AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/)
-   -   AEM vs. INJEN Cold Air Intake - A retrospect (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/aem-vs-injen-cold-air-intake-retrospect-583621/)

MichaelBenz 10-03-2005 12:26 PM

AEM vs. INJEN Cold Air Intake - A retrospect

Ok guys....heres the skinny (at least as far as my opinion goes) on the Cold Air Intake Systems offered by both Injen as well as AEM. Here's my story...I first got the Injen system as I could not for the life of me figure out why it was so much more expensive than the AEM system, so I figured I would "go the the premium model" as I often tend to do. Got the Injen unit installed and was happy. Then I read in here about how the AEM might be bigger tubing....then I read about how the AEM units have "snapped" and broken (still cant figure that one out)....,ect, ect. There is a little truth to almost everything out there.

#1 - the cost difference - I would say that the Injen unit is made somewhat better than the AEM unit, heavy polished tubing, and somewhat longer than the AEM unit resulting in a lower fit closer to the front grille. You must load the Injen unit from the bottom (wheel well) up as it is so long it will not fit if you try to go top down. The badging on the Injen unit is higher quality too, if that matters to you. The black rubber connection tubes are higher quality on the Injen unit than the AEM....but the AEM has better coolant hose relocation technique...they give you a longer tube to replace...not a splice-in peice like Injen does to just lengthen the existing....BUT...the Injen technique is much easier to install. (AEM gives you a replacement long tube and Injen gives you a nipple piece and a short hose extension with clamps..either way...it works both ways just fine)

#2 - the install difference - the AEM unit has a spot to relocate the oxygen sensor farther down the system, resulting in an additional small horsepower gain...and the Injen unit does not offer this option, retaining its CARB status. The AEM unit will install from the top down as it is somewhat shorter tubing by about 4-6 inches. The AEM unit completely replaces the small coolant line with a longer unit...and the Injen unit just has you lengthen the existing line with a nipple and short hose...either way works...I personally prefer the one peice longer tube though, less chance for leak with less connections. The AEM unit mounts the rubber vibro isolator on the top side under the hood with a bolt/nut that goes through the wheel well area where they have you remove a wire loom - and the Injen unit mounts the exact same type vibro mount lower in the wheel well area in an existing wire tap, where some of the main ground wires are...having you relocate them to a existing hole just like it about three inches away. (no biggie) AEM's was a bit easier as you did not have to relocate any wire grounds...just disconnect a wire loom from the inner wheel well. Both filters are located in the same general area....Injen just gets theirs a bit closer to the front grille area than AEM does, but both intakes seem to get plenty of air where they are. Not a huge difference here...but there is one. The tubing is also about 1/4 inch larger on the AEM unit than the Injen unit, resulting in different types of HP gains....see below.

#3-The test drive. AEM's is definately louder than the Injen unit and makes different power than the Injen unit. The AEM pulls WAY harder off the line than the Injen unit did (I assume because the bigger tubing?). I can actually spin my tires now and get a small burnout mark (on an Automatic yet!).....never did that with the Injen unit. BUT...it felt like the Injen unit made better midrange power right after it got up and going. Injen unit was definately louder than stock....but the AEM is louder than the Injen unit by about 15% or so....and the larger tubing makes a better more agressive sound....just more of what the Injen had. So all in all.....AEM performed better off the line.

#4-Bottom line-Both performed well....but I give the edge to AEM now that I have actually had both of them installed and ran them both on my car. I switched to AEM from the Injen unit due to the additional port for the relocation of the oxy sensor as well as the fact that the tubing is a bit bigger. I figured it had to make better power....and for cheaper too. I replaced the polished unit with the red anodized unit made by AEM....but would probably suggest to stay with the polished, unless you are particularly fruity about the red or blue color. I think the polished units have a more quality finish prone to better longevity and wear. Get the AEM unit if power is your goal....get the Injen unit if you are worried about tire wear or are looking for a good kick in the butt, but not necessarily tire spin type power. This one is definately personal preference. If you like raw dirty power...get the AEM....if you like mild....get the Injen.

legionofdoom 10-03-2005 12:46 PM

Very nice write-up. I'm currently on the fence as far as the AEM CAI...

-LOD

PoochaKannInc 10-03-2005 01:00 PM

Very nice write-up. Thanks. Now you are making me want the AEM.

MichaelBenz 10-03-2005 02:51 PM

Was driving back from lunch today.....lets put it this way....and I think this is pretty accurate.....>before it was better than stock....but now....it has all the air it needs for my specific setup with the larger exhaust, etc. Injen would probably rock like a mutha on stock exhaust...but the AEM provides that little extra bit of air flowthough with the Comptech exhaust installed compared to the Injen. With stock exhaust...maybe the Injen may be better? Dont know as I did the exhaust before intake. (either one)

TheAcAvenger 10-03-2005 03:26 PM

Perfect timing, I was just about to finally about to buy an intake. I was wondering if the Aem you're using was the V1 or the V2?

Teh Jatt 10-03-2005 04:36 PM

thanx, i'll be getting AEM :thumbsup:

MichaelBenz 10-03-2005 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
Perfect timing, I was just about to finally about to buy an intake. I was wondering if the Aem you're using was the V1 or the V2?

There is no V2 for the 2005 model year TL listed yet....I am using AEM part# 21-513.

JDM5lugHatch 10-03-2005 06:11 PM

Nice write up. Can't wait till my AEM comes in on Thursday. One thing I liked about the Injen over the AEM was the fact that it was available in a black powdercoated finish.

HEK 10-03-2005 07:42 PM

Hope to see pictures guys of your installations or final product, I have a red AEM and I'm dying top see another color besides mine and the polished SS....BTW Good choice... :thumbsup:

PiPsToRmPaY 10-04-2005 05:20 AM

Great write up~! I'll be saving for AEM~! NOw I really want one~

chill_dog 10-04-2005 08:48 AM

Yes, very good write up...makes me glad I got the AEM. Of course, mine's still sitting in the box as my lazy @$$ hasn't put it in yet. I wanted polished, but came across a good deal on a silver one...going to have to paint it black before I install it as I don't really like the silver.

MichaelBenz 10-04-2005 10:17 AM

I have not had time to get pics of the new one....and given I did such a write up, it would have been nice to team it with install pics...but honestly....when I am on the jazz and in the install mode....pics during the install are the last thing on my mind. I always thought it would be really cool to do that...but just not geeky enough to think about it when I am working on it. Well....now that I think about it...I guess I did think about it...and the added time it would take to mess with it (given I work alone for the most part) and quickly decided to move on. I do have a finish pic of the Injen...but prob already seen it and it is a top side pic only....

http://www.bellonsales.com/acurapics/acuratlcai-3.jpg

I will work on getting some of the AEM unit too.

Excelerate 10-04-2005 10:59 AM

Well I guess I will have to set up a GB for AEM Cold Air Intakes now. I already have one for the Injen but everyone wants AEM so PM me for prices and I will look into an AEM GB.

MichaelBenz 10-05-2005 10:55 AM

Damn I hate salespeople (one myself). Thanks for the commercial! :whyme:

MichaelBenz 10-10-2005 04:05 PM

I was just thinking last night about something else that I should have added here....

Wet Driving:

Injen: Never had a problem ever although the intake is somewhat lower and closer to the actual vent opening in the front bumper.

AEM: No problems whatsoever so far and dont expect any either.

BOTH: Dont drive through water more than two inches deep for the most part. And when you do....do so very carefully and drive slow as to NOT throw water into your fender wells! Just chill when it rains and drive with sense and dont tach it up above 2000-2500 to keep the suction factor down too! LET ME REPEAT THAT WATER HAS NEVER BEEN A FACTOR ON EITHER UNIT AND I HAVE TESTED BOTH IN RAINSTORMS. I think you have to really be asking for trouble (like driving through deep water) to have a water intake problem.

flvol77 10-10-2005 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I was just thinking last night about something else that I should have added here....

Wet Driving:

Injen: Never had a problem ever although the intake is somewhat lower and closer to the actual vent opening in the front bumper.

AEM: No problems whatsoever so far and dont expect any either.

BOTH: Dont drive through water more than two inches deep for the most part. And when you do....do so very carefully and drive slow as to NOT throw water into your fender wells! Just chill when it rains and drive with sense and dont tach it up above 2000-2500 to keep the suction factor down too! LET ME REPEAT THAT WATER HAS NEVER BEEN A FACTOR ON EITHER UNIT AND I HAVE TESTED BOTH IN RAINSTORMS. I think you have to really be asking for trouble (like driving through deep water) to have a water intake problem.

Drove home from Knoxville Tn to Vero beach, FL last weekend and it rained the entire trip because of TS Tammy and I had Zero Problems. I have the AEM CAI.

Ka0tik 10-10-2005 04:59 PM

is there a ride difference when you are not flooring your car (aem vs. injen vs. stock)?
is there a difference in feel when you are idling (again aem vs injen vs stock)?
what is the difference in mpg (aem vs injen vs stock)?
0-60 time differences and 1/4 mile time differences?

these would be very helpful

MichaelBenz 10-10-2005 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
is there a ride difference when you are not flooring your car (aem vs. injen vs. stock)?
is there a difference in feel when you are idling (again aem vs injen vs stock)?
what is the difference in mpg (aem vs injen vs stock)?
0-60 time differences and 1/4 mile time differences?

these would be very helpful

When not at WOT.....there isnt much difference. Difference of feel at idle? It is a little louder...that is about it. As for fuel economy.....not gonna make a difference there...other than your driving habits might because you are punching it more now! 1/4 mile time differences....not sure.....I am a "seat of the pants" street driver/tester and have never been out to time at the track....so I am clueless.....I am just giving you my feelings from the "cockpit"!

NFLblitze1 10-10-2005 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Well I guess I will have to set up a GB for AEM Cold Air Intakes now. I already have one for the Injen but everyone wants AEM so PM me for prices and I will look into an AEM GB.

THANK YOU!!!!! finally....do you think u can beat EBAY PRICES? if so.....youve got a sale!

Scribesoft 10-10-2005 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
THANK YOU!!!!! finally....do you think u can beat EBAY PRICES? if so.....youve got a sale!

Agreed. If so, you'll probably scarf up those of us who haven't already bought the AEM as customers. I'm assuming there's a good sized group of us in this forum alone who want, but don't have it yet.

Carson89X 10-11-2005 09:55 PM

The AEM sounds like it is for me.....somebody hook me up with a price b/c I got a fever!!

Just picked up a 99TL.....and already looking.....this will never end

NFLblitze1 10-11-2005 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Agreed. If so, you'll probably scarf up those of us who haven't already bought the AEM as customers. I'm assuming there's a good sized group of us in this forum alone who want, but don't have it yet.

i am pretty sure that there are atleast 20 people on this forum who would buy the AEM intake in a group buy if it was less than 190 shipped.....especially because it has such good feedback...and a good price

Ka0tik 10-11-2005 11:03 PM

oh and neither void warranty correct?

Donte99TL 10-12-2005 03:03 AM

Is either one of these smog legal?

Scribesoft 10-12-2005 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i am pretty sure that there are atleast 20 people on this forum who would buy the AEM intake in a group buy if it was less than 190 shipped.....especially because it has such good feedback...and a good price

Yup, "shipped" is the key word ..

MichaelBenz 10-12-2005 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
Is either one of these smog legal?

Yes....both are smog rated out of the box.

MichaelBenz 10-12-2005 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
oh and neither void warranty correct?

Actually...that subject has been beat to death on these boards. There is a law that states that the MFG must PROVE that the mod you did on the car actually caused the problem in question. Most dealers would tell you it is not a big deal....a matter of fact...I have even heard some dealers selling the parts?ie. Acura of Escondido, California on ebay> they sell right out the door too as these are all parts they stock.

I guess the basic answer to your question is no.

PyroPaul 10-13-2005 10:09 AM

So.... what's the deal with a group buy? Don't want to go FleaBay route if I don't need to.

JDM5lugHatch 10-13-2005 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by PyroPaul
So.... what's the deal with a group buy? Don't want to go FleaBay route if I don't need to.

If and when there is a group buy it will be in the " The Black Market" section of the forums. Oh and I got mine from ebay with no problems whats so ever for under $200 shipped to my door. Not to mention I bought from the same company previously with no problems on a very hard to find part at a ridiculously low price.

Scribesoft 10-13-2005 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
If and when there is a group buy it will be in the " The Black Market" section of the forums. Oh and I got mine from ebay with no problems whats so ever for under $200 shipped to my door. Not to mention I bought from the same company previously with no problems on a very hard to find part at a ridiculously low price.

Would you mind sharing the name of the company? If they're a good outfit, I'd like to see what they have.

PyroPaul 10-13-2005 11:25 AM

Would you mind sharing the name of the company? If they're a good outfit, I'd like to see what they have.

Beat me to the punch...

MichaelBenz 10-14-2005 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by PyroPaul

I am very proud to tell you that I built most my car from EBAY, good dealers there so long as you stick with the Acura dealers on there

:rockon:

PyroPaul 10-14-2005 12:39 PM

I am very proud to tell you that I built most my car from EBAY, good dealers there so long as you stick with the Acura dealers on there

:rockon:

Any one in particular you'd like to share?

chill_dog 10-14-2005 01:17 PM

A of E (Acura of Escondido).

MichaelBenz 10-17-2005 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by chill_dog
A of E (Acura of Escondido).

:agree:

Got most everything from them or Curry Acura (mostly A of E). Have another replacement set of 4 A-spec rims/tires coming this next week as I rashed one of mine very minorly...but cant stand that type of shit so I had to replace. Now I have an extra set of 4 for use in winter or when I take the car to the garage (to save the good ones so they dont screw em up). Also just bought an A-spec steering wheel from AofE.

JDM5lugHatch 10-17-2005 05:18 AM

Sorry I missed this some how. The company is kurumamotoring (ebaymotors).

MichaelBenz 10-17-2005 11:09 AM

Sorry I missed this some how. The company is kurumamotoring (ebaymotors).

:spam::hijack::finger::tantrum::troutslap:wtfsick:

JDM5lugHatch 10-17-2005 11:14 AM

:spam::hijack::finger::tantrum::troutslap:wtfsick:

They asked a question and I answered it. Grow the FUCK UP! :annoyed:

MichaelBenz 10-17-2005 11:32 AM

They asked a question and I answered it. Grow the FUCK UP! :annoyed:

LOL....GEEZ.....I was just messin with ya dude! I also got my AEM from the same vendor you did.....that or the Injen....cant remember....but, yes...you are right...they are a good vendor! A of E doesnt even sell these, only OEM Acura stuff and Comptech stuff.

Actually....I had thought you were this one dude that has been following me around smashing commercials everywhere soon as you mention a brand name he can sell.....which you are not.....and trust me....I am full grown! :thumbsup:

Excelerate 10-17-2005 11:47 AM

Guys, I'm working on some numbers right now for a GB.