exhaust set up in cali

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007 | 05:22 AM
07 TL type S NBP!

exhaust set up in cali

So alright, i'm looking to start the mods on my 07 TL type S and as I've searched the forum it looks like the E-shift procats are a good way to get some xtra hp, however, cali is and doesn't accept the CARB stamp, etc. Any other options for hp gains on exhaust?

Or, is it possible to disguise the set up or made to change in and out for smogging? Or, with changing pipes can it be made to look like a bolt on? Let me know what ya'll got. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2007 | 05:48 AM
Team Owner

Usually you can find a place that will overlook the visual as long as it passes through the tailpipe. If they don't stand out, look fairly stock, and have been on the car for a while with the usual discoloration, you will probably be ok.

For example, on my other car, me and a friend with the same type of car both got headers. I had mine coated a dull silver, he had his done in bright blue. Guess which one got denied at the same smog shop...
Old 10-20-2007 | 11:16 AM
Team Owner

modi:
CARB= California Air Resources Board
If it carries that stamp, its LEGAL in califonia and many other states use that standard as their.
That board certificate says no extra smog is created by that mod and they give it an official approval number- doesnt mean it helps- just doesnt hurt anything

Everything from fuel line magnets-tornados-headers-carbs- can apply for one- and if it passes the test- gets approval and smog tech cannot deny its use

If a local shop denied you- and you had the paperwork showing it had approval= go to the state referee station- but dont have anything else ~wrong~ with your car there!!

When in doubt- ask the local tuner shop where they take their cars~~
Old 10-20-2007 | 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Yes- receipts are everything to the tech- if paperwork shows CARB approval number,
sales invoice with part # matches the car and the paperwork, then all is well.

You need to have all the paperwork in hand before the test so there is an understanding that this car is legally modified with paper trail to prove it

I know, my truck has been Edelbrocked and first time the smog guy saw it- had to check every hose and make sure that paper matched the parts- its their butt -as in $10k fine and no working in the industry for 5 years- state smog inspector lic revoked- thats bad

If they dont know you- of course the shop will be careful- you MAY be the state detective trying to test them- see if they do cheaters- happens every day

The computer controlled cars are subject to more regulations as they're easily and adversly affected by cat changes and other mods

Go talk to the tuner shops and their smog guy- A good welder can make a quick change flange for you if needed- 3 bolts on each end and back to stock it goes
Old 10-20-2007 | 11:29 AM
Team Owner

If you live in CA and drive an 07- you are exempt from smog test for the first 4-5 years
because the Emissions warranty covers you during that time for any needed repairs-
so no reason for car to fail a smog test!!

Ask the smog guy to be sure- they keep changing the rules
Old 10-20-2007 | 01:31 PM
Team Owner

There's no doubt he will find a place as most smog places don't know as much as you think about mods. I got failed due to a big frontmount intercooler and 3" piping that stood out like a sore thumb,. We argued for 30 minutes until I finally had to go home and print out the papers from the internet showing that intercoolers were exempt and did not need an EO or CARB number. No chance in hell of ever passsing smog now.
Old 10-20-2007 | 02:20 PM
FizzyStatus!

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Usually you can find a place that will overlook the visual as long as it passes through the tailpipe. If they don't stand out, look fairly stock, and have been on the car for a while with the usual discoloration, you will probably be ok.

For example, on my other car, me and a friend with the same type of car both got headers. I had mine coated a dull silver, he had his done in bright blue. Guess which one got denied at the same smog shop...
hahah
Old 10-20-2007 | 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Thats why I say ask the tuner-speed shops in town
They know a few people because THEY all have smogs~

AND we should be on the original issue, which is how long is a new car exempt from smog check in Ca
Check their website and then you can do what you want and put it back later- dont lose the parts!!!
Old 10-22-2007 | 12:43 AM
Registered VTEC junkie

Post Anyone with Pro-cats in CA willing to step up?

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
modi:
CARB= California Air Resources Board
If it carries that stamp, its LEGAL in califonia and many other states use that standard as their.
That board certificate says no extra smog is created by that mod and they give it an official approval number- doesnt mean it helps- just doesnt hurt anything

Everything from fuel line magnets-tornados-headers-carbs- can apply for one- and if it passes the test- gets approval and smog tech cannot deny its use

If a local shop denied you- and you had the paperwork showing it had approval= go to the state referee station- but dont have anything else ~wrong~ with your car there!!

When in doubt- ask the local tuner shop where they take their cars~~
The whole point of having a CARB exempt number is saying that the product is approved by the board and making it legal to use in a vehicle. As long as it has a CARB exempt number stamp, I think it should pass the visual inspection. I remember having DC headers on my Integra but DC forgot to put the stamp on and I failed the smog check. DC sends me replacement header with the CARB stamp and it was all good at the smog station.
Perhaps with our set up, we're actually replacing the stock cats and not just exhaust pipes. Maybe this is the issue at hand. We just need someone who has Pro-Cats installed in CA to go to a smog station or referree and get the final decision.C'mon peeps, let's get this issue settled! No doubt, Pro-cats are one the best mods available.
Old 10-22-2007 | 07:40 PM
07 TL type S NBP!

Thanks for the info guys!