Endless quad exhaust Drone

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Endless quad exhaust Drone

Anyone else get a decent amount of drone on their exhaust? When I read minimal drone I thought close to what my stage 3 stock type S exhaust was, this drones substantially more but only audible at the 2k-2.5k rpm range as in over my speaker volume. anything outside of that there zero drone. I just havent heard anyone else mention the amount of drone before. Just sucks that its right at cruising rpm for my 20min highway commute and I usually shift at 2500rpms, If i take it higher then theres no drone. I like the system other than that though.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have this exhaust and the same thoughts about the drone. I just have the endless exhaust alone and that is the same rpms it'll drone at too. I've heard of people adding bigger resonators (Magnaflow 12460), but that was when they had PCD or HFPCs. I want to make the drone quieter but not the exhaust notes. I may try adding that same resonator though. If you find a good resonator or anything to reduce the drone please let me know!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Im planning on adding another magnaflow inline, are you sure about that part number? It comes up as a dual in dual out muffler. I currently only have the catback and 3rd cat delete. Have the an endless Jpipe on the shelf waiting on the HFPC to arrive. Im in the same boat, I want to reduce the drone to where its just slightly there but keep the exhaust notes. Even with the windows open Im still hearing the intake over the exhaust at WOT.

Last edited by tiresmokinV8; 04-12-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:37 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Add a jpipe and itll reduce the drone. Basically what is happening is the sound is getting stuck around that area and by adding a jpipe it makes the air flow easier and more towards your exhaust instead of being stuck that the jpipe that basically sits very close the driver
Old 04-20-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^uhhh..........probably should research sound frequencies

a resonator will help cancel out extra sound frequencies(waves) from the engine.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by winkyyy
Add a jpipe and itll reduce the drone. Basically what is happening is the sound is getting stuck around that area and by adding a jpipe it makes the air flow easier and more towards your exhaust instead of being stuck that the jpipe that basically sits very close the driver
Did this make any sense when you were writing it??
Old 04-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Going through the same thing with a Tanabe Medallion exhaust. Most people would consider it quiet for after market and while it is, freeway speed tip in (like when going up a hill) is louder than I would like. Since I'm doing Art Pipes too (resonated test pipes similar to PCD's on an Acura/Honda) I need to do that first.

If you plan any other exhaust mods, get those out of the way. That might change the tone, volume, rpm it occurs, etc. Don't want to do something, then have to redo it later after another mod.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Drone at highway speed is certainly annoying. Guess it doesn't faze some people as the louder the better. Not on the TL, but our RX7 Turbo we purchased new, many years ago I installed a Racing Beat Rev II complete exhaust and it sure was annoying. It was on for 1 week, pulled it off, sold the system and went a different route. Still have the car, but with an exhaust that doesn't have the drone at highway speeds and is still a pleasure to drive.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 314_04TL
Did this make any sense when you were writing it??
I believe what he means by J-pipe, is called a helmholtz resonator and not the j-pipe associated with exhaust upgrades. Basically its a pipe, in the shape of a j that you add on to your exhaust system before the muffler. It breaks up the resonance that causes drone without affecting the exhaust note. Bamm! Drone be gone. It's a cheap! and a great solution to drone issues. The problem with adding another resonator is that it also quiets your exhaust note. Guys on the Ford Raptor Forum are doing this with great success!

Heres the link! Check it out. HelmHoltz resonator - No more drone ! - FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor
Old 04-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's an explanation video!