Closed-loop fuel enrichment

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by bmeyer
Once I'm ready for testers, I'll be looking for a vehicle with a few things...
- Forced induction
- AEM F/IC
- NO check engine lights
- People with OBD-II scanners will be given first priority. (They can tell me what their short/long-term fuel trims are)

Also, the individual should be armed with a nice multimeter and soldering iron to ensure that they have proper connections.
Ooooh, me, me, me (raising hand)!!!!

Except for the occasional CEL for a slow reacting lower O2 sensor CEL every once and a while, I have all the credentials!

Just need to get a netbook so I can use Logworks Windows instead of mobile.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
The car goes into open-loop under WOT and very near WOT. I believe it needs to be under a load as well, but I'm not sure on the exact numbers there.

Does your car actually throw a CEL when it misfires?

I know exactly what you're talking about with that hesitation. Typically what I saw is that my short-term fuel trim would drop to like -5% for a split second under extremely light loads in town or from a stop. That would cause the jerking. I have been able to smooth most of that out with this module, but in order to smooth all of it out, I would need a competent tuner to help fine tune the fuel and O2 maps to make sure they're not conflicting with each other.

One thing for everyone to keep in mind is that this isn't a magic box by any means. If a car has issues other than running too lean under closed-loop, don't expect this to solve every one of those problems. My opinion of the F/IC remains the same. It's still a half-assed solution - though unfortunately the best solution we have at the moment.

Once I'm ready for testers, I'll be looking for a vehicle with a few things...
- Forced induction
- AEM F/IC
- NO check engine lights
- People with OBD-II scanners will be given first priority. (They can tell me what their short/long-term fuel trims are)

Also, the individual should be armed with a nice multimeter and soldering iron to ensure that they have proper connections.
When the car misfires, the cel blinks several times but does not stay lit. When I hook up the obd scanner there are 7 codes stored. A misfire on each cylinder and random misfires.

Ill take look at my scanner and Ill watch the fuel trims when this jerking happens to see if I have the same symptoms as you

I recommend this scanner for people who are in need of one. It has live data as well and is very well priced.

Autel.us AutoLink
http://www.autel.us/al309.php

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160461071609
Old 08-26-2010, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I am very impressed with all the R&D that you are putting into this big problem that I've been having.

I will be more than happy to be part of this test for you.

My set up is:
Comptech Supercharger kit @ 6-7psi 328whp
Comptech Exhaust
Comptech Intake
NO CODES, but the car runs likes poop around 20%-30% throttle and around 2,000-3,500rpm. I am dying to get this resolve ASAP.

If you can call me @ 321-235-9959, so we can talk about this project.

Thanks for your time & help,

Fernando @ Kings Performance
Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
When the car misfires, the cel blinks several times but does not stay lit. When I hook up the obd scanner there are 7 codes stored. A misfire on each cylinder and random misfires. Ill take look at my scanner and Ill watch the fuel trims when this jerking happens to see if I have the same symptoms as you

I recommend this scanner for people who are in need of one. It has live data as well and is very well priced.

Autel.us AutoLink
http://www.autel.us/al309.php

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160461071609
I recently was swaping out Fic's to test a new tune (same one as KN_tl) and my car was doing that exact same thing. AFR was going crazy and the CEL was blinking scaned the codes and got 4 new ones. I was able to play with the connectors and get the car to run without a CEL but the stumbling was there and boost was building but no increase in power. Put my Fic back in and after reseting the codes the car is running amazing. I still get too rich bank 1 and 2 but thats another issue. My afr stays in the 13.8-14.6 at idle, 12.3 under boost for as long as I can watch it.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hi speed
I recently was swaping out Fic's to test a new tune (same one as KN_tl) and my car was doing that exact same thing. AFR was going crazy and the CEL was blinking scaned the codes and got 4 new ones. I was able to play with the connectors and get the car to run without a CEL but the stumbling was there and boost was building but no increase in power. Put my Fic back in and after reseting the codes the car is running amazing. I still get too rich bank 1 and 2 but thats another issue. My afr stays in the 13.8-14.6 at idle, 12.3 under boost for as long as I can watch it.
what is the fuel map your running look like? O2 map?
screenshot of your fic settings?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 PM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by bdbconcepts
what is the fuel map your running look like? O2 map?
screenshot of your fic settings?

I wish I knew, I have not been able to get the Fic software to work. The low end TQ is great no studder anywhere in the power band.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Update 8/27/10

Sorry for the lack of updates this week, guys. There have been no new developments this week with the module. It's sill behaving as well as it did the first day. I've been busy working with Richie tying to come up with a game plan to get these suckers mass produced.

Since all of my testing still seems to be going OK, I think I'll start getting a beta group together and get some test units out to them in the next couple of weeks.

I'd say we're about a month away from being able to start taking orders for these. (Provided all of the extra testing goes OK.)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 PM
18psi

So your getting the "too rich bank 1&2" codes also? How often do you get them? I honestly get them everyday and reset them everyday. Extremely annoying.

KN_TL, do you get these codes also?

I always throw these codes when slowly accelerating or just cruising. They never come on during wot. When do they come on for you?

Id love to know exactly what is causing these codes to come on. Whats range of a/f is considered acceptable for the ecu to not throw these codes
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Pro

@libert69

Any chance you would be able to email me your fuel maps? I'm curious why the turbo guys are getting this, but not the S/C guys. Also, it'd help me figure out if this module can help alleviate the issue.

PM me when you get a chance.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
im down to test the 2nd gens
Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 PM
18psi

@libert69

Any chance you would be able to email me your fuel maps? I'm curious why the turbo guys are getting this, but not the S/C guys. Also, it'd help me figure out if this module can help alleviate the issue.

PM me when you get a chance.
I sent you 2 PMs but you can disregard both lol. I pulled all my maps from the FIC and I can send them to you. PM me your email
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM
runnin a little boost

So your getting the "too rich bank 1&2" codes also? How often do you get them? I honestly get them everyday and reset them everyday. Extremely annoying.

KN_TL, do you get these codes also?

I always throw these codes when slowly accelerating or just cruising. They never come on during wot. When do they come on for you?

Id love to know exactly what is causing these codes to come on. Whats range of a/f is considered acceptable for the ecu to not throw these codes

I get them every couple days but only reset them every once in a while. I'm not sure when it happens but no noticeable issues to go along with it. Maybe when the car is warm and I have to crank the ignition a little longer the extra gas triggers the CEL.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
hey bmeyer, please PM since I cannot PM you. I would love to test this out for you.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

bmeyer I got the link to this thread from the aem forums and I have and 04 civic ex with a LAF 02 sensor, and if you want to test on a different car let me know. My car is setup up with a garrett t3 running 5psi for now, 310cc injuectors, and a FIC for control(No CEL). Let me know
Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Instructor

let me know if you need someone to test this out. i got a s/c with HBP, bolt ons, meth injected and tuned with FIC.

i'm having that similar problem like the others mentioned above. when i take my car to redline then the CEL would flash but not stay on (random misfire). i'm gonna try and meet up with my tuner to get it resolved.

also i used to also throw codes for running too rich on bank 1 and 2. i went to Driving Ambition out in Sacramento and he suggested clamping the map and retune. that code hasnt popped up since.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Safety Car

I've only thrown 2 CEL's for a slow responding 02 circuit. However, my ride is not my daily driver so it's probably unfair to compare me to you two.

I went for a ride with my wife and pretty much stayed out of the boost and threw no codes. But when I did go into boost I get a weird stumbling again. Need to get to the tuner as I am still running rich.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yo...

I wish I knew, I have not been able to get the Fic software to work. The low end TQ is great no studder anywhere in the power band.
email me at bdbconcepts@gmail.com
I have fic cal files for both n/a and F/i setups...the main thing I noticed with the fic is by using the voltage to afr table you are able to run a 13.7 to 13.9 afr at idle and partial wot (0 to 60%)....then you can either run a fuel map for a full spectrum of adding or removing fuel based on rpm or map setting....for WOT tuning...I use the second fuel map option on the fic..it's basically a tps based fuel map...the fic is a great piece to use provided you have it setup correctly...I have been very fortunate in that
NVA-AV6and fl felon
and bmeyer (via aem forums) have helped with my entire FIC learning process...otherwise I would have already beat the piss out of the fic......i have even helped a acura boosted car near me get fully fic tuned by me...it now runs a 13.5 under WOT boost and a 13.7 to 13.9 at idle and a perfect 13.7 at partial wot and with the cruise control on...car sounds awesome and pulls very hard...I am running a 3.06 fic version and a z110.hex flash on the fic...hopefully this helps...
Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
it now runs a 13.5 under WOT boost and a 13.7 to 13.9 at idle and a perfect 13.7 at partial wot and with the cruise control on...car sounds awesome and pulls very hard...I am running a 3.06 fic version and a z110.hex flash on the fic...hopefully this helps...
Are you TRYING to blow it up?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Pro

^^^ Hahaha. I wasn't going to say anything.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I got the Shifts

sounds like an awesome tune for an N/a car
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
copy and past

Pics:

Idle Stoich:

Idle Mid:

Idle Rich:

No CEL:
can you copy and paste me the tune ?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by rush
can you copy and paste me the tune ?
No. First of all, it won't do you any good because you don't have the O2 hardware to support it. Second, any tune is highly specific to the car itself. Third, all that 'tune' in the pictures is voltages in the O2 table to verify that my module worked the way I wanted it to. Fourth, it says that your car is a 2G TL. That's a completely different beast.

Last edited by bmeyer; 09-07-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
i have even helped a acura boosted car near me get fully fic tuned by me...it now runs a 13.5 under WOT boost and a 13.7 to 13.9 at idle and a perfect 13.7 at partial wot and with the cruise control on...car sounds awesome and pulls very hard...I am running a 3.06 fic version and a z110.hex flash on the fic...hopefully this helps...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Pro

Update 9/11/10

Finally got the parts in for the beta units. I'll be assembling 6 units over the next week and get them off to my beta testers. I'll contact you guys after the controllers are built and let you know what the next steps are.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

Can't wait to see how this works on a few different cars. Stock-like drivability with double the hp should now be a reality.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the light...the light...i see the light!!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
runnin a little boost

My car is doing very well in the transition into boost. I can't tell if it's just the hi compression making the car fast but wow. I'm still working on the hi rpm boost but big Tq down low is serving me very well. I was coming home and last night when a CTSV with a nice rumble came up, I thought my exhaust cut out was open,when he punched the gas, I hit the gas and put 5 cars lengths on him before he could blink. I was next to him at the next light where I did open my cut out and he wanted nothing to do with me. 20-80 came real quick. I'm sure he is telling his tuner there is something wrong with his car because he was eaten by a TL.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Hi Speed Turbo,

Way to go dude

Thanks for sharing
Old 09-12-2010, 04:31 PM
18psi

Update 9/11/10

Finally got the parts in for the beta units. I'll be assembling 6 units over the next week and get them off to my beta testers. I'll contact you guys after the controllers are built and let you know what the next steps are.
is this unit as simple as plug and play? does the unit work by using the o2 map in the fic? i dont remember if you mentioned it. If so, are you including the pre-made map to get people running? I could use a point and a half easily
Old 09-12-2010, 04:35 PM
18psi

My car is doing very well in the transition into boost. I can't tell if it's just the hi compression making the car fast but wow. I'm still working on the hi rpm boost but big Tq down low is serving me very well. I was coming home and last night when a CTSV with a nice rumble came up, I thought my exhaust cut out was open,when he punched the gas, I hit the gas and put 5 cars lengths on him before he could blink. I was next to him at the next light where I did open my cut out and he wanted nothing to do with me. 20-80 came real quick. I'm sure he is telling his tuner there is something wrong with his car because he was eaten by a TL.
5 car lengths off the line? isnt the ctsv 550hp or so plus rwd? do you have drag radials on the street lol? werent you spinning like crazy?

are you still running only 9psi? any hp numbers yet?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Pro

is this unit as simple as plug and play? does the unit work by using the o2 map in the fic? i dont remember if you mentioned it. If so, are you including the pre-made map to get people running? I could use a point and a half easily
There will be 5 solder connections for the O2 module that need to be made on your ECU extension harness. I'll include a wiring diagram as well as a pre-wired plug that will let you connect or disconnect the unit at any time.

I can't really provide a full map per-say, but I can guide you through setting up the O2 table in the F/IC.

I'll also be providing Rodney with a beta unit. Hopefully he'll be able to give you turbo guys a better idea of where you should be. Maybe he can even provide a full map that you can upload to your F/IC.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

There will be 5 solder connections for the O2 module that need to be made on your ECU extension harness. I'll include a wiring diagram as well as a pre-wired plug that will let you connect or disconnect the unit at any time.

I can't really provide a full map per-say, but I can guide you through setting up the O2 table in the F/IC.

I'll also be providing Rodney with a beta unit. Hopefully he'll be able to give you turbo guys a better idea of where you should be. Maybe he can even provide a full map that you can upload to your F/IC.
Having Rodney shake it down is probably the best option at least for me.

Wiring isn't a problem.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

5 car lengths off the line? isnt the ctsv 550hp or so plus rwd? do you have drag radials on the street lol? werent you spinning like crazy?

are you still running only 9psi? any hp numbers yet?
Sorry for going off topic here but how much boost are you running? Finally got the hose situation figured out. Boost comes on nicely and doesn't go up wildly any longer. With all parms at their lowest I am getting 4-5psi.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 AM
18psi

The highest Ive seen on the gauge is 8.6psi. Next tune we are going to 10 or 11
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
11 psi..
Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

The highest Ive seen on the gauge is 8.6psi. Next tune we are going to 10 or 11
Make sure the meth is running... It *should* hold together especially with the auto but some of the safety margin is being removed so make sure the tune is spot on with a lot of meth.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
damn ur running alot of boost on stock block 3.2. i know paul informed me that my/our j-series block(since i have 3rd gen tl block, except i have all forged internals) is limited to 12-13 psi max(without sleeving), anything higher and ur pushing it, and will start experiencing "cylinder walk"(plus the toothpick rods that are in the stock tl engine don't help either). since u wanna run 10-11psi, i say listen to ihc and make sure, i mean 100% sure ur meth with afr is running alright, cause raising the boost plus already lean afr spells death unless u got that meth spot on.

just be careful man, good luck and i wanna see dyno #'s

Last edited by tenzingsherpa; 09-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I got the Shifts

so, just to clarify, the 2g's will be left in the dust again?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tenzingsherpa
damn ur running alot of boost on stock block 3.2. i know paul informed me that my/our j-series block(since i have 3rd gen tl block, except i have all forged internals) is limited to 12-13 psi max(without sleeving), anything higher and ur pushing it, and will start experiencing "cylinder walk"(plus the toothpick rods that are in the stock tl engine don't help either). since u wanna run 10-11psi, i say listen to ihc and make sure, i mean 100% sure ur meth with afr is running alright, cause raising the boost plus already lean afr spells death unless u got that meth spot on.

just be careful man, good luck and i wanna see dyno #'s
That's interesting. I wonder what hp level the J32 experiences cylinder walk? The reason I ask about hp is boost is just boost, the power is what makes them walk. It's too bad they don't have a more traditional style deck. I wonder if they make one of those deck filler things for the J series.

I wonder at what point you start limiting rpms with the stock rods and boost. I understand rpm stresses the rods in a completely different way than boost (torque) does but at some point it may be best to start shifting a little sooner, say 6,500rpm. One motion stretches them, the other compresses them. Then again, boost reduces rod stretch at high rpms so I'm probably talking out of my ass.

Quick Reply: Closed-loop fuel enrichment