AEM vs. INJEN Cold Air Intake - A retrospect

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:07 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I eventually decided on the AEM do to larger intake tubing size and optional IAT sensor location bung that is on the AEM (not a big deal on the IAT...but helps a very minor minor bit). At the time...K&N didnt even have a CAI intake out...just a short ram. Short ram pulls hot air so I did not go that way.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael, I want the CAI but I dont want my car sounding like a bumblebee. If I have the stock exhaust, how much of a noise can I expect from AEM vs. Injen? Ive heard Injen is quieter?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xtin
Michael, I want the CAI but I dont want my car sounding like a bumblebee. If I have the stock exhaust, how much of a noise can I expect from AEM vs. Injen? Ive heard Injen is quieter?
You wont get the bumblebee sound with a CAI, it will give a sucking sound at low RPM's, and then a rumble at WOT. They sound great(AEM and Injen).

Jason
Old 04-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
xtin - Black is right, you WILL NOT sound like a bumble bee (I find that funny for some reason...a bumble bee...reminds me of the many Civics in my neighborhood). The sucking/hissing sound is definitely there at low RPM's (kind of annoying to me, but you get used to it). It goes away once you're cruising ~30/35. Under WOT or at higher RPM's, it sounds awesome! It's a nice, deep growl...when you punch it to pass some moron, they'll know it...you're cruising along all quite, and then VROOOOOM (that's right Mike, vrooom, vroooom )...it's an intoxicating and addictive sound.

Also, the moving of the IAT sensor is pointless...all it does is cause you to suck gas. It basically causes you to run rich. I'd be willing to bet if someone dynoed the car with it in the TB and then with it in the CAI, the numbers would be the same. The only benefit is it makes the growl when you punch it louder (it does sound amazing), but your gas mileage will take a hit, depending on how you drive.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:35 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Yes...I have had em both on there....Injen is a bit quieter. BUT....I never have had them on there with a stock exhaust...so not sure how that sounds. We have an L-tuned exhaust on our other car...so I HAD to change the exhaust out to Comptech right away when I got the car.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:39 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
(that's right Mike, vrooom, vroooom )...it's an intoxicating and addictive sound.

Also, the moving of the IAT sensor is pointless...all it does is cause you to suck gas. It basically causes you to run rich. I'd be willing to bet if someone dynoed the car with it in the TB and then with it in the CAI, the numbers would be the same. The only benefit is it makes the growl when you punch it louder (it does sound amazing), but your gas mileage will take a hit, depending on how you drive.

Vrooom Vrooom......whats up with that stuff!!! (lol)

You are right Chilly.....while I did the IAT thing....it is little to nothing and I DO suck the gas like a mutha! Considered changing back around actually...but the whole thing will come off with supercharger...just waiting for the right time!!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Vrooom Vrooom......whats up with that stuff!!! (lol)

You are right Chilly.....while I did the IAT thing....it is little to nothing and I DO suck the gas like a mutha! Considered changing back around actually...but the whole thing will come off with supercharger...just waiting for the right time!!
I asked you once what the CT exhaust sounded like and your smart@$$ response was "vroooooom, vroooooom, vroooommmm" I found it pretty funny...

I moved mine back to the TB about a month after I put the intake on...I liked the louder sound with it on the CAI, but couldn't get past watching the gas needle drop just because I was passing somebody. Besides, it still sounds great with it on the TB.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:58 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I asked you once what the CT exhaust sounded like and your smart@$$ response was "vroooooom, vroooooom, vroooommmm"
I moved mine back to the TB about a month after I put the intake on...I liked the louder sound with it on the CAI, but couldn't get past watching the gas needle drop just because I was passing somebody. Besides, it still sounds great with it on the TB.
I said that? OMG! I was thinking the same thing...bet it will still sound just fine....
Old 04-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

I said that? OMG! I was thinking the same thing...bet it will still sound just fine....
Can someone describe this so called "sucking noise?" because Im getting some REALLY freaky mental pics right now.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I put my AEM in a couple of weeks ago and noticed my mpg go up. I just switched the sensor to the tube a couple of days ago and haven't noticed a change yet. (in anything)

I do agree the sound is intoxicating, but I haven't noticed any "sucking noise". Maybe its my lack of experience in that area????
Old 04-07-2006, 04:37 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Its like this....basic driving...I dont hear a thing...dont notice a thing sound wise as far as the "suck sound" - but open the window and get a little punchy when you are just sitting there....you will hear it swuuuuaaaap....and with the windows open you can hear it a little right between shifts on an auto when it goes between gears as the throttle slaps shut and open again. Its all good sound to me....?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:57 PM
10th Gear

Question Hey Mike

I want to order the system but do i have to worry about short ram and i guess long ram or is it standard? Which one is better? What's the best price I can get for one? Thanks
Old 04-07-2006, 06:20 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

I have little over a week with my Injen CAI. Sorry nothing to compare it to, but the intake sound when the throttle is wide open is incredible. It was explained to me that the Injen has a smaller tube hence more bang for your buck in the low end. Which is exactly where I want it, not in the top end.

Once again it's all personal choice, but I am totally satisfied.

UR pulley this Monday!!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Can someone describe this so called "sucking noise?" because Im getting some REALLY freaky mental pics right now.
To me, it sounds like one of those high frequency whistles that dogs don't like to hear. Just pucker your lips up like you're going in for a wet one and just suck in some air. That's pretty much what it sounds like.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:50 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I eventually decided on the AEM do to larger intake tubing size and optional IAT sensor location bung that is on the AEM (not a big deal on the IAT...but helps a very minor minor bit). At the time...K&N didnt even have a CAI intake out...just a short ram. Short ram pulls hot air so I did not go that way.

When did you install your intake? I could have sworn K&N was out early as well. I think I installed mine Nov 04-god I cant remember know, I think it was before I did my mufflers by a week or two (which was 11/04)

edit: Im not doubting you but really just trying to come to terms with the "my god has it been that long" factor
Old 04-09-2006, 12:38 AM
10th Gear

hey if i have an 06 tl, the one that fits on the 04-05 will fit mines?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by llaroco
I want to order the system but do i have to worry about short ram and i guess long ram or is it standard? Which one is better? What's the best price I can get for one? Thanks
SRI and CAI are the two types of intakes.......Just get a AEM,Injen or Fujita CAI...you will show the most performance from one of these(read this thread entirely please) the price for any of these apps. should be $190-$215 not counting shipping,installation....hope this answers your question
Old 04-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I picked up an injen last week and did the install yesterday. With all the helpful tips in this thread it took about 1 1/2 hours to intall. Most of the time was spent on taking out the stock intake. The install was alot easier than I expected. The hardest part was seperating the lower box from the bend once I drilled out the rivets

I do not notice any sucking sound at idle, very quiet. A little more growl as the RPMs go up and a freakin awsome sound when I open it up to pass somebody. Definitely more peppy. It feels as though the engine is breeathing easier, less restrictive. Which I guess it should.

xtin;
you should go for the injen, no bummblebee sound and very quiet.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:28 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by subinf
When did you install your intake? I could have sworn K&N was out early as well. I think I installed mine Nov 04-god I cant remember know, I think it was before I did my mufflers by a week or two (which was 11/04)

edit: Im not doubting you but really just trying to come to terms with the "my god has it been that long" factor
I know what you mean totally! So many mods...its hard to believe the ground that we've all covered together and pinning down exactly when you did what anymore, isnt it! I dont remember K&N having anything but the short ram what I was looking around....but I could be wrong? Didnt really look into it a whole lot.....I do remember the Fujita unit came out about 6 weeks or so after I put mine one....but who the heck knows !! Maybe K&N did have something I wasnt aware of?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:28 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by david nikguhwin
hey if i have an 06 tl, the one that fits on the 04-05 will fit mines?
yes....I do not believe that have changed anything that would cause it not to fit! Same motors!!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:30 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by King of Pain
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I picked up an injen last week and did the install yesterday. With all the helpful tips in this thread it took about 1 1/2 hours to intall. Most of the time was spent on taking out the stock intake. The install was alot easier than I expected. The hardest part was seperating the lower box from the bend once I drilled out the rivets

I do not notice any sucking sound at idle, very quiet. A little more growl as the RPMs go up and a freakin awsome sound when I open it up to pass somebody. Definitely more peppy. It feels as though the engine is breeathing easier, less restrictive. Which I guess it should.

xtin;
you should go for the injen, no bummblebee sound and very quiet.
Your right...getting that dang thing off after you drill that pop rivet IS the hardest part! I remember even stopping and going inside thinking dang...am I just gonna have to RIP that thing off....which is about what it takes to get em apart...doesnt it!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by llaroco
I would definately recommend the CAI versus the short ram....CAI gets colder more dense air in comparison to the short ram... The CAI takes air in from your inner lower drivers fender well (there is a small area right at the front corner of your car where there is a "boxed" area where this fits in and takes air right from your front lower grill area....the short ram intakes air from your engine compartment....so it is somewhat more heated air (not what you really want for the most part). Pricing....you can get an Injen for just over 200 and AEM comes in at just about 190-200 after freight. Back when I did the research....the Injen was more expensive for some reason.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Tint The Windshield

Arrow Pics Of Black Injen

Just a pic for ya'll that want to know what a black Injen pipe looked like in the 3G TL ...

I love it and wouldn't switch for the AEM personally. I haven't driven a TL with the AEM, but the Injen does the job for me. It's pretty quite when the windows are up ... but then windows are done ... it sounds like a G35 upfront. It's great. I had to get black so it'd match my car, etc.

Name:  422fab3a.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  69.4 KB
Name:  f856c7c9.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  50.3 KB
Old 05-21-2006, 07:33 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

^^wow...you have that bad boy really open dont you? Do you worry about the water getting in there in hard rain while you are driving?

...having actually driven/had each installed - I would recommend the AEM personally....but thats just my feeling?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Tint The Windshield

Nah, I'm not too worried about that. I have my other car for now to drive when it really poors hard. But even then ... as long as I stay back from like a crucial tire spray from the cars ahead of me ... then I'll be good. I think you would really have to lay into the throttle to have water sucked up that huge, long, curved pipe.

There's also this cover by Injen to protect it from the water! I might get it later during the winter or something ...

Injen Intake Cover for only $ 24 dollars!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AEM's dryflow filter naturally resists water absorbtion.....and it doesn't need to be oiled. That was the major reason I purchased the AEM. It also sounds wonderful in my opinion. Also it doesn't rain that much here in SoCal to worry that much about the water.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:48 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by lembowski
AEM's dryflow filter naturally resists water absorbtion.....and it doesn't need to be oiled. That was the major reason I purchased the AEM. It also sounds wonderful in my opinion. Also it doesn't rain that much here in SoCal to worry that much about the water.
Ya...I just switched out to a dryflow unit last month. Nice filters.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:03 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Noone has discussed the Fujita...

I purchased and installed the Fujita a few weeks back, and couldn't be more satisfied. The build quality is excellent, and the full polish is quite nice looking.
It comes with a fruity hat and duffel bag, marketing I guess.

Combined with my outlow engineering thermoblock spacers, I can totally feel the difference in ther ol' butt dyno.

There is a minor resonance in the lower rpm range, that quickly goes away above 2200 rpm... and the "whoosh" of the VTEC activating in the 4K rpm is kinda neat sounding, kinda like a turbo spooling up.

Either way, the noise is non offensive, install was a snap (pull th ebumper people... so much easier), and the gains are there... and it looks great!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Noone has discussed the Fujita...

I purchased and installed the Fujita a few weeks back, and couldn't be more satisfied. The build quality is excellent, and the full polish is quite nice looking.
It comes with a fruity hat and duffel bag, marketing I guess.

Combined with my outlow engineering thermoblock spacers, I can totally feel the difference in ther ol' butt dyno.

There is a minor resonance in the lower rpm range, that quickly goes away above 2200 rpm... and the "whoosh" of the VTEC activating in the 4K rpm is kinda neat sounding, kinda like a turbo spooling up.

Either way, the noise is non offensive, install was a snap (pull th ebumper people... so much easier), and the gains are there... and it looks great!
Thanks for the info; but the thread title is AEM vs Injen.....Fujita is not in the title anywhere. A good one for another thread...... Actually....Fujita and Injen are about the same thing.....he came from Injen. But again....we are not talking about Fujita here....just AEM and Injen. So...there was a good reason why you are not reading about Fujita here.....topic?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
MB, I was talking to my friend about a CAI for my 06 TL and he said he heard without a chip the computer doesn't know it's getting more air, or doesn't allow it. Something about a mass air sensor (I think). I saw in another thread that there are currently no performance chips worth a damn out there right now for our car. Anyway, I know lots of members here have CAI's, so I assume this is either false info or there is something on the CAI unit itself which compensates for this. I don't know much about CAI's and have been thinking on getting one. Have you heard of this before or did he just get some bogus info?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:43 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
MB, I was talking to my friend about a CAI for my 06 TL and he said he heard without a chip the computer doesn't know it's getting more air, or doesn't allow it. Something about a mass air sensor (I think). I saw in another thread that there are currently no performance chips worth a damn out there right now for our car. Anyway, I know lots of members here have CAI's, so I assume this is either false info or there is something on the CAI unit itself which compensates for this. I don't know much about CAI's and have been thinking on getting one. Have you heard of this before or did he just get some bogus info?
Not true on the TL. I can tell you from having done it...as many others can on here....it does make a difference. Your TL will automatically adjust.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Ryan Christopher

The TL does not use a MAS, that is something you will see on domestic cars and a few Imports. It is a sensor that is half way down the intake tube or behind the filter.
And yes if the car had one of those, it wouldn't want to except more air, BUT they dont. Honda uses two other sensors instead to determine air and timing. The O2 sensor on the exhaust is what is used to determine the amount of air, while the Intake Air Temp sensor is used to determine Timing, based on how dense the air is.

This is why it is very important on a Honda/Acura to have good working O2's, as they determine how much fuel is needed. When one is not functioning properly, your car will run rich.

IAT sensors rarely go bad, and this is the sensor most people create the "HP Chips" for. All they do is add resistance to the line to make the computer think the air is densor then it really is, in return, it advances the timing and you get a couple HP pickup.

You will fell a good difference with putting on either of the two intakes mentioned in this thread.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:56 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
The TL does not use a MAS, that is something you will see on domestic cars and a few Imports. It is a sensor that is half way down the intake tube or behind the filter.
And yes if the car had one of those, it wouldn't want to except more air, BUT they dont. Honda uses two other sensors instead to determine air and timing. The O2 sensor on the exhaust is what is used to determine the amount of air, while the Intake Air Temp sensor is used to determine Timing, based on how dense the air is.

This is why it is very important on a Honda/Acura to have good working O2's, as they determine how much fuel is needed. When one is not functioning properly, your car will run rich.

IAT sensors rarely go bad, and this is the sensor most people create the "HP Chips" for. All they do is add resistance to the line to make the computer think the air is densor then it really is, in return, it advances the timing and you get a couple HP pickup.

You will fell a good difference with putting on either of the two intakes mentioned in this thread.
OOOhh...now you are just gonna confuse him! lol! No.... seriously, good deal man....saved me the "book-write" when I got to work! You da man!!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Ryan Christopher

OOOhh...now you are just gonna confuse him! lol! No.... seriously, good deal man....saved me the "book-write" when I got to work! You da man!!
No Problem, for you, anytime. Jason
Old 05-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Black, I figured it had to be something like that as so many TL ers have them. I think when the time comes I'm going with the AEM. I'm a little worried about rain, does regular water buildup on the ground affect it? what about run off from drains etc; which can be around 1 inch of standing water on some roads around here?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:22 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Thanks Black, I figured it had to be something like that as so many TL ers have them. I think when the time comes I'm going with the AEM. I'm a little worried about rain, does regular water buildup on the ground affect it? what about run off from drains etc; which can be around 1 inch of standing water on some roads around here?
You will be ok! This is not a big issue...it can be if you often use your car as a boat....but for the normal life....you are all good! Basically....if you run though a deep puddle that submerges the intake...yep...you got probs....otherwise...you are ok!! Driven in driving rain on the highway with no problem whatsoever. Driven though normal occurances of puddles...no problem. The inlet is enclosed in your front fender/bumper area....so it really takes some doing teamed with a lot of carelessness to have a problem!!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Ryan Christopher

Puddles of that size really dont effect the CAI on the TL's. With the way it sits in the car, there is very little surface area from the cone of the filter exposed to the water. So unless you run through a small stream 6-8" of water, to where it comes up over the bottom half of the bumper, there should be no problems.

Water lock has been discussed quite a bit, but this is something that really doesn't happen very often. Proper driving habits will prevent this from happening.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

good to know Thanks guys
Old 06-19-2006, 08:04 PM
B A N N E D

do a group buy and im in.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by holybear
do a group buy and im in.
Check the sponsor section...they do group buy on these all the time!

Quick Reply: AEM vs. INJEN Cold Air Intake - A retrospect