Comptech Review/Andy's auto parts/autocarparts.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comptech Review/Andy's auto parts/autocarparts.com

So as everyone knows, I have had a tough time deciding what aftermarket cat back system to purchase. So I wil be reviewing this one.

I went ahead and purchased the Comptech Stainless Exhaust from http://autocarparts.com. They are a sister company of http://www.andysautosport.com. It was a pretty good price, but what sold me was the GREAT customer service unlike alot of other companies I reached out to.

I am going to be doing a full review on this system when I receive it with full pics/hd videos and gains so people know what to expect.

Below is a link, check out the price on it, I found it was the best on the net, again the customer service did it for me.

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/list/114/
Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
what made you choose the comptech instead of the new RV6 exhaust...?

A little while ago i bought the ATLP Base exhaust, had to sell it as soon as possible as i got irritaded by the drone it produced. It was just loud for me.

I want something that you would get when buying a sports car, not talking about ferraris but more like an Audi S4.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I was looking at this exhaust as first, but decided to go with ATLP. Looking forward to hearing what you think about it.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Since I work in the customer service field, customer service is number one to me and they provided it at autocarparts.com.

The comptech system impressed me with the light exhaust note and look. Also the fact that the make a supercharger for our cars and many others made me think if they can do that so well im sure they can build the best possible exhaust with power and torque as possible.

Before this site I have never heard of atlp, excelerate and
rv6.

Like I said I will let you all know but this site is awesome, check it out they have a ton of parts and more.

Http://www.autocarparts.com
Old 08-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rv6 Exhaust blows anyones exhaust that i have seen. I'm patiently waiting for mine i put a deposit on my ...Everyone has there own opinion so i respect that...
Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by onefastmachine
Rv6 Exhaust blows anyones exhaust that i have seen. I'm patiently waiting for mine i put a deposit on my ...Everyone has there own opinion so i respect that...
how does it blow away any other exhaust? It gives the same gains and looks as ATLP and XLR8. My comp-tech is perfect, especially for those running cat less. I have seen a comptech on a 3.6 build and it purrrrrs like a G35/350Z. ZERO drone with this exhaust.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Love my comptech good choice. I can run a loud ass exhaust if I wanted too but the comptech has the perfect tone especially if you like coming home late and not making your neighbors want to kill you. People look for different things not just power in systems...just because one exhaust supposedly makes more power than the other I still do not see that as justification to buy the system unless you are a performance only guy which there are quite a few people on here like that.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

The comptech provides a mature exhaust note for a mature car like the TL. Yes you can go and purchase the ATLP which in my opinion is too loud, or the XCELERATE which is also loud, but really, who has more brand recognition, comptech, they make a superchargers etc, or ATLP/XCELERATE which pretty much sell home made exhausts.

I am not bashing anyone, I am simply saying, I looked hard at all of them and comptech has to be the one that is mature and refind, just like our TL's.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would not say they are homemade exhausts but they did put r/d into those units.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by davewhodavedunn
The comptech provides a mature exhaust note for a mature car like the TL. Yes you can go and purchase the ATLP which in my opinion is too loud, or the XCELERATE which is also loud, but really, who has more brand recognition, comptech, they make a superchargers etc, or ATLP/XCELERATE which pretty much sell home made exhausts.

I am not bashing anyone, I am simply saying, I looked hard at all of them and comptech has to be the one that is mature and refind, just like our TL's.
You should really do your research before making silly statements such as this. ATLP and Excelerate exhaust systems are designed by Stromung Engineering and Billy Boat Exhaust, respectively, both of which design exhausts for the world's elite, including Porsche, BMW, Audi, Corvette etc. Nothing against Comptech; they make fine products, but I'd say that in most circles (outside Acura/Honda) Stromung and BB are much more well known.

Last edited by anx1300c; 08-22-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Comptech Exhaust Question

I just got my comptech cat back exhaust. It is awesome, I really notice the gains. The problem is it is too quiet.

Will this change after it is "broken in"? Is there a break in period?

This system comes with a mid muffler, so I am wondering if the same rule applies where if you delete the mid muffler, this will make it louder, but how loud is the question?

Help me out here guys!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
lol you think its quiet...
i went from an xlr8 cuz it was too droney to a comptech
now i feel like my exhaust sounds stock and it will not get any louder even if its broken in

only way to make it louder is to get pre cat deletes or delete the mid muffler but why wud u hack up an exhaust
Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Ok so since you have the comptech system, I guess you would know this.

Is there a break in period for it to get louder?

How loud would it get if I removed the comptech resonator/midmuffler?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Why do you have a thread for the same thing in two sub-forums?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/just-got-comptech-exhaust-too-quiet-how-fix-789454/#post12294637

:wagsfinger:
Old 08-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't know but I need some help here.

Not to mention the comptech exhaust didn't have a gasket from the for the cat converter....
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry I was really drunk last night after installing my cat system and came on here mumblin junk, lol.

I just really want to know if their is a break in period for after market exhaust. This one is WAY more quiet than the videos I have seen on it on youtube and I am wondering if it will get louder. I hope it does.

Also it did not come with a gasket for the cat converter
Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

As far as I know, any "break in period" for an exhaust will only quiet it down.

Take out the mid muffler, but then what if it's too loud? Another thread.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Timb227
As far as I know, any "break in period" for an exhaust will only quiet it down.

Take out the mid muffler, but then what if it's too loud? Another thread.
Exhausts get slightly louder with some miles, not quieter. People think they're getting quieter, but in reality they're just growing accustomed to the higher decibals.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

very interesting. It is so weird that the videos of the comptech exhaust on 04-08 Acura TL's sound so much better and louder, and mine sounds stock...

I wonder how loud it would be to remove the mid muffler on the comptech exhaust?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
No such thing as break-in on exhausts. Instead of removing more stuff that will give no gains in power, do something that increases performance like PCDs. This will make it louder and increase power.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Why would you get an exhaust that is well known for being one of the most quiet, then be shocked when its quiet and ask how you can get it louder?

Lets get this straight..You bought the comptech, knowing it was probably the most quiet after market exhaust available (xcept maybe tanabe), now your asking how to get it louder?

Comptech was not the way to go if your looking for "loud" shoulda bought a GReddy.

Im SURE you did research, right Dave? I even told you via PM that paired with my Injen CAI, 3rd cat delete, and rv6 jpipe, its pretty quiet until WOT(Wide Open Throttle, Dave). It does have a low grumble tho, especially@start-up.

Im pretty sure I read that it DOES get a little louder after a break in period, but seeing as I bought mine used, I cant verify that for sure.

As far as the gasket use this... http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_maker.htm

You could find all your answers if you do that thing you dont like to do.....SEARCH...or better yet, just RESEARCH.

Gawd, I feel like a broken record.

I would delete my third cat, before I go hacking up the comptech.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:57 AM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
this guy posted up on my youtube video for my comptech exhaust and this is what he replied to my post about me trading my comptech for the greddy:

"why would you sell it for the GREDDY? the Greddy is retartedly loud"

guess he can eat his own words now...

Last edited by chinkwapin; 08-29-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

guys...lets calm down here. The Greddy is too loud same with ATLP...but what I am saying, in case you didn't understand, is that it sounds quieter than them videos I watched of the comptech on other TLS. I don't want LOUD...or I would say I want it loud, not louder. Yes I did research, and I bought the ATLP J pipe too. The gains are great and you can really feel it, but I just wish it was a tad louder...

You know, my buddy is on gencoupe.com, and all the people there mention how negative rude and immature people are on this site. If you don't have an answer to the question in the thread, why would you click the thread and write dumb shit? Like really, SOME people on here really need to just be helpful, not talk shit...and just help. Not everyone has hours and hour to search through every thread and research. Not everyone has had there TL for 5 years, not everyone is a know it all. So lets all just chill!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
i responded the way i did because of your quote on youtube. i was just trying to help you out with the comptech, but obviously i couldnt shoot more videos cuz i dont own it anymore. if you're going to say that my greddy is RETARTEDLY loud then im going to take it offensively too. retartedly is either referring to me, or to the parts on my car.. just use some nicer words when talking about other peoples cars and they'll be more willing to help you out.

that being said, the only thing u can do since u have the j-pipe already is to get rid of the precats or the 3rd cat or all of them together. this might make it really raspy and smelly but thats your only option to get the sound u want. ahve you heard your exhaust from the outside yet? cuz when i had the comptech it is very quiet on the interior noise, but i had my friend drive it and was surprised by how it sounded on the outside, deep, and aggressive.. if you havent already, let someone else drive it because interior noise is going to be quieter
Old 08-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

guys...lets calm down here. The Greddy is too loud same with ATLP...but what I am saying, in case you didn't understand, is that it sounds quieter than them videos I watched of the comptech on other TLS. I don't want LOUD...or I would say I want it loud, not louder. Yes I did research, and I bought the ATLP J pipe too. The gains are great and you can really feel it, but I just wish it was a tad louder...

You know, my buddy is on gencoupe.com, and all the people there mention how negative rude and immature people are on this site. If you don't have an answer to the question in the thread, why would you click the thread and write dumb shit? Like really, SOME people on here really need to just be helpful, not talk shit...and just help. Not everyone has hours and hour to search through every thread and research. Not everyone has had there TL for 5 years, not everyone is a know it all. So lets all just chill!
LOL Dave. People just get tired of answering the same questions over and over.

Here's a question. Is it too quiet inside the car or is it too quiet inside and at the tailpipe?

Depending on which one you can choose what to do next.

Either way, give it a couple weeks with it the way it is before you change anything. Your perception may change over time.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't understand. This is a forum. People will ask the same questions over and over, that is how it goes. Just because you have or searched for the answer doesn't mean other people have or even have the time to do so. Like I said.

As for the exhaust. I love it. I can really feel the difference, especially with the J Pipe...it's great. I just am saying it could be a little louder. I will post a vid later...
Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

I don't understand. This is a forum. People will ask the same questions over and over, that is how it goes. Just because you have or searched for the answer doesn't mean other people have or even have the time to do so. Like I said.

As for the exhaust. I love it. I can really feel the difference, especially with the J Pipe...it's great. I just am saying it could be a little louder. I will post a vid later...
It creates a problem for people that use the search feature. I know I ignore many posts in these forums even in the "problems and fixes" section where I could help someone out. Many other members ignore the too common questions too. What you end up with is a bunch of half assed answers by people that aren't that knowlegable diluting down the good answers that have been posted in the past. Exhaust and CAI has been beaten to death.

You expect people to have the time to answer your question that has been anwered 100 times before but you don't want to waste your valuable time searching.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:18 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
DO NOT cut out the pre-muffler that would be the stupidest thing you can do =/ if you want it louder, then do what everyone says and get the PCD's.

dont know about the rest of you guys, but every exhaust system i have own on all my cars over the years, have gotten louder over time.. my comptechs definetly have over the 4 years ive own them

just FYI, i was running the PCD's, ATLP V2 jpipe, HFC 3rd, with the comptech catback w/premuffler and it was WAYYY to loud for my likings. sounded like a fog horn while cruising on the freeway, so i had to add a 20 magnaflow resonator to quiet it down..

just to give you an idea of how loud it will be, heres a sound clip,

PCD's, ATLP V2, 3rd HFC, 20' resonator, comptech CB w/ premuffler

heres an old clip 3 years ago,

e-shit procats, custom jpipe which deleted 3rd cat, and comptech CB w/ no resonator.

as you can see, what you put in FRONT of the comptechs (cats and different jpipe design) will play a huge roll in regards to the loudness and tone of your exhaust
Old 08-29-2010, 04:33 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Guttin the mid muffler would fuck with the flow of the exhaust also...Just the same as guttin the third cat. NOT recommended as people have already mentioned.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.autocarparts.com.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Old 08-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

REVIEW:

As stated I purchased this from http://www.autocarparts.com. They really helped me find the best exhaust based on what I told them I wanted. They have the BEST customer service, and prices. Check em out.

The Comptech system is great. You can really feel the great flow from the 2.25inch piping, and mufflers. The install was a breeze. The oem system came right off. The Comptech system went right on with no problems. The tone is light, mature and subtle, but this is what the TL should be.

I have had the system on for 3 days now, tone seems to get a bit louder, but not much. All and all I thank the guys at http://www.autocarparts.com for the help, and everyone else. Thanks guys!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

So are you satisfied with the final outcome and sound?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I am satisfied with the outcome of the performance gains, look and sound. Like I stated, I wish it was a tad bit louder, but it sutis the car. This isn't a honda civic or some rice rocket, and I did not want it to be loud, but loud-ER would be nice.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Comptech mid muffler delete?

I have tried to find more info regarding this but can not seem to get an answer.

I have the comptech cat back system. It is great but it needs to be louder. Ct Engineering suggested removing the resonator off the exhaust. I did this this with oem exhaust but never heard anyone doing this with a aftermarket exhaust.

I am wondering how much louder it would get, if their would be drone...etc...
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I have tried to find more info regarding this but can not seem to get an answer.

I have the comptech cat back system. It is great but it needs to be louder. Ct Engineering suggested removing the resonator off the exhaust. I did this this with oem exhaust but never heard anyone doing this with a aftermarket exhaust.

I am wondering how much louder it would get, if their would be drone...etc...
you did that on a stock exhaust, and thats different...comptech is bigger, and has different mufflers....removing the resonator on both would yield different results, even if its the same exact resonator...

on that note..didnt u already have a whole bunch of threads on this issue?
and asked the same exact questions on those threads?
i think you should stick with the same thread, and ask questions there when you start one, especially when its all related to the same thing... you'd get better results... if its about your catback, there's no reason to have a separate thread for pipes, separate thread for resonators, separate thread for mufflers, separate thread for tips
Old 09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I did have another thread but it got way off topic and didn't yield any results.

The comptech system has ONE resonator (mid muffler). They said by removing it and putting a straight pipe in it's place would create a louder exhaust note. That is why I am wondering. I am looking for someone who has a similar experience, or someone who knows what this would create as to tone, drone etc...
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel

on that note..didnt u already have a whole bunch of threads on this issue?
and asked the same exact questions on those threads?
i think you should stick with the same thread, and ask questions there when you start one, especially when its all related to the same thing... you'd get better results... if its about your catback, there's no reason to have a separate thread for pipes, separate thread for resonators, separate thread for mufflers, separate thread for tips
werd. threads merged.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

yes that is weird...so anyone have any suggestions as to removing the mid muffler (resonator) on the Comptech exhaust. They emailed me said it would make it a tad bit louder...but I dont know...never heard of this being done with an aftermarket system

Quick Reply: Comptech Review/Andy's auto parts/autocarparts.com