Brakes for MY needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brakes for MY needs.

So I've been looking around. And since I have little experience really in brakes, my input may be limited. I take turns a lot of I take roads from high speeds to a quick stop. My current OEM brakes did a "decent" job. But I am looking for a brake package that is both affordable within the $1,000 range and very effective for my needs. I'd like a brake package I dont need to worry too much of warping from. I've looked into A-Spec and Brembro. But since I dont have Brembro I've made the decision to stay away from it considering I would have to replace more components and it'll be a bit more expensive.

I was considering this package: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Heeltoe-B...-pr-40006.html

If anyone is willing to tell me which combination would give me the more bang for my buck, that'd be fantastic! $1,100 is the most I am willing to go.

I'd like some input on which "could" fit my needs.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
im looking into getting new rotors and pads very soon and im most likely going with rotora slotted back and forth with rotora pads from http://www.excelerateperformance.com/
He has a sale going on right now on those brakes... the coupon is AZROTORA

four rotors and four pad around $ 450
Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,429 Posts
I bought my Racing Brake Slotted (all 4) from MR. Heeltoe and they are amazing! I take stops from about 75 to 0 every day and they have held up for over 50K! I'm using Acura Aspec pads which I bought from tim for around 105 dollars for all 4 pads. If I recall correctly, I paid 750 including labor for the whole deal, 4 new pads, 4 new rotors!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM

So which pad is the best? A-Spec? I am just unsure which would be the best combination on that HealToe buy. :P
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do aspec pads on fit the brembos?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
im looking into getting new rotors and pads very soon and im most likely going with rotora slotted back and forth with rotora pads from http://www.excelerateperformance.com/
He has a sale going on right now on those brakes... the coupon is AZROTORA

four rotors and four pad around $ 450
BukvaMan, Do you know how long this sale is going on? link?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooohh, it looks like I may have finally found the relevant thread for my current need...

I, too, have a 5AT 3G TL and need new brakes. Seems like every brake-related thread is for 6MT cars, and thus the larger Brembo brakes.

I got 61K out of my current brakes, and while I could probably squeeze another 10K out of them, I would have preferred to have replaced them 10K ago, which is when the pedal started becoming noticeably long and the pulsations noticeably violent. My rear rotors are junked. I have to imagine the pads had some kind of imperfection in them that caused uneven wear.

Last summer, while I had it up on stands and the wheels off, I replaced all of my brake fluid. The old stuff was like the color of a light bourbon... not too bad, but it was certainly easy to see when the new fluid hit the drain bucket. Now, it's time to replace the hard bits.

I'm not a modaholic - I just want some "better than OEM" stopping power, and to get another 40-60K miles out of this next set.

I was looking at the RacingBrake slotted rotors, as those seem to be the most universally recommended rotor, but picking pads seems to be a crapshoot.

Some love Hawk, some hate them. Same goes with most.

But, I haven't seen a bad review on the RacingBrake rotors yet, so I'm probably leaning in that direction...
Old 05-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
BukvaMan, Do you know how long this sale is going on? link?
im not sure for how long but he told me for a while....

just go to excelerateperformance.com .... the guy is well known around here if you dont know already.

Coupon is AZROTORA
Old 05-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Do aspec pads on fit the brembos?
nope, Acura TL ASPEC pads are ONLY for the 5AT TL.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM

So which brake pad has the best optimum stopping power?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM

Anyone have input? I just want to put together the best combination, yet not spending over 1K pretty much.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I've only used what my car had when I bought it (unknown), and now using RacingBrake pads - the ET300's at all four corners. That's on the RacingBrake rotors on my 5AT. Braking is strong, although a bit loud under hard braking. Everyday driving is great. No squeeling or screeching. They are kind of dusty, too. Especially if I drive hard. I don't remember what the stock ones were like because they were warped really soon after I got the car.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by NE14RoxCJ
I've only used what my car had when I bought it (unknown), and now using RacingBrake pads - the ET300's at all four corners. That's on the RacingBrake rotors on my 5AT. Braking is strong, although a bit loud under hard braking. Everyday driving is great. No squeeling or screeching. They are kind of dusty, too. Especially if I drive hard. I don't remember what the stock ones were like because they were warped really soon after I got the car.

Yeah my brakes, are SHOT. As in they are going to grind soon. So I need some input soon on which is the best combination. Any other people have input? btw Thanks NE14RoxCJ
Old 05-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The ROTORA rotors and ROTORA H2 pads are a good combination. With the discount code ( AZ ROTORA ) you get a great bang for the buck.

STOPTECH and their other division Powerslot are also great rotors.

If you have a TL-S or a TL Base M/T we have this great package:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-304786.aspx

If you have a TL base AT then you want this package:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-304785.aspx

We also have STOPTECH drilled/slotted rotors on the website. And if you want to get something extra grab our XLR8 Stainless steel brake lines to improve the brake pedal feel.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Excelerate
The ROTORA rotors and ROTORA H2 pads are a good combination. With the discount code ( AZ ROTORA ) you get a great bang for the buck.

We also have STOPTECH drilled/slotted rotors on the website. And if you want to get something extra grab our XLR8 Stainless steel brake lines to improve the brake pedal feel.

Now how much better are these than OEM? I'd like to get just slotted. Not D+S. I make a lot of hard braking, so fade and all of that really matters to me. I wish we had like a good comparison of HealToes VS Excel. But I am looking into your buy Excell. 450 is VERY good!

I just need more info before I make my absolute decision.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RJNN TL
Now how much better are these than OEM? I'd like to get just slotted. Not D+S. I make a lot of hard braking, so fade and all of that really matters to me. I wish we had like a good comparison of HealToes VS Excel. But I am looking into your buy Excell. 450 is VERY good!

I actually just jumped on that deal. Now I can't wait until my rotors/pads go bad. Def gunna run the stocks until they are dead.

Can anyone answer how worthy upgraded steel brake lines are?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 PM

I'd like to make a decision VERY soon. So the sooner, the sooner I start ordering. :P
I just wanna know how much better these are. And the Excell pckg. comes with all 4 slotted rotors? and pads for F+R? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:11 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
I actually just jumped on that deal. Now I can't wait until my rotors/pads go bad. Def gunna run the stocks until they are dead.

really a great mod for pedal feel...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
really a great mod for pedal feel...
+1.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:12 AM
GODZILLA & 3G TL

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Man I don't even need new brakes yet, and I'm thinking of jumping on that Excelerate deal. That's crazy inexpensive for good quality components on all 4 corners IMO.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 AM

Man. So 4 slotted rotors. And pads for F+R? Awesome. Damn. And it's only 450! I may jump on that. Just how better are these brakes than OEM though?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

These are premium discs with a power alloy compound and the package for the base TL Auto also comes with curved vanes. The slots also help carry gas and heat from the center of the rotor and the slots cut into the pads to prevent them from glazing. So these are significantly better than OE rotors.

Stainless steel brake lines give you a better pedal feel. The stock brake lines are rubber so when the fluid gets hot the line expands; stainless steel will not expand and therefore the pedal stays firm. It's a good idea to change them because it forces you to bleed the brake system, which you should be flushing your brake fluid every 2 years or so.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by princelybug
+1.
and i bitched out on the lines, I hate myself right now. Time to call them back and get em for $100. the dude from excelerate should have just sold me on them, damn you dude!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

and i bitched out on the lines, I hate myself right now. Time to call them back and get em for $100. the dude from excelerate should have just sold me on them, damn you dude!

We try not to be pushy with customers. We let them decide what is best for them after giving them advice. It's a small item so it's cheap to ship. Actually, better yet, order it with something else.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
wow - that's a heck of a deal for brakes/rotors...!!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
So I've been looking around. And since I have little experience really in brakes, my input may be limited. I take turns a lot of I take roads from high speeds to a quick stop. My current OEM brakes did a "decent" job. But I am looking for a brake package that is both affordable within the $1,000 range and very effective for my needs. I'd like a brake package I dont need to worry too much of warping from. I've looked into A-Spec and Brembro. But since I dont have Brembro I've made the decision to stay away from it considering I would have to replace more components and it'll be a bit more expensive.

I was considering this package: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Heeltoe-B...-pr-40006.html

If anyone is willing to tell me which combination would give me the more bang for my buck, that'd be fantastic! $1,100 is the most I am willing to go.

For the 5at with a $1,000 budget you could look into the Wilwood 12.6" (stock 5ats are 11.8 and stock Brembos are 12.2") 4 piston kit for $600-$800.

I picked up a set of used 13" Rotoras for $800.

But what it really comes down to is what you need. You say you brake hard but have the brakes ever faded? If they've never faded, you could try just an upgraded pad for some extra insurance and call it a day. In the end, the tires determine how quickly the car can stop as long as brake fade is not present.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Advanced

These are premium discs with a power alloy compound and the package for the base TL Auto also comes with curved vanes. The slots also help carry gas and heat from the center of the rotor and the slots cut into the pads to prevent them from glazing. So these are significantly better than OE rotors.
Just curious if the brakes on the auto A-Spec model are the same as the base model?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I have ordered the Excellerate deal. And I will post my impressions soon as I install them. Thanks again!

To Ihatecars: Yeah they are on the verge of fading. They went through one hell of a summer and winter on them. Haha. I am surprised of how good the OEM ones were in the first place. Thanks though, I appreciate the information on the Rotoras. I may consider them the next time I look into brakes.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by d-j-m
Just curious if the brakes on the auto A-Spec model are the same as the base model?
The A-Spec model does not have different brakes. If you have a base TL Auto then there is one one option. If you have base TL M/T or a TL-S Auto or M/T then you have only one option.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The A-Spec model does not have different brakes. If you have a base TL Auto then there is one one option. If you have base TL M/T or a TL-S Auto or M/T then you have only one option.
True, but the pads are different if you have an AT A-spec...which from experience works a lot better than the stock base pads.

Last edited by blkaspec; 06-09-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 AM

I am looking forward to these considering OEM wasnt too bad. It was darn decent for OEM pads and such. I am going to run the crap out of these though before I get these new ones. Haha. They're shot anyways.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the info.

I find the A-Spec brakes to be very good, I'm sure the pads help alot with that. I may order that set-up for the future to save money, so long as I keep my car.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM

So we installed them. It was very very easy. Just we countered one problem. Which was those Philips screws. Those things were in there so good it was nearly impossible to get them out. Then we had to drill them out. We didnt even end up putting them back in. Considering all they do is hold it while the rims off. Besides that the caliper holds it in place anyways. So that problem was overcame. But in terms of me really testing them out. I havent given them a huge test yet. I was though very impressed by normal stopping power and how much room you have and option before actually getting them working hard. Overall. Very impressed by the quality of these pads and rotors. This deal was a great buy! Highly recommended.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Drifting

So we installed them. It was very very easy. Just we countered one problem. Which was those Philips screws. Those things were in there so good it was nearly impossible to get them out. Then we had to drill them out. We didnt even end up putting them back in. Considering all they do is hold it while the rims off. Besides that the caliper holds it in place anyways. So that problem was overcame. But in terms of me really testing them out. I havent given them a huge test yet. I was though very impressed by normal stopping power and how much room you have and option before actually getting them working hard. Overall. Very impressed by the quality of these pads and rotors. This deal was a great buy! Highly recommended.
Did you end up getting the slotted?

I got the same set-up as you, now I am waiting on install w/brake lines. It's good to hear you like them, makes me happy with the purchase already.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Glad to hear you're enjoying them.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts

Hey there, sorry not to see this sooner, but glad you like your brakes. For all others who read up here I would like to say I'd put Racingbrake rotors up against all competitors. They are definitely a premium product at an average brand name price. Sometimes you pay more for a brand...sometimes you get better stuff.

Now we are offering pre-selected brake packages that make your life simple when ordering.

For example, look at this kit:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/HT-Spec-B...-pr-65492.html

$541 after coupon for 4 permium rotors, great street pads, stainless lines, and fluid. And it is way under $500 if you choose to leave off the "looks only" rear rotors.

Just sayin'...sorry I am late to the game to help.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excelerate, are there any additional mods or parts that need to be done with the package you show below for the TL base AT? I have a 2004 TL AT.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I personally would suggest lines and brake fluid be added to a comprehensive brake upgrade. Hence even our lowest stage 0 kits include these parts.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kdybread
Excelerate, are there any additional mods or parts that need to be done with the package you show below for the TL base AT? I have a 2004 TL AT.
Rotors/pads should be sufficient for most people. If you are looking for a firmer pedal I would also install stainless steel brake lines and flush the brake fluid with MOTUL DOT 5.1 brake fluid.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I personally would suggest lines and brake fluid be added to a comprehensive brake upgrade. Hence even our lowest stage 0 kits include these parts.
Agreed. Upgrading fluid is just as important as upgrading pads and rotors. In my experience with the TL, the pads start to give up right before the stock fluid on hard street stops but on extended track days the fluid can actually boil before the pads fade.

Quick Reply: Brakes for MY needs.