Getting the TL Autocross ready

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016 | 03:43 PM
Advanced

Getting the TL Autocross ready

So I'm attending my first autocross event in a couple of weeks and would like to take my TL ('08 Auto). Besides basic fluids, are there any particular suspension or performance upgrades recommended?

It's bone stock as of now. I'm going to order a CAI and throttle body spacer in the next couple of days. I'm also up to date on basic maintenance (timing belt, water pump, oil change, transmission drain and refill and pads) within the last 5k miles.

It'll be in a body shop either this week or the next as two assholes decided to hit me and leave (work & school). So I'm getting a Type-S bumper put on and some painting done.

Back to my question, what's recommended? (inb4 "6spd swap, supercharger).

Old 09-16-2016 | 04:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bimmitup
So I'm attending my first autocross event in a couple of weeks and would like to take my TL ('08 Auto). Besides basic fluids, are there any particular suspension or performance upgrades recommended?

It's bone stock as of now. I'm going to order a CAI and throttle body spacer in the next couple of days. I'm also up to date on basic maintenance (timing belt, water pump, oil change, transmission drain and refill and pads) within the last 5k miles.

It'll be in a body shop either this week or the next as two assholes decided to hit me and leave (work & school). So I'm getting a Type-S bumper put on and some painting done.

Back to my question, what's recommended? (inb4 "6spd swap, supercharger).

skip the CAI and especially the TBS... you wont see faster times just cause you replaced your intake with a metal pipe
suspension > performance

coilovers or a nice spring/shock combo
upgraded rear sway bar is a must
wide lightweight wheels like the RPF1 are very popular.. throw some 255 or 265s on there and you'll have plenty of grip

heres a 3rd gen auto TL doing big things in autocross... competing in nationals AND setting records
The following users liked this post:
Bimmitup (09-17-2016)
Old 09-16-2016 | 04:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by champaned_out
skip the CAI and especially the TBS... you wont see faster times just cause you replaced your intake with a metal pipe
suspension > performance

coilovers or a nice spring/shock combo
upgraded rear sway bar is a must
wide lightweight wheels like the RPF1 are very popular.. throw some 255 or 265s on there and you'll have plenty of grip

heres a 3rd gen auto TL doing big things in autocross... competing in nationals AND setting records
Okay so I scrap the TBS.

What I'm looking at

Lowering springs (0.7' - 1.5')
Progressive RSB
Type-S FSB
DC CAI
Old 09-16-2016 | 06:36 PM
10th Gear

I'm gonna be doing the same in a few weeks with my TL. Would love to know how well they handle on an autocross track!
Old 09-16-2016 | 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I've autocrossed my TL many of times, I wouldn't start modding right away. Autocross is more about driver than car. I would just make sure your car passes tech and just have fun! Once you have one event under your belt then start think about what you want to do with the car. See if you could get someone to ride along with you to give your pointers and get there early and make sure to walk the course a couple of times.
Bimmitup (09-17-2016)
Old 09-16-2016 | 11:03 PM
10th Gear

I've been doing a little bit of "autocross" in a sense on my own for a bit. I found a place near me that's pretty empty with one way curvy roads that are surrounded by mainly grass and bushes (in case I accidentally lose control). Lotta fun where I've been practicing just wish there weren't speed bumps on the longer straights. Took a quick video of it too if you wanna check it out.

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
I've autocrossed my TL many of times, I wouldn't start modding right away. Autocross is more about driver than car. I would just make sure your car passes tech and just have fun! Once you have one event under your belt then start think about what you want to do with the car. See if you could get someone to ride along with you to give your pointers and get there early and make sure to walk the course a couple of times.
Bimmitup (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016 | 11:52 AM
Mr. Detail

I'd start with the TL-S rear anti-roll bar if you have a base model. 20 mm vs 17 mm thickness, it will help reduce understeer so the back end will come around a bit more quickly. If you have the TL-S, then the Progress 24 mm bar is the way to go. Add an upper strut bar, doesn't help handling that much but it does tighten up the front end and make it feel more responsive. You can do both (even if you go with the Progress bar) for around $250-300.

Add in lighter wheels and a long tube J-pipe, that will help acceleration.

Autocross is true grass roots racing so don't go crazy spending too much money on the car. Do a few things, dial it in and stay consistent.
Bimmitup (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016 | 01:03 PM
Advanced

Thanks to you all for the tips!

I want to do a little bit of modding to the TL to make it more enjoyable as it'll be my daily until I buy a S2k (the goal). I'm not going crazy and want to keep the total under a grand (excluding maintenance).

I do have the base model and did look at TL-S RSB options too. As Connor pointed, I probably will do the first event bone stock just to get a baseline of how the car handles. And if I continue, I'll slowly continue modifications.

I will bring my GoPro & DSLR and try to get some good footage. I do have a bit as it's not until Oct 1st.
Old 09-17-2016 | 01:34 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I'd start with the TL-S rear anti-roll bar if you have a base model. 20 mm vs 17 mm thickness, it will help reduce understeer so the back end will come around a bit more quickly. If you have the TL-S, then the Progress 24 mm bar is the way to go. Add an upper strut bar, doesn't help handling that much but it does tighten up the front end and make it feel more responsive. You can do both (even if you go with the Progress bar) for around $250-300.

Add in lighter wheels and a long tube J-pipe, that will help acceleration.

Autocross is true grass roots racing so don't go crazy spending too much money on the car. Do a few things, dial it in and stay consistent.

Would the 24mm progress bar fit on a base TL?
Old 09-17-2016 | 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Please leave the spirited driving off what looks to be a park road, that's not place to be driving like that, nor is any public road. What if there was a bunch of kids riding their bikes on that road? And I wouldn't call that one bit low risk, it doesn't take a very large tree to make short work of a car. Keep it at the track or AutoX's, I pay about $400 for a two day track event, it's way cheaper than a ticket or a ticket.... It would be best to take that video down.... You don't have to go fast to have fun.

Here's one of my AutoX video's it's a winter series, that while not fast is very fun and SAFE. It's hosted by Road America, in Elkhart Lake WI.

connor_1_dirks (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016 | 01:48 PM
10th Gear

I'll take the advice and take it down
Old 09-17-2016 | 08:39 PM
Mr. Detail

Originally Posted by connor_1_dirks
Would the 24mm progress bar fit on a base TL?
Yes, but it may cause excessive oversteer if you have the stock regular TL front anti-roll bar. Using the stock TL-S front bar and 24 mm Progress bar in the rear on mine works very well but the Accord weighs less than a TL. So you might want to upgrade beyond the TL-S front bar if you want to use the Progress bar in the rear or your car might be too tail happy.