CAI's - Solution to water concerns and changing out your filter as often!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI's - Solution to water concerns and changing out your filter as often!!

I have been wanting to post this information since I starting reading threads about how so many people are concerned with water and there CAI's as well as the concerns of changing the filters on them! I finally got my AEM V2 yesterday so I am finally able to share this Info!!

I am lucky enough to live in the same town that the below product in manufactured and sold. I have been using these pre-filters for the past several years on everything from my 625HP 1969 Camaro to my boat and truck! They perform awesome and cut down your need to change/clean your filters dramatically as well as being WATER-RESISTANT!!

I have included pictures of the Red one I picked up this morning (many colors available). It was a small investment of 29 dollars which will save me on filter replacement over and over, plus give you fellow TL owners the peace of mind we want against water near our CAI Filters!!!

I hope this information is useful and everyone sees this as being a great investment and modification to your CAI like I do!

If you find yourself wanting one of these call Outerwears at 1-800-967-3450

Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So do you wash the pre filter when it gets dirty?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Personally, I don't see the point.

MY CAI filter is washable. Easy-Peasey to remove wash and replace. No need for a new filter for quite a long time.

Also, "Water Resistant" isn't going to help you if you submerge the filter; and it's the submersion thats trouble on a CAI, not a bit of rain or splash.

Finally, I'd wonder about how this affects airflow; if it's a restriction, that's not good.

:skeptical:
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AM TL
So do you wash the pre filter when it gets dirty?
You just wash it with a Mild Soap and Water!!

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

MY CAI filter is washable. Easy-Peasey to remove wash and replace. No need for a new filter for quite a long time.

Also, "Water Resistant" isn't going to help you if you submerge the filter; and it's the submersion thats trouble on a CAI, not a bit of rain or splash.

Finally, I'd wonder about how this affects airflow; if it's a restriction, that's not good.

They have Flow Analysis to show it does not affect airflow at all...Check out there website!! What does affect airflow is large debris like bugs and dirt clogging your filter...this eliminates that!!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Looks nice and seems like a good product. But, isn't the AEM filter the one you don't oil but just wash every so often? I guess it would be easier to remove the bag/cover than the filter itself.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Looks nice and seems like a good product. But, isn't the AEM filter the one you don't oil but just wash every so often? I guess it would be easier to remove the bag/cover than the filter itself.
I was not meaning to Target just AEM filters but the AEM is a Dry Flow filter the requires cleaning. The big benifit to these is the fact that you just simply can not plug up your filter with dirt and debris!! I have had the one on my truch for 3 years or so and have not even had to clean it! I am a believer but as in anything there will be the skeptical types.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought one of those "raincoats" as I like to call them for my Fujita F5.

Fujita, likes other mfrs., are providing this as an option recently.

According to Fujita, it provides very little restriction. After seeing the material firsthand, it is not unlike an ultra lightweight nylon rainjacket.

The main reason I purchased it was because I wanted a bit more filtering due to the road salt used in the winter months around here.

If my raincoat adds a little restriction, and it couldn't be much, then I really don't see a problem. Most CAI's can flow ALOT more air than we would ever need, unless you are supercharged.

I have had it on for about 5K now, and it's sort of like other (albeit smaller for most of us) uh..."raincoats". You don't even know it's there
Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Instructor

I believe Injen makes one of these also. Not really sure if it provides anything other than peace of mind buy hey go for it. It seems like you would still need to take off the filter to clean it regardless of whether one of those jackets were on it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
These are used in all types of dirt racin. Mini-Sprints, carts, sprints and others. I had some special made for a vacuum we use to shot blast floors and has helped tremendously.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Damn, now this thing has got me considering a CAI again. And just when I thought I was over the CAI's.

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City-ONE MONTH AWAY!!!
Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Instructor

I have one made by injen. I like it because it keeps the filter cleaner.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
YukonCole is simply saying it keeps the filter cone of the CAI from getting as dirty as often. The relocation of the filter, as we know, exposes it to almost outside of the engine bay.
Outerwears is a popular very brand popular in dirt racing, the remote control car industry (which is another $ pit hobby, I know), and are not solely used just for air filters. It's a good suggestion. If you live in a dusty area it would make filter cleaning less frequent. They do flow well, and small dust particles do penetrate. I have never noticed any discernible flow problems in my other uses. It's def not gonna stop u from hydrolocking your motor, but it will def give the filter portion of of any cone based intake a little more protection from the elements. Good suggestion here. If you think you may need it, don't hesitate to try it.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Hey, just so there's no confusion, I'm not in any way related to this company. It's just a product I found that happens to be made locally and works great!! It sounds like some other people have also discovered this to be a great benifit so that awesome! I live in MI and they throw a ton of dirt on the roads all winter so once things dry out there is a ton of dirt on the roads still which plugs filters!! This thing almost eliminates having to clean your filter...it really is an amazing product.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Damn, now this thing has got me considering a CAI again. And just when I thought I was over the CAI's.

same here!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
same here!
I just started another interesting thread in relation to AEM CAI's as well...check it out!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/air-temp-sensor-relocation-775301/
Old 05-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

exactly this...
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Quote:

They have Flow Analysis to show it does not affect airflow at all...Check out there website!! What does affect airflow is large debris like bugs and dirt clogging your filter...this eliminates that!!

Exactly this in return!!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
My K&N intake came with one of those in the original form. But they say its good for a certain time only, like every year and a half to two. Im not really sure. I just removed it and never got a new one, especially since i do think it restricts the flow.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by steven bell
damn, now this thing has got me considering a cai again. And just when i thought i was over the cai's.

national acura meet-june 6th/kansas city-one month away!!!
Click here for details and to sign up!

Originally Posted by izzy-type-s
same here!
+2.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear

Great community here!

I am purchasing an '04 TL A-Spec next week. Having hydrolocked an Accord on a rather inocent looking puddle I swore off CAI when I purchased my '98 Accord V6 and installed a K&N short ram.

When I test drove the Acura my 1st thought was 'man the intake is way too quiet'. The woman will be driving this car and I don't need another puddle to ruin another motor. After researching it seems that the Dragon is the only RAM choice I have.

My question to all of you is, do I loose any performance over the stock semi- CAI with the Dragon?

I read the dragon DYI thread on here, and it seems that there is an improvment, I also noticed it on the MOD sticky. (yes sometimes people join and read 1st) Being a K&N fanboy for so long I wish they made an SRI for the '04 TL.

So I will stop rambling and await someones feedback.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Opt10n
Great community here!

I am purchasing an '04 TL A-Spec next week. Having hydrolocked an Accord on a rather inocent looking puddle I swore off CAI when I purchased my '98 Accord V6 and installed a K&N short ram.

When I test drove the Acura my 1st thought was 'man the intake is way too quiet'. The woman will be driving this car and I don't need another puddle to ruin another motor. After researching it seems that the Dragon is the only RAM choice I have.

My question to all of you is, do I loose any performance over the stock semi- CAI with the Dragon?

I read the dragon DYI thread on here, and it seems that there is an improvment, I also noticed it on the MOD sticky. (yes sometimes people join and read 1st) Being a K&N fanboy for so long I wish they made an SRI for the '04 TL.

Thanks

They do. When you order the K&N typhoon, it comes in 2 pieces so you have the option to make it into a short ram if you wish
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM
2nd Gear

@S PAW 1, Thanks!! I see how that works now! That will be my 1st mod! Thinking J-pipe is the second.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool....glad I could help.

IMO, the next mod I would get is the Progress RSB. Power without control?????
I like the balance of everything...ying/yang type of thing

That J pipe looks absolutely sick, though (did I just say that?)
Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Yukoncole
You just wash it with a Mild Soap and Water!!

Yes, but neither does the stock filter in the stock box...

But while we're on the subject of restriction, every wonder why the filter is pleated? Now think about this piece of non pleated fabric you're putting over the filter. I just can't see this combo outflowing stock but again, more than stock flow is not needed until you've added some serious power over stock.

The only proper CAI is one with the filter in the engine bay with cold air ducted to a cannister that fits around the filter with a water and dirt trap but that will never be popular in the import world because everyone thinks the filter has to be in direct airflow.

I hope I don't sound too negative but I have to laugh at most of the 1,000 CAI posts around here.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I hope I don't sound too negative but I have to laugh at most of the 1,000 CAI posts around here.
No SHIT!!! This is probably the 1 reason that Opel got tired of being on this forum!!! Nobody bothers to SCROLL DOWN, or SEARCH, to find any info on what they are looking for!! It is pretty pathetic (if you ask me) that when you go to Performance section and there are 7 new threads on which cold air intake to buy! Just Fuckin' pick one! Look up cold air intake, in the search window.

Sorry bout the rant, not trying to thread jack, it is just getting really irritating to have to sift through all of these stupid CAI threads.

Peace
Old 05-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
No SHIT!!! This is probably the 1 reason that Opel got tired of being on this forum!!! Nobody bothers to SCROLL DOWN, or SEARCH, to find any info on what they are looking for!! It is pretty pathetic (if you ask me) that when you go to Performance section and there are 7 new threads on which cold air intake to buy! Just Fuckin' pick one! Look up cold air intake, in the search window.

Sorry bout the rant, not trying to thread jack, it is just getting really irritating to have to sift through all of these stupid CAI threads.

Peace
I feel your pain

If it's not CAI's, it's "what's the best oil?", or "my M/T beats your A/T".....etc.

Some post without a lick of experience, but they give first hand advice.

I got back on just a few months ago, and I'm suddenly remembering why I didn't miss it.

Yes, there is much knowledge to be gained...but it's hidden deep in the BS jungle

SEARCH is my friend
Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
I feel your pain

If it's not CAI's, it's "what's the best oil?", or "my M/T beats your A/T".....etc.

Some post without a lick of experience, but they give first hand advice.

I got back on just a few months ago, and I'm suddenly remembering why I didn't miss it.

Yes, there is much knowledge to be gained...but it's hidden deep in the BS jungle

SEARCH is my friend
I know what you mean. I'm considering retiring and using the search function if I have a specific question, trying not to have conversation with other posters.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

I know what you mean. I'm considering retiring and using the search function if I have a specific question, trying not to have conversation with other posters.
I don't want to get all weepy here, but you are one of the main reasons I have remained.

You, and like Southernboy, and 2-3 others, have a wealth of knowledge to share, as well as having the knack to show neutrality (something I sometimes lack) I have learned a great deal, and hopefully have helped some folks along the way.

But I know my BP was 10 points lower when I wasn't active in the forum

I probably should have PM'd this...but the thread's shot anyway
Old 05-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Im going to get a mop and bucket so I can clean up all this tears....lol. Anyone have a favorite mop brand? Does one absorb more that n the other?? I personally prefer the wooden handle over the newer plastic shit from china....LMAO
Old 05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yukoncole
Im going to get a mop and bucket so I can clean up all this tears....lol. Anyone have a favorite mop brand? Does one absorb more that n the other?? I personally prefer the wooden handle over the newer plastic shit from china....LMAO

LOL. You second handers are funny.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Instructor

LOL. You second handers are funny.
I got a 69 Z-28 with a 600+HP 377. I rebuilt/restored the car from the ground up by myself minus paint and built the motor on my own as well...my forth one so I am not totally with out a clue :wink:
Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Warning issued.

Alright guys-this thread has gotten WAY off course. Either we address the OP's original question, or we're done here.

I've issued warnings. If this ranting continues, bans will be doled out. There's no need for this line of conversation....

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-10-2010 at 09:54 PM.