'04-'08 Acura TL ECM/PCM Edge Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
'04-'08 Acura TL ECM/PCM Edge Connectors

My edge connectors finally came in, I picked them up from onlinecomponents late last year and they were back ordered forever.

Evidently the factory that makes them had was re-tooling their site so I had to wait a long time, I was able to order just 2x of them. These are the impossible ones to find normally unless you pull it off of a fried ECM/PCM or something.

Anyone looking to DIY a harness definitely can with these, I have a MS3X now though with a harness for my car so not sure exactly what I'm going to use these for, may play around with it a little sometime later and make a new base-tune off my car by building a harness so I can generate one with the MS3X (JNR).

Definitely will beat the price of buying an AEM harness, it was $16 per connector, I still have to order the mating ends and pins, but total it'll end up being around $40-$60 or so to DIY your own harness so you don't have to cut your factory one.

The mating ends to the connector are easier to find, all the needed P/Ns are in the schematic posted.

Could also DIY your own conversion harness to run Hondata on an '04-'05 MT with these. I'd recommend not cutting the pins at the 90 degree bend and instead using double the female pins on these.

My intent when I use one is to solder female pins onto the male pins that are designed to go into a PCB and cover them with heat shrink and then build an enclosure around the 90 degree bend and the pins and fill it with potting compound.

As a final note these are the same connectors as used on both the AT and the MT models as well as a lot of the Accords and 4G TLs.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by mzilvar
My edge connectors finally came in, I picked them up from onlinecomponents late last year and they were back ordered forever.

Evidently the factory that makes them had was re-tooling their site so I had to wait a long time, I was able to order just 2x of them. These are the impossible ones to find normally unless you pull it off of a fried ECM/PCM or something.

Anyone looking to DIY a harness definitely can with these, I have a MS3X now though with a harness for my car so not sure exactly what I'm going to use these for, may play around with it a little sometime later and make a new base-tune off my car by building a harness so I can generate one with the MS3X (JNR).

Definitely will beat the price of buying an AEM harness, it was $16 per connector, I still have to order the mating ends and pins, but total it'll end up being around $40-$60 or so to DIY your own harness so you don't have to cut your factory one.

The mating ends to the connector are easier to find, all the needed P/Ns are in the schematic posted.

Could also DIY your own conversion harness to run Hondata on an '04-'05 MT with these. I'd recommend not cutting the pins at the 90 degree bend and instead using double the female pins on these.

My intent when I use one is to solder female pins onto the male pins that are designed to go into a PCB and cover them with heat shrink and then build an enclosure around the 90 degree bend and the pins and fill it with potting compound.

As a final note these are the same connectors as used on both the AT and the MT models as well as a lot of the Accords and 4G TLs.

Its good to know you can purchase small amounts from onlinecomponets. I've looked into it a few times for some crazy ideas.

Last edited by Richie v6; 03-08-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Richie v6
Its good to know you can purchase small amounts from onlinecomponets. I've looked into it a few times for some crazy ideas.
Yah, soldering to the pins on the bottom I think is the big problem though, keeping the pins from shorting together.

I contacted DIYautotune and they were willing to make a DIYBOB for it but said it'd be expensive unless I had a bunch of interest in it. Don't really want to make it a group buy though I don't think there'd be enough interest.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by mzilvar
Yah, soldering to the pins on the bottom I think is the big problem though, keeping the pins from shorting together.

I contacted DIYautotune and they were willing to make a DIYBOB for it but said it'd be expensive unless I had a bunch of interest in it. Don't really want to make it a group buy though I don't think there'd be enough interest.
Yea J&R really put people off to Megasquirt. I think with enough people working together we can make it happen. For most jumper cables I've seen they just cut the pins at the bend and solder to the pin. However the amount of labor is extreme.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
you could use a freebee CAD program and use a proto circuit board company to make some printed circuit boards to make your own DIYBOB but honestly, is it really worth it over paying $150 for an AEM harness?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KN_TL
you could use a freebee CAD program and use a proto circuit board company to make some printed circuit boards to make your own DIYBOB but honestly, is it really worth it over paying $150 for an AEM harness?
Yah Im pretty sure I can find some smaller pins that will slip on the bottom. I'll just tin the male end of the connector, crimp a pin on a wire, heat the tinned male pin and slide the female pin on then use heat shrink over it

Should actually be pretty simple. I don't really need them now though since the ms3x I picked up from another member came with the harness.

I'll probably use one eventually though.

I was originally going to use the ms3 pro and make my own harness and have to sort through the base tune as well. A lot simpler with the jnr I picked up and much cheaper which is why I bought it.

Last edited by mzilvar; 03-09-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
I was interested in building my own harness but the AEM is appealing in that the edge connector is nice and pretty. AEM lists the part number as the same for the 04 - 08 TL, so it appears that all I'd have to do is re-pin one side for the 08 ecu, correct?

It's amazing that the harness jumps $200 just due to that. I know I'll need the $50 can bus harness, but saving $200 makes the Hondata a bit more affordable. It's a bit prohibitive at over a grand and then still needing an ECU. I'm spoiled by all the B series stuff being so cheap, but there is much more demand so it's understandable.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Anyone know where to get those connector/pin for the canbus? I broke the pin that was on the wire when I was shoving it into the obd2
Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
do you still have the part number for those edge connectors?