CAI and Check Engine Light????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009 | 08:27 AM
Instructor

CAI and Check Engine Light????

I got approval from the CFO (wife) to get an intake and some other goodies over the next couple months. I was all pumped to order an AEM, then I read a disturbing thread about a Azine member getting a "check engine light" after installing a CAI.

Is this typical? What would cause the ECM to throw a CEL from an intake being installed? I've have other vehicles with intakes and never had a problem. I'm a little apprehensive to mod a brand new car with the balance of a 6yr/70K warranty left, but I figure minor stuff (see my sig) can't hurt.

Can someone clarify the intake and CEL possiblity?
Old 01-08-2009 | 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

i have a 97 tl 2.5 with a custom CAI and havent ever thrown a code.. i wouldnt worry
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:06 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Its possible....but VERY unlikely. Basically....if you do something wrong...it may....lol....otherwise your in good shape my friend! Dont worry about it....its not going to happen.
Old 01-08-2009 | 10:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Its possible....but VERY unlikely. Basically....if you do something wrong...it may....lol....otherwise your in good shape my friend! Dont worry about it....its not going to happen.
What exactly could you do wrong in installing an intake that would throw a code?
Old 01-08-2009 | 10:19 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by spinxt
What exactly could you do wrong in installing an intake that would throw a code?
Disconnect every vaccuum line from the engine or something? Dunno. It would be hard to do no doubt (to mess up a CAI install) but people never seem to amaze me....so I guess I was tossing in that factor too.
Old 01-08-2009 | 10:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by spinxt
I got approval from the CFO (wife) to get an intake and some other goodies over the next couple months. I was all pumped to order an AEM, then I read a disturbing thread about a Azine member getting a "check engine light" after installing a CAI.

Is this typical? What would cause the ECM to throw a CEL from an intake being installed? I've have other vehicles with intakes and never had a problem. I'm a little apprehensive to mod a brand new car with the balance of a 6yr/70K warranty left, but I figure minor stuff (see my sig) can't hurt.

Can someone clarify the intake and CEL possiblity?
that made me lol

The only way i know of to get a CEL from installing an intake, is not connecting the hoses/plugs.

I would not chop up the stock exhaust if you are worried about the warranty, you can get a catback and save the stock exhaust. If the cat goes bad they will blame it on the aftermarket exhaust, they did it to me on my old car. So if you kept the stock exhaust together, you can throw that back on and get a free new cat. If you had the aftermarket it wouldnt be covered.
Old 01-08-2009 | 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

You're only going to get a CEL if you forget to plug stuff back in as mentioned. Some ppl unplug the MAP sensor or something else and forget to plug it back in and that can throw a CEL.

You have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-08-2009 | 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by greco9885
that made me lol

The only way i know of to get a CEL from installing an intake, is not connecting the hoses/plugs.

I would not chop up the stock exhaust if you are worried about the warranty, you can get a catback and save the stock exhaust. If the cat goes bad they will blame it on the aftermarket exhaust, they did it to me on my old car. So if you kept the stock exhaust together, you can throw that back on and get a free new cat. If you had the aftermarket it wouldnt be covered.
Ya I'm a little apprehensive about taking the mid muffler off, but I really want to do the J-pipe. Under the car the other day, I was checking everything out, and visually the stock piece looks so restrictive. It's got to go.

I have a good relationship with the local Meineke shop. The exhaust fabricator down there is super clean. There is no cutting/welding involved in the J-pipe install, and if I have them remove the mid-muffler, I'll save it. In the case of a cat failure, I'll have the Meineke shop throw it back on.

That's my thought anyway.
Old 01-08-2009 | 12:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Excelerate
You're only going to get a CEL if you forget to plug stuff back in as mentioned. Some ppl unplug the MAP sensor or something else and forget to plug it back in and that can throw a CEL.

You have nothing to worry about.
Right.

Also, *at the time of installation*, if the battery is connected and you un-plug a sensor (like the MAP sensor), then, when you start the car, you'll have a CEL.

It will go away after a bit of driving and is not a problem.

Here's the "right" way to do it:

- Disconnect the NEG battery terminal *before* you start the mod (make SURE you have your Radio and Navi Codes).

- Do the mod; reconnect the NEG terminal.

- Start the car.

- If you have a CEL, you left somethig disconnected or did something wrong on the install; find it, fixi it; try again.
Old 01-08-2009 | 03:59 PM
New shoes on my

I threw a CEL with my V2, I was worried. Then I looked at the engine bay and forgot to re-plug in that harness that was unplugges from the top of the TB. Anyways, stuck it back it, left the neg on the bat disconnected for 5 minutes, and been driving around for a week so far CEL free.

I think you'll be fine. The parts are designed for the most part to not give you a CEL, and if it does, its usually just a minor bs sensor issue. worst case scenario, you take the CAI off and sell it, then replace it with stock again or another brand.
Old 01-08-2009 | 06:08 PM
Instructor

Bearcat and mglax13 are correct, disconnect the battery during install and make sure you hook everything back up.

I also installed a V2. I took out the battery to make the install easier so it was not hooked up. I also made sure I plugged everything back in. No CEL since I installed it about 1k miles ago...
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:12 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

no worries, if it comes on just reset it and it will never go on again.