CC Insert for reducing exhaust drone....wow it works!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CC Insert for reducing exhaust drone....wow it works!

I know I am not alone here...a few of us really love our aftermarket exhausts, but do not like the annoying drone inside the cabin. I'm not 25 anymore, and I go on family trips and have a real job now.

The exhaust drone, drove my wife and I crazy. So, after 2 different exhausts and experimenting with various resonators....which by the way do nothing for drone, and only decrease volume a bit. I could not eliminate it.

I did a ton of research on, and found only positive results from others on forums. A product that reduces and in some cases eliminates exhaust drone. Car Chemistry makes/sells this CC Insert....that is placed inside your exhaust...a small tack weld to hold it in place. And, my exhaust drone is 90% gone. I love it. Originally, this is used for open headers and motorcycles.

Here are some pics.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
interesting...
Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ReplayMan
I know I am not alone here...a few of us really love our aftermarket exhausts, but do not like the annoying drone inside the cabin. I'm not 25 anymore, and I go on family trips and have a real job now.

The exhaust drone, drove my wife and I crazy. So, after 2 different exhausts and experimenting with various resonators....which by the way do nothing for drone, and only decrease volume a bit. I could not eliminate it.

I did a ton of research on, and found only positive results from others on forums. A product that reduces and in some cases eliminates exhaust drone. Car Chemistry makes/sells this CC Insert....that is placed inside your exhaust...a small tack weld to hold it in place. And, my exhaust drone is 90% gone. I love it. Originally, this is used for open headers and motorcycles.

Here are some pics.

Where did you install yours? What portion of the exhaust? How much were they?

Depending on where it is located, it would cause some restriction.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
07 TL type S NBP!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ ditto, I'm curious where you put this and if you felt any difference in throttle.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

We only need one insert...you can choose from 1, 2 or 3 disk (more disks, the quieter). I chose the 3-disk..$60. You can also weld the caps in...pictured above for even more effect. I didn't use them. Looks too restrictive.
And, you place it after the cat or resonator if you have one. If you don't have either...I guess after the J-Pipe.

I had a new resonator installed...just in case this thing didn't work. I was also experimented with a Flowmaster Hushpower mid-muffler. So, when my pipe was cut to install it...my buddy slipped this insert after it and tack welded it in.

Last edited by ReplayMan; 08-12-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Originally Posted by modificata3
^ ditto, I'm curious where you put this and if you felt any difference in throttle.
No difference in throttle...quieter and NO DRONE. I should say, there still is a tiny bit of drone. Maybe because I am so used to it...I expect it.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
hmm .. i might try this out if i decide to keep the greddy.. what exhaust do you have?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bzyrice
hmm .. i might try this out if i decide to keep the greddy.. what exhaust do you have?
he currently has th xlr8 non res
Old 08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
how can that not make a difference? not at low end, since the extra back pressure will help it...but up top, thats in the way of the exhaust flow....top end needs a wide open flow,
sorry to disagree but, especially for someone who's running boost...this is BAD in more than one way.
if you care to know how...ill be more than happy to explain...as ive already done enough of it
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
sorry but I rather run a long ass magnaflow resonator instead of putting that on

bet it might even add to the drone
Old 08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Intermediate

I'm just curious for other people with the XLR8 non-res, is the drone really that bad? Thats exhaust I'm going with as well and I'm somewhat sensitive to extraneous noise.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
That's pretty much how a muffler works, internal baffles to disrupt the sound that exhaust makes. But it looks very restrictive.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

It certainly does add a bit of restriction...no doubt. The guys at Car Chemistry said no more than a resonator would add. I did not feel a difference, and I am very happy with the sound.
Opel is right...I would not add this if you are running boost. Definitely need a free-flowing exhaust for turbo/sc cars.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 PM
04' tl 6 spd

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
This defeates the purpose of having a aftermarket exhaust. If you want quiter stay stock or just take out mid muffler and resonator.

High flow exhaust = performance = loud
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 PM
GFN0629

Originally Posted by bzyrice
As soon as I saw this post, I thought of your Greddy Exhaust...lol. If this thing is true and you hate the loud drone like you said you are getting, then this would be the perfect solution, because your Greddy Exhaust does look good. My only issue with this piece is that it does look like it would restrict the air flow quite a bit.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gfn0629
As soon as I saw this post, I thought of your Greddy Exhaust...lol. If this thing is true and you hate the loud drone like you said you are getting, then this would be the perfect solution, because your Greddy Exhaust does look good. My only issue with this piece is that it does look like it would restrict the air flow quite a bit.
haha.. yah man I shouldve let you ride in it to show you.. next time you are in otown let me know so we can meet up so you can hear the drone of the greddy lol ..
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Originally Posted by Joey tl
This defeates the purpose of having a aftermarket exhaust. If you want quiter stay stock or just take out mid muffler and resonator.

High flow exhaust = performance = loud
Your wrong...this doesn't defeat the purpose of having a aftermarket exhaust. Not everyone likes the drone. And, I have upgraded the entire exhaust system from the J-Pipe to the tips....I now have 2 1/2 mandrel bent exhaust....much better than stock. And the XLR8 or ATLP mufflers sound entirely better than the stock mufflers at Stage 3 or 4. Plus, I love the rolled angled tips on the XLR8. I am very happy with the set-up.
If you want to say I spent more money than I could of...fine.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

Hey Replyman, actually dont own an TL but i've been doing my own research as well to find some way to reduce my exhaust droning at highway speeds...and I am now very interested in this product...and have a couple of questions

Did the "disks" perfectly fit the diameter of your exhaust piping? Their website says you may need to "grind down" to make it fit. I know my piping diameter is 2 3/8...so im thinking I might have to get a 2.5' and grind down..

Would it be possible to fit it right after the cat? I figure if i open up that flange between my cat and catback I can fit it in there.

Im guessing from the pics you didnt get the "flanged" design?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

The piece fit really tight in the exhaust. Almost didn't need to tack weld. We took a rubber mallet, and banged it in.

You should give the company a call...I did. They're very nice and knowledgeable. If you can open up after the cat and fit it...good. That's where they recommend. After the cat.

And, yes...I did NOT get the "flanged" version....as that is for car with open headers.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
There are 3 ways to reduce exhaust noise. Restriction/backpressure is one of them. That's what you're doing here. Any gains you might have had from the aftermarket exhaust is gone.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

I Hate Cars...I often agree with a lot of stuff you say. And, your not totally wrong here. But my 2007 Acura TL was not purchased for racing, if it was...I would not have gone with an Acura. It is a very comfortable, and a great daily driver. And, I love to mod cars and have nice exhausts, I hate quiet cars. This insert really did a great job at keeping a nice exhaust tone and reducing the drone...similar to a G35.

Your post above may be correct to REDUCE NOISE. But, there's nothing I could do to REDUCE DRONE. No resonator, no muffler could do it. It has to do with vibration and harmonics. Plus, unless turbo or supercharged...you do need some back pressure.

Anyways, this thread is for anyone who cannot stand the drone...and if you add this piece to a non-res aftermarket exhaust....you are certainly not robbing yourself of the gains. It is equivalent to adding a resonator.

Last edited by ReplayMan; 08-25-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

I Hate Cars...I often agree with a lot of stuff you say. And, your not totally wrong here. But my 2007 Acura TL was not purchased for racing, if it was...I would not have gone with an Acura. It is a very comfortable, and a great daily driver. And, I love to mod cars and have nice exhausts, I hate quiet cars. This insert really did a great job at keeping a nice exhaust tone and reducing the drone...similar to a G35.

Your was post above may be correct to REDUCE NOISE. But, there's nothing I could do to REDUCE DRONE. No resonator, no muffler could do it. It has to do with vibration and harmonics.

Anyways, this thread is for anyone who cannot stand the drone...and if you add this piece to a non-res aftermarket exhaust....you are certainly not robbing yourself of the gains. It is equivalent to adding a resonator.
I totally agree, this thing reduces noise no doubt.

It's not important now but the best way to reduce drone without reducing power is to install a muffler/resonator as far upstream as possible like the 3rd cat location.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's not important now but the best way to reduce drone without reducing power is to install a muffler/resonator as far upstream as possible like the 3rd cat location.
Tried it all...my buddy owns an American Muffler. I've had a ATLP and now a XLR8. And, we experimented with numerous resonators in different locations. Nothing worked. I did a lot of research on drone and it's more complicated than just adding a resonator in a specific location.

Exhaust drone is an acoustic phenomenon based solely on the geometry and length of the pipe and you might change it slightly you will still have it. Just like the bottle example...the old blowing into a pop bottle where you get that resonance....you can mount that bottle in a block of concrete and you will still get that resonance effect when you blow into it. This is not the result of something physical actually vibrating it is a pressure wave phenomenon.

Last edited by ReplayMan; 08-25-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

Replayman,

I would have PM'ed you, but I don't have enough posts to do so yet. Do you mind if I email you? I saw your post about the CC inserts and I wanted ask you more questions about them.

Thanks,

D.Shark
Old 10-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Team Owner

Tried it all...my buddy owns an American Muffler. I've had a ATLP and now a XLR8. And, we experimented with numerous resonators in different locations. Nothing worked. I did a lot of research on drone and it's more complicated than just adding a resonator in a specific location.

Exhaust drone is an acoustic phenomenon based solely on the geometry and length of the pipe and you might change it slightly you will still have it. Just like the bottle example...the old blowing into a pop bottle where you get that resonance....you can mount that bottle in a block of concrete and you will still get that resonance effect when you blow into it. This is not the result of something physical actually vibrating it is a pressure wave phenomenon.
The car itself has a large effect too and I'm not just talking about sound deadening. For example, on my other car I found that by welding in a 1.25" solid metal bar between the framerails to stiffen the chassis, it reduced exhaust drone a lot without doing anything to the exhaust. There are some resonances between the exhaust and body of the car that are hard to get rid of. That's why it's best to knock down the sound as early on as possible.

Ford played some tricks with the 5.0 Mustang. With it's dual exhaust, one muffler was slightly larger than the other. This eliminated the resonance because they were at two different frequencies.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Cruisin'

Has anyone else besides Replayman tried these inserts? Can anyone confirm if they work??
Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
agree with IHC about deep down resonance. I can feel my whole trunk and rear deck vibrate at speed, worse when the cars cold and I'm making my first couple turns and throttle blips in the morning. love the car but, way too much loose shit moving around under the skin and in the cabin.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

oh well, I took the plunge and ordered the CC insert. I that doesn't work, I'm going back to stock.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Team Owner

Do you guys not see the crazy restriction here? You would likely be better off power wise to go back to stock exhaust.

Personally I would buy larger mufflers.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Do you guys not see the crazy restriction here? You would likely be better off power wise to go back to stock exhaust.

Personally I would buy larger mufflers.
I was concerned about restriction at first, but everyone I've asked who has the insert said that it really wasn't an issue. I wanted my exhaust more for the sound, and the drone is absolutely unbearable at times. If I lose a little bit of power for the sake of reducing drone, I can live with that. It will still be better than stock. I have a magnaflow catback system that has a 5x14 resonator and 4" tailpipes, so I'm not sure if going with another muffler is the answer. It's not the sound that bothers me, but the resonance.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Sorry, D.Shark. I just got a notify from this thread. Email me at kevinh1847@gmail.com if your still have questions. I'm wondering where you installed the insert & how many rings? It made a big difference in mine.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Replay! Sent you an email.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
...why are people getting upset?
man's entitled to his own opinion/mods!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear

what exhaust would you recommend? im not looking for a tin can type exhaust
Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
In my experience with all the TL's exhaust, exhaust like XLR8 and ATLP have louder exhaust noises and more drone. Now I had a Comptech Exhaust with an Aero Resonator and it had very little drone (I did not have jpipe/3rddelete or precats delete). The louder the exhaust, the more drone it has. Not sure if that is true or not, but with my experience of hearing and driving these cars, there is a big difference. But also this goes what a lot of people say. If you like an exhaust, but you're a "family man" and you like performing options, don't complain. To restrict the exhaust that you spent over $800 on is stupid, you'd rather go back to Stock. You spend $800 for 4HP. :/
Old 10-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
^ Comptech is the absolute greatest exhaust in terms on comfort/noise

ATLP & XLR8 are monsters... and sound great on the outside, but drone in the cabin

The Greddy.... well.... might as well just have open heads on the car
Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

installed the CC insert today and I put the sound cap on one end. The difference is like night and day. The car is noticeably quieter at start up. While the drone is not completely eliminated, I'd say it's reduced by about 70-80 % from what it was. It would probably be even quieter if had put the sound cap on both ends. The car still sounds great at WOT and revs. I did lose some of the power that I gained from the Magnaflow system but not enough to cry about. Besides, I bought the car as a daily driver not for racing. The bottom line is, the drone is at a minimum and definitely tolerable now. So I would say if you have a Magnaflow system and the drone is bothering you, take a look at this remedy. I was about to go back to my stock exhaust, but this changed my mind.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Racer

XLR8(Res) + Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator FTMFW!

I can listen to tunes at 6 volume with no sweat. Drone is pretty much tuned out.

Startup from outside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22180698@N04/3978775119/

Cruising the streets. Inside sounds of full system with Vibrant Resonator (I step into it for a sec at abt 22 secs remaining)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22180698@N04/3978662295/

Last edited by pellepelle_10; 10-25-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
I cleaned up the posts, if you guys want to fight out something, please feel free to do so while you are on vacation from here. Next one to instigate or start something will get a 2 week ban.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

hey darkshark i see u installed the insert on your exhaust. ihave a 06 tl with a greddy exhaust the drone is killing me on teh highway . what size did you get? theres are 2"-4" not sure which one i m suppose to get, and is there a huge improvment? or power loss? i appreciate your feedback.

Quick Reply: CC Insert for reducing exhaust drone....wow it works!