AEM intake and fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:50 PM
I slow down for COPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AEM intake and fuel economy

I was searching other treads and cannot find the answer.

I love my TL, no performance mods. I only did the tint and clear bra (the bra, that is how I earn my living).

I wanted to get the AEM CAI, but didn't know how it will effect my fuel economy. I never had a cold air intake on any of my cars. It would seem to me that it would make the fuel economy better, but then I read somewhere that it would make if worse. Or, would it only make it worse if I would move the sensor (the extra step) that people are writing about during installation.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Sorry, if it was already covered, but I cannot find it.

Thanks, Mark.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

your car already has a CAI.
save your $$, buy more taco bell
Old 04-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a AEM cold air intake on my Accord. I was told that the fuel economy would increase, but it actually decreased. And I also had a problem with the idle rpm being really low. maybe its different for the TL.. i dunno..
Old 04-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The TL does not have a cold air intake, contrary to their advertisements. A cold air intake takes in its air supply from outside of the engine compartment. Our stock intakes take in air from inside the engine compartment. The opening to the intake is in front of the battery, under a protective cover. Trace the diagram in the Service Manual then locate it for yourself and you'll see.

The biggest problem with CAI's is actually two: 1) the "chance" of water instrusion, and; 2) they tend to produce a slight drop in low and mid-range torque.

A short, straight WAI, on the other had has neither of these problems. But on many (most?) cars, they will draw in warmer air than a CAI which can offset their power benefits.

As for fuel economy, on my last car (a 2002 Altima SE), I installed a Frankencar intake with the Apexi filter. It was a warm air intake, short and straight with a smooth midpipe. But on the Altima, the area where the intake and filter was situated was actually quite cool.. ambient with the outside air. Horsepower and torque gains were noticable and my gas mileage increased. I suspect when people say that their fuel economy went down, it's because they are getting into it more.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:59 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I have the k&n intake on my TL and noticed no change in mpg. I have made several trips down to la from the bay area before and after the cai install. on all the trips the mpg averaged a little over 30. intake didnt seem to make a difference one way or another.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will find lots of commentary on CAI both pro and con. I have been waiting to see a well-structured 3d party dyno test, but so far none has been available. Maybe someday such an evaluation will be conducted and published.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
The TL does not have a cold air intake, contrary to their advertisements. A cold air intake takes in its air supply from outside of the engine compartment. Our stock intakes take in air from inside the engine compartment. The opening to the intake is in front of the battery, under a protective cover. Trace the diagram in the Service Manual then locate it for yourself and you'll see.

The biggest problem with CAI's is actually two: 1) the "chance" of water instrusion, and; 2) they tend to produce a slight drop in low and mid-range torque.

A short, straight WAI, on the other had has neither of these problems. But on many (most?) cars, they will draw in warmer air than a CAI which can offset their power benefits.

As for fuel economy, on my last car (a 2002 Altima SE), I installed a Frankencar intake with the Apexi filter. It was a warm air intake, short and straight with a smooth midpipe. But on the Altima, the area where the intake and filter was situated was actually quite cool.. ambient with the outside air. Horsepower and torque gains were noticable and my gas mileage increased. I suspect when people say that their fuel economy went down, it's because they are getting into it more.

ok, for everyone else here, look again. the part near the battery is a junction point that allows it to suck some air from the compartment for faster cold warm-ups. while driving the downtube that exits low on left side bumber will flood that junction with cold air.

did i say OEM CAI, i'm sorry, i meant to say OEM CAI.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Powered by Guinness

Here's what Acura has to say about the TL "cold air induction system":

Cool air is denser than hot air and allows an engine to make more power by packing more oxygen per given volume. To capitalize on this, the TL has a special cold-air induction system as standard equipment. Ambient air is picked up, through an inlet in the left front fascia, and fed by a duct to the engine air intake. Depending on vehicle speed, this system supplies the engine with ambient air that is up to 8 degrees Celsius (15 degrees Fahrenheit) cooler than typical engine compartment air.

At speed the inlet will be fed cold air from the bumper inlet. Perhaps not as ideal as an aftermarket CAI, but on a positive note it does eliminate concerns about water ingestion and filter maintenance is so much easier.

I picked up 7hp with an Injen and did not see mileage improve. I went back to stock and have never missed the noise or the hp.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Then I stand corrected.. thank you, gentleman for the good explanation.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RacialSlurs
ok, for everyone else here, look again. the part near the battery is a junction point that allows it to suck some air from the compartment for faster cold warm-ups. while driving the downtube that exits low on left side bumber will flood that junction with cold air.

did i say OEM CAI, i'm sorry, i meant to say OEM CAI.
im confused
Old 04-19-2005, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Aegir

I picked up 7hp with an Injen and did not see mileage improve. I went back to stock and have never missed the noise or the hp.
why did you go back to stock?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
im confused
you're confused because you're being fed in-accurate information, i see this all over this forum. AZ is cool and all, but simply put there are other places to get better info about 3G TL's.

i was 100% correct about the OEM CAI, hence i was being a tad sarcastic when i said "did i say OEM CAI, i'm sorry, i meant to say OEM CAI."

no disrespect to SouthernBoy, but his # of posts obviously does not reflect his knowledge about the 3G TL.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:30 AM
I slow down for COPS

you're confused because you're being fed in-accurate information, i see this all over this forum. AZ is cool and all, but simply put there are other places to get better info about 3G TL's.
What are those places?
Old 04-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
What are those places?
other Acura forum sites. if i name them the mods here will either kill this thread or edit my post, mod nuggets being puppeted by admins. all i can say is to Yahoo up "Acura Forums" and you'll find them in the 1st 10 listings.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:12 AM

i was 100% correct about the OEM CAI, hence i was being a tad sarcastic when i said "did i say OEM CAI, i'm sorry, i meant to say OEM CAI."

no disrespect to SouthernBoy, but his # of posts obviously does not reflect his knowledge about the 3G TL.
no no no no no

i too do not beleive that the car has a CAI. have you looked into it? I changed mine out after i looked at what the actual system is.

lemme work it backwards from the engine itself

engine > intake pipe > resonator box near the bumper > tube towards the engine bay pointing up > tube next to the battery

CAI would be the filter being in the bumper itself so that its contact with engine heat is minimal. the OEM intake's inlet is right next to the battery..... in the engine bay. even worse is that that whole section is covered with plastic to make it look neater. the air from the front top of the bumper goes right over that.

Acura may claim that is it a CAI, but its not.

and its a well designed OEM system, so do not look for gains seen in other vehicles. but bottom line is that it is not a true CAI
Old 04-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Banned

if it gets air from outside the engine bay then it falls into the CAI category. yes yes yes yes, its a CAI.

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
no no no no no

i too do not beleive that the car has a CAI. have you looked into it? I changed mine out after i looked at what the actual system is.

lemme work it backwards from the engine itself

engine > intake pipe > resonator box near the bumper > tube towards the engine bay pointing up > tube next to the battery

CAI would be the filter being in the bumper itself so that its contact with engine heat is minimal. the OEM intake's inlet is right next to the battery..... in the engine bay. even worse is that that whole section is covered with plastic to make it look neater. the air from the front top of the bumper goes right over that.

Acura may claim that is it a CAI, but its not.

and its a well designed OEM system, so do not look for gains seen in other vehicles. but bottom line is that it is not a true CAI
Old 04-19-2005, 04:02 AM
Banned

looks like a CAI too

Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

my fuel economy is practially the same, but I love the sound of my AEM CAI. It has this distinct roar when I press the gas pedal hard, where I can't get from stock intake. That's good enough for me and since I got it, I never looked back. The stock intake looks ugly.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
RacialSlurs (attitude aside) is correct, we do have a CAI and Acura says so. Can we leave it at that, please?

I just wanted to comment on the K & N filter comment above. I had a slight improvement in mileage when I had it in my 2G TL. I didn't feel it was enough of an improvement to repeat the experience in my 3G TL.

Aegir, I want to know, too, why you went back to stock? May be educational for the rest of us.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Gratis dictum

Certainly RacialSlurs is correct. He's a bit less subtle than some of us, however. Our TLs do have a CAI which is pretty effective, and there probably are no gains in BHP or mileage by adding an aftermarket device other than the increased noise factor. I reiterate, we have yet to see any posts where definative tests conclusively demonstrate that these gadgets have any benefit other than to the manufacturer.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

I'm sorry, but I have to weigh in on this again. If the end of the stock intake opening which resides right next to the battery under the plastic cover is the sole supplier of air under all conditions, then this is not a cold air intake because that opening is within the confines of the engine compartment which, by definition, constitutes a warm air intake. If this opening were in front of or under the radiator, you would have a CAI.

If, on the other hand as RacialSlurs explained earlier (as I think I understand his explanation), there is a secondary air supply into this intake stream (another opening within the fender well), than you would indeed have a cold air intake.. more specifically you would have a dual WAI/CAI unit.

As for his remark, "but his # of posts obviously does not reflect his knowledge about the 3G TL", granted, I know more about some American machinery and the Altima V6, but hey.. I'm learning just like the rest of us.

I'm not going to tear my inner wheel liner out to find out for sure. I welcome corrections and any thoughts from someone who has, though.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Gratis dictum

Good post, Southernboy. I think your second paragraph nailed it. Warm air is ingested when the car is stationary, which is probably good for starting especially in cold weather. When the car is moving forward, most if not all of the air comes from the bumper area through the ducting. I think this is a novel and effective approach and the Acura engineers should get an "atta boy".
Old 04-19-2005, 04:42 PM
I slow down for COPS

I would like to hear the extra noise/ roar with the AEM to see if it is worth to me.

It seems like there is noone in this area w/ moded TL.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you just want the noise, dont you get the same results with just removing the resonator???
Old 04-19-2005, 06:13 PM