'08 TL-S Steering rack in Base 04 TL Auto.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
The steering really isn't as bad as everyone is saying, then again I don't remember how my car handled stock...but it really isn't THAT bad. Its still firmer than the Lexus IS350 I test drove, and after driving a loaner 09 Altima 2.5S for 3 weeks, I can safely say you can't even begin to compare the two. Get into and Lexus or Mercedes, then talk about numb steering I swear, it felt like there was nothing attached to the steering wheel in the IS i drove, kind of like those wheels they used to have at playgrounds.

With that being said, there is still room for improvment. I might try this mod out....but that damn PS pump is $265 alone! The steering column is $209...I wonder if you have to install the radiator with the PS pump...
Try looking here for the Steering Rack and Pump www.car-part.com and see if you can find the parts there for the 3.5L 07/08 TL-S. Na you don't have to Install the PS Cooler I didn't.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...NG_COLUMN_ASSY.

Is that it?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anarchy919
Also on a side note I also put in the 08 TL-S power Steering pump but you don't need it. I did it couse over 3250RPM's it cuts back flow to make the Steering harder at higher speeds.

But if you can't find a TL-s rack at a good price I still have my Base Rack you can have for $100+Ship
Is there any pictures of your rack? Are they in excellent conditions? How many miles are on it? Thank you.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
No...

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

You need pretty much the entire picture... If yo buy used, they ship the entire picture. Here's one on ebay (for a 2004, probably the OP's OE rack)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Instructor

I like this mod. I'm not a huge fan of the looseness with the base at higher cornering speeds. I'll be on the lookout for a crashed Tl-s maybe save a little bit of money but having to buy new is not bad at all either.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I love my TL-S steering..except when I have to park in very very tight spots... @ 0mph it's a bit annoying...

But on spirited driving, especially highway.. The response is excellent, plus I can safely let go off my wheel..and even when the car hits a bump..the steering wheel will remain in its position.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Instructor

It's a good and cheep Mod for a base TL if you can find the parts used. I love it the feel is just what I was looking for in my Base Auto. Hope it helps many of you.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
Must have mod!

I can vouch 100% for Anarchy919......everything he has claimed about this mod is absolutely and unequivockly true.

I met Anarchy919 today in Orlando for the first time. I have a 2004 6MT which i drove to our meet and then a little while later he graciously let me drive his car around for a bit. The difference is NIGHT and DAY! A must have! I am already working on gathering the money for this ASAP.....the earlier the better....gotta do it!

Thx bro....great idea.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Instructor

You got it Buddy anything I can do to help just let me know.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:22 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Bringing this thread back to life...
Used TL-S rack and PS pump aquired.

Going in after Christmas...!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How much did it run you Kennedy?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by dan.....k
How much did it run you Kennedy?
$260 for a lightly used rack and pump from a 2008 TL-S with 24K on it.

Showed up in great shape, one of th few times I've ordered parts from a junkyard that didn't show up with something wrong with them.

www.car-part.com is your friend.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Sweet your going to love it. Still to this day the best Mod I have done.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
lol....imo its a waste of money.....lot more better things you can buy with that money
Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ How many mods out there were actually NEEDED??
Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I never drove a Type-s so I don't know what the steering feels like but my 6MT 05 doesn't feel anything like you described your 04 to feel like OP.

steering feels nice and tight, not like you described it at all.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
lol....imo its a waste of money.....lot more better things you can buy with that money
Helpful post... Thanks for your useless opinion.

Unlike many mods people do here and rave about, this is one that actually truly improves the performance handling of the car. Granted, it may be useless to you, as you drive an 07-S, My 2006 Supercharged 6 speed would greatly benefit from the tighter steering.

and I got plenty of money to blow on the car... but thanks.

Myron, go test drive a TL-S... then you'll understand.

Last edited by Kennedy; 12-24-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^i couldnt agree more
Old 12-25-2009, 05:56 PM
8th Gear

Time to look into this mod.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to my understanding the pumps are the same the racks are the same what makes the differences are the coolers, piping and P/S pressure switch, extended piping that uses wider inner diameter rubber hoses instead of smaller metal ones. the coolers work faster because they look like radiators instead of just a pipe returning fluid and the pressure switch kicks in faster. they've prob updated the seals on the components as well to take a lot more abuse....the torque steer was corrected with the ecu as well not only mechanically
Old 12-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Instructor

So basically replacing the pump and the rack is won't do much?

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
to my understanding the pumps are the same the racks are the same what makes the differences are the coolers, piping and P/S pressure switch, extended piping that uses wider inner diameter rubber hoses instead of smaller metal ones. the coolers work faster because they look like radiators instead of just a pipe returning fluid and the pressure switch kicks in faster. they've prob updated the seals on the components as well to take a lot more abuse....the torque steer was corrected with the ecu as well not only mechanically
Old 12-27-2009, 06:20 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by c2pid
So basically replacing the pump and the rack is won't do much?
I think you need to read the OP's first post on this topic. He and two others, who have actually done this mod, have clearly stated a significant improvement in steering handling by simply replacing the rack...

Originally Posted by tripnbeats
From the 1st page of this post:

The TL uses torque-sensing, variable power-assisted rack and pinion steering. The engine-driven variable-output pump provides the kind of steering feel that driving enthusiasts like: modest steering effort at low speeds and precise feel at higher speeds.

For 2007, the TL Type-S receives revised power steering pumps and steering gearboxes to improve steering effort build and feeling while maintaining a confident and stable feel. To this end, the power steering pump has been retuned for decreased flow at 3250 rpm for increased effort build up. Additionally, the steering gearbox tuning increased effort by 15 percent at high speeds for better on-center feel. The rack has also been retuned for better damping feel. To keep up with the demands of spirited driving, the TL Type-S also features a new aluminum power steering fluid cooler.

Hydraulic steering dampers built into the system further improve stability during cornering and at high speeds. A one-way kickback valve decreases kickback to the steering wheel that can be caused by road irregularities. The hydraulic valve closes when it senses road irregularities, impeding disturbances to the steering wheel.

Increasing the stiffness of the steering gearbox mounting and the rear sub frame also maximizes steering linearity.

Call me crazy, but none of that sound like larger diameter PS lines or a larger PS cooler. New pump and steering rack valving, mouting bushings, etc is how this accomplished.

I may do the PS cooler too, I bet it's bolt on... It was to upgrade the cooler on the Odyssey. I'm pretty certain the line that get replaced as part of the recall is of the larger rubber variety.

I threw on the pump today, but couldn't tell much of a difference. Rack is going in Wednesday.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kennedy
I think you need to read the OP's first post on this topic. He and two others, who have actually done this mod, have clearly stated a significant improvement in steering handling by simply replacing the rack...

From the 1st page of this post:

The TL uses torque-sensing, variable power-assisted rack and pinion steering. The engine-driven variable-output pump provides the kind of steering feel that driving enthusiasts like: modest steering effort at low speeds and precise feel at higher speeds.

For 2007, the TL Type-S receives revised power steering pumps and steering gearboxes to improve steering effort build and feeling while maintaining a confident and stable feel. To this end, the power steering pump has been retuned for decreased flow at 3250 rpm for increased effort build up. Additionally, the steering gearbox tuning increased effort by 15 percent at high speeds for better on-center feel. The rack has also been retuned for better damping feel. To keep up with the demands of spirited driving, the TL Type-S also features a new aluminum power steering fluid cooler.

Hydraulic steering dampers built into the system further improve stability during cornering and at high speeds. A one-way kickback valve decreases kickback to the steering wheel that can be caused by road irregularities. The hydraulic valve closes when it senses road irregularities, impeding disturbances to the steering wheel.

Increasing the stiffness of the steering gearbox mounting and the rear sub frame also maximizes steering linearity.

Call me crazy, but none of that sound like larger diameter PS lines or a larger PS cooler. New pump and steering rack valving, mouting bushings, etc is how this accomplished.

I may do the PS cooler too, I bet it's bolt on... It was to upgrade the cooler on the Odyssey. I'm pretty certain the line that get replaced as part of the recall is of the larger rubber variety.

I threw on the pump today, but couldn't tell much of a difference. Rack is going in Wednesday.
Thanks Kennedy. Please post your findings after the rack goes in.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Did everyone have to drop the sub-frame as shown in the manual?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
Did everyone have to drop the sub-frame as shown in the manual?
No the Sub-frame will stay in place the Rack will slide out of the Drivers wheel well when the wheels is taken off.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Instructor

How long was the installation? I inquired about the labor involved at the local dealership, and of course they talked about dropping the sub-frame. They said it's around 4.5 hrs.

Originally Posted by Anarchy919
No the Sub-frame will stay in place the Rack will slide out of the Drivers wheel well when the wheels is taken off.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by c2pid
How long was the installation? I inquired about the labor involved at the local dealership, and of course they talked about dropping the sub-frame. They said it's around 4.5 hrs.
The Shop that did mine took 21/2 hrs to do it and charged me for 2hrs. For something like this never take it to the Steelership.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
sounds like a fun upgrade...this will go on my back burner
Old 12-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
Helpful post... Thanks for your useless opinion.

Unlike many mods people do here and rave about, this is one that actually truly improves the performance handling of the car. Granted, it may be useless to you, as you drive an 07-S, My 2006 Supercharged 6 speed would greatly benefit from the tighter steering.

and I got plenty of money to blow on the car... but thanks.

Myron, go test drive a TL-S... then you'll understand.

your welcome
Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

your welcome
You're 2 for 2 in useless posts in this thread... Good work!

Rack is in gents.
Grade A mod in my book. Any one in a non-TL-S should look hard at this.

Got a lot done today. Rack swap, TL-S front sway bar with Energy Suspension bushings, and ATLP race pipe with bung for A/F sensor.

Rack swap was kinda difficult... Had the help of a mechanic buddy with a lift, still took about 4 hours to do all three items above. We had to lower the subframe rear section (per the service manual), unsure how you would get the rack out without lowering it, there's just not enough clearance. You might as well plan for that, but you don't have to lower it all the way, just the rear section. There's no way to access the hydraulic lines at the rear of the rack without the subframe lowered as well.
What made install a pain was all the bolts are awkward to get to, and mildly corroded from a couple years on the road. It's just a PITA environment to work in... especially without a lift.
I'm pretty handy, and do all my own work... including supercharger and suspesnion installs on this TL. This is one I'd take to a shop again after doing it with my mechanic buddy.

If you do this mod, take the time to upgrade the FSB to the TL-S version. With the subframe dropped, the swaybar comes right out with 4 bolts. The stock bar is hollow, the TL-S bar is solid, much stiffer. This will provide better handling balance if you install that 24mm solid progress bar in the rear (like most do). If you do that, get the energy suspension poly bushings to go with it. They're bulletproof, and will really tighten up that front sway. This was a great mod within itself.

Other than that, the rack and the sway bar slide right in, with some wiggling. The steering tension is much stiffer now. It feels much more stable at higher speed... Haven't been in the twisties hardcore yet, but I already feel more confident in the handling. Some of this is likely due to the swaybar too...

I looked at the hydraulic lines, thinking about the upgraded cooler. Maybe later. I change my fluid every year, so it's of very lmited value, and it looks like I'd have to replace a whole bunch of lines in tight areas of the engine bay, lots of work for a "meh" mod.

For, $250, this is an awesome mod. Considering a new deck spoiler, ipod interface, etc costs the same... this dramatically imroves the steering handling of the car, and you feel this difference every time you drive... and I can sell my stock pump and rack for likely what I have in this, maybe less $50.

With both the tie rods on the rack being replaced, and the subframe being lowered, an alignment is a must afterward.

Quick question for you guys. Have you done the PS hose recall? I was looking at this, and wondering if they drop the subframe to remove the hose (I don't see how they don't). That said, are they doing alignments after the warranty work? I haven't done my recall yet, hoping I can get a free alignment out of it.

Anyone need a stock PS pump or rack? FSB? or meghan racing 3rd cat resonator?

Now I'm off to think of more ways to waste money, instead of buying "more better things".
Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Quick question for you guys. Have you done the PS hose recall? I was looking at this, and wondering if they drop the subframe to remove the hose (I don't see how they don't). That said, are they doing alignments after the warranty work? I haven't done my recall yet, hoping I can get a free alignment out of it.
I've done the PS hose recall. The dealer took care of that awhile back, and I don't remember they said anything about doing an alignment. Earlier this summer, the dealer also installed TL-S FSB/Progress RSB for me. I am pretty sure there was no alignment after that. I definitely felt the steering difference after those installs (running the A-Spec suspension). Once the spring hit, the TEIN SS are going in. That's why I am sitting on the fence about doing this steering rack swap.

On the side note, how do you like the SC? I got mine installed in the summer, and haven't really got a chance to try it's full potential. I was waiting for the AEM FI/C and the modified harness from "NVA-AV6" to come back, so I could get the car tuned before taking it out for a "spirited drive"
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I think this has been really overcomplicated but to clarify, you're getting two things:

A quicker steering ratio via the TL-S rack.

Revised steering boost via the TL-S pump.

I wouldn't mind the quicker steering at all, it really helps when the rear slides and you need to catch it quickly. Has anyone ever actually looked up the turns lock to lock in the mags to see the difference in ratio between the TL-S rack and base?

I would also check what the differences are in the TL-S pump. It's most likely a valving change and not an entire pump change. You may just have to buy a TL-S pressure regulator spring or valve and be done with it.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
your welcome
really on a roll there huh?

I am definitely interested in executing this upgrade as my steering feels ... for the lack of a better word ... DANGEROUS at times . Mainly driving on shit LA highways, my car enjoys moving about at its own will whenever hitting even the slightest bump/crevice ...

Anybody have any idea as to how much it would generally cost to have this installed? Also, how difficult is it to drop the subframe? I actually have energy suspension swaybar bushings for the front but never got to install them due to that damn subframe ... maybe ill kill two birds with one stone if I do find a type-s rack/pump
Old 01-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by crzygosu87

I am definitely interested in executing this upgrade as my steering feels ... for the lack of a better word ... DANGEROUS at times . Mainly driving on shit LA highways, my car enjoys moving about at its own will whenever hitting even the slightest bump/crevice ...

Anybody have any idea as to how much it would generally cost to have this installed? Also, how difficult is it to drop the subframe? I actually have energy suspension swaybar bushings for the front but never got to install them due to that damn subframe ... maybe ill kill two birds with one stone if I do find a type-s rack/pump
That sounds much more like a toe out (alignment) issue.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

i thought the same when i initially felt the above ... i had four different alignments done at three different locations and yet it still didn't seem to want to go away ...
Old 01-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Originally Posted by crzygosu87

also just to clarify, the "moving about at its own will" motion that I am referring to is more related to the fact that the steering feels extremely loose when doing so, thereby preventing a sense of tight/safe control of the car especially at high speeds
Old 01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I would also check what the differences are in the TL-S pump. It's most likely a valving change and not an entire pump change. You may just have to buy a TL-S pressure regulator spring or valve and be done with it.
Can anyone verify if this is feasible?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I am on my 3rd rack. If this one fails you know I am going to do this mod!!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Thanks for the heads-up. This seems promising.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
Can anyone verify if this is feasible?
What the Rack Swap? or the PS Pump Valve? The PS Pump can be Changed out or you can just do the PS Valve up to you I did the pump since it was off a Car that was New.

Quick Reply: '08 TL-S Steering rack in Base 04 TL Auto.