XM Antenna removal/Sirius ant replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
XM Antenna removal/Sirius ant replace?

Hello,
I am new '08 TL owner. My baby is a non Nav version.

My question is this:

I just swapped out the XM unit (mounted in side of trunk) for a Sirius unit. I used the XM antenna but notice the sound is muted somewhat. The box for the conversion mentions that the XM antenna does not work well with Sirius.. sooo... I would like to swap out the XM ant for the Sirius one that came in the box AND reuse the color matched ant cover on the top of the car.

Is there a way to do this, using the factory cover, hole in roof.. etc?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I love this car!! I have an '04 Ford F-150 but this car drives like a sports car.. ('cuz it is?)
Old 06-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same problem on my 07TLS, for some reason when I cancelled by XM subscription, antenna works great, no problem.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ATL06
Had the same problem on my 07TLS, for some reason when I cancelled by XM subscription, antenna works great, no problem.
Thanks for the reply. What I'll try is this: I'll connect the Sirius supplied antenna temporarily to test the sound output. Maybe it is just me but the sound from the XM (now Sirius but still displays as XM on the head unit) sounds muffled. I switched from the XM mode to FM and was nearly blasted out of the car this morning!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

I am not sure how you connected to your XM antenna. I also have a 2008 TL and I used the antenna adapter sold by TSS Radio and have had great results. I use the Directed HON-SC1 / SCC1 as the SIRIUS tuner. The link to the antenna adapter is:

http://www.tss-radio.com/honda-and-a...er-p-5705.html
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

I did forget to mention that I did get the entire kit, with antenna adapter. Maybe it is just me but the volume seems very muted on sat vs FM/CD and could very well be normal. I am used to the Kenwood system in my truck with Sirius and it sounds so much better on that system than in the Acura.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Intermediate

Is your old XM tuner still connected or did you remove the two connectors?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Suzuka Master

I removed the old tuner and put the Sirius box where the XM tuner box was.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm having the same issue (and others) with the HON-SC1. I posted this on Saturday.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182703
Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced

..sorry. In case the link doesn't work:

HON-SC1 Installation (XM to SIRIUS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed the HON-SC1 Sirius Interface on my 2004 TL today. Everything went smooth (with the help of the posts on here - thanks!). I installed it in the trunk and tucked it all behind the trunk liner.

I also used the low profile Sirus antenna and mounted it in the third brake light cover with double-stick tape. I'm waiting to see how that works out before maybe moving it elsewhere.

But I'm wondering if anyone else who has this is experiencing these two things:

1) the "CH" button on the steering wheel moves through the channels one at a time. With XM it moved through the presets. None of the other buttons on the radio (Scan, Mode, Seek) seem to change this new funtionality of the "CH" button on the steering wheel.

2) The sound seems worse than XM - much more compressed. Having my Stiletto with the cassette adapter does sound better.

By the way, setting the #1 dip switch on the HON-SC1 will allow the text to scroll on the screen and uppper dash display.

Thanks again to all your posts about this!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by UA66
..sorry. In case the link doesn't work:

HON-SC1 Installation (XM to SIRIUS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed the HON-SC1 Sirius Interface on my 2004 TL today. Everything went smooth (with the help of the posts on here - thanks!). I installed it in the trunk and tucked it all behind the trunk liner.

I also used the low profile Sirus antenna and mounted it in the third brake light cover with double-stick tape. I'm waiting to see how that works out before maybe moving it elsewhere.

But I'm wondering if anyone else who has this is experiencing these two things:

1) the "CH" button on the steering wheel moves through the channels one at a time. With XM it moved through the presets. None of the other buttons on the radio (Scan, Mode, Seek) seem to change this new funtionality of the "CH" button on the steering wheel.

2) The sound seems worse than XM - much more compressed. Having my Stiletto with the cassette adapter does sound better.

By the way, setting the #1 dip switch on the HON-SC1 will allow the text to scroll on the screen and uppper dash display.

Thanks again to all your posts about this!
I am noticing the exact same issues though I am using the XM antenna with supplied adapter.

When I listen to FM, I have the volume set at about 7-9. For Sirius, I have to crank it up to about 20 to get the same output.

I set the DIP switched on the HON-SC1 to tesxt scroll and that works fine on the display.

I did notice that the presets aren't working right with the MODE and channel control on the steering wheel. I cna push the corresponding button on the head unit and it is saved.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I am noticing the exact same issues though I am using the XM antenna with supplied adapter.

When I listen to FM, I have the volume set at about 7-9. For Sirius, I have to crank it up to about 20 to get the same output.

I set the DIP switched on the HON-SC1 to tesxt scroll and that works fine on the display.

I did notice that the presets aren't working right with the MODE and channel control on the steering wheel. I cna push the corresponding button on the head unit and it is saved.
Thanks Stew!

I don't think the antenna is the cause of the poor sound. I live within 1/4 mile of a teresterial repeater. On my home Sirius tuners (Stiletto 100 & Sportster) I consistantly have 3 bars.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by UA66
Thanks Stew!

I don't think the antenna is the cause of the poor sound. I live within 1/4 mile of a teresterial repeater. On my home Sirius tuners (Stiletto 100 & Sportster) I consistantly have 3 bars.
I guess we are ging to have to contact TSS-Radio about this problem. I feel the problem lies in their electronics/interface.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

FYI,
I sent an email to sales@tss-radio.com and told them of our problems with this adapter. I included your write-up as well since you are using their antenna and I am not. That way they can't say it's the fault of the antenna.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Unit installed on my 07 Type_S. First try I had to disconnect both cables to the XM box in the trunk, was still getting XM signal and Sirus, fixed the problem, now sirus only, but lost phone book and messages on the Nav info screen. I cancelled XM service and then learned that the cables to XM box must be installed for Phone book to work and better sound. Reconnected both cables, I now have the phonebook (works great with Sony cell) and NavTraffic and all nav functions and good sound. Guess the secret is to cancel XM subscription and reconnect. I also bought the antenna cable (over priced) but no extra outside antenna. Sirus was worth the money to me.
Hope this helps
Old 06-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is the response I got back from TSS:

Hi XX -

The sound issue is usually due to the levels being set incorrect on your translator box. Here's a suggestion to try to fix this.
Turn Radio On Switch to SAT operation.
Rapidly enter this code 162534 on your preset buttons.
The audio level will toggle to a new setting and you should hear a change instantly if it's entered correctly and quickly enough.
If no change, try the code again.
Compare against FM, CD, etc. modes.
I will try this after work. If any of you guys can test this before, let me know.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

I tried what TSS suggested.. heard no change at all. I sent them another question asking if I should have left the XM module in the mix or not.

This muffled output is really bad.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Advanced

I'll try that "162534" trick today.

Another thing I noticed if you tune using the knob on the radio to any channel, say for example channel 86. Then you use your presets all day and shut of the car with channel 101 on, the next time you start the car the radio goes to channel 86.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Master Tasker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

sooo... I would like to swap out the XM ant for the Sirius one that came in the box AND reuse the color matched ant cover on the top of the car.

Is there a way to do this, using the factory cover, hole in roof.. etc?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I did this mod on my 2005 TL with the HON-SC1 and Sirius connect kit. My factory unit was one with a double antenna input, and the adapter cables are hard to come by. The guy that is doing them on this forum, Brian, is having trouble getting the part for the double antenna connector, and it's $80 to boot.

Soooooo, here's what I did (sorry for the length, but it's pretty involved):

1) removed the rear seat dome lights (pry out lenses and remove 2 screws, disconnect power cable.)

2) popped off the high mount brake light cover (there are four snaps toward rear seat dome lights) and removed the two bolts holding the unit in place (this gave me better access to the under side of the antenna.

3) used 17mm wrench to unbolt the antenna, disconnected the antenna at the clip that is just under the roof where it bolts on. The clip comes off by squeezing the little button and pulling apart.

4) now that you have the antenna off, you can remove the rubber boot from the antenna, unscrew the metal plate from underneath (4 screws), then remove the antenna "guts" by removing the other screws holding it in place (2 screws on the retainer cover and 2 on the circuit board)

5) Once you have the screws removed from the antenna, you have to remove the antenna leads from the connector so you can pull the cable through the metal plate. First, remove the white retainer clip by pushing in the tiny white nubs on either side and pry out the clip. Then carefully insert a small screwdriver into the top of the side of the connector that the wires come out and pry upwards while gently pulling on the cable. You are pushing on plastic spring clips that will release the cable from the connector.

6) you can now carefully pry the rubber boot out of the bottom of the metal plate where the antenna wires go through - it simply pulls out but is VERY tight. When it's out you can maneuver the antenna leads through the metal plate.

7) now the tough part - you have to drill out the hole that the antenna leads go through so you can fit the end of the sirius antenna through.

8) file the hole smooth to avoid cutting the antenna wire and feed antenna lead through the hole. I wrapped electrical tape around the antenna wire where it goes throught the hole just to be safe.

9) I used double sided sponge tape to attach the sirius button antenna inside the metal plate, then screwed the plate back onto the plastic cover (I did not put the original antenna circuit board and retainer back in.)

10) be sure to put the rubber boot back on and feed the antenna back into the hole on the roof, and run the wire under the roof liner to the passenger side. There you can run it down the corner pillar into the trunk. The "side air bag" button on the pillar will pry out and then the entire section pops off to reveal a channel for the antenna wire. Be sure to route the wire alongside the existing antenna wire so that it will not interfere with the air bag. Removing the headrest is helpful here.

11) From the trunk, there is a grey spongy material in the upper passenger side through which the existing antenna comes. Push the spongy stuff to the side and you can reach through to pull the antenna lead through.

12) Test to be sure all is working well before reassembling everything.

Because I was working through this as I did it, it took me about 3 hours to complete, but might be shorter for you.

I think I got everything in here. Unfortunately I don't have pictures as I didn't intend on posting this at the time, but I hope this helps. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

And of course, perform this at your own risk.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by taskmaster
I did this mod on my 2005 TL with the HON-SC1 and Sirius connect kit. My factory unit was one with a double antenna input, and the adapter cables are hard to come by. The guy that is doing them on this forum, Brian, is having trouble getting the part for the double antenna connector, and it's $80 to boot.

Soooooo, here's what I did (sorry for the length, but it's pretty involved):

1) removed the rear seat dome lights (pry out lenses and remove 2 screws, disconnect power cable.)

2) popped off the high mount brake light cover (there are four snaps toward rear seat dome lights) and removed the two bolts holding the unit in place (this gave me better access to the under side of the antenna.

3) used 17mm wrench to unbolt the antenna, disconnected the antenna at the clip that is just under the roof where it bolts on. The clip comes off by squeezing the little button and pulling apart.

4) now that you have the antenna off, you can remove the rubber boot from the antenna, unscrew the metal plate from underneath (4 screws), then remove the antenna "guts" by removing the other screws holding it in place (2 screws on the retainer cover and 2 on the circuit board)

5) Once you have the screws removed from the antenna, you have to remove the antenna leads from the connector so you can pull the cable through the metal plate. First, remove the white retainer clip by pushing in the tiny white nubs on either side and pry out the clip. Then carefully insert a small screwdriver into the top of the side of the connector that the wires come out and pry upwards while gently pulling on the cable. You are pushing on plastic spring clips that will release the cable from the connector.

6) you can now carefully pry the rubber boot out of the bottom of the metal plate where the antenna wires go through - it simply pulls out but is VERY tight. When it's out you can maneuver the antenna leads through the metal plate.

7) now the tough part - you have to drill out the hole that the antenna leads go through so you can fit the end of the sirius antenna through.

8) file the hole smooth to avoid cutting the antenna wire and feed antenna lead through the hole. I wrapped electrical tape around the antenna wire where it goes throught the hole just to be safe.

9) I used double sided sponge tape to attach the sirius button antenna inside the metal plate, then screwed the plate back onto the plastic cover (I did not put the original antenna circuit board and retainer back in.)

10) be sure to put the rubber boot back on and feed the antenna back into the hole on the roof, and run the wire under the roof liner to the passenger side. There you can run it down the corner pillar into the trunk. The "side air bag" button on the pillar will pry out and then the entire section pops off to reveal a channel for the antenna wire. Be sure to route the wire alongside the existing antenna wire so that it will not interfere with the air bag. Removing the headrest is helpful here.

11) From the trunk, there is a grey spongy material in the upper passenger side through which the existing antenna comes. Push the spongy stuff to the side and you can reach through to pull the antenna lead through.

12) Test to be sure all is working well before reassembling everything.

Because I was working through this as I did it, it took me about 3 hours to complete, but might be shorter for you.

I think I got everything in here. Unfortunately I don't have pictures as I didn't intend on posting this at the time, but I hope this helps. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

And of course, perform this at your own risk.
Sorry for taking so long to thank you but:

Thank you for posting this info! I am about to replace my head unit and add in a Kenwood unit, including the Sirius SC1 receiver unit. I think I'll do the antenna swap for that while I am doing all the other things, including pulling out the sub.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Master Tasker

Sorry for taking so long to thank you but:

Thank you for posting this info! I am about to replace my head unit and add in a Kenwood unit, including the Sirius SC1 receiver unit. I think I'll do the antenna swap for that while I am doing all the other things, including pulling out the sub.
Glad it helps. The only other thing I would add is that when you drill the hole in the metal plate, try to leave a bit of the part that protrudes out the bottom (you'll see what I mean when you take it off). That protrusion acts to prevent the antenna from twisting sideways when you're tightening it on, or from normal driving. When I drilled mine, I had to remove most of it but there is still a nub left. I don't think it will matter too much since the antenna tightens up really well, but over time it might make a difference, especially if you are in an area where you might be brushing snow and ice off the roof. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I just went out and did the swap. It wasn't too bad. The hard was enlarging he hole to fit the Siruis connector through. I left a bit of that tit the old wire went through, as you suggested and that gave the unit a bit more stability. I didn't run the wire to the receiver since I am going to be replacing all of that this weekend withte Kenwood setup. At least that is out of the way and your walkthrough was a great help!!

Too bad you don't live closer so you could witness a head unit chage-out for a double DIN nav.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Master Tasker

StewHD - glad it worked for you. Good luck with the Nav unit. If you're up to it, would love to see pix once you get it installed.

Just an FYI to anyone else doing this as I've been PM'd a couple times on this one issue: the high mount brake light has four clips on it similar to those you see on door panels. Once the screws are taken out, you can carefully insert a screwdriver, or other flat tool between the roof liner and brake light assembly to pry downward and release the assembly. It takes a bit of effort to pry it off, but it will come with a little effort. Remember - mine was a 2005 model, I don't know if it changed with other model years.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

My brake ligth cover just popped right off. It has 2 white pop-in buttons and 2 slotted clips. I just grabbed the side of it and pulled down... pop, pop and off. That was very easy.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone know If all antennas are the same? Looking to put an 06 black antenna on my 08?