Old 09-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do not exist
Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Car Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borrowed from Jet's website...

"The JET Performance Import Computer Upgrade Package is the solution to performance tuning import and domestic sport compact vehicles. Import computers do not have computer chips that are easily removed, making it necessary for JET engineers to either reprogram the vehicle’s existing chip or remove and replace the chip by desoldering it from the circuit board. The kit provides you with all the materials required to safely send your vehicle computer to JET’s lab for a high performance software upgrade. Once we receive your ECU it will be programmed according to the information you provide on the vehicle specification sheet to optimize performance and mileage to match your specific modifications. JET's exclusive Dynamic Spectrum Tuning provides optimal performance across the entire power band-not just at full throttle. Programming includes extensive modification to air/fuel ratios, ignition advance and boost pressures for turbo applications. "

It can be done, but you will have to send them your ECU... Nothing like being without a car for a couple of days and totaly trashing any form of warranty...

John
Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PAIDJ-42hoe
any web sites for info?

i have seen some stuff at
jetchip.com
I have heard from several other posters on here that most all of the performance chips out there are a waste of money....? One of them really seemed to know their stuff and be a major computer geek and had tested the settings compared to stock and said that most of the changes were minor and would have little to no real effect on performance. I dont know....just what I heard....
Old 09-14-2005, 10:53 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Snakestang65
Borrowed from Jet's website...

"The JET Performance Import Computer Upgrade Package is the solution to performance tuning import and domestic sport compact vehicles. Import computers do not have computer chips that are easily removed, making it necessary for JET engineers to either reprogram the vehicle’s existing chip or remove and replace the chip by desoldering it from the circuit board. The kit provides you with all the materials required to safely send your vehicle computer to JET’s lab for a high performance software upgrade. Once we receive your ECU it will be programmed according to the information you provide on the vehicle specification sheet to optimize performance and mileage to match your specific modifications. JET's exclusive Dynamic Spectrum Tuning provides optimal performance across the entire power band-not just at full throttle. Programming includes extensive modification to air/fuel ratios, ignition advance and boost pressures for turbo applications. "

It can be done, but you will have to send them your ECU... Nothing like being without a car for a couple of days and totaly trashing any form of warranty...

John

This sounds WAY more feasable and realistic if you really want to see a difference in something like that.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I have heard from several other posters on here that most all of the performance chips out there are a waste of money....? One of them really seemed to know their stuff and be a major computer geek and had tested the settings compared to stock and said that most of the changes were minor and would have little to no real effect on performance. I dont know....just what I heard....
They actually do something, but probably not worth the cost. I had a 2000 Monte Carlo before my 2004 TL. I bought a performance chip for it for around $350 and I definitely noticed some changes. The shifting was much quicker and there was more of a smoother power band. Was it worth $350? Probably not.

Joe
Old 09-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all chips are different, our car is finely tuned, the only thing we would probably get out of it would probably be at most 5-10 hp, and around 500 extra RPM.....on the CL boards some people even reported losing power because the chip screwed up the power band, so i myself will personally be waiting for comptech to come out with something
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
all chips are different, our car is finely tuned, the only thing we would probably get out of it would probably be at most 5-10 hp, and around 500 extra RPM.....on the CL boards some people even reported losing power because the chip screwed up the power band, so i myself will personally be waiting for comptech to come out with something
don't hold your breath for CT to come out with something, they don't even have a CAI yet.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

Jet is a joke, dont waste your money.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:18 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
a chip is only good for a car that has a stock turbo application. thats it.

it may remove your rev limiter..... nice job blowing your engine
Old 09-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flvol77
don't hold your breath for CT to come out with something, they don't even have a CAI yet.
they might be able to apply something because they are chipping the tl for the supercharger...so something might come out of it...theres always hope
Old 09-15-2005, 10:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2005Aspec
Jet is a joke, dont waste your money.
Yes they are...a joke that is! Go to clubrsx.com...they did a test on the Jet chip and proved that it does absolutely nothing.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Instructor

What you must understand about ECU modifications is this, it stems directly from what we know to make power. Optimize Air Fuel Ratios(AFR) and ignition timing. From my experience with the TL, the stock spark maps are very close to max power, therefore not much can be done with ignition timing unless a higher octane race gas is imployed. At this point, you would advance ignition timing to the safe side of the detonation threshold for this type of fuel, giving you more power. Of, course, this would mean dyno tuning and you would have to have a way to alter ignition timing(via standalone Engine Mangement System or ECU reflash).

Fueling is a little rich for this engine, so it could stand to be leaned out to about 13.5:1 AFR which will yield a few more horses, but nothing more than 2-5 alone with just leaning it out.

If comptech realases something, it will probably be in the form of a AFC(Air Flow Converter), which is basically a MAP sensor clamp that tricks the MAP sensor to see a certain value to modulate the injectors, thus creating different AFRs. But there are costs to this, which i can get into later.

If i were you guys and were serious about this stuff, i would wait to see what Hondata is going to do with the TL. But, of course, you didn't hear that from me!! :-)

BTW, just in case anybody wants to know, i'm a tuner.

CJ
Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoBig
Yes they are...a joke that is! Go to clubrsx.com...they did a test on the Jet chip and proved that it does absolutely nothing.
Clubrsx.com...my home away from home...

CJ
Old 09-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TeamXRSX
Clubrsx.com...my home away from home...

CJ
Yup..me too. I've and RSX Type S...too.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes chips are junk because they just add timing and you get a lot of knock from them, so you make less power.

You really need to look at a stock dyno sheet and see what the AF looks like. Might be some power to be had by adding some timing or leaning it out. But if the car is already 12.5:1 AF stock there might not be much room.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Sometimes chips are junk because they just add timing and you get a lot of knock from them, so you make less power.

You really need to look at a stock dyno sheet and see what the AF looks like. Might be some power to be had by adding some timing or leaning it out. But if the car is already 12.5:1 AF stock there might not be much room.
This is true, but the stock ECU has knock sensor protocols, which, if knock is "heard" from the knock sensor, it will retard ignition timing and follow a pre-set protocol to combat the knock. Eitherway, knock(detonation/pre-ignition) is not good and can lead to drastically less longetivity from the engine.

A 12.5:1 AFR is still a bit rich for a N/A engine, so long as ignition timing is optimal. (a common mis-practice is to advance ignition timing and drown out the knock with a extremly rich AFR.) This, is obviosuly not advised and useless for a N/A engine. An optimum AFR for this engine should actually be around the 13.5:1 range. Obviously, the mods done to the engine will factor into determining the actual AFR after correct dyno tuning.

Another very important factor that must be payed close attention to is the fact that the J32, as with the K20A(2) has a static compression ratio of 11.0:1. This is the reason you must not run anything less than 91 octane.

There is really alot involved here, it's not just one or two factors at play. It's very complex. It gets even more complex when you factor in forced induction. Forced induction is my specialty as i have alot of experience in this realm of boosting and tuning Honda engines and beyond.

CJ