Complete Tool List for AEM CAI Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Complete Tool List for AEM CAI Install

I was wondering if anyone had a complete list of tools they needed/need for the AEM CAI install. I have decided to try this tomorrow and wondering what I need to pick up.

Screwdrivers
Drill (for rivets... what size bit to use? clarification on technique for this would be great... the instructions say "remove" the rivets using a drill. Great... now in english for a complete newb please....)
Socket wrench (what sizes)

Anything else needed? The included instructions are fine, but make no mention of tools or tool sizes.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tzakiel
I was wondering if anyone had a complete list of tools they needed/need for the AEM CAI install. I have decided to try this tomorrow and wondering what I need to pick up.

Screwdrivers
Drill (for rivets... what size bit to use? clarification on technique for this would be great... the instructions say "remove" the rivets using a drill. Great... now in english for a complete newb please....)
Socket wrench (what sizes)

Anything else needed? The included instructions are fine, but make no mention of tools or tool sizes.

If my intake comes in this week I will have the install done for the meet. However, it will probably come in next week. I have done 85% of the work already when I modded my airbox. It is kinda a pain in the ass to get to some of the bolts. The rivets really weren't that bad. I believe I used an 1/8" bit. I am hoping this install will only take 1/2hr to an Hour to complete from here on out. If you kinda need some guidance I will try to hel you the best I can. Just PM me. Good luck! It's gonna take you some time to do.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i figure if i am having a lot of trouble i will just swear a lot and that should help. so just screwdrivers and a socket wrench is all, besides a drill?
Old 09-29-2005, 05:50 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by tzakiel
well i figure if i am having a lot of trouble i will just swear a lot and that should help. so just screwdrivers and a socket wrench is all, besides a drill?

Yeah a good socket set with extensions and a swivel may come in handy. I believe the bolts are all 10mm or maybe 12mm. A few assorted sizes of screwdrivers for popping the fender liner out will help.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Get two small flathead screwwdrivers for the hard to get out bumper plugs.....
Old 09-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I'm a little confused over the "remove rivet" part...am I supposed to be using a particular shaped bit (square, hex, etc.) to actually take out the rivet or am I supposed to be drilling them out like you would a screw with a stripped head? I wouldn't imagine it being the latter as most people don't have a screw/bolt drill out kit laying around (of course, I am one of those tool geeks). I've got pretty much every other tool needed for the install, but was curious about this.

And yes, if I was half way through the install, I could probably look at the rivet and know the answer, but if I have to go get something, having the airbox half removed doesn't make that too easy
Old 09-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I'm a little confused over the "remove rivet" part...am I supposed to be using a particular shaped bit (square, hex, etc.) to actually take out the rivet or am I supposed to be drilling them out like you would a screw with a stripped head? I wouldn't imagine it being the latter as most people don't have a screw/bolt drill out kit laying around (of course, I am one of those tool geeks). I've got pretty much every other tool needed for the install, but was curious about this.

And yes, if I was half way through the install, I could probably look at the rivet and know the answer, but if I have to go get something, having the airbox half removed doesn't make that too easy

They are actual rivets so you have to drill them out/apart. You know what a rivet is correct? If so well the only way to remove a rivet is to drill it out and replace it (if you need to say reinstall something that was riveted to begin with).
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
They are actual rivets so you have to drill them out/apart. You know what a rivet is correct? If so well the only way to remove a rivet is to drill it out and replace it (if you need to say reinstall something that was riveted to begin with).
Interesting...probably have a better idea about everything when I get around to putting in my CAI (have to paint it first).

I forget at the moment what it was that they hold in, but was it something that you would have to reinstall them on for it to work, or could it get by without them (just to sell the car, not use it)? Wonder why they would use rivets instead of bolts?