ATLP J-pipe V2 Deterioration!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ATLP J-pipe V2 Deterioration!?

So I've had my ATLP V2 Jpipe for just over a year. Got it December of 2009. Now as of this month I am noticing lots of deterioration of around the flex pipe part. Whats going on ATLP? I paid kinda about $400 for it! I'd love to get some answers on this. :/
Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Did you try contacting ATLP about it?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would def contact them!! I have obe toand no problems yet....
Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Does anyone know their contact information? I ordered it from HealToeAuto.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,050 Posts
HeelToe's taken over ATLP, so I'd just contact them.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
http://www.heeltoeauto.com
Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM

I contacted them. See what they have to say about it. I'm kinda ticked. Considering I've bought probably $2,000 worth of parts from them in the past.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
SHAWD 04TL is in

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Could have been a bad batch of flex material... Just contact them, they are extremely helpful in dealing with issues like this.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
You contacted them and what did they say? I have the same pipe but only have about 500 miles on it before storage. If they dont do anything about it... which they should, you can buy another flex portion and have it welded in at an exhaust shop.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

I don't understand being "pissed" when you have only just now contacted them, and you haven't given them any chance to make things right and help you out. If they jerked you around, by all means be pissed. But man, I don't even get why you'd post this thread without first contacting them and seeing what they will do for you.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Pics might help.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd say a guy has a right to be a little pissed if something that should last close to the life of the car is falling apart a year after installation. Even if they "make it right" by giving him a whole new J-pipe he's still probably out the cost of swapping them out, never mind the time wasted to go to the shop to have it done. Kind of like having a blown motor on a one year old TL without the loaner car. Even if they replace the engine it's still something to be pissed about.
The following users liked this post:
4drviper (11-28-2014)
Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
if you bottomed out and scrapped it, that's ur fault otherwise check your motormounts that could be a sign of those failing

you can't blame a parts failure at first glance
Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Originally Posted by jpgayan
I'd say a guy has a right to be a little pissed if something that should last close to the life of the car is falling apart a year after installation. Even if they "make it right" by giving him a whole new J-pipe he's still probably out the cost of swapping them out, never mind the time wasted to go to the shop to have it done. Kind of like having a blown motor on a one year old TL without the loaner car. Even if they replace the engine it's still something to be pissed about.
I guess we just disagree. There's no need to take it to a shop to swap out the j-pipe really. It is a simple job. And if someone doesn't want to be bothered to do that, why would they modify a car in the first place? Like the previous poster says we don't know if it was bottomed out or anything as there are no pics. We can't ask anyone to be perfect, only to make things right when they have a problem.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 PM

It isnt from motor mounts, it was in still very good shape when I put it onto the Type S. My motor mounts should be mint with 40K on the OD. So thats out of question. Also it isnt from bottoming out. I would know if I did and plus it's on the upper part of the Jpipe pointing towards the shield.

And to Svtec: I'm not like going to kill anyone. But of course i'd be a little ticked. I just want some answers. Also isnt HealToe on these forums a lot? They've responded to many of my posts in the past. And I posted this to see if anyone else had a similar problem.

I am in no doubt Healtoe will do what's right. It just came to me as a surprise. Since it's made out of such high quality material. In terms of taking it off and such. That's not too much of an issue. I did all the work myself anyways.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

I would agree that you have a right to be upset. A 400.00 pipe made of stainless should last almost the life of the car... somehow Acura managed to make the OEM flex last 100k+ so i find it a bit weird that the Aftermarket cant match if not beat that. When you pay 400 for a pipe you expect it to be made of top quality parts.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

No worries. I guess personally I'd be disappointed to see it deteriorating already, and then I'd be pissed if they refused to do anything. This thread seemed like you were "calling them out" publicly, without giving them a chance. Good luck I'm sure they will take care of you.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got that impression as well stvtec thats why i asked what Healtoe said but didnt get an answer.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:29 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
It doesn't look like you're the only one with the problem. I'd be pissed as well if I paid good money for a part that failed so quickly. Anyone have this problem with RV6 or XLR8 j-pipes?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/atlp-j-pipe-flex-section-falling-apart-795302/
Old 02-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RJNN TL
It isnt from motor mounts, it was in still very good shape when I put it onto the Type S. My motor mounts should be mint with 40K on the OD. So thats out of question. Also it isnt from bottoming out. I would know if I did and plus it's on the upper part of the Jpipe pointing towards the shield.

And to Svtec: I'm not like going to kill anyone. But of course i'd be a little ticked. I just want some answers. Also isnt HealToe on these forums a lot? They've responded to many of my posts in the past. And I posted this to see if anyone else had a similar problem.

I am in no doubt Healtoe will do what's right. It just came to me as a surprise. Since it's made out of such high quality material. In terms of taking it off and such. That's not too much of an issue. I did all the work myself anyways.
how would you know?

at 34k one of mine were shot

i also hate when people bitch about something going wrong with a product without even attempting to contact the maker
Old 02-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
From my experience these aftermarket exhaust are crap.

I bought a rv-6 v1 jpipe, Flex pipe was hissing right from the bat, got it replaced under warranty. and sold it for a

ATLP v2 Jpipe, which the flex pipe also took a shit & cracked, got replaced under warranty, and so far no issues. I bought my 07 tls with 16k miles and it now has 34k miles

Billy Boat performance exhaust aka XLR8. My passanger side muffler now has been replaced 3x (in less than two years) and the 3rd one which JUST came was defective from the manufacturer, everytime with each muffler it has made a tinning noise making it sound like rice car, making it embarrassing to "rev it up" also the muffler hanger that is welded on the muffler, the weld snapped so i had dangling muffler that took over 2 months to get a replaced. Making me having to go on my 3rd P.O.S. muffler from them now needing a forth. I throw in the towel now because this is BULL SHIT! I do have to say customer support from all has been very good, other than having to wait 2 months with a dangling muffler to get replaced.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
if you bottomed out and scrapped it, that's ur fault otherwise check your motormounts that could be a sign of those failing

you can't blame a parts failure at first glance
+1, AT 40k I went through 5 sets of axles and a set of motor mounts. I will not comment on the flex pipe but nothing lasts forever as my first car's motor/tranny and clutch went at 8K miles! It was an STI btw.

OP, hissing is from a failing/bad flex pipe and I am personally thinking about going custom and it will consist of a custom stainless T-304L full exhaust from block to mufflers soon with stainless flex pipe/hangers/mufflers. Its going to cost about the same as getting these exhausts pieces but with no name from a reputable shop with magna-flow high flow cats/mufflers. If all else fails they will be local to fix, but with them specializing in exhaust machining/welding I am sure there would be no problems down the road and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

If all goes well I plan on offering my own exhaust soon which may consist of one full piece (pre cats,J pipe with a high flow cat attached - will officially be the best exhaust scavenging with a high flow cat). It would run somewhere around $1000, but will be full T-304 L stainless thick material with stainless flex piping/stainless hangers and magnaflow 200/250 cel count cat. I will start working on this and have exhausts available for pre-order soon. I will see if I can also get some high flow primaries made and will be making my own personal strut tower bar for around $120. Stay tuned..

The flex pipe is made to "flex". If you had a bad one to begin with, were all human and buying anything today, nothing lasts forever and nothing is built like it was back then. Your hangers could be loosening and the exhaust could be swaying more then normal, your engine mounts could be "going" not necessarily gone and you could of bottomed out and not even know it with having bad suspension/being too low. I would have contacted them first though before bad mouthing them because they may not even want to help you now since this happened.. :two cents:
Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want answers then talk to whomever you bought it from. You're beating around the bush ranting on a public website. Go direct to the people that should know and make it right if there is in fact a problem...the manufacturer/distributor.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 AM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

There's no need to take it to a shop to swap out the j-pipe really. It is a simple job. And if someone doesn't want to be bothered to do that, why would they modify a car in the first place? - stvtec
Really? Have you heard of a dwelling called an "apartment"? Most decent ones don't allow auto maintenance in their parking lots. Does this mean we shouldn't bother upgrading/personalizing out cars? You're right about verifying that there wasn't some sort of user induced damage that caused the premature failure. Nothings perfect but if Hyundai's have higher failure rates than Honda's it's going to deter me from buying the Hyundai, even with their 100,000 mile warranty. Same applies to j-pipes. If this is a fluke then no big deal. If it winds up being a pattern then potential buyers should know going in that they may face similar problems.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM

I'm in no way calling them out this or that. My mounts are fine I assure you of that.

I definitely didn't bottom out. Once again the only reason of this thread was to see if other people had a similar problem. I'm slightly ticked because it's just over a year old and I thought these things were of a better quality or equivalent of OEM. Man everyone on this forum seems in a bad mood. lol:

"hate when people bitch about something going wrong with a product without even attempting to contact the maker"

"I would have contacted them first though before bad mouthing them because they may not even want to help you now since this happened.."

"You're beating around the bush ranting on a public website."

I didn't bad mouth them at all. I was a bit upset about the product's wear for being on there only a years time. Legit reason. Also once again to see if anyone had similar issues with the Jpipe! Simple as that. Calm down people.

And I also did contact them. They seem very willing to assist me. I am in no way angry with Healtoe. Just annoyed at THE PRODUCT. Not the service specifically. I believe they'll do the right thing.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by jpgayan
There's no need to take it to a shop to swap out the j-pipe really. It is a simple job. And if someone doesn't want to be bothered to do that, why would they modify a car in the first place? - stvtec
Really? Have you heard of a dwelling called an "apartment"? Most decent ones don't allow auto maintenance in their parking lots. Does this mean we shouldn't bother upgrading/personalizing out cars? You're right about verifying that there wasn't some sort of user induced damage that caused the premature failure. Nothings perfect but if Hyundai's have higher failure rates than Honda's it's going to deter me from buying the Hyundai, even with their 100,000 mile warranty. Same applies to j-pipes. If this is a fluke then no big deal. If it winds up being a pattern then potential buyers should know going in that they may face similar problems.

Thank you! Exactly my purpose of this post.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
RJNN TL- sorry to see this happen and I do hope it gets resolved soon but I did want to comment on one thing. You keep saying you want to see if others have had this same problem and that's why you posted this thread. However, there is absolutely nothing in your original post that indicates that ( i.e. to see if others have had an issue). That's why members (including me) see this is as nothing more than a rant without contacting the vendor first. (which is ok I guess).
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ggesq
RJNN TL- sorry to see this happen and I do hope it gets resolved soon but I did want to comment on one thing. You keep saying you want to see if others have had this same problem and that's why you posted this thread. However, there is absolutely nothing in your original post that indicates that ( i.e. to see if others have had an issue). That's why members (including me) see this is as nothing more than a rant without contacting the vendor first. (which is ok I guess).

My apologies I can see why some could of taken it the way they did.. I contacted the vendor about it and they seem more than willing to help me out. I should have specified the thread purpose better.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
RJNN TL- we're good man. No need to apologize. You didn't do anything wrong. It's kinda hard sometimes since we are all using this forum and sometimes its hard to get your point across the way you intended to. Again, good luck.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Word, no hard feelings. One last thing though... its "heeltoe" not "healtoe".
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by stvtec
Word, no hard feelings. One last thing though... its "heeltoe" not "healtoe".
Haha! True true!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Man that thing is in BAD shape! I dont drive my car in the winter so i am hoping mine will last a little longer then... well everyone else!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
It would be nice to see the Vendor repsonse to this thread about the potential flex pipe deterioration problem. I recall that when there was the hissing issue with the first batch of RV6 J-Pipes, Richie was quick to repond and address the issue. It would seem reasonable that the aftermarket pipes would be at least the same quality as the OEM.

Thanks to the OP for posting the potential issue along with the pictures as I have been thinking about getting a J-Pipe for a while.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 PM

So I've talked to Heeltoe. This is what they have to say to this. Supposedly the kind of salt they use on the roads in upstate NY makes it so it deteriorates faster. And that it may have been subject to atypical use. And if I was using pre-cats (which im not) it would be even more of a possibility.

Let's now make it a little bit more official that I'm a bit more ticked than I was. I bought a $400 Jpipe which was suppose to be about OEM quality or better and it only lasted my car through "A" winter and a half. And even this winter I rarely drove it in the snow or in salty conditions. Complete bullcrap if you ask me.

Pretty sure the OEM one is cheaper priced and lasts through YEARS of winter weather before having an issue.......

All I want for compensation is a new Jpipe and to send my old one in. So we'll see where this goes. :/ Little disappointed in ATLP..

PS: I dont exactly race my car on a track. I go to work and back...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
If that doesn't get warrantied after a year on the car and NO scraping etc...the type of salt on the ground in upstate NY wouldn't be good.

I know ATLP was/is a good product, but Heeltoe is super busy and may handle business a little differently. With the V3 RV6 Jpipe such a close competitor, publicly pissing off a forum member and telling them it's their fault may not be a wise move. People research the hell out of these threads before picking a Jpipe...

Good luck, man. Hopefully you kept your old stock jpipe, worst case. Otherwise have this welded or sell it to someone for a discount and have them fix it.

J.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Damn, thats weak IMO. I know the salt is brutal up here, but a part should not look like that after 1 year on the car. No way. And it is JUST the braided cover on the flex. The rest of the tubing does not look rusty. Looks like it was a cheapo flex section. Pissed-off-edness now warranted.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
That's a bullshit excuse. I've lived in Upstate NY my whole life. I'm not talking White Plains either, but close to Syracuse, where 150 inches of snow annually is the norm, and I've never had any issues with any oem exhaust components, and you can imagine the amount of salt my vehicles have been subjected to. They should at least reimburse you for getting some new flex TIG welded in.

I'll have to take a close look at my J pipe now.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

That is crap. We use the same "kind" of salt here in WI and you dont see flex pipes failing after 2 years on all cars that frive in the winter. That is bull and now i kind of wish i would have bought a different J-Pipe. Oh well we will see what happens to it!
I would instead of putting the OEM one back on go to and exhaust shop and get that one fixed.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

The exhaust shop will have to weld it while on the car, at least tack welds, so that the flange lines up right and isn't twisted. So don't rush to take it off it may be a waste of your time.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 AM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

It's a shame the OP is the first person to ever drive through a Northern winter with an ATLP product installed on his car. lol That's about the weakest excuse I've ever heard. Makes me glad I ordered an RV6 j-pipe. It sounds like Richie actually stands behind his product.

Quick Reply: ATLP J-pipe V2 Deterioration!?