Is anyone running this J-Pipe Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Is anyone running this J-Pipe Setup?

Yes another J-pipe thread. I am looking into finally doing a J-pipe on my 2007 Type S and I debating all the options (PCD HFPC, etc) But I am wondering about a particular setup why it isn't more popular on our cars and if anyone is running this setup? Has anyone done the earlier generation j-pipe like the XLR8 V1 that didn't remove the 3rd cat and done precat deletes? I feel like this is an ideal setup you eliminate the pre cats but still kind of meet emissions with the 3rd cat and if you wanted to do a high flow cat there is only one larger less expensive cat to replace. It would be nice if there was a j-pipe on the market that bolted directly to the exhaust manifold but did not delete the 3rd cat. In theory that pipe should be less expensive than a J-pipe and PCDs.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,160 Likes on 909 Posts
i ran the xlr8 v1 before. it hangs low and i kept scraping it so i sold it and got the atlp v2 (keeps the 3rd cat in place).

there is a dyno day that a vendor did to compare all the jpipes and this atlp v2 jpipe did the best and still keeps a 3rd cat in place. i have a high flow 3rd cat as well that the oem heat shields bolt to and looks stock since i live in california and they are very strict on emissions.

most people use the 3rd cat delete jpipes but there's still a decent amount of people that keep the 3rd cat in place with their jpipes (especially if they live in california)

i would recommend atlp v2 with an atlp or xlr8 high flow 3rd cat.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
i ran the xlr8 v1 before. it hangs low and i kept scraping it so i sold it and got the atlp v2 (keeps the 3rd cat in place).

there is a dyno day that a vendor did to compare all the jpipes and this atlp v2 jpipe did the best and still keeps a 3rd cat in place. i have a high flow 3rd cat as well that the oem heat shields bolt to and looks stock since i live in california and they are very strict on emissions.

most people use the 3rd cat delete jpipes but there's still a decent amount of people that keep the 3rd cat in place with their jpipes (especially if they live in california)

i would recommend atlp v2 with an atlp or xlr8 high flow 3rd cat.
Have you had to smog your car yet? Any issues?
Old 05-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Have you had to smog your car yet? Any issues?
i've smogged here no issues...i'm running a high flow 3rd cat and HFPCs. the only issue i had was flashpro. when i had my flashpro calibration loaded, i didn't know it was messing up my smog results so i failed like 3 times before i flashed my ecu back to stock and passed easily. then just loaded my tune back up after.

wish i had known that before i uninstalled and installed my hfpcs twice in trying to figure out what was going on haha
Old 05-17-2016, 12:35 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
i've smogged here no issues...i'm running a high flow 3rd cat and HFPCs. the only issue i had was flashpro. when i had my flashpro calibration loaded, i didn't know it was messing up my smog results so i failed like 3 times before i flashed my ecu back to stock and passed easily. then just loaded my tune back up after.

wish i had known that before i uninstalled and installed my hfpcs twice in trying to figure out what was going on haha
hey man i live in cali too and was wondering about passing smog... its reassuring to know you can pass even with the exhaust mods youve done.. however i had a few questions.. are your HFPC coated in ceramic or polished? im guessing you passed visual since you said you passed no problems
and lastly do you think the car will pass if you had HFPCs, atlp v2 j-pipe, and a test pipe in place of the 3rd cat.. visuals should be no problem since the heat shields bolt on but im wondering if it will pass smog...
i know they recently changed smog procedures and they no long use the tailpipe sniffer anymore so im wondering if i can get away with a test pipe instead of a highflow 3rd cat
Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by champaned_out
hey man i live in cali too and was wondering about passing smog... its reassuring to know you can pass even with the exhaust mods youve done.. however i had a few questions.. are your HFPC coated in ceramic or polished? im guessing you passed visual since you said you passed no problems
and lastly do you think the car will pass if you had HFPCs, atlp v2 j-pipe, and a test pipe in place of the 3rd cat.. visuals should be no problem since the heat shields bolt on but im wondering if it will pass smog...
i know they recently changed smog procedures and they no long use the tailpipe sniffer anymore so im wondering if i can get away with a test pipe instead of a highflow 3rd cat
you will pass completely fine with a test pipe in place. people have passed with the jpipe 3rd cat delete but that's sketchy because it can easily fail the visual. best best is to go with a test pipe/HFC that has the tabs for the oem heat shield.

i did pass visual as well but i also didn't pass visual at another place. one place said i had modified cats (HFPCs) and i said i didn't know that because my brother mods my car (not true haha). so the guy let me go without a smog charge.

went to another place and passed easily. they were so backed up they were trying to knock them out as quickly as possible haha.

it really depends on the shop and how tough they inspect. they will check for a carb sticker if you have an intake though (luckily the aem v2 comes with a carb sticker for the accord haha but no one looks up the specific car application)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:54 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you running stock injectors? My inspection is up as well, thanks for the heads up on loading a stock calibration before doing smog. Problem is i'm running RDX injectors, and I know for sure it's gonna throw a code when I revert back to stock.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

I am running stock injectors