The Comptech Supercharger Will Be Here Nov. 05

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait to hear the results after someone buys this. to bad I'm in a lease.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pimplayahustla
This supercharger is not going to produce a good bang for the buck in my opinion at $4500 - a supercharger on a motor of this displacement should produce at least 100whp and another 50 lb ft of tq. I will only go forced induction on my car if a good centrifigul supercharger comes out producing gains like the Vortech did on the 99-00 Civic Si = 120whp for $4500. I say be patient and see what comes out - another case and point - Comptech was the first company to come out with a race header for the RSX Type S and I along with so many others paid the crazy $1100 price for this piece which produced about 10hp max gain. Later DC Sports made one just as nice for $400 and it actually outgained the comptech header. Wait to see what other companies are planning before making your decision or as an impulse buyer you'll possibly regret it later
Bro, ain't no other company gunna produce a supercharger other than Comptech -- mark my words. If such a company existed, they had since 2001 w/ the CL Type S to produce a charger... and it's now 2005, so lemme know when I can stop holding my breath. Comptech knows Honda's and Acura's intimately. Case closed. And bang for your buck is very subjective, and though I respect your opinion, i disagree. To you, you play the numbers on paper -- and that's great. To me, I enjoy my drive from the time I hit the keyfob to open my doors, to the time when I hit it again to lock the doors when I come home from work. $4500 will give me more enjoyment everytime I hit the gas pedal .. and I do that about 100 times a day .. and about 300 times on the weekend. So for me, that's definitely bang for my buck.

but again, I do respect your opinion.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:36 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This supercharger is not going to produce a good bang for the buck in my opinion at $4500 - a supercharger on a motor of this displacement should produce at least 100whp and another 50 lb ft of tq. I will only go forced induction on my car if a good centrifigul supercharger comes out producing gains like the Vortech did on the 99-00 Civic Si = 120whp for $4500. I say be patient and see what comes out - another case and point - Comptech was the first company to come out with a race header for the RSX Type S and I along with so many others paid the crazy $1100 price for this piece which produced about 10hp max gain. Later DC Sports made one just as nice for $400 and it actually outgained the comptech header. Wait to see what other companies are planning before making your decision or as an impulse buyer you'll possibly regret it later
Getting an additional 100 "wheel" hp from a 270hp engine would be asking a lot.. Especially for a street legal/"longevity in mind" bolt-on supercharger. A 30-40% "engine" hp gain is more realistic - and thats ~ what the claimed 60whp gain is... I would also think torque increase would be around 40 ft lbs....?

I'm anxious to see
Old 03-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Last I saw on the CL-S board, a TL-S w/ charger and all the other comptech goodies ran a 13.9 w/ the high boost pulley. W/o the high boost pulley, he ran a 14.2. Problem was that there was tons of wheelspin up front, as you can imagine.

The best time so far in a CLS w/ S/C and high boost pulley is 13.3@108. MrSteve's car. My best is 13.4@105. The TLS and CLS cars should run nearly identical times.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Blown LS6!!

Who really cares about peak gains. The $1100 headers I added produced 30whp peak gains. However, that's only for the last 2000rpm. The rest of the time you gain nothing. In fact, you lose a few hp along the way up to 5500rpm. The S/C gives you consisent gains throughout the entire powerband. The roots-type blower adds needed torque down low and makes this car infinitely more drivable in day-to-day traffic. Once you hit VTEC the blower really shines. My car dynos a little less than 200whp stock. It dynos nearly 295whp with the blower and smaller pulley. That's a 33% gain while still maintaining a very safe 5.5psi level of boost. Good bang for the buck if you ask me...you did ask me didn't you?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:32 PM
302.7 WHP 251.3 Torque

Greetings:

I was at Comptech March 9, 2005 to get the Sport Springs installed. At that time they had just finished reverting a 04TL MT back to stock to trade it in on a 05TL AT. At that time Comptech had not done any work on the S/C for an AT.

The work on the S/C for the MT was well underway.

They told me it would be this "Summer" for the S/C for the AT.

Tim
Old 03-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro

Seattle CL-s, what kind of gas do you use? If I get the s/c, will I need special gas or will 91 octane work?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Blown LS6!!

Originally Posted by JOES05tl
Seattle CL-s, what kind of gas do you use? If I get the s/c, will I need special gas or will 91 octane work?
Comptech will no doubt design the S/C to work with 91 octane. You'll need higher octane to run smaller pulleys I'm sure unless you have e-manage and an intercooler. Those of us not in CA have the benefit of a couple more octane at the pump. I can tell you w/o a doubt that running a few gallon of 101 in the mix adds pep to this thing!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Banned

Bro, ain't no other company gunna produce a supercharger other than Comptech -- mark my words. If such a company existed, they had since 2001 w/ the CL Type S to produce a charger... and it's now 2005, so lemme know when I can stop holding my breath. Comptech knows Honda's and Acura's intimately. Case closed. And bang for your buck is very subjective, and though I respect your opinion, i disagree. To you, you play the numbers on paper -- and that's great. To me, I enjoy my drive from the time I hit the keyfob to open my doors, to the time when I hit it again to lock the doors when I come home from work. $4500 will give me more enjoyment everytime I hit the gas pedal .. and I do that about 100 times a day .. and about 300 times on the weekend. So for me, that's definitely bang for my buck.

but again, I do respect your opinion.
Eaton and Alpine have been making S/C's before Comptech was born.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:20 AM
Banned

S/C's can only make what the motor allows it to. a S/C is really not meant to be slapped onto a motor that does not have internals designed for the S/C. low ratio pistons, longer duration cams, headers, stronger valves, larger exahust, computer re-map, larger injectors.

i would not do a S/C unless i was gonna do it right.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:07 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
For anyone doubting the charger will be coming for the 04-05 TL here is some info on it from Comptech. Look under the charger section.

http://www.comptechusa.com/images/comptech_2005.pdf
Old 03-21-2005, 06:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Interesting... I don't see a FPR included in the kit.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:32 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
The comptech is a good supercharger. Add a HBP and you'll gain another 30-40whp putting you at the 100whp you want. And comptech is also quality, more so than a lot of other brands out there. Don't forget, I believe almost all of Comptechs stuff is CARB legal as well, kinda important if you live in Cali.

Yes it is great quality and yes it will be CARB certified, BUT I do not anticipate a high boost pulley (HBP) being developed. Comptech already says the warranty is void with the HBP on the 2nd Gen charger plus on the 2nd Gen charger the intake manifold runner control on the upper intanke manifold must be disconnected to prevent knock, even with 93 octane fuel. Not to say that the HBP hasn't been proven safe time and time again, but you add in the higher compression on the new TL and I just don't see it happening.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:47 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree, you want to got high on the boost on the new TL and you better be looking at a piston swap as well.

D.

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Yes it is great quality and yes it will be CARB certified, BUT I do not anticipate a high boost pulley (HBP) being developed. Comptech already says the warranty is void with the HBP on the 2nd Gen charger plus on the 2nd Gen charger the intake manifold runner control on the upper intanke manifold must be disconnected to prevent knock, even with 93 octane fuel. Not to say that the HBP hasn't been proven safe time and time again, but you add in the higher compression on the new TL and I just don't see it happening.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Team Owner

Which can be accomplished
Old 03-22-2005, 11:09 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

Good luck to whoever tries out the Comptech supercharger setup, but I hope to God whoever does it has the 6-speed manual. I wouldn't even bother trusting Acura/Honda's trannies yet, especially after years of problems with the 5-speed automatic. That extra 60 HP should put more than enough stress on the tranny.

And as for the discussion about what the 6-speed manual can do at the track, one of the guys on this board has a WDP that I saw in person at Raceway Park, and he ran a 14.2 bone stock. What are we talking about with the Comptech S/C and 6-speed? 13.5, 13.6?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:22 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
at the track with slicks maybe...i just dont see how the TL will find the traction. expect some serious pull on the freeway however.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would agree that I do not see how the TL would find the traction. I hear all kinds of numbers and find that even if they did do a 14.2 it is difficult to repeat.

As for the supercharger I know there has been some debate on whether the engine could take it. I would think after my first hand experience with this model over 6 years, that the trannies are in question. That and all these driveline vibrations, etc. A SC might cause those to be a bit worse...

I would be interested in hearing the reports on a long term drive with the SC installed for like a year...
Old 03-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost $4000 for a 1/2 second off a quarter mile drag strip run, 50-60 extra HP at the wheels...pftttt!!!!! Personally, I'd rather spend the 4K on something else. All that money isn't going to do you any good when the engine or tranny is shot, and certainly isn't going to make the car worth more at trade-in time. Suddenly that Plasma TV is looking real good??? I always wanted a flat screen TV....a supercharger I can do without. Flame away...when you're at the drag strip...or the shop getting your tranny fixed...I'll be home watching sports on my Plasma TV.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
I would agree that I do not see how the TL would find the traction. I hear all kinds of numbers and find that even if they did do a 14.2 it is difficult to repeat.

As for the supercharger I know there has been some debate on whether the engine could take it. I would think after my first hand experience with this model over 6 years, that the trannies are in question. That and all these driveline vibrations, etc. A SC might cause those to be a bit worse...

I would be interested in hearing the reports on a long term drive with the SC installed for like a year...

Thats what I'm waiting on...some long term data.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MattT516
And as for the discussion about what the 6-speed manual can do at the track, one of the guys on this board has a WDP that I saw in person at Raceway Park, and he ran a 14.2 bone stock. What are we talking about with the Comptech S/C and 6-speed? 13.5, 13.6?
I ran 13.30 @ 108 MPH in my automatic.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:10 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by JetJock
Almost $4000 for a 1/2 second off a quarter mile drag strip run, 50-60 extra HP at the wheels...pftttt!!!!! Personally, I'd rather spend the 4K on something else. All that money isn't going to do you any good when the engine or tranny is shot, and certainly isn't going to make the car worth more at trade-in time. Suddenly that Plasma TV is looking real good??? I always wanted a flat screen TV....a supercharger I can do without. Flame away...when you're at the drag strip...or the shop getting your tranny fixed...I'll be home watching sports on my Plasma TV.
Plasma? Pfftttt! I already have two of them. Point is that some of us have more discretionary income than do others. If he has the money and wants to spend it on his toy, I say go for it. I would probably buy stocks of something and then use that revenue to pay for a SC. I've made $5K on a $10K invesment in two days before. .I can see using those proceeds to pay for a SC for this thing.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JetJock

If you aren't interested in purchasing the supercharger, don't post in the supercharger thread. You aren't going to change anyone's opinions because you don't any facts or experience to bring to the discussion. Enjoy your plasma TV. I hear many of them burn out a few months outside of the warranty period.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

chill out guys (a to every one of you ) I would like to see some of you actually purchase a comptech supercharger in May and tell us about it. I am excited to see what it does to the car, how fast it actually runs and how cool it is.

Let's not argue, but rather stay on topic.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

^ Admin in training
Old 03-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
screw the plasma get a aquous 38 incher they are better.... lol
Old 03-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
chill out guys (a to every one of you ) I would like to see some of you actually purchase a comptech supercharger in May and tell us about it. I am excited to see what it does to the car, how fast it actually runs and how cool it is.

Let's not argue, but rather stay on topic.

I've been waiting to do exactly that for quite a while ... dunno what's the deal w/ Comptech .. just patiently waiting for now.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Peter, just promise me, when you get it, 1) you let me see it and 2) you give me a ride in the car
Old 03-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Peter, just promise me, when you get it, 1) you let me see it and 2) you give me a ride in the car
Hey man, if you're in or around the Chicagoland area, I confidently promise you both of those requests.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:26 PM
HMFIC

Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Car Addict

Who will install it for you Peter?

To the naysayers, don't post if you don't want one.

Sounds like a lot of fun. If the kit in includes injectors, boost-a-pump, supercharger, and an intercooler it's a very decent price at $4000.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey man, if you're in or around the Chicagoland area, I confidently promise you both of those requests.
I'm in the West suburbs.. very close to Schaumburg area... so I'm sure we can make arrangements when the time comes
Old 03-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Car Addict

I know a few places that could install something like that. Remember I have a 754rwhp 98 Firebird Formula.

So how does the 03 kit work, since it would be derived from that. Does it require removing the intake manifold? Does it use the stock crank pulley, the serpentine setup? If you don't remove the stock intake manifold, AND it uses the stock crank pulley, that kit would be pretty easy to install.

Do they require just a fuel injector upgrade, or do they have anything for the fuel pump?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

The kit includes an upgraded (high pressure) fuel pump and a replacement fuel pressure regulator
Old 03-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cTLgo
The kit includes an upgraded (high pressure) fuel pump and a replacement fuel pressure regulator

Did you call to make sure, I didn't see it listed on their site.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

I'm going to have GarageKwai in Arlington Heights install if for me. He's installed all my stuff in the past and does a great job.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Racer

did you guys read the part that said you need to buy a new smaller battery in place of the stock one.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Did you call to make sure, I didn't see it listed on their site.

Yup

Originally Posted by gochan
did you guys read the part that said you need to buy a new smaller battery in place of the stock one.

Yes, part of the intake reaches towards the battery area, a standard battery comes in the way, thus to clear the space, a smaller battery is needed, OR you can relocated the battery to the trunk.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:34 PM
people die violently.

u guys think it will still be covered under warranty? and i have an auto and i do want to put the supercharger...
Old 03-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MattT516
Good luck to whoever tries out the Comptech supercharger setup, but I hope to God whoever does it has the 6-speed manual. I wouldn't even bother trusting Acura/Honda's trannies yet, especially after years of problems with the 5-speed automatic. That extra 60 HP should put more than enough stress on the tranny.

The six speed is just as bad as the manual if you ask me. I have seen a lot of post on here with people having poblems with their 6mt's. Clucth frying, grinding gears when shifting.

So no matter what tranny you have I think you will end up having poblems. Just my

Quick Reply: The Comptech Supercharger Will Be Here Nov. 05