Anyone using a Data Logger???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using a Data Logger???

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but if anyone is using a data logger it would be in here...

So, is anyone using a data logger, and if so what type, and what type of parameters can you get with it. I'm looking for one to diagnose some issues I'm having with the car stumbling (and an overall loss of power), I think it is a knock sensor pulling back timing, but I can't say for sure. So anyone have a good data logger????

Last edited by blokhead; 08-12-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Some scan tools can read what you are looking for but most generic cheaper ones cant. You make sure the basics arent bad such as plugs/clogged egr and so on?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

I've got a long thread in Problems and Fixes about water that got my pcm from the AC evaporator... Basically the dealer is saying it's fixed, and I'm not. It's lost power and definitely is stumbling. It's weaker than it was in stock form. Almost feels like a 4 cylinder, but I think a data logger would be a great performance mod, especially for the Supercharged/Turbo guys. I'm leaning towards supercharging at the end of the summer, but if the car is running like shit, the more likely it'll be to blow up totally.

Here is the thread about my mishaps with the PCM for your enjoyment...
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/car-wont-start-ac-froze-up-now-pcm-full-water-736795/
Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
do you have any codes right now? as far as just reading codes, you can get any obdII scanners...under $100, they're good enough to read codes...a datalogger would cost a lot more...they can read a lot of stuff, pretty much everything ur ECU can...

i read ur entire PCM thread...its really fucking ridiculous how they couldn't fix it... so on the last post, you mentioned getting the car back...and it felt rough and all that.... id have those valves adjusted....some dealers dont even bother... some think, stripping a head, and putting everything back together without touching the valve taping screws (where the adjustment's made) would actually be fine, assuming that it was good before it was stripped...and this is very far from the truth...especially on a honda head...YOU HAVE TO DO A VALVE ADJUSTMENT. period!!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by Opel
do you have any codes right now? as far as just reading codes, you can get any obdII scanners...under $100, they're good enough to read codes...a datalogger would cost a lot more...they can read a lot of stuff, pretty much everything ur ECU can...

i read ur entire PCM thread...its really fucking ridiculous how they couldn't fix it... so on the last post, you mentioned getting the car back...and it felt rough and all that.... id have those valves adjusted....some dealers dont even bother... some think, stripping a head, and putting everything back together without touching the valve taping screws (where the adjustment's made) would actually be fine, assuming that it was good before it was stripped...and this is very far from the truth...especially on a honda head...YOU HAVE TO DO A VALVE ADJUSTMENT. period!!!!
Supposedly they adjusted the valves, the tech even told me a little about the procedure... but who knows, it definitely sounds like an older civic. I don't know if the knock sensor is pulling timing or what, That is one of the reasons I would like to get a datalogger. The car isn't throwing any codes right now, but you can tell it isn't running right. I'd just like some ammunition to back it up....

Also it would be nice for in the future to be able to monitor the car when I get the SC...
Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a ScanGauge II which is pretty awesome for what it costs, but it cant' datalog that I know of. It can clear codes, though, which is handy. I also use it to monitor IAT and coolant temp. I hope they come out with an AFR reading upgrade for it soon.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by Audioserf
I have a ScanGauge II which is pretty awesome for what it costs, but it cant' datalog that I know of. It can clear codes, though, which is handy. I also use it to monitor IAT and coolant temp. I hope they come out with an AFR reading upgrade for it soon.
That's good to know. Does it show timing retard and/or the knock sensor output? I'd really like to get something that I can download the data from though, but that isn't a deal breaker.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Ask in Car Talk...much larger audience in there. In fact, I think there was already a thread about this.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Ask in Car Talk...much larger audience in there. In fact, I think there was already a thread about this.
I'll do that. I did a search, but just in 3rd gen TL. Thanks, Jack.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by blokhead
That's good to know. Does it show timing retard and/or the knock sensor output? I'd really like to get something that I can download the data from though, but that isn't a deal breaker.
It does not. It's got a bunch of basic gauges (IAT, coolant temp, throttle position, voltage, MPH, MPG, RMP, and some others) and can pull/clear codes. Beyond that it doesn't do much...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we have the HP Tuners VCM. we used it on a 08 vette, ive always wanted to try it on my car. im pretty sure it would work, i dont see why not
Old 08-13-2009, 03:12 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Here's a data logger for your iphone....looks cool. It's 2.0 update will log hp/tq

Rev Link
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm using an Innovate LM-2 for all of my A/F and data-logging needs. Monitors up to 16 channels of OBD-II data at the same time. With the OEM 1GB SD card I can log something like 700 hours worth of data.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 AM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by greco9885
we have the HP Tuners VCM. we used it on a 08 vette, ive always wanted to try it on my car. im pretty sure it would work, i dont see why not
Thanks, I looked it up, but I don't think they support the TL. But it may not hurt to to try it...

Originally Posted by ReplayMan
Here's a data logger for your iphone....looks cool. It's 2.0 update will log hp/tq

Rev Link
I'm actually leaning this way right now. When I was checking out their website, they had a link to PLX, for the wireless obd connector. PLX also has a bunch of pretty cool things on their website.

http://www.plxdevices.com/

Originally Posted by bmeyer
I'm using an Innovate LM-2 for all of my A/F and data-logging needs. Monitors up to 16 channels of OBD-II data at the same time. With the OEM 1GB SD card I can log something like 700 hours worth of data.
Have you had any problems with it??? I googled it and checked out their forums, it seems like a lot of people are having problems with theirs... But it does look promising. Also it is a complete kit with the wideband O2 and bung at Summit Racing. I'm on the fence about this one.

But thank you guys for your replies. I'll let you know what I end up getting and how it works...
Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
0 problems with the LM-2 so far. One down-side to it though is that it cannot replace the stock O2 sensors (they're not narrowband so the LM-2 can't output a signal to the ECM. It only does narrowband simulation output.). It's not a big deal for me though since I'm running pre-cat deletes. I put a single sensor in my J-Pipe.

I picked up my kit from VR Speed Factory. They had the best price on it.

Last edited by bmeyer; 08-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I usually borrow the Snap-On scanner from my old employer for a weekend. This is how I found the knock that was going on in my car.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I've been running the Harrison RD OBDII datalogger/scanner since the late 1990s. I run it with my laptop. Not bad for about $140.

http://www.obdscan.net/scantools.htm
Old 08-15-2009, 01:40 PM
PCM full of water, yummy

Originally Posted by Dave_B
I've been running the Harrison RD OBDII datalogger/scanner since the late 1990s. I run it with my laptop. Not bad for about $140.

http://www.obdscan.net/scantools.htm
That looks like a pretty good deal. How is the software interface?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by blokhead
That looks like a pretty good deal. How is the software interface?
Decent, but I have the older verison. The newer software looks much nicer.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by ReplayMan

Rev Link
That looks pretty sweet.. May have to pick up an itouch and download that app..