Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts

The left bumper/taillight gap is fine on the left.

Bumper/taillight gap on the right is stretched from the impact.

Measuring from the back of the trunk to the rear bumper on the left side of the TL Sport we get 37.75”

Measuring from the back of the trunk to the rear bumper on the right side of the TL Sport we get 37.50” That’s .25” of forward movement from the impact on the right side.

Left side plastic button in the interior of the trunk is flat.

Right side plastic button in the right rear of the trunk has been disfigured.

Here is the impact on the crash bar on the right side of the rear bumper. It seems the driver was backing out to the right side when hitting an hard immobile surface like a parking garage wall in line with the bumper at low speed.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

I gave @truonghthe much grief about this, but I believe him when he told me he didn’t know the extent of the damage and didn’t investigate it during his ownership of the 6MT.

Besides the TL Sport needing a mending rack, rear main seal, and (by my own choice) oem coils, this is a very well kept and solid car.

Small things like the cup holder lid broken, passenger seat rear lower clips need to be replaced, but that is expected on a 15 year old car.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:57 PM
Safety Car

How do you tell a Function over Form guy from a Form over Function guy?

The Form over Function will use the new looking nuts that came with a set of aftermarket Coils because it looks fresh in the engine bay.

Function over Form guy will use the Old looking OEM nuts because they have more surface area coverage.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:09 PM
Safety Car

Before

After

The car came from a dry/hot climate. Therefore all rubbers were greased.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

Took the M90 out this late afternoon. Perfect PNW weather. It drives so well.

When people gawk at the M90, im not sure if its all the beat-upedness of the car, or the S/C, but either way I want them to hear the sweet sound of the M90 on a TL with ATLP exhaust. If only I could even blip it a hair. But alas, can change m own gears, can modulate the throttle.

Looking to convert it to 6MT!

That way I can have the cake And eat it!

Old 05-14-2021, 10:47 PM
Safety Car

The 5AT TL is great for cruising particularly when stock, but with some modifications are performed, it hinders, hampers and limits the sound, ability and drivability of this smooth machine when trying to do spirited driving.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-14-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

When selling the 2005 6MT, @truonghthe told me it was the cleanest clutch fluid in town, and it looked quite fresh indeed, I was happy for it. When I drove the car home I noticed the slave clutch cylinder was also fresh. I know some guys buy a new slave and do the Clutch Valve Delete, but it wasn’t performed. This was not mentioned to me at any point, or that the slave clutch was fixed, minor overlook, it happens.
This typically happens when an owner was looking for a way to fix a specific problem.

When driving the car home from Texas, every time I got anywhere near redline at WOT the succeeding clutch depression would be very tight, the second one would be almost normal, and third was normal. It’s as though there’s something stuck in the system and it takes a pedal depression to alleviate it.

I could be the clutch valve itself. I will soon do a clutch valve delete and see if that helps. Anyone know why the pedal would only get stiff following a redline WOT pull, and not any other time?
Old 05-15-2021, 02:15 PM
Safety Car

So appreciative to be blessed enough to daily drive one of these! Truong said that the navi doesn’t work right m, and I noticed the error when I was at his home. Fingers crossed, the navi error has not popped up since!
Old 05-15-2021, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Working Navi unit in the M90 TL. Wife’s MRP is has not been functioning since before we purchased it.

I just realized that Acura didn’t paint the trunk area of the 2007-2008 Base models. But fully painted the Type-S models.

At first I thought the sound deadening was missing. But it was just painted over from the factory. Looks nice?

There is a slow to put some memory device or something under the DVD tray.

My 2008 base M90 was 241 units before the last 3G came off the assembly line. So it’s made in April 2008. The 2007 Type-S was early 207, so my navi unit was made in October 2006.

This is what it looks like driving around, not very pleasant.

Navi works great now!
Old 05-15-2021, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

Wondering where to put the 3G 64gb Tesla screen. M90 will be non-navi someday, so perhaps there.

It would look great in the Turbo type-S though. My kid works at cartoys while he’s going to Uni full time, perhaps I’ll have him take car of the install.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:00 PM
Safety Car

The person that “souped up” the TL Sport I bought from Truong rolled the fenders. Piece of work it is.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-16-2021 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:28 PM
Safety Car

I created this splitter because there wasn’t anything in my toolbox for splitting the receiving fork on the on the lower part of the rear coils. I put it in the fork and used a 12mm wrench to split.

These Konis have at least 100,000 miles on them. They all squeak and seem bottomed out yet bounce on corners. The numbskulls that installed them on the TL Sport didn’t put spacers on this portion of the rear coil, so the fork was squished together from 50mm to 47.3mm. That was because the fork was pulled together by 5mm to hold the trashy Koni struts.

The stock TL coil is 50mm, as is the space between the fork.

It felt a bit sketch doing this, but it had to be done. This car is in rough shape to say the least. I rotated the tires after this install and noticed there is a 25-30% difference between the front and rear tires.

To allow the OEM coils to fit back into the fork I had to over shoot the forks 50mm space by 3.5mm. This way when I removed my splitter contraption it would recoil back to about 50mm. A labor of love this car is.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-16-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:04 AM
Safety Car

It seems the elbowrests on my 2005 are softer than my 08’ base and Type-S’. I wonder if there indeed was better material/thicker cushion in the UA6 vs. the UA7?

The center console armrests are all cinderblocks.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura TL Builder
It seems the elbowrests on my 2005 are softer than my 08’ base and Type-S’. I wonder if there indeed was better material/thicker cushion in the UA6 vs. the UA7?

The center console armrests are all cinderblocks.

I had to disassemble the automatic CL-S project car elbow rest and 'refoam' it for that reason.
Killed two birds with one stone when I installed the six speed E-brake handle to increase convenient functionality:
After:

Before:

See how flat & hard the elbow rest looks?

Last edited by zeta; 05-17-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

It looks plush after! Do you have a link to your work? What kind of material did you use and why?
Old 05-17-2021, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

^
Here is the thread I followed, back in the day, when I did the arm rest in my CL-S6. The pictures are gone, though.

DIY: Flaccid Armrest Cushion Replacement - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Just be careful of the deteriorated foam rubber underneath the leather. It's likely turned into a 'tar' like substance and will get all over the place, if you are not careful.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 08:48 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Zeta! To save time, ill do this on all the TLs at the same time.

Going to change the Cluch/flywheel, Rear main seal(and the little o-ring) on the TL Sport this weekend. Going to replace it with LuK clutch parts(Thanks @DMZ !) and OEM seals.

The car is leaking oil out of the seal something fierce. Burnt oil smells are giving me a headache when I drive, and spilling onto the new ATLP J-Pipe. Though people give me plenty of space behind me, so thats a plus!

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-17-2021 at 08:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
DMZ (05-18-2021), zeta (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 08:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zeta

I had to disassemble the automatic CL-S project car elbow rest and 'refoam' it for that reason.
Killed two birds with one stone when I installed the six speed E-brake handle to increase convenient functionality:
After:

Before:

See how flat & hard the elbow rest looks?
Just realized you added an Ebrake to your CL-S. Did it have a foot E-brake before?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks Zeta! To save time, ill do this on all the TLs at the same time.

Going to change the Cluch/flywheel, Rear main seal(and the little o-ring) on the TL Sport this weekend. Going to replace it with LuK clutch parts(Thanks @DMZ !) and OEM seals.

The car is leaking oil out of the seal something fierce. Burnt oil smells are giving me a headache when I drive, and spilling onto the new ATLP J-Pipe. Though people give me plenty of space behind me, so thats a plus!
Make sure to take lots of pictures.
Are you going to use the Brotha method this time as well?

Just realized you added an Ebrake to your CL-S. Did it have a foot E-brake before?
Yes, the pictures show the interior of my Anthracite Metallic automatic CL-S project car with black interior.
I could not stand that bloody foot E-brake any longer after being spoiled with my CL-S6. That car is San Marino Red with parchment interior.
So, I was able to find a salvage yard in Kentucky that had a CL-S6 E-Brake handle and the rest is history, as they say. I purchased the cup holder on ebay.
IMHO, the automatic cars should have come from the factory with the E-Brake on the mid-console.

Last edited by zeta; 05-17-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Yes Sir! Brother method it will be! Its so much easier and less work that way.

This weekend I'm going to my local Junkyard to see if I can score some loot. The TL Sport Has a broken top center console lid(just infront of the shifter). Back seat lower cushion locking clips were both busted from whoever didnt know how to remove them while installing the aftermarket bluetooth kit. The cup holder cover is kaput. All of the window seals(weatherstrips) are ruined(letting water inside the doors), so I will see if cheap OEM replacements can be found.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to just design it all one way or the other? Foot E-brakes in sedans are odd, Iimagine them in bring on an SUV or large passenger van.
Do you have a thread with your CL-S? the san marino red with parchment is a nice combo

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-17-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

This weekend I'm going to my local Junkyard to see if I can score some loot. The TL Sport Has a broken top center console lid(just infront of the shifter). Back seat lower cushion locking clips were both busted from whoever didnt know how to remove them while installing the aftermarket bluetooth kit. The cup holder cover is kaput. All of the window seals(weatherstrips) are ruined(letting water inside the doors), so I will see if cheap OEM replacements can be found.
Good Luck!
The local salvage yards have been my 'friend' for years, and have saved me big $$! The effort is worth it. If you have an LKQ nearby, check their website. They post pictures of the cars so that you can get an idea of their condition before you go.
Just be careful of the 'characters' that work there, they can be sketchy.

Wouldnt it be cheaper to just design it all one way or the other? Foot E-brakes in sedans are odd, Iimagine them in bring on an SUV or large passenger van.
Do you have a thread with your CL-S? the san marino red with parchment is a nice combo
No. I did not post as much, back in the day, so I never got around to it. The recent thread below is about the extent of showing any part of my car, which was very little.

I made that thread, when I put the project car S/C'er kit up for sale, to show those who were intimidated by the buried battery location and the ability to get at it without removing the blower.

Battery Change: Supercharged CL-S 6MT - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Old 05-18-2021, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

We have a couple LKQs here, but they stopped allowing people to pick their own parts when LKQ took over ‘Foster auto parts’. This made all the parts more expensive.

We have another junkyard locally that allows you to pick you own parts, and the fellas their are rather sketchy looking. What kind of sketchy things should I look out for? Might they upcharge me?

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-18-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:26 AM
Suzuka Master

We have another junkyard locally that allows you to pick you own parts, and the fellas their are rather sketchy looking. What kind of sketchy things should I look out for? Might they upcharge me?
Just make sure to secure your vehicle in the parking lot.
Carry something defensive in your tool bag that you can utilize should a 'pitbull' run up on you, if you know what I mean?
Also, if your local junkyard has a website, check it out. They may have a 'parts prices' break down page to help with cost determination.
The only in your face 'racket' that I noticed, over the years, is that they may apply an annoying 'core' charge, to pad their margin, on certain parts knowing that you probably won't make the effort / drive to return said core part; thus, increasing profit. No biggie.

Check one of the LKQ yard websites in California to see what I mean about the parts price break down page:
Auto Parts Prices | LKQ Pick Your Part - Bakersfield

Acura TL Builder (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Zeta! I didn’t know the prices were so good! Going to see what I can score this weekend.

Because you mentioned it, I will bring something, though, Pitbulls divert their eyes when I look back at them.

I try to dress for the occasion, so I’ll be looking like a junkyard mechanic who just rolled out from under a car in the mud. Fit right in

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-18-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Classical music plays onto the ASPEC parts.
Slpr04UA6 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Had the pleasure of dismantling one of the first TLs to ever be created this Saturday! Was a fascinating experience which taught me a great deal about disassembling the 3G! Junkyard are special places and I felt a sort of zen taking this apart. You carefully remove the parts in a respect for what the being is and the life it has served. its similar to when someone donates thier body and you remove thier organs. Its an undescribable experience that you know is going to help many other people(TLs).

Brought home one of two hauls. Most of this stuff was free and is going to directly replace failing parts.

This one cap is $110 on Acurapartsnow.com. ...Free

My 1998 Accord 5MT heater electrical control unit is intermittent, and I have tried all I can to fix it but its a chip issue. So I got a replacement. ..Free

Sensors, bolts and a Faux CF interrior. ...Free

I now have a jar of OEM Acura/Honda Bolts and Fuses. ..Free

The only items I was charged for were New(Yes new) Alternator(Just in case), 04-06' Aluminum intake manifold(for complete the M90 S/C kits), and the 04-05' Front Grill.

I was going to go get a few pairs of Intake Runners for $15 a set to day, but need rest and 3G research(and visit family).

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-23-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

^
Is that your spoils from the salvage yard?
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
Acura TL Builder (05-23-2021), csmeance (05-24-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

Yes Sir! I got more items on the second run, but didnt take pictures.

I love the Junkyard! I will not keep an eye out for incoming TLs to disassemble the goods from in the future!

I was jokingly going to take a pic of my philips screwdriver as my pitbull keeper-backer. But there was a guy that came up to me asking for my keeper-backer phillips, so I loaned it to him. ..Twice

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-23-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Old 05-23-2021, 11:27 PM
Safety Car

Looking at those pics, my garage is filthy! Gotta do something about that.

Though Ive got lots of plumbing work to do at a new resteraunt in Seattle these next two weeks. Builder is paying same wages for the drive + food. Thats 5 hours of pay per day just to drive. Should I rack miles on the 05' 6mt, or take the 98' 5mt Accord? They both have the same mileage.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

Bought these off a tip from @rockstar143 more than a year ago. Was so pleased to get it! Thanks Jeremy!

Took my time to install it in the Turbo TL-S. It’s black/black so I figured a perfect fit. Haven’t sat in this car since I took it apart the autumn of 2019. Forget I have this treasure sometimes. Will be so rewarding when it’s running again!

(Those are reflections on the right side, not scratches)

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-25-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:58 AM
Safety Car

New Charcoal TL mats arrived today! They looking good in the 6MT Sport TL.

Picked up the second front ASPEC lip from @Tyrone503 today! Thanks man!
Forgot to bring him the 3rd brake light I got him from the junkyard last weekend.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

I saw an ad for a parts Type-S online and though the seats and door cars were a good deal. Upon getting to his RV on a plot of land, I saw that the interior in this Texas car was quite more warm than I saw in the photos. It smelled like cigarettes and some other musty odor inside. I was about to leave and he asked if I wanted the engine. He started it up and even though there was only a J-pipe on it sounded healthy. We made a deal.

He told me some about his life and then showed me his ankle piece. I began working faster to get the hell outta there ASAP. He was nice though.

After much respectful removal of this well used Type-S, we began removing the engine/tranny together.

I came back to thank the TL for its service and the offering of its powerplant.

We carefully loaded the engine into the MDX. I used some split wood to prop of the corners so the engine wouldn’t tip during transport.

The road home made me a bit nervous as one wrong move meant the interior of my wife’s car would be ruined. Thankfully everything went well and the car didn’t get a smudge in it.

I was happy to see a full J35A8 with engine mounts and ECU in my garage. This 2007 Type-S has 147k miles on it.

Needs cam seals and front valve cover seal but that’s normal to have on a car coming from a hot/dry environment like Texas.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-29-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

This engine will get the fully built J32a2 heads that are currently awaiting with benchflow in Florida.

The 6MT will be mated it and then the Rotrex to boost it. After all the gremlins are worked out the Mid-engine stage will commence. This won’t be for a year.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-29-2021 at 11:49 PM.
TLRoadto300k (05-31-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

Sport 6MT has a loose seat backing where the two plastic clips at the bottom broke. If you have this issue you can use your hands to reach back there, but don’t try to unclip the two broken clips, it won’t happen. Just use a small drill and tap them out. I got two clips for free at the junkyard.

The drilled clips up top should look like this.

Place the clips into the correct position and snap the seat backing into place.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Going to have a blast getting to know this car.

Had to do the ol’ TL Tetris to get the Sport TL into the garage.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:51 AM
Safety Car

Installed ATLP J-pipe and Test pipe. Its a bit raspy with the mid muffler delete so I may throuw on the stock cat after the Comptech is Tuned.

P2R EGR Valve delete. This will keep my engine and Intake Manifold clean as well as allow the coolant pipe to not be kinked(like on the other silver TL) with the Comptech installed.

RV6 PCDs installed!

Deleted the OEM Airbox as well. Its extra weight up front.

The bolt goign through the side mount was tighted too much when the mount was replaced. Experts.

@truonghthe was kind enough to give me the replacement when I purchased the car.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-03-2021 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:01 AM
Safety Car

This Battery will be relocated to behind the front passenger seat and towards the middle. This will shift the 40 lbs battery from far in front of the front axle to the floor in the center of the car. since the entire comptech setup including the aluminum intake is 39.138 lbs. This means the front will be lighter than stock.

I was surprised to learn that the Comptech S/C weighs less than the battery!

This was not all of the removed OEM parts weighed but it amounted to 10.4lbs of forward of the front axle weight removed.

The Aluminum 04-06' TL Intake Manifold weigh 5.4lbs less than the 07-08 Magnesium ones. This is a lot of saving for the TLs top front weight which will be felt in corners. The M90 mounted with this thing, you can feel the weight a bit..

This I/M is going onto the Sport TL.

The front and rear mounts were completely shot. Fortunately I have good condition OEM ones in my Parts storage.

In total there is a saving of 25.138 pounds of weight saved from the front of the TL With the Comptech installed! Time to whine your engine!(Scotty kilmor)

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-03-2021 at 02:12 AM.
TLRoadto300k (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 02:15 AM
Safety Car

Fellas, I was shocked when I cracked this tranny. There is oil EVERYWHERE except for the clutch. The input shaft is dry as a bone, the bearing looks original and has no Honda Urea grease on it.

Unlike the 07-08 Te-S 6MT, you dont need to remove the front mount support bracket to access the special bolt that comes into the tranny from the block side.

Not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but the pressure plate has a minimum of 3mm of play in it. it is freely wobbling. Is this normal?

When removing the tranny I noticed the bolt nearest to the clutch slave cylinder was missing... I thought "why would they remove the bolt when they were only replacing the clutch slave cylinder with a knock off ebay one"?

After removing the tranny I realized the didnt remove it, they snapped it! Looks like this trannys clutch was replaced. Perhaps due to the oil getting onto the clutch disk, or it was time, either way, they didnt replace the rear main seal!!

Anytime I remove bolts, I make a template of each bolt so its accounted for and goes into the exact hole it came out of.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 06-03-2021 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:27 AM
Safety Car

Alright fellas, no more messing around. It’s time to do the real part of the surgery.
The following 3 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
csmeance (06-03-2021), TLRoadto300k (06-03-2021), zeta (06-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Acura TL Builder's Ultimate Boost Thread