AIT Modification Research

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014 | 08:00 AM
Instructor

AIT Modification Research

Hey guys,

I've been searching around and have come across a lot of good info from I_HATE_CARS on curing his engine surging by relocating his AIT sensor towards his air intake in order to get more accurate ambient air temperature readings. A mechanic friend of mine has 16 kilo ohm resistors that, when installed in place of the variable resistor, should cause the AIT sensor to read around -22F and thus pushing more fuel (maybe 1.08).

My main question is regarding long term buildup. I realize that these engines are designed to run lean in order to be economical, but other than somewhat of a MPG drop in the summer, what other side effects could I be looking at with this kind of modification? Would the gains here even be noticeable?

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Old 01-21-2014 | 08:15 AM
The Boss

I was running a relocated ait sensor in my aem v2 for part of the winter, my shifting got pretty rough. Not sure if your auto or manual but when my sensor saw around 20f the shifting was jerky.
The following users liked this post:
ntmera (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014 | 02:52 PM
Instructor

Interesting! I wonder if the ECU adjusts shift time based on readings from the AIT. Sounds like it...
Old 01-21-2014 | 05:26 PM
Mr. Detail

I think most automatics shift at a higher line pressure when cold to prevent slippage until the ATF warms up.
ntmera (01-22-2014)
Old 01-21-2014 | 10:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ntmera
Hey guys,

I've been searching around and have come across a lot of good info from I_HATE_CARS on curing his engine surging by relocating his AIT sensor towards his air intake in order to get more accurate ambient air temperature readings. A mechanic friend of mine has 16 kilo ohm resistors that, when installed in place of the variable resistor, should cause the AIT sensor to read around -22F and thus pushing more fuel (maybe 1.08).

My main question is regarding long term buildup. I realize that these engines are designed to run lean in order to be economical, but other than somewhat of a MPG drop in the summer, what other side effects could I be looking at with this kind of modification? Would the gains here even be noticeable?

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Altering the AIT sensor to read an incorrect value and make the ECM think it has a cooler intake air temp sounds like a bad idea to me.

Relocating it down the tube or insulating the intake it to keep it from heat soaking and keeping the intake air charge cooler sounds like a better idea while allowing the AIT to read an accurate value for the air temp.

Don't know how much it'd be worth though really, mine is in a 4" plastic UBI intake with a nylon bung located just down the tube in front of the throttle body. My readings show about 2 degrees above the air temp measured on the MID sometimes while driving on the highway and ranges from 6 to 12 or more degrees above the temp on the MID while idling or driving on the street.

I have a 9" filter on the end of the 4" intake though, and the nose of it extends right down to where the grille mesh is on the driver's side of the front bumper.

My ECM is also advancing the timing up to around 40 degrees sometimes if I watch it on torque.
Old 01-21-2014 | 10:35 PM
TLX-S

No issues with relocating the IAT sensor following this

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...age=3&t=803036
ntmera (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014 | 07:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mzilvar
Altering the AIT sensor to read an incorrect value and make the ECM think it has a cooler intake air temp sounds like a bad idea to me.

Relocating it down the tube or insulating the intake it to keep it from heat soaking and keeping the intake air charge cooler sounds like a better idea while allowing the AIT to read an accurate value for the air temp.

Don't know how much it'd be worth though really, mine is in a 4" plastic UBI intake with a nylon bung located just down the tube in front of the throttle body. My readings show about 2 degrees above the air temp measured on the MID sometimes while driving on the highway and ranges from 6 to 12 or more degrees above the temp on the MID while idling or driving on the street.

I have a 9" filter on the end of the 4" intake though, and the nose of it extends right down to where the grille mesh is on the driver's side of the front bumper.

My ECM is also advancing the timing up to around 40 degrees sometimes if I watch it on torque.
I'm unsure of the idea too. Mechanic/friend reasoned that the ECU is very economically tuned (obviously) - they run them pretty damn lean, and that running a bit more gas will only result in more power and less MPG's. The shifting issue for low temps comes to mind, but if the car believes the ATF is initially cold (when it's actually warm), I'd guess my car would just shift "carefully". That said, it's -10F out today and my car is shifting fine.

Wondering if anyone has tried this mod though. Anyone??

Maybe I'll be the guinea pig...
Old 01-30-2014 | 02:03 PM
Instructor

So I did this quick mod and can report an increase in throttle sensitivity. I'll mention that it did feel firmer when engaging the next gear (downshift or upshift), but this was so subtle it may be placebo.

Temps over the past week have been between -5F to 10F. I'm interested to see more results in this weather, but especially for the hotter temps.