Can i install an apexi neo in my tl?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Can i install an apexi neo in my tl?

I was wondering if I can install an apexi neo I have in my TL. I just want to set it to activate vtec at a lower rpm... I only have a CAI at the moment but im getting high flow cats, a j-pipe, n a catback so I will need an afc to adjust my air/fuel ratio.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
i dont think you can....but im sure somone will chime in here with a def answer
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigg_86
I was wondering if I can install an apexi neo I have in my TL. I just want to set it to activate vtec at a lower rpm... I only have a CAI at the moment but im getting high flow cats, a j-pipe, n a catback so I will need an afc to adjust my air/fuel ratio.

when i bought my car a few months ago, it had it inside, i never played with it, but it was working before we removed it from the car
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
dont waste your time

read this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=apexi+neo

mostly for laughter btw

Last edited by Slooo97CL; 01-05-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^^ yes that thread has the whole debate inside.Dont be as naive as that guy.. To save you time of reading the whole thing, its not what you want.also, being that your NA, I dont think you will have any need or purpose for a piggy back system. either way GL to you..
Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
dont waste your time

read this thread

mostly for laughter btw
Ok?... that didn't answer my question... my apexi neo does have a setting to control vtec. I know bcuz I had it on my 01 gsr... but if u r telling me there is no way I can hook up the apexi to control vtec then I think u r wrong bcuz there must be cables going to the ecm from the vtec actuator that I can tap into.... im not planning to touch a/f ratio at all bcuz I know this would make no sense bcuz I have no mods that require any running.

That post did not show anything other than how ignorant that guy is. It stated nothing about controlling vtec...

In the other hand, the apexi will def help me once all bolt one (except sc) are installed... when u make it easier for the engine to "breath", a/f can be adjusted to correct fuel maps n have a smoother powerband. Correcting the a/f ratio across the powerband will increase engine performance although these simple bolt ons will only make small gains. For example, my brother in law has a 2010 camaro ss with a CAI high flow cats n a dual 2.75" catback recently tunned Went from 391whp to 441whp and he ran a 12.4 with street tires n he is no pro at driving.... the point im trying to make is that a CAI high flow cats a j-pipe n catback will def benefit from a piggyback...

Idk much about our ecms but I read that it can override the piggyback n take the settings back to stock...my question to this statement is "how the hell ppl have turbocharged our cars or scd, achive any type of running when the stock ecm overrides any changes made?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
^even the turbo and supercharger guys are having trouble.
you will see no benefit from lowering the vtec engagement point.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Good look with this...

Yo do realize Hondata stated they have no plans to release a N/A tune because they couldn't get any reasonable gains from it...
The discussion also followed that they tried to screw with timing and VTEC and only lost power in doing so, at least as I read the thread/feedback.

Now you're attempting to do the same with a reverse engineered harness, a piggyback, and a "hopefully" experienced shop that has never tuned a TL before.

That being said, you're attempting to what already been tried by true R&D proffessionals... with a less than optimal implementation and tuning strategy.

What's the definition of insanity? Repeating the same process over and over anticpating different results.

At best, you get a small amount of HP you never had, at a very high cost.

At worst you get a blown engine.

You guys gotta remember:
- Dyno charts ain't worth what thier printed on. If you think every mod you buy adds the amount of power you see on the marketing dyno plot, you're expectations are too high, and your last dyno proves it.
- Mods don't "stack up". 10 HP CAI, + 5HP P2R, + 11 HP greddy does not = 26HP. It's purely a function of flow. Installing one free flowing mod may gain 90% of the available power gain, and the other mods do nothing... It's all about how fast the engine can ingest and expell air.

The TL-S comes with a free flowing exhasut, larger bore engine, OE free flowing intake, lightweight cams... It's about as tuned as you can get. Bolt ons that further unrestrict a rather free flowing system yeild little gains.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but the #1 Honda tuner decided against doing this becasue of the results they got, I highly doubt you're gonna do any better.

All that said, I know you love your car as much as Ilove mine, and I hate to see you do something bad to it.
Originally Posted by Eoanou
Kennedy is correct, Hondata did mention that they had issues with the N/A tune because it yielded no gains, and some tunes yielded a loss (lowered Vtec engagement).

You have to understand that with these V-6 motors they are already running at nearly full capacity, getting 260whp on an N/A 3.5L motor is a lot.
Originally Posted by subinf
My TL was one of the test cars that hondata did a reprogram on. Nothing really came of it.
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I agree. And even if you didn't care about emissions and being legal, you still could not do stand alone engine management because the stock ecm is so tied into every system in the car even things like the climate control would not work right without it.

One thing I will say, these things are tuned for max power in stock form. They actually have a bit of knock retard, too much in my opinion on 91 octane. Throw some mods that increase airflow and it gets worse. However, it will adapt slowly via the 02 sensors and LT fuel trim. Add more air and you'll start seeing the values of the ST and then LT fuel trims changing to bring it back to the optimum AF ratio. The primary 02s are factory wideband sensors so that's a plus.
Originally Posted by I hate cars
There's still just not a whole lot a tune can do NA.

Once you hit the optimium AF for power and the maximum timing for a given octane, you're done. No more power to be had.

If you did a NA tune for 100 unleaded, you can throw a little more timing in there but still, I would be surprised at more than 20hp.
Originally Posted by opel
first off there has been a breakthrough its called the AEM F/IC, but no one seems to research or read anything, and it controls VTEC.

Secondly.. Apexi Neo controls AFR....what about IGNITION TIMING?????

and the MPG questions...everyone's looking to make power, but want better MPG.... IT IS NOT POSSIBLE on a fuel injected car, period! power is made based on how much air and FUEL <-----(seems to be everyone's worst enemy but want less of it to make more power) you can squeeze and the most higher compression possible inside the combustion chamber, and that can't possibly result to better MPG by squeezing more of those 2 inside your motor! (you can make more power by increasing compression ratio, but that'd require running a higher octane gas, which costs more)

I wish i knew a trick on how i could get less thirsty by drinking less water. (other liquids dont count)

All found in different threads discussing the apexi neo and other tuning options

Last edited by justnspace; 01-06-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
dont waste your time

read this thread

mostly for laughter btw
That thread...
Always hate arguing with hard headed people.