What tweeters should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
What tweeters should I get?

I have noticed since I purchased my car that there is a lot of crackling from the tweeters. I have done plenty of searching on here and I know a lot of people used to recommend the infinity tweeters, but some say they are too harsh. I would like to know what the audiophiles on here recommend as the best bang for the buck. Other than my sub woofer entire system is stock, I would like to spend somewhere in the $50 range for tweeters.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
try jl tweeters i have them in my car right now they sound perfect not to harsh
Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 213swampy
try jl tweeters i have them in my car right now they sound perfect not to harsh
Thanks for the reply. What model do you have... the evolution 2 series? how was install?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Stock tweets are 2ohm I think. When looking for tweeters you need to take into account size, efficiency and crossover point (not sure what our is though)

Take a look at www.madisound.com
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The problem with replacing just the tweeters is the stock ones have a cap to block out the low frequencies. I can't think of a single aftermarket tweeter that has a cap so you're going to have to add the correct cap or get a component set that has crossovers.

If you don't like harsh highs, check out silk dome tweeters and stay away from metal domes. Not every metal dome is harsh and not every silk is smooth but more often than not silk is smoother, metal is bright.

For $50 if you can find them, the Image Dynamics CTX series tweeters are very smooth and detailed.

You can search for raw drivers as well, not just limited to automotive drivers.

Crossover points come into play. I would have to guess the tiny .5" stock tweeters are crossed over very high so if you use the same cap value almost anything will sound ok. If you decide to cross over lower which can really help make the system more clean and detailed, the more expensive tweeters become more important. Dynaudio makes some extremely nice tweeters that are very life like, detailed yet smooth down to 2khz even at high power but they're not cheap.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

I've still got my stock tweeters..PM me if interested
Old 11-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The problem with replacing just the tweeters is the stock ones have a cap to block out the low frequencies. I can't think of a single aftermarket tweeter that has a cap so you're going to have to add the correct cap or get a component set that has crossovers.

If you don't like harsh highs, check out silk dome tweeters and stay away from metal domes. Not every metal dome is harsh and not every silk is smooth but more often than not silk is smoother, metal is bright.

For $50 if you can find them, the Image Dynamics CTX series tweeters are very smooth and detailed.

You can search for raw drivers as well, not just limited to automotive drivers.

Crossover points come into play. I would have to guess the tiny .5" stock tweeters are crossed over very high so if you use the same cap value almost anything will sound ok. If you decide to cross over lower which can really help make the system more clean and detailed, the more expensive tweeters become more important. Dynaudio makes some extremely nice tweeters that are very life like, detailed yet smooth down to 2khz even at high power but they're not cheap.
thanks for all the info, while I have installed plenty of systems for myself and others they have always been very low budget. This is the first time I have ever even thought about crossover points etc. I am pretty new to the terms so I really appreciate any help you can offer. How do I find what the stock cap value is?
Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

You need to figure out what the stock crossover point is and the impedance (but that's known) then you'll be able to calculate the size of the cap needed.

OR...you can get lucky b/c I have mine right in from of me lol. Looks like the stock tweeter is 4ohm and the cap used is 3.3uf (50V). Meaning that stock crossover must be pretty damn high! Anyways...they are SUPER expensive

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=020-1200
Old 11-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
thanks for all the info, while I have installed plenty of systems for myself and others they have always been very low budget. This is the first time I have ever even thought about crossover points etc. I am pretty new to the terms so I really appreciate any help you can offer. How do I find what the stock cap value is?
I just had a site up last night but can't find it. Let me search a little. It gives the correct capacitor to use based on resistance of the tweeters and desired crossover point.

If you buy a set of components, the crossover will be supplied for you. Actually, after looking at several sets of tweeters last night, some of them do supply a cap. It looks like they're called inline crossovers.

Here are some very nice tweeters for way under msrp. I put an offer in the make an offer box and they will take $91 for them. I know it's over budget but it's a great price for these tweeters. I've heard them before and they're very smooth and detailed. Looks like they include a crossover as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mics-XS28.html
Old 11-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
You need to figure out what the stock crossover point is and the impedance (but that's known) then you'll be able to calculate the size of the cap needed.

OR...you can get lucky b/c I have mine right in from of me lol. Looks like the stock tweeter is 4ohm and the cap used is 3.3uf (50V). Meaning that stock crossover must be pretty damn high! Anyways...they are SUPER expensive

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=020-1200

12khz Looks like the stock tweeters add just a little sparkle and that's it. So our 6.5" midbass in the doors which beam at 2672hz are well into their beaming range. It makes me wonder how the stock system sounds as good as it does.

Here's the chart I was talking about:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1

Last edited by I hate cars; 11-26-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Wow! 12Khz...I didn't think it was that high but I didn't look at the chart when I typed that. Jesus. Those mids in the door are getting a workout then. Are the rears full range? I'm beginning to wonder how it sounded that good also

..good for stock that is

I just had a site up last night but can't find it. Let me search a little. It gives the correct capacitor to use based on resistance of the tweeters and desired crossover point.

If you buy a set of components, the crossover will be supplied for you. Actually, after looking at several sets of tweeters last night, some of them do supply a cap. It looks like they're called inline crossovers.

Here are some very nice tweeters for way under msrp. I put an offer in the make an offer box and they will take $91 for them. I know it's over budget but it's a great price for these tweeters. I've heard them before and they're very smooth and detailed. Looks like they include a crossover as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mics-XS28.html

Yup, these tweeters seem to be liked around all parts of the car audio community. I have them in my car right now, but I haven't had much sit down time with them.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-27-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Instructor

12khz Looks like the stock tweeters add just a little sparkle and that's it. So our 6.5" midbass in the doors which beam at 2672hz are well into their beaming range. It makes me wonder how the stock system sounds as good as it does.

Here's the chart I was talking about:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1
So what your saying is the stock tweeters do relatively little since the crossover is so high? Im thinking im just going to stick with the infinities since they do have inline crossovers and plenty have used them with no complaints other than a little harshness when cranked up... can't be any worse than the crackling i currently have. It's not that I am trying to be cheap right now... I am just kind of weird with that stuff, in the past month I have been doing a lot to my car: rims, rear lip, sub, spacers, the list goes on... I get a little bored with a car if im not modding them so I don't want to do everything i would like to all at once. I plan on replacing the fronts with some nice components and adding an amp a ways down the road when i have more free time. For now I just want to replace the tweeters that are blown with something just a little better than stock and I really want to stay under $50.

Thanks a ton tho for the help guys I have def increased my knowledge about car audio and found its pretty hard to get a set of tweeters for under 50 that isn't complete garbage.

I just checked and the passenger side dome is completely collapsed which would explain the crackling

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-27-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

If you get the Infinities, the inline crossover will high pass them at 2,500hz or in other words the tweeters will be covering a lot more of the range. It should add a lot of clarity since the tweeters will handle more of the range but they are very bright. On the stock amp they might not be too bad, I ran them like that for a year. But just be aware I had to adjust the treble as far down as it would go and it was still a little bright for my tastes. Some people really like the sound but a lot of people associate brightness with detail which isn't always the case.

Keep us updated, I would like to know how it turns out.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Instructor

If you get the Infinities, the inline crossover will high pass them at 2,500hz or in other words the tweeters will be covering a lot more of the range. It should add a lot of clarity since the tweeters will handle more of the range but they are very bright. On the stock amp they might not be too bad, I ran them like that for a year. But just be aware I had to adjust the treble as far down as it would go and it was still a little bright for my tastes. Some people really like the sound but a lot of people associate brightness with detail which isn't always the case.

Keep us updated, I would like to know how it turns out.
Thanks for the info, I was kind of wondering if the infinities would cover more range like you mentioned, I wasn't sure if that is good or not. I have read that without amping the infinities most people dont have a problem like you mentioned so thats good to know. I will update about what I think.

Also I have a question a little off topic. I found someone on here that has a new boston acoustics s35 for sale how much difference will you notice from a different center? Alot of people say they like it alot after changing it but, thats prly a little biased since they just spent $50 and their time changing it, you seem pretty unbiased whats your opinion? it seems like for $30 and a half hour of my time it can't hurt.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Team Owner

With the stock setup, a center is worthless. It's hardly used in CD and radio playback. You will never notice a difference.

In the beginning I upgraded the center and noticed zero difference and that was before i realized it was hardly used. If you get a multi channel processor such as the MS8 one day it's worth upgrading but an upgrade would be putting a 6.5" in there, not a better 3.5". Don't waste your money on it. Same goes for the rears. If you have any extra money to burn, put it on the front doors and tweeters or a sub. In this crazy journey of mine that started out simple, I've learned that by far the biggest improvement to sound quality can be made in the front stage.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Infinity Tweets + 2.5kHz HPF = permanent ringing in ears

That's going to be awful lol. I sent you a PM. I still have my stockies and they're yours for less than your looking
Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Instructor

With the stock setup, a center is worthless. It's hardly used in CD and radio playback. You will never notice a difference.

In the beginning I upgraded the center and noticed zero difference and that was before i realized it was hardly used. If you get a multi channel processor such as the MS8 one day it's worth upgrading but an upgrade would be putting a 6.5" in there, not a better 3.5". Don't waste your money on it. Same goes for the rears. If you have any extra money to burn, put it on the front doors and tweeters or a sub. In this crazy journey of mine that started out simple, I've learned that by far the biggest improvement to sound quality can be made in the front stage.
well that's good to know, I read that about the front and rear speakers on some other threads... so what can I expect to spend on upgrading the front speakers that actually is worth my time/money and is a significant upgrade

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Infinity Tweets + 2.5kHz HPF = permanent ringing in ears

That's going to be awful lol. I sent you a PM. I still have my stockies and they're yours for less than your looking
hmm well I've read plenty of people on here that liked the sound of them with a stock system, I already ordered em so ill give it a shot and if its bad ill sell em on eBay and buy yours

Last edited by Steven Bell; 11-27-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Hey guys, in the lower right hand corner of each post, the middle icon is a multi-quote button. It allows you to respond to more than one person in a single thread!

Give it a try!

Joel, welcome to Acurazine.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Instructor

I have no idea how these things came already but they did, I ordered friday and they were sitting at my door when I got home from work. It only took about a half hour to do the install, which was a pleasant surprise. I really don't notice any harshness whatsoever. I had one song with bells and lots of highs it sounded somewhat harsh with treble turned up to 5 but after i turned it down I thought it was fine. I am very happy with the buy it makes it sound so much clearer/crisper. For the money I think this is prly the best upgrade you can do for sound I mean $40 is very cheap for the amount of change i noticed. Before I couldn't stand turning the volume up to 40, everything would get crackly now it sounds just as clear at 40 as 5.

Really for me it would be a waste to spend any more on clarity I tend to download lots of my music off ebay since thats the only place I can find it and play it off my ipod. At this point I would say the download/sound quality from the ipod is the weakest link. To me it seems like changing tweeters, adding an enclosed sub, and sound deadening/removing rattles are about the most noticeable/economical upgrades someone like me can make whose not an audiophile. I am more than happy with how it sounds now. Now its time to install my tvandnav2go... I said i wasn't gonna spend any more on my car for a while but I happened to come across a steal of a deal for one that never got installed on ebay so I had to pounce on it.

Last edited by joelmatt89; 11-28-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

All that matters is you like them
Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Team Owner

Glad you like them. Be careful playing at 40 though, the stock amp is very dirty above 30. I'm sure it's a great upgrade since the tweeters are now carrying their share of the frequencies.