Brakes for MY needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I dont think I'm ever going to purchase those brakes and rotors again. I put them on 100% correctly and they where great until like 1-2K into them, they started to warp and shake the whole car. I never even got on them hard and they warped themselves. I normally braked 98% of the time. On my STOCK brakes and rotors they had better protection against warping, and I GOT on them HARD so many times.. And the stopping power didnt seem too much better with slots. Though it's not a problem anymore to me since I just got a newer TL-S 6SP, and I have brembro's now. But in terms of me getting brakes next time around, I think I'm gonna just stick with OEM. I'd rather not deal with that stress again.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Which setup did you end up going with? Rotoras?

Are the rotors warped full time or only when they get hot? Any brake pad material on the rotors? I have a feeling lug nut torque is going to get brought up.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Which setup did you end up going with? Rotoras?

Are the rotors warped full time or only when they get hot? Any brake pad material on the rotors? I have a feeling lug nut torque is going to get brought up.
I got the Stoptech power slotted rotors with performance pads. That's all they went by. And there was some brake pad material on the rims, not insane amounts though. Normal. It would be warped full time. Not just when they were hot. It seemed when they did get hot though, and when I did get on them hard it would stop plenty and you would notice the trembled less. They did great when I used them in a high performance maneuver. With hardly any fade ever. So in that matter they did great. But why would they suddenly warp from normal braking as opposed to being aggressive with them. When they did warp, even under slight braking I could feel it. Even my passengers would make notice of it. And the lug nuts were never torqued on past a good arm tight. Not saying I didnt put them on there tight. They were on there plenty.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had this same Stoptech package on my car for approximately 4K miles and I haven't experienced any warping yet.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Advanced

The stock rotor and pads on my car @ 97K miles - fronts are worn down but the rear pads are still like new. The stopping power is ok but the warpping drives me crazy.
Starting from cold, no brake issues - stops quickly and no shaking but drive on freeways with very minimal braking for about 2 hrs and then brake - the pedal and steering shakes like its going to fall off and takes longer to stop. What could be the problem here and whats the best solution for an everyday driver?
Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 AM

So I am actually going to buy new brakes again. Not going with those Stoptech's. Since I want to avoid what happened last time. Thinking i'm going to use the link I originally supplied in this thread only for the Brembro's. Since I have those now on my Type S.
I am going with OEM this time round. So if anyone knows of a place with good OEM prices hit me up! Haha.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

I put zinc coated, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads F+R on my 05 A-Spec 6MT made by Power Stop no tax, free shipping for $190 from BrakeMotive on ebay. Yeah, yeah...I know..fleabay..whatever. Had them on for 4 months, VERY happy with them. Noticeably better braking and feel AND hardly any brake dust. No warpage. No rust on the rotor hats either, looks so much better, especially with the A-Spec wheels. Just make sure you bed the pads properly. They come with instructions on how to do this. I put this pkg on 4 different vehicles, no complaints. Check it out...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by RJNN TL
So I am actually going to buy new brakes again. Not going with those Stoptech's. Since I want to avoid what happened last time. Thinking i'm going to use the link I originally supplied in this thread only for the Brembro's. Since I have those now on my Type S.
I am going with OEM this time round. So if anyone knows of a place with good OEM prices hit me up! Haha.
Did you try re-bedding the pads again? Pad material deposits can cause a shimmy/vibration in the steering wheel which ppl confuse for warped rotors. In the four or so years we've been selling STOPTECH you would be only the second person to tell me their STOPTECH rotors warped. Now, anything is possible but usually defective rotors are defective right out of the box. If they warped later on though it's usually due to a few things:

1. Over-tightening the lug nuts. Hand tight or really tight is not a good indication. The wheels need to be torqued in a star pattern to 80 fts lb of torque.

2. Improper pad bed in. Use this link for pad bed in.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

3. Pad material deposit

If you do a 120mph stop and the rotors and pads are hot you're going to deposit pad material on the rotor. You will need to try to re-bed the pads to remove that uneven surface deposit.

All this being said, I never like to see a customer unhappy with their purchase. PM me and I will give you a significant discount on a set of STOPTECH components if you choose to go that route b/c I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Did you try re-bedding the pads again? Pad material deposits can cause a shimmy/vibration in the steering wheel which ppl confuse for warped rotors. In the four or so years we've been selling STOPTECH you would be only the second person to tell me their STOPTECH rotors warped. Now, anything is possible but usually defective rotors are defective right out of the box. If they warped later on though it's usually due to a few things:

1. Over-tightening the lug nuts. Hand tight or really tight is not a good indication. The wheels need to be torqued in a star pattern to 80 fts lb of torque.

2. Improper pad bed in. Use this link for pad bed in.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

3. Pad material deposit

If you do a 120mph stop and the rotors and pads are hot you're going to deposit pad material on the rotor. You will need to try to re-bed the pads to remove that uneven surface deposit.

All this being said, I never like to see a customer unhappy with their purchase. PM me and I will give you a significant discount on a set of STOPTECH components if you choose to go that route b/c I don't think you will be disappointed.
Thank you for the offer. I appreciate that. I will get back to you as soon as I know what's going on. I'll think about it.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Hey there, sorry not to see this sooner, but glad you like your brakes. For all others who read up here I would like to say I'd put Racingbrake rotors up against all competitors. They are definitely a premium product at an average brand name price. Sometimes you pay more for a brand...sometimes you get better stuff.

Now we are offering pre-selected brake packages that make your life simple when ordering.

For example, look at this kit:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/HT-Spec-B...-pr-65492.html

$541 after coupon for 4 permium rotors, great street pads, stainless lines, and fluid. And it is way under $500 if you choose to leave off the "looks only" rear rotors.

Just sayin'...sorry I am late to the game to help.
is this deal still going on? very interested. its for a 08 tl-s, i want the rear slotted rotors and can i change to motul 5.1 fluid instead of the honda stuff?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJNN TL
Not sure about Brembos and Racing Brakes. But I went with the Racing Brakes rotors and ET300 pads. Also SS lines. Been abusing them, been 30k at least, and they are flawless. No shimmy, no warping, feels same as when I got them.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM

So which brake set up is technically superior? StopTech? Or Stock Brembro Type S. Im looking into them again on my Type S. See what happens.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Cruisin'

I DON’T RECOMMEND anyone to buy STOPTECH Brake pads and Rotors from http://www.excelerateperformance.com,

I am an owner of 2007 Acura TL TYPE-S. I bought performance brake pads and rotors from http://www.excelerateperformance.com made by STOPTECH for my TYPE-S thinking I will have better breaking system but I was wrong and made the biggest mistake of my life. I spent about $650 for the parts and $350 in labor to install all four brake pads and rotors on my car back in August of 2010 which is about 2 ½ months ago. As of today, every time I hit the brakes my car is severely vibrating and I am fade up with it. This is been going on for past 3 to 4 weeks, so today I took my car to Acura where I got them install in the first place, and the mechanic checked all my brakes and rotors and told me that they are worn out. This after market drilled slotted and high performance brakes pads didn’t last me three months. I just bought OEM brakes and rotors from Acura.
So once again, this is strongly recommended to everyone who has 2007 Acura TL Type-s, DO NOT BUY, DO NOT BUY, and DO NOT BUY!!! (And people at www.excelerateperformance.com and STOPTECH were not helpfully at all and didn’t get my money back either or at least half of it)
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

I DON’T RECOMMEND anyone to buy STOPTECH Brake pads and Rotors from http://www.excelerateperformance.com,

I am an owner of 2007 Acura TL TYPE-S. I bought performance brake pads and rotors from http://www.excelerateperformance.com made by STOPTECH for my TYPE-S thinking I will have better breaking system but I was wrong and made the biggest mistake of my life. I spent about $650 for the parts and $350 in labor to install all four brake pads and rotors on my car back in August of 2010 which is about 2 ½ months ago. As of today, every time I hit the brakes my car is severely vibrating and I am fade up with it. This is been going on for past 3 to 4 weeks, so today I took my car to Acura where I got them install in the first place, and the mechanic checked all my brakes and rotors and told me that they are worn out. This after market drilled slotted and high performance brakes pads didn’t last me three months. I just bought OEM brakes and rotors from Acura.
So once again, this is strongly recommended to everyone who has 2007 Acura TL Type-s, DO NOT BUY, DO NOT BUY, and DO NOT BUY!!! (And people at www.excelerateperformance.com and STOPTECH were not helpfully at all and didn’t get my money back either or at least half of it)
a
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

x
Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Cruisin'

f
Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

t
Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

k
Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by djyesh01

k
I get your point. But damn. One post was enough!

Interesting hearing that though. Hmm. Same shit that happened to me.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts

k
You should be banned for spam.

I offered technical solutions in one of your many other posts. You refuse to acknowledge anything. It's like you WANT to go around badmouthing the brand and vendor instead of trying to figure out what happened. For that I don't care to help you anymore. You're losing all credibility around here.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts

I spoke to you and the service guy for a good amount of time on the phone personally and I'm sorry to hear about your issue. You are only the second person in the course of 3 years to have complained about STOPTECH products and we have sold hundreds of rotors and pads.

As I explained to you on the phone, the wheels need to be torqued to 80 ft lbs of torque in a star pattern. The pads need to be bed in properly. Neither of these things were done. Rotors don't become defective 3.5 months after installation; rotors are defective right out of the box. The fact that the vibration didn't occur until months after indicates improper installation or driver error. And if the rotors and pads were worn out after 3 months then there is more serious issues going on. You either are extremely hard on your brakes or you got a sticking caliper.

Also, we are not the manufacturer. We cannot control warranty policy. Brake warranty is very subjective. It is designed to warranty the product for issues right out of the box, not issues generated after abuse or improper installation. How does STOPTECH know whether you weren't doing 150mph to 0 mph stop or doing brake stands? Imagine you bought a new set of tires then did burn outs every day. After 500 miles your 25k tire is worn out; do you think the tire company would warranty it? That is how brake warranty is; it's designed to cover the consumer for defects out of the box since abuse and improper installation can cause issues further down the road. If the parts weren't defective out the box, which you said they weren't, then it was likely something else that caused the problem.

That being said, I don't like unhappy customers. I would have worked with you to replace the components at a discount. Or I can give you a discount on a future purchase to offset some of the cost.

Last edited by Excelerate; 11-19-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You should be banned for spam.

I offered technical solutions in one of your many other posts. You refuse to acknowledge anything. It's like you WANT to go around badmouthing the brand and vendor instead of trying to figure out what happened. For that I don't care to help you anymore. You're losing all credibility around here.

Agreed. This post is subjective and is obviouslt not coming from someone who knows the technical aspects of brakes or cars in general. they are most likely regurgitating whatever the dealer told them, who I am sure was not shy at all about being slanderous about aftermarket parts.

Nobody should take this post too seriously.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Hey are you all that complain about the warping only seing this on the Type S model? I'm getting my mechanic to install these rotors and pads on Wednesday, and now I'm nervoucs...just got them in last Thursday
Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Just keep doing what you've planned to do and proceed with bedding steps as explained by Stoptech link posted by Excelerate. Treat your new rotors and pads as you had the car new and you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by kdybread
Hey are you all that complain about the warping only seing this on the Type S model? I'm getting my mechanic to install these rotors and pads on Wednesday, and now I'm nervoucs...just got them in last Thursday