CC Insert for reducing exhaust drone....wow it works!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayfree347
hey darkshark i see u installed the insert on your exhaust. ihave a 06 tl with a greddy exhaust the drone is killing me on teh highway . what size did you get? theres are 2"-4" not sure which one i m suppose to get, and is there a huge improvment? or power loss? i appreciate your feedback.
I actually installed this on a 08 Honda Accord EXL V6 Coupe With a Magnaflow Catback system. The insert size that you want would be the same as the O.D. of your exhaust system inlet pipe. For me I got the 2.25 in size. I definitely experienced increased HP, torque, and smoother acceleration with the Magnaflow system. The insert causes some back pressure, so there is a slight delay in accleration when floored.The low end torque is still stong but it seems to taper off a little at the high end. I bought the exhaust more for the sound, so loosing a few ponys doesn't bother me. Don't worry, it DOES NOT make your car sluggish, it is still better than stock in performance and sound. We took it on the expressway last night, and between 60-75 mph, my wife and I both agreed that the drone is about 90% gone. From a stand still launch you will still hear it a little, but it doesn't ring in your ears the way that it used to. It is quieter at idle in the cabin, but you still hear the rumble from the exahust pipes. When I rev it, it actually sounds deeper and when driving around I can actually hear the exhaust growl better inside the cabin because the drone is so much quieter. If the drone is bothering you, I'd say give it a try. Sure you're gonna loose a little power, but I've learned that with aftermarket exhaust you can't have your cake and eat it too. For me, it was worth it to not to end up with a headache every time I drive my car.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont quite understand. Why not sound deaden the floor with Dynamat?? Seems as if the drone would quiet up considerably.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 88hybrid
I dont quite understand. Why not sound deaden the floor with Dynamat?? Seems as if the drone would quiet up considerably.
can you explain this in further detail?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jerome736
can you explain this in further detail?
When I got my car I removed the seats, and the carpet and install DYNAmat to the whole entire floor in the trunk, under rear seat cushion, and the whole floor up to the firewall. I did this to lower the sound that generates throughout the chassis of the car into the cabin. The car is VERY quiet inside, and even bumps and such in the road seem to not even make a noise. I dont have any mods done to the exhaust, but Im sure this would keep the drone down.

This material is used to dampen vibrations throughout the metal of a car in Sound system applications. Drone is nothing more than a bad vibration, generating through the metal structure of the car. Im sure this would eliminate the drone sound.

Dynamat is easy to use. Cut it to shape of the floor, pull the backing off, and stick it to the floor.

Last edited by 88hybrid; 11-18-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-19-2009, 06:13 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first thing I did was Dynomat the trunk. Because it seemed the vibration came from above the mufflers in the rear. I even built a wall, made of wood behind the seats, and Dynomatted that.
It didn't even reduce the drone by a decibel. No difference. My local stereo shop said, I would have do the entire cabin to make any difference. And, even that may not be a considerable difference. That would be a lot of work, a good amount of $$, and a lot of added weight.
You see...drone is not vibrating of the floor boards or frame. It is vibrating within the exhaust and creating harmonics. Sealing up the cabin will not eliminate, but only reduce a tiny bit.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 PM
SpeedDemon

Replayman did u install jpipe and 3rd cat after exaust? If so dod that reduce drone? I have atlp base and its not that bad, but i feel that my car is not luxury csr anymore cauz of nasty drone from 2k-3k otherwise it sounds sweet. I jeard jpipe redices drone a bit, u think its true?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear

Interesting, may try something like that on my G35
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by ReplayMan
The first thing I did was Dynomat the trunk. Because it seemed the vibration came from above the mufflers in the rear. I even built a wall, made of wood behind the seats, and Dynomatted that.
It didn't even reduce the drone by a decibel. No difference. My local stereo shop said, I would have do the entire cabin to make any difference. And, even that may not be a considerable difference. That would be a lot of work, a good amount of $$, and a lot of added weight.
You see...drone is not vibrating of the floor boards or frame. It is vibrating within the exhaust and creating harmonics. Sealing up the cabin will not eliminate, but only reduce a tiny bit.
I completely agree. This has been my experience too. I've cured drone by either using a 3rd straight through muffler in place of the 3rd cat or by using two mufflers, with two different sizes to cancel each other out.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

I hate cars is exactly right...believe it or not...but 2 different size mufflers would definitely work. It goes back to when I explained earlier, drone is just a harmonic tone between each pipe. And, if one side is changed...it cancels the other out. I came across a few guys online who had success by adding a weight or tightening pipe clamps to one end...to change the frequency.
Andruha88....I had the ATLP J-Pipe & high-flow cat installed before I did the XLR8. But, I dont think they have effect anyway.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:40 PM
10th Gear

This is illogical at best. You should get rid of one thing, your wife. Nah j/k. I just don't get why people buy an exhaust and complain about the drone. If you are seriously putting that in your exhaust, why buy one? Anyhow, get a cold air intake for sound. I went CAI, J-pipe, then the Excelerate resonated exhaust, yes I have drone, but I expected it. Also if you are non-resonated, well wow.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced

I just order an insert for my exhaust system today. Ordered the 3-disk insert with steel packing. Since the drone is killing me, I paid to have it overnighted and pray that I'll receive it by Saturday and will have it installed them. Will provide you guys with an update as soon as the system arrives and is installed. Thanks ReplayMan for finding this product. Crossing my fingers that I dont have to chop off my performance muffler.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Advanced

***UPDATE***

Early Thursday morning, I called the manufacture of this product and orders a 3 disk insert and paid for the overnight shipping. This afternoon, the item arrived.

Just to provide a high level overview of the issue I was running into:

between 2K-3.5K RPM, I was getting an unbearable about of drone. All the other RPMs also produced drone, but it was "some-what" tolerable.

So after inspecting the inserts, I headed down to my local muffler shop for installation. The install itself was challenging for the muffler shop because the insert would not fit inside the exhaust pipe without slightly grinding down the disks. Once the insert was completely installed, I fired up the CL.

My first impression....WOW, what a huge difference in sound. I had my friend blimp the throttle and for once, I could now hear the CAI instead of the drone. I took the CL out for a test drive and was extremely pleased with the outcome. The issue between 2K-3.5K rpm was gone. I would say, the drone was reduced by about 75%-80%. There was just a slight drone, enough to remind me that I did have a full custom exhaust. Power wise, I did notice a slight decrease but it was still stronger than stock.

As a DD car, the decrease in drone completely outweighed the loss in power. I am completely happy now!

Hope this helps anyone looking into this product.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm going to bump this thread with my experience as well. I have an 02 TL-S with the notorious for drone Greddy Evo 2. It's a great sounding exhaust, but the drone was simply obnoxious. I searched high and low for a fix and I sure as hell found it here.

I ordered a 3 disk 2.5" CC insert with the SS packing and had it installed today. I had a shop install it because right after the cat there is a bend in the piping so I couldn't put it in myself. I had them grind down the disks and slip it into a piece of pipe that he welded in after the cat, before the first resonator. You guys weren't kidding, the difference is night and day. WOW

Start up is throaty but quieter, idle is damn near silent, acceleration is mean yet subdued (like a G35-37) and highway cruising is blissfully quiet once more.
I think there may be a slight loss in power, most likely any small gains from the exhaust are gone, but it's not enough for me to care.

I can't thank you guys enough for trying this out and posting your experiences on here. It really saved me from months of droning and the complaining girlfriend that accompanies it (Although she still doesn't like hearing the exhaust at all )

Cheers
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Cruisin'

I had mine installed in late October and I did notice one negative thing about it after going through this year's winter. For some reason, when the weather is very cold the insert causes the car to stall or hesitate a bit sometimes on hard acceleration. I know some of you might think that this is normal during colder weather, but my car never did this before I installed the insert. It's not a huge problem but something that you may want to consider if you live above the sunbelt.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
ive heard sticking a potato in your muffler also helps. its basically what this "insert" does. its probably more restrictive than OEM
Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
how much does it take for a shop to weld this into the exhaust??

i need some estimates
Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Cruisin'

I paid my mechanic $45.00. It only took him like 30 minutes to do it.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

So today I removed the Maganflow system and the insert and went back to stock. The insert took care of the drone but the power loss wasn't any fun either. Oh well, sometimes mods are cool sometimes they aren't.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dark Shark
So today I removed the Maganflow system and the insert and went back to stock. The insert took care of the drone but the power loss wasn't any fun either. Oh well, sometimes mods are cool sometimes they aren't.
Did you really loss that much power?? Are you saying you gained power by going back to your stock system???
Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Has anyone ever thought about installing a butterfly valve and wiring it to a switch inside the car? This would quiet down droney, raspy exhausts for cruising while letting you open them up for full sound and performance... Those inserts look like they would bottleneck your exhaust and kill any performance you got from it.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:31 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Dynomax has just come out with a new muffler, I think similar to what your describing...the VT series. It has a butterfly valve that opens at full throttle. For regular driving it is partially open. They say...this makes for a quiet exhaust...NO drone, and performance like a straight pipe. "Drone-Free Performance"

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt
Old 06-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Cruisin'

I don't think the Dynomax is available for Honda/Acura. :-(
Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
You would make your own system using their mufflers...I guess you could go this route but I was just thinking of buying an apexi valve and having it welded into the system so you could have your choice in mufflers. I know butterfly valves are commonly used in BMWs and other high end luxury cars. They even put one on the M5.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

Hi Everyone,

I live in UK and had 2 cc inserts shipped from the US for my car, one for each side. I get a drone between 2400 and 2900rpm. My question is this... do I leave the cc inserts in without the plug or restrictor or just the plug or the restrictor. I really want to remove drone and not sure what effect the plug and restrictor has. It's a problem as the exhaust tip has twin tips so the exhaust has to be cut 10" back from the end, popped in and welded back in, not just banged in with a mallet... All the best and thanks in advance.

Paul
Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Do not use the plugs, just put the unit in as it sits without the plugs/inserts....it should work well! I will wait to hear about the outcome!!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
I sound deaden the rear... Drone still there.. What the ?@#$$%#$ lol

Screw it I will just live with it and just shift at higher RPM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:24 PM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,234 Posts
FWIW I did a dyno on my car with/without and lost 30 hp to a silencer. I paid too much to increase power to give any back so put up with the noise.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM

I had bought a 3 disk insert, and after having it installed I posted that little blurb up a few posts, well I didn't know what I was talking about there. My car lost noticeable power in the upper rpms where the J32 makes most of its power. I did a 0-60 run and it took my TL-S 9 seconds so I said eff it I'll have them cut off 2 of the disks (such a waste of money) and leave one in. I got my power back, and put up with the drone. It's a little less with the one disk left in. I should have stayed stock but boy does she sound fantastic from the outside.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:14 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I wanted to bump this thread. Will I really see that much significant HP loss by using one of these considering I have PCD's, an RV6 J-pipe w/o res and an XLR8 cat-back? Some people are saying they've lost 3 seconds on 0-60 times or even up to 30HP. I'm just having a real hard time believing that.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 PM
10th Gear

I got RV6 V3 pre cats, RV6 V3 J-pipe, ATLP V2 Cat Back Non Resonated...The sound is sick, but the drone was horrible, so I got an advice to get these inserts called "borla venturi". I got them from Borla Exhaust guys. That thing helped a lot, the drone is almost gone, and I dont feel any lost power at all...Big thanks to DomGSR-T that his advice!!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AtlM5
Has anyone ever thought about installing a butterfly valve and wiring it to a switch inside the car? This would quiet down droney, raspy exhausts for cruising while letting you open them up for full sound and performance... Those inserts look like they would bottleneck your exhaust and kill any performance you got from it.
I had actually set up to do just that a long time ago...bought 2 flanges and 1 electric exhaust cutout, which is the butterfly u speak of. looks just like a throttle body.

I didn't wanna set this up to get rid of any drone or whatnot, i just wanted it so i could set up my exhaust to its max free flow, and control noise with this setup.
I wanted to install it right past mid section of the exhaust...sandwich the cutout in between the 2 flanges and bolt it down. set up the butterfly so it never closes fully if i were to accidentally do so, and have it there for max flow whenever i wanted to floor it, at the control of a button.

while one might think why not just weld the cutout right directly to the exhaust pipe and avoid the flanges...it would be a slightly bad idea, since carbon build up could, and would eventually seize up the butterfly, which would then require some cleaning....having it bolted between 2 flanges would make it super easy to just drop it, clean it and reinstall it

this avoids the need for inserts or bottlenecking or whatnot..u wanna be quiet u keep it open at minimum. you wanna step on it, u open it up. its that simple.

I still have every single part to make this work, and it requires no more than an hr's worth of work really.

I just never got around it, and gradually started to care less about it lol

maybe one of these days ill get to it
Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by MI6
I wanted to bump this thread. Will I really see that much significant HP loss by using one of these considering I have PCD's, an RV6 J-pipe w/o res and an XLR8 cat-back? Some people are saying they've lost 3 seconds on 0-60 times or even up to 30HP. I'm just having a real hard time believing that.
I took actual video of before and after. Believe me I was not exaggerating the time. It was absolutely brutal. Basically felt like my car was choking in the upper rpm because the revs were not building quickly at all. In second and third gear my revs were climbing as slowly as they do in 4th and 5th with the 3 disk insert.
After removing 2 disks everything went back to normal.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Defeats the purpose of a 2000$ exhaust setup. Bottlenecking FTL?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

New user here, but I wanted to throw in my information for those wanting even more experience with the CC inserts. First off, they absolutely work. The drone was eliminated almost completely. I bought the 3 disc insert and used the caps that came with it. I was pretty happy.
Now for the bad, they rob a significant amount of power. I have a 2002 Acura TL-S with headers and a custom exhaust, eliminating the mid muffler and resonator and putting in magnaflows. Like TheMegalodon says,the power loss is brutal. It changed my shift points (rev'd a lot higher before shifting, almost redline) and retarded the engine enough that I lost 40mph off my previous top speed. It just wouldn't go anymore. I'm taking it to the exhaust shop in the morning to remove it. I'm trying a side branch resonator instead.