07-08 TL-S Exhaust by Excelerate!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
well after installing an excelerate base model exhaust on a fellow aziners ride... looks to me like the tips being low... INSTALL ERROR.... those damn clamps are a pain in the ass... but really the tips can be angled via spraying the clamps with dw40 so they can shimmy up and down via the clamp connections passed the y pipe... as for the hangers well, they do allow for a little adjustment post being bolted up higher... as far as tips sticking out and not flush with the bumper... I observed the same thing on the base tips
Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah i guess we will need to wait around a little bit longer to see if ayone has done it on the a spec type s model...Hopefully its all an install error
Old 06-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
well after installing an excelerate base model exhaust on a fellow aziners ride... looks to me like the tips being low... INSTALL ERROR.... those damn clamps are a pain in the ass... but really the tips can be angled via spraying the clamps with dw40 so they can shimmy up and down via the clamp connections passed the y pipe... as for the hangers well, they do allow for a little adjustment post being bolted up higher... as far as tips sticking out and not flush with the bumper... I observed the same thing on the base tips
I think your pretty much right on the money.

My life insanely busy right now and I just haven't had time to get the damn car back on a lift. The shop that helped me install it...obviously wasn't the best...I wanted to go into the shop and direct to make sure they did it right..but they weren't having any of it...,.sure wish there was shop like Excelerate's around where I lived/worked and some of these issues might not be issues.

Working on it on my own with a floor jack and jack stands is extremely hard...well for me anyway...those clamps are a bitch to work with.....especially after they've been tightened and the exhaust heated.......but I can definitely see some adjustment, higher, more even, etc.....but not tucked farther in....the hangers would need some changing and probably the exhaust a bit shorter.

Sorry guys...I've been a piss poor tester so far........being so busy with my business I've probably bitten off more then I can chew(well a couple of months ago I wasn't so busy...but now summertime here and things have changed)......I need to realize the Acurazine is my hobby and not my life....or else I might not be able to enjoy some of these cool toys anymore.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:07 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

a floor jack really wont do it... I was hanging off the driver side muffler trying to shimmy it... and I am not a lightweight by any means I am definitely a heavyweight contender...

as for the clamps... to whoever invented that, once you roll on the exhaust, kiss easy adjustments good buy
Old 06-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused about one thing. It says max power at around 243? Isn't the max power of a stock TLS 286-7??
Old 06-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Advanced

They're talking about how much HP it pushes to the Wheels (WHP) because you lose power through the drivetrain.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pellepelle_10
This is flush from the side:

Not flush from the side:

Flush from the back:

Sticking out from the back:

I hope you can see what we're getting at Excelerate. There's a pretty big difference in how these exhausts show. We're just wanting it to look flush like the original.
Wow excellent job bro. You stole the words right out of my mouth. I just bought my 08 TL TYPE S and I'm dying to do some mods to it. I'm pretty a much noob when it comes to performence mods too. This thread got me interested, but I absolutlety LOVE the way the OEM tips look. The AFMK ones i'm seein in this thread kinda steal away from the beauty... but thats jus my opinion.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 AM
it's 4:20

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Josh, have you been able to install this system your self??

I think the system is designed well and looks good, but needs to sit a bit more like stock. We also need to see one with the rear lip installed..

I'm "almost" ready to pull the trigger........need more pics..
Old 07-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Ok we have another TL-S going to BB for test fitment on Thursday. The customer has a M/T so we can see the gains on the M/T also since they will be doing another dyno. I will also have them check fitment on the tips. If the tips stick out too far adjustments will be made. I will also have more pictures taken and possibly a video.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Green Tea

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Ok we have another TL-S going to BB for test fitment on Thursday. The customer has a M/T so we can see the gains on the M/T also since they will be doing another dyno. I will also have them check fitment on the tips. If the tips stick out too far adjustments will be made. I will also have more pictures taken and possibly a video.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Hey Josh i was on your page to purchase the spacer with both intake and tb gaskets..What website should I go to buy these?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Sounds like a good deal to see what you can do about those tips...Flush Em enough to make them look almost like stock..not sticking out so much and I will purchase that cat back as well
Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JuamPs 69
Hey Josh i was on your page to purchase the spacer with both intake and tb gaskets..What website should I go to buy these?
Actually the new webstore should be up tomorrow. But P2R won't be set up for another couple weeks.

In the meantime you can send payment via Paypal to excelerate@sbcglobal.net and specify what you're ordering and for what car.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Racer

Sounds like a good deal to see what you can do about those tips...Flush Em enough to make them look almost like stock..not sticking out so much and I will purchase that cat back as well
Excelerate is going to have a list from hell as soon as those exhausts tips come out flush and those soundclips hit a solid note.

btw..jokerunm what happened to those soundclips buddy?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Advanced

now if only someone will make a super charger for this car.....
Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Finally

I know you guys have been wanting more pictures with some modification made to the way the tips hang. I just got the system installed today and I love it. The sound it produces is just amazing. I have some quick pictures of the rear and will try to take a sound clip tonight. The pictures really dont do the system any justice, once you see it in person you will fall in love.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

looks pretty good not to bad......its growing on me.... nice job
Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Looks ok...Still i think the tips should be more oval shaped like factory. Also Aspec bumper is not installed in the black Type S...Maybe that will help to make it look slightly more "hidden".
Overall good job...Mufflers seemed to be at same level from each other giving it a even height.
How is the performance with the cat back?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Advanced

they do a look a lot better then before.. but maybe its just me but they still seem to be not as flush as oem...
Old 07-04-2008, 01:17 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

they look like plain old magnaflows to me... they could get nicer with the tips by shortening the tubing section just before it
Old 07-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Green Tea

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree they should look more oval like factory..but they do look nice...I am waiting for sound clips!!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dream NBP
I know you guys have been wanting more pictures with some modification made to the way the tips hang. I just got the system installed today and I love it. The sound it produces is just amazing. I have some quick pictures of the rear and will try to take a sound clip tonight. The pictures really dont do the system any justice, once you see it in person you will fall in love.

thanks for the update Dream. Much appreciated buddy. I'm a little worried because it doesn't really look any different than the first pictures. I'm not trying to bash but I feel I'm looking at the exact same setup.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Racer

Back Side Angle
1st Setup:
2nd Setup:

What these should look closer to:

1st Setup:
2nd Setup:

Back
1st Setup:
2nd Setup:

After looking at this I don't see what has changed. It looks exactly the same as the first. Excelerate can you help us out on this buddy?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Instructor

The only difference that i have seen is as I mentioned before...The 2 setup looks better only in the muffler level height...You dont see one hanging lower than the other...
Tips must be oval shaped like oem to make it look more flushed...The rounder the tips the less flush it will look.
Aspec rear bumper will help from making the tips stick out too much...Even still they should cut it back a little bit more...The oval shape is what reveals what everyone is looking for. without it...it changes the whole luxury,slick,performance concept that everyone loves about the Type S with its quad exhaust.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Instructor

I just notices that the tips seemed to be pointing down a little bit too...They need to be straight and level
Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

I will wait for the manufacturer to send me their pictures before I make any conclusions but here are a few things you need to keep in mind.

1. The tips are going to be circle, not oval. That is how the exhaust is being designed.

2. If you want the exhaust to look exactly like the OE exhaust then you might want to just keep the OE exhaust. In order for the tip closest to the outer side of the bumper to be flush it would have to be staggered back extremely far and that is not the look I am going for.

3. Both test subjects have commented on how much they love the exhaust so thus far all who have the exhaust are happy. There is more than just a tip to an exhaust. There is the 2.5" stainless steel piping, stainless steel hardware, exhaust note, resonators, custom built mufflers, custom tips, fit and finish.

Either way I'll be talking to the manufacturer on Monday to get their comments and pictures.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
"If you want the exhaust to look exactly like the OE exhaust then you might want to just keep the OE exhaust."

problem solved
Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will wait for the manufacturer to send me their pictures before I make any conclusions but here are a few things you need to keep in mind.

1. The tips are going to be circle, not oval. That is how the exhaust is being designed.

2. If you want the exhaust to look exactly like the OE exhaust then you might want to just keep the OE exhaust. In order for the tip closest to the outer side of the bumper to be flush it would have to be staggered back extremely far and that is not the look I am going for.

3. Both test subjects have commented on how much they love the exhaust so thus far all who have the exhaust are happy. There is more than just a tip to an exhaust. There is the 2.5" stainless steel piping, stainless steel hardware, exhaust note, resonators, custom built mufflers, custom tips, fit and finish.

Either way I'll be talking to the manufacturer on Monday to get their comments and pictures.
I have to say I love the look of the tips. I personally don't think they sit too far away from the bumper, It's just the perfect amount so no damage is done to the bumper. Like I said before the pictures do no justice to the quality of the exhaust. I'm still trying to find a video camera to take some sound clips. I know you guys will love the sound produced by this exhaust.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Racer

Why after months upon months of prototypes test pics this was stated? I like the exhaust but I wish this was broadcasted before people waited a good amount of time under the impression from the first pics shown of these tips that it would look considerably closer to the stock.

It is what it is. I'll wait until the final pics come out. Nice work!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pellepelle_10
Why after months upon months of prototypes test pics this was stated? I like the exhaust but I wish this was broadcasted before people waited a good amount of time under the impression from the first pics shown of these tips that it would look considerably closer to the stock.

It is what it is. I'll wait until the final pics come out. Nice work!
If you look at the contour of the TL bumper it curves in. You would need to stagger the outer tip 2" before the other tip. I'm not talking about the tip closest to the center of the bumper. I want that tip to be as flush as possible and we will get it to that point if it's not now. We will keep that inner tip as close to flush as we can but the outer tip is always going to stick out from the side. That second tip isn't even close to flush to the bumper from the factory.

In terms of the tips not sitting flush I would recommend ppl look at their stock exhaust from the side. These tips sit as flush as the stock tips. Go to Acura.com and click on the TL-S and do the 360 degree view. Here is a picture off Acura.com of the TL-S in the 360 view (I have no association with Honda/Acura; this is just a pic off their site):

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Racer

If you look at the contour of the TL bumper it curves in. You would need to stagger the outer tip 2" before the other tip. I'm not talking about the tip closest to the center of the bumper. I want that tip to be as flush as possible and we will get it to that point if it's not now. We will keep that inner tip as close to flush as we can but the outer tip is always going to stick out from the side. That second tip isn't even close to flush to the bumper from the factory.

In terms of the tips not sitting flush I would recommend ppl look at their stock exhaust from the side. These tips sit as flush as the stock tips. Go to Acura.com and click on the TL-S and do the 360 degree view. Here is a picture off Acura.com of the TL-S in the 360 view (I have no association with Honda/Acura; this is just a pic off their site):

This is totally understandable buddy and when I posted this pic it backs up what you're saying. [see pic below]

The outermost exhaust tip does show but the entire tip shows from the excelerate. Saying this is the same is far off. [see next pic below]

It is understood that this isn't going to be an exact replica as the original but it would be nice to have the exhaust as flush as possible with the rear bumper. Keep in mind that black piece from the original muffler will be removed from the type-s as stillhere and many otheres stated so that gap between the exhaust and the bumper will be even more noticeable. It's a solid muffler nonetheless. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Instructor

I understand the whole concept of manufacturing and everything else to make an exhaust system.
Still little small details can make a big difference like focusing on those tips like a lot of customers are requesting to be oval shaped.
The round shape changes a lot of the rear bumper looks from any angle you want to see them. It just not what a lot of us are looking for. The whole system it self i consider from just reviews and pics that its better than others but a small little detail like the tips makes a lot of us not wanting to purchase it.
What can excelerate do to fix this small problem?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Racer

I understand the whole concept of manufacturing and everything else to make an exhaust system.
Still little small details can make a big difference like focusing on those tips like a lot of customers are requesting to be oval shaped.
The round shape changes a lot of the rear bumper looks from any angle you want to see them. It just not what a lot of us are looking for. The whole system it self i consider from just reviews and pics that its better than others but a small little detail like the tips makes a lot of us not wanting to purchase it.
What can excelerate do to fix this small problem?
Is it that the tips are oval or the angle they're cut make them "look" oval? If you cut a cylindrical pipe at say.. a 45 degre angle it will look oval although its cylindrical. I think it may be more the way the pipe is cut rather than the shape but I could be wrong. *shrugs*
Old 07-05-2008, 04:59 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

nah I think the tips are perfect, I just think the tubing just before it can be shortened then have the tips welded pointing up...

I feel the tips are actually perfect, it is just a matter of getting them at the proper level
Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For an aftermarket exhaust system, I think this is about as tastefully done as they come. If I wasn't so in love with the way my stock TL-S tailpipes look, I'd consider this swap.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Advanced

It's a good system but I just think for me personally it needs a few improvements. Like the tips everyone is saying. I was under the impresion they would try to look as OEM as possible (oval shape) Even in the newer system they are still hanging LOW, VERY LOW. If you compare the pics that pellepelle posted you will see this. Thats one of my biggest concerns and is probably why the whole system isn't looking flush.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Instructor

I have to agree with it...Its a combination of factors...between length...height and shape...Granted best aftermarket exhaust...If they got this close to what we are looking for...small improvements can be made...Hopefully they can fix this...ill be the first one to buy it
Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Man, you guys are tough. Honestly, if you want it to look exactly like stock, then maybe stock is best for you. An aftermarket exhaust is just that; aftermarket. I understand being anal about your car, as I am too, but what about the other positive aspects of this exhaust? It has the cleanest looking, most symmetrical Y pipe setup I've seen yet and the overall quality is exceptional.

Billy Boat has an appeal and brand recognition that rivals Borla in many circles. I'd rather say I have BB exhaust than Comptech or Greddy anyday. Actually I do have the base version on my car and the tips extend a bit further than I'd like and the left muffler hangs a bit low (which I can rectify when I get the time) but the positive attributes are stellar. I have the resonated version and it is absolutely awesome in tone. Not overly loud, but deep and very Europeanesque. The compliments never cease, not to mention these exhausts make power.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Thats great for you...Europeanesque? UHHHH you have a Japanese car my friend...10 TIMES Better thant Euro cars...Second of all no one is taking credit away from the outstanding job by Excelerate in conjunction with BB have made...A room for improvement is all what we are talking about here. By your own admission you admit it could be better.
That is what we are trying to fix here to make it ONE OF A KIND. I truly believe it could happen to satisfy not only the performance that is all-ready there but the looks to make your TL look ONE OF A KIND.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I gotcha' now. You want it to look completely stock and ONE OF A KIND!

Quick Reply: 07-08 TL-S Exhaust by Excelerate!!!