motorsports to design 3G TL exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Meek32v6
Those look different to me.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out polished tips on the Borla Website:

http://www.borla.com/products/polished_tips.aspx

The single square, angle cut intercooled would look good if the size fits the bumper cutout.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by sqzbox

The single square, angle cut intercooled would look good if the size fits the bumper cutout.

IMO the intercooled tips look ghey!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by twigglius
IMO the intercooled tips look ghey!
IMO the stock tips are something different and if we're going to do a custom, we should keep it distinctive. Rounds, single or double, are too common, man.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Considering folks are balking at $750-$800 for a new system, adding a PAIR of tips at $192 EACH (that a $380 increase) is probably out of the question...
http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=3&type=64&desc=Polis hed+Tips|Dual+Square+Angle-Cut+Intercooled

Is anyone interested in a $1100 exhaust system?

Old 07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
My Daily Driver

screw it.....if your gonna add some nice tips why not add these at $649.00 each.

[endsarcasticrant]

I think the dual rounds will look hot.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Considering folks are balking at $750-$800 for a new system, adding a PAIR of tips at $192 EACH (that a $380 increase) is probably out of the question...
http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=3&type=64&desc=Polis hed+Tips|Dual+Square+Angle-Cut+Intercooled

Is anyone interested in a $1100 exhaust system?
I suggested the SINGLE square, angle cut intercooled tip ($58@) not the dual Total additional cost $116 at the Borla retail price. I'm sure GHL could do better

Hey if you can afford $40K for the car, what's a grand for an exhaust system?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
I like to whistle in my

IMO the stock tips are something different and if we're going to do a custom, we should keep it distinctive. Rounds, single or double, are too common, man.
I agree...How completing an exhaust with tips and another without so people can add their own at their own expense after they recieve it
Old 07-26-2006, 04:29 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I hear ya money bags...

I can only afford $32K for a car... I far too many other hobbies that are more expensive. Harley's, Homes, and Children just to name a few.

...and it appears the concensus here won't pay a G for an exhaust, considering AZ had a GB running for $900 for The Comptech exhaust... and they couldn't get the 10 buyers.

The only way this build is ever going to make it is: 1) interest 2) performance and quality is there 3) affordable for the masses.

If you got the bills, go build the perfect exhaust with your ideal tips.

This system will get what fits the above criterea.

I suggested the SINGLE square, angle cut intercooled tip ($58@) not the dual Total additional cost $116 at the Borla retail price. I'm sure GHL could do better

Hey if you can afford $40K for the car, what's a grand for an exhaust system?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Meek32v6
I agree...How completing an exhaust with tips and another without so people can add their own at their own expense after they recieve it
Not cost effective for the manufacturer. Doing so causes the expectation that the kit will be significantly cheaper for tips/kits... and the logistics involved. I don't see comptech offering such a kit...

You guys that just want these crazy custom tips... Save yourself a bundle. Buy your tips and a set of Magnaflows and got have it done...

but don't be upset when you see this system in production, cause it's gonna rock. But we have to keep it affordable for thebroke asses out there ...
Old 07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I wonder if he has figured out yet that he should just develop the dang thing to what he feels looks good and go from there. You get too many opinions when you ask and essentially will end up leaving someone out in the cold as you cant make everybody happy. DEVELOP the system...people will come. Let the group develop the system....you will never get to that end? I mean pre-lim research is important to establish a market demand...dont get me wrong...but too much of this public imput will stifle the project.

Example...go to a Meijer (or enter your local HUGE box grocery store name here) and take a walk down their snack section with five friends....ask em what they would like to snack on as you are walking down the isle and decide before you walk to the end of the isle. By the time you get to the end of the isle...I bet you dont have concensus. What you will have is fifteen different suggestions and no snack picked yet...and every suggestion from Cheetos to Corn Chips to Chips and Dip or something. Sometimes too many choices are NOT a good thing...and need to be made FOR them in order to get to an end. Not only this...often times many of the choices are not even valid or feasible sometimes given the magnatude or cost to produce product with said option. Therefore (yes I know...Cheetos dont have JACK to do with exhausts...lol) I would just develop out the product from here and release it. As you state...the MFG has specific things that are "their thing" or their look and such...(dual tips I think was something you mentioned was a trademark look for them, ect) which they would want incorporated within a project too. And there are usually reason for that....recognition....they can do it well...and usually within cost projections....ect. I would go at it alone from here.....but thats just my
Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

No worries... Twigglius and I have this under control. Input is fine, but you'll get what you get, no doubt. Just trying to keep the interest high until we can get GHL really engaged...
I'm just trying to manage expectations more than anything.

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I wonder if he has figured out yet that he should just develop the dang thing to what he feels looks good and go from there. You get too many opinions when you ask and essentially will end up leaving someone out in the cold as you cant make everybody happy. DEVELOP the system...people will come. Let the group develop the system....you will never get to that end? I mean pre-lim research is important to establish a market demand...dont get me wrong...but too much of this public imput will stifle the project.

Example...go to a Meijer (or enter your local HUGE box grocery store name here) and take a walk down their snack section with five friends....ask em what they would like to snack on as you are walking down the isle and decide before you walk to the end of the isle. By the time you get to the end of the isle...I bet you dont have concensus. What you will have is fifteen different suggestions and no snack picked yet...and every suggestion from Cheetos to Corn Chips to Chips and Dip or something. Sometimes too many choices are NOT a good thing...and need to be made FOR them in order to get to an end. Not only this...often times many of the choices are not even valid or feasible sometimes given the magnatude or cost to produce product with said option. Therefore (yes I know...Cheetos dont have JACK to do with exhausts...lol) I would just develop out the product from here and release it. As you state...the MFG has specific things that are "their thing" or their look and such...(dual tips I think was something you mentioned was a trademark look for them, ect) which they would want incorporated within a project too. And there are usually reason for that....recognition....they can do it well...and usually within cost projections....ect. I would go at it alone from here.....but thats just my
Old 07-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Moved to the LOU

Just talked to Jeff. We are only waiting on a gasket. As soon as he gets them from Acura I am going in for fitting and testing. We are getting close!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Moved to the LOU

This exhaust will be developed for what we feel is good. The input is great but that doesn't mean the exhaust will be available with 4 different tip options, because it won't. This exhaust will be developed with dual tips on each side. The only way this will change is if it looks terrible on the back end of the car.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
My Daily Driver

Cant wait for the pics
Old 07-26-2006, 05:37 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by twigglius
This exhaust will be developed for what we feel is good. The input is great but that doesn't mean the exhaust will be available with 4 different tip options, because it won't. This exhaust will be developed with dual tips on each side. The only way this will change is if it looks terrible on the back end of the car.
Ah...I misunderstood the banter....I thought it was still being developed and you were taking suggestions still....a pitfall I have run into myself before at a few times. Eventually you gotta just DO it and not listen anymore...lol! Glad to hear it is still on track and workin out! Good job man!! Really look forward to checking out the results!!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:07 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Ah...I misunderstood the banter....I thought it was still being developed and you were taking suggestions still....a pitfall I have run into myself before at a few times. Eventually you gotta just DO it and not listen anymore...lol! Glad to hear it is still on track and workin out! Good job man!! Really look forward to checking out the results!!
Get out of my thread and go ship my engine cover...
Old 07-26-2006, 06:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looking for a nice exhaust sound

Does anyone have a good thought about a decent exhaust sound for the 05' TL? Don't want to play too much with Acuras finely tuned machine, just want a nice sound....
Old 07-26-2006, 07:40 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

lol....ok ok....I hear ya! I do need to get out to the shop already...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate what everyone is doing. I just can't wait for this bad boy to come out!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Moved to the LOU

ahahhaha
Old 07-27-2006, 03:10 AM
My Daily Driver

twig... if this works out, any idea on when he will be able to ship?
Old 07-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Twig, please don't forget to see if they will be able to do just the tips alone...thank you!!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
any updates?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:36 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Twigg... what's the status wildman? the good stuff was supposed to happen yesterday...
Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Intermediate

omg! i'm so antsy for pictures of this product!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:11 PM
wait for me!

Same here i cant wait to see this. My friend has a GTI and its his dream to have a GHL exhaust.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Moved to the LOU

I know guys... I can't wait either. Jeff did not receive the gaskets from Acura last week so that is the only hold up. I know I said I would have pics by Saturday and I'm sorry that I don't. As soon as I hear from Jeff I will post and let you know.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:39 PM
My Daily Driver

damn slow acura parts departments.......

haha...j/k. Can't wait to see the pics though, and a sound clip!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry, us Acura folks can have tons of patience. Just bring out the rumored Type S TL right now. I can put a deposit down!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Cruisin'

If you guys read the new Motor Trend with the new preview of 07-08 cars the Acura Tl section talks about the TL-S and how it will come out.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

If you guys read the new Motor Trend with the new preview of 07-08 cars the Acura Tl section talks about the TL-S briefly.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by sotgecho
If you guys read the new Motor Trend with the new preview of 07-08 cars the Acura Tl section talks about the TL-S briefly.
Let's tay on topic... but yes it sound like an overpriced TL-S is coming. By description it's an A-Spec with the RL motor in it for $38K+... No thanks. I can get 300HP out of a 2006 with CAI, GHL Exhaust, and procats... and have $5K fora supercharger if I want one.

We're waiting on some flanges to be made, which are crafted right off the OEM flange. Until we have a stock one to build from, we're stuck. Jeff says it'll be there this week.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Magnaflow Performance

Magnaflow's unpolished system with little fartcan mufflers is $630...

I asked you once before. Please stop.

This is completely unprofessional-

Talk about the positives, not the negatives-

I work for Magnaflow-

1. We do not make a kit for the TL-

2. All of our catback systems are polished-

3. I have checked our catalog twice, and nothing we have has the description little fart can muffler underneath it, leading me to believe we dont build such an animal-

There is a reason that Chip Fooze, Boyd Cottington, Jerry Magnunson, Mario Andretti, Saleen, Roush, Steeda, Ivan Stewart, Marko Andretti, Panoz, Grave Digger, exc exc exc exc exc

All use Magnaflow Exhaust Systems-

It is absolutely great that a reputable company has decided to build a system for the TL, which I know based on their work will be a nice exhaust system, but I can assure you that they would not appreciate the person representing them on this board by continually trying to put other exhaust companies in a negative light-

I can tell you first hand that the exhaust systems they build have enough positive selling points that you should not even need to bring false accusations regarding Magnaflow into the conversation...........

so please stop.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^I agree, I just think this is his way of building hype for this product. I'm sure GHL wouldn't be happy if they create this thing then no one wants it except the 2 guys that came to them about the product. I'm not sure how large the market is for this now since comptech owns it, but I'm sure when the 3rd gen TL becomes affordable to the masses products like GHL exhaust will be popular. I don't think there is a real reason to put down any companies products....... Especially since Magnaflow has been around so long and provide great products. I've had multiple magnaflow setups on vehicles my father and I redone. 66 Chevelle, 69 Mustang, 72 Nova, nothing but top notch products. I'm sure if they were to build a cat back system for the TL, it would not only sound great......but also perform great also!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Angry

Gimme a break.

http://performance.drivewire.com/exh...ckexhaust.html

I only made reference to it for pricing purposes. I hardly consider my statement negative. Every picture I've found of Magnaflow systems shows ONLY the mufflers as polished... I use that to explain that GHL's systems are polished tip to tip, and thus the increased costs.

If Magnaflow systems are fully polished tip to tip... publish some pictures for the consumer to view because I can't find a picture for the Accord.

I am attempting to help create excitiement for this product in hopes to create enough interest to facilitate a group buy.

This a public forum for TL enthusiasts. This is not Magnflowzine.com.
I've given you your due press and credit (hell, I even explained I have 2 Magnaflow mufflers and a resonator in the trunk if this doesn't work out)... so, please back off...

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
I asked you once before. Please stop.

This is completely unprofessional-

Talk about the positives, not the negatives-

I work for Magnaflow-

1. We do not make a kit for the TL-

2. All of our catback systems are polished-

3. I have checked our catalog twice, and nothing we have has the description little fart can muffler underneath it, leading me to believe we dont build such an animal-

There is a reason that Chip Fooze, Boyd Cottington, Jerry Magnunson, Mario Andretti, Saleen, Roush, Steeda, Ivan Stewart, Marko Andretti, Panoz, Grave Digger, exc exc exc exc exc

All use Magnaflow Exhaust Systems-

It is absolutely great that a reputable company has decided to build a system for the TL, which I know based on their work will be a nice exhaust system, but I can assure you that they would not appreciate the person representing them on this board by continually trying to put other exhaust companies in a negative light-

I can tell you first hand that the exhaust systems they build have enough positive selling points that you should not even need to bring false accusations regarding Magnaflow into the conversation...........

so please stop.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyways...any news on the tips?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Magnaflow Performance

I only made reference to it for pricing purposes. I hardly consider my statement negative.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/parts/15881_lg.jpg

Here is a picture of the Mustang system- notice the piping we use is polished-

Yes I understand that this is a public forum for TL enthusiasts, and if you didnt notice, I happen to own a TL-

This site is not magnaflowzine.com, but its not kennedyzine.com either-

If you do not consider

"Magnaflow's unpolished system with little fartcan mufflers is $630..."

to be negative, well......................

As I mentioned before, there are enough positive points about the system GHL is making, as they are a reputable company, there is no need to mention Magnaflow-

I will make you a deal-

You go back delete every time you mentioned Magnaflow in this thread, and I will delete all of my posts- in order to keep this thread on subject-
Old 08-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Magnaflow Performance

Originally Posted by lembowski
^^^^I agree, I just think this is his way of building hype for this product. I'm sure GHL wouldn't be happy if they create this thing then no one wants it except the 2 guys that came to them about the product. I'm not sure how large the market is for this now since comptech owns it, but I'm sure when the 3rd gen TL becomes affordable to the masses products like GHL exhaust will be popular. I don't think there is a real reason to put down any companies products....... Especially since Magnaflow has been around so long and provide great products. I've had multiple magnaflow setups on vehicles my father and I redone. 66 Chevelle, 69 Mustang, 72 Nova, nothing but top notch products. I'm sure if they were to build a cat back system for the TL, it would not only sound great......but also perform great also!
Thanks!!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/parts/15881_lg.jpg

Here is a picture of the Mustang system- notice the piping we use is polished-
Super... We're not talking about American Muscle car ststem that Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington use, which I believe to be Magnoflow's "bread and butter". We're talking about Magnaflow's IMPORTsystems, which don'tappear to have the level of quality (or price) of said Mustang systems.
I was specifically talking about the Magnaflow system for the Honda Accord, because the design is very similar to the TL's, thus the assumption would be the cost would be similar well...
Since you have a penchant for taking my statements out of context, let me repost the rest of my original statment:
Please find me a comparable cat-back (dual mufflers and a resonator), for any other car, from a reputable exhaust company for $700... GHL quality and workmanship aside.
For and example, Honda Accord V6 cat-backs (on a quick google):
HKS: $857
Greddy: $858
Comptech: $960

Magnaflow's unpolished system with little fartcan mufflers is $630...

Please be realistic, especially given the "one-off" nature of this product. The demand isn't very high, hence Comptech is the only cat-back provider to date, so GHL cannot amortize the development costs over many units.
This build would not even happen if Twig wasn't taking his own time and driving to Mesa to help with the design work, and I didn't already have experience working with GHL in the past and was there to convince GHL the market wants this.
As you can see from that post, I'm comparing the relative costs of other systems.
Now from Magnaflows own website (98-02) Accord:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=Sport&id=210

There it is... and I don't know how else to describe it. It's a Magnaflow system. It's tubing is unpolished. It uses little fartcan mufflers. And it costs $779 Direct from Magnaflow. (Actually, the sytem I linked 3 posts agao uses the SMALLER, cylindrical fartcans, but I can't find a real picture of it).

Yes I understand that this is a public forum for TL enthusiasts, and if you didnt notice, I happen to own a TL-
Super, great to have another enthusiast... but your postings are insinuating you're representing Magnaflow as a company. Have you paid your Acurazine support dues? Perhaps you should talk to moderator about becoming a supporting vendor.

If you do not consider

"Magnaflow's unpolished system with little fartcan mufflers is $630..."

to be negative, well......................

As I mentioned before, there are enough positive points about the system GHL is making, as they are a reputable company, there is no need to mention Magnaflow-
I still don't consider my statement negative... It's not. It's a description of what Magnaflow's offering is for an Accord, and what it costs... as part of a quick google market study of what stainless cat-back systems cost.

...but you know what, my posts could be negative. What if I used a Magnflow product in the past, and had a negative experience? Would you still be "on me" like this. I've given Magnaflow nothing but credit, but I am most certainly using your pricing/quality as a sanity check.
You've taken all my posts out of context, and to a ridiculous level of scrutiny. I almost feel like you, representing Magnaflow, feel threatened by a competitor product in development, and you feel the need to undermine my credibility and thus the creation of it.
Go ahead. I'm not a vendor. The product will speak for itself when it's done. Not sure what you're going to do when people start getting these systems installed and raving "how much better the GHL system is compared to xxx system"... Perhaps you'll divert your energy towards them instead.

All my postings have been tactful, observational statements of competitor products and nothing more... Yet you continue to beat this issue like Tommy Lee's drum.

I will make you a deal-

You go back delete every time you mentioned Magnaflow in this thread, and I will delete all of my posts- in order to keep this thread on subject-
No deal.
1) I can't. I'm not a moderator. If you take issue with my posts, please take it up with an Acurazine moderator.

2) My posts are un-biased and valid. Your most recent beef is purely the results of a quick google search market analysis, and the results of my observations (seen above). If you take the fact your import cat-back systems are not fully polished, and use fartcan mufflers as negative, perhaps you're barking up the wrong tree as a Magnaflow employee.

Now, If we may, can we get on with this.
Twigglius, can you call Jeff and find out where those flanges are... This is getting old.

Quick Reply: GHL Motorsports to design 3G TL exhaust!