What To Do Help!?!!?! Components

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What To Do Help!?!!?! Components Speakers!!

well im stuck -____- im not to knowledgeable about speakers but im installing front speakers. for the tweeters i already have the infinity reference 1031t. now i can get the dxi6500 speakers for around 60 dollars with no tweeters or crossovers. or should i just get the db6501 (120 dollars) and replace the tweeters aswell. im going to be running db651s in the back fyi! =p TRYING TO SAVE MONEYYY any help appreciated!

Last edited by prowheelie92; 10-11-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: didnt make sense
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The front components are the most important part of your system if you're looking for good sound quality.

Don't worry about a center or rears, use the extra money for better mids and tweeters.

Infinities are bright. Some people like that, most don't. They can be fatiguing on your ears.

You really need to add an amp with any aftermarket speakers. If you have no plans for an amp, the Infinities are the only choice and a pretty good choice for a stock amp.

If you add an amp, it opens up a whole new world of choices but most factory speakers are more efficient than aftermarket so you will lose volume. The Infinities are the exception.

More power on the stock speakers will make as big of a difference as better speakers so the choice is yours.

I'm not familiar with those other speakers, just the Infinities.

If you do an amp, a very good set for the money is the Image Dynamics CTX-65cs.
The following users liked this post:
prowheelie92 (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Advanced

yess im doing an aftermarket amp also! and im not worried about the center channel its the tweeters that i already have in. the refference 1031t and im looking for speakers with great bass. i have looked into pold db6501 they have good reviews. as for the image dynamics how is your expirence with them
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by prowheelie92
yess im doing an aftermarket amp also! and im not worried about the center channel its the tweeters that i already have in. the refference 1031t and im looking for speakers with great bass. i have looked into pold db6501 they have good reviews. as for the image dynamics how is your expirence with them
The IDs probably have the most midbass in that price range. I ran them for over a year and loved them. Obviously I' haven't heard every speaker but it's safe to say the CTX-65 set will hold their own against anything else. Since you have tweeters already and assuming you like them, you can get the CTX-65 mid separate pretty cheap. Quality is great and I threw more than their rated power at them for a long time and no issues.

Of course, deadening the doors is a must.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Advanced

there kinda expensive my budget is around 100 and im pushing 110 for the db6501
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Also i just want to make sure if the Polk audio db6051 would fit
Driver Mounting Depth Top Mount 2" (5.08cm) Bottom Mount 2-5/16" (5.87cm)
Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Look used. You can get some pretty good stuff for around $100 used.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
So you don't need a crossover??

Check out partsexpress.com for solid, cheap mods. Madisound is another good place
Old 10-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
So you don't need a crossover??

Check out partsexpress.com for solid, cheap mods. Madisound is another good place
Not if you use stock tweeters which brings up a good point. I forgot he was using the aftermarket tweeters without the cap built in. He will need a crossover or a cap for the tweeters... Good catch.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I'd pick up a used component set for around $100 if I were you. Check out DIYMA
Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Advanced

GUYS alright i bought everything i got the polk db6501 component speakers. i have the Db651s in the front and infinity reference 1031t with out aftermarket amp. im going to replace the db651's with the polk db6501 and put the db651s in the back. yes im taking out the reference tweeters =[. BUT IM FINALLY ADDING THE AFTERMARKET AMP. im also using the PAC-HON20 for replacing or adding a amp. im still deciding weather or not i should keep the factory amp running the center channel. i will deff keep you guys posted. and btw im new to this forums. im a car enthusiast and i love putting in sound systems. let me know if u guys want pictures!!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I am thinking about doing this too. Same set up. Can you please make a DIY.

Thank you

GUYS alright i bought everything i got the polk db6501 component speakers. i have the Db651s in the front and infinity reference 1031t with out aftermarket amp. im going to replace the db651's with the polk db6501 and put the db651s in the back. yes im taking out the reference tweeters =[. BUT IM FINALLY ADDING THE AFTERMARKET AMP. im also using the PAC-HON20 for replacing or adding a amp. im still deciding weather or not i should keep the factory amp running the center channel. i will deff keep you guys posted. and btw im new to this forums. im a car enthusiast and i love putting in sound systems. let me know if u guys want pictures!!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

First, make sure you deaden the doors or it'll be a lost cause. If you dont have the cash to do it now, just save $100 or so and do it when you can..the difference should, if you install it correctly, be quiet large.

Also, if you have Navigation you'll want to keep the center. And we'll always take pics! Good luck
Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by THTL
I am thinking about doing this too. Same set up. Can you please make a DIY.

Thank you

like i said im very new to this forums. there are so many DIY's out there where u can start. but i will also do my best to make a diy for my particular system!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Advanced

First, make sure you deaden the doors or it'll be a lost cause. If you dont have the cash to do it now, just save $100 or so and do it when you can..the difference should, if you install it correctly, be quiet large.

Also, if you have Navigation you'll want to keep the center. And we'll always take pics! Good luck
what exactly do you mean my deaden the doors? like dynomat them so they dont rattle?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Correct. But there are other options that are just as good and/or better than Dynamat for cheaper. Panel resonance (aka vibrations within the panels) will take away from sound making your components sound like $5 speakers from Walmart. If you want to do it correct, you need to apply a deadener like CLD tiles or whatever and then seal the door so sound waves do not escape (you'll never completely seal the door..but you know what I mean)

Check out Sound Deadener Showdown and Second Skin....
Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Correct. But there are other options that are just as good and/or better than Dynamat for cheaper. Panel resonance (aka vibrations within the panels) will take away from sound making your components sound like $5 speakers from Walmart. If you want to do it correct, you need to apply a deadener like CLD tiles or whatever and then seal the door so sound waves do not escape (you'll never completely seal the door..but you know what I mean)

Check out Sound Deadener Showdown and Second Skin....

im a little low on money right now. but i will definitely look forward to doing that soon. and yeah i HATE that rattle. it rattles with the factory 20w i cant imagine 100w rms but is there any alternative rather then using this expensive matting, maybe some other type of material from home depot or something? haha im not joking either i compromise A LOT with stuff, and it usually ends up working out.

Last edited by prowheelie92; 10-13-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

You can use a material from Home Depot but it will end up costing you more money because you'll need more material. Plus you have to worry about the smell, it running when hot, etc. It's a different kind of way to deaden resonance (wont go into it) but it's not as efficient. Those companies are the cheapest and will get the job done. I did my doors, rear deck on both sides, trunk lid, and parts of the trunk..AND sealed my doors with the Mass Loaded Vinyl/Closed Cell Foam from SoundDeadenerShowdown, all for around $175 shipped.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Advanced

You can use a material from Home Depot but it will end up costing you more money because you'll need more material. Plus you have to worry about the smell, it running when hot, etc. It's a different kind of way to deaden resonance (wont go into it) but it's not as efficient. Those companies are the cheapest and will get the job done. I did my doors, rear deck on both sides, trunk lid, and parts of the trunk..AND sealed my doors with the Mass Loaded Vinyl/Closed Cell Foam from SoundDeadenerShowdown, all for around $175 shipped.
looks like thats my next project!!! i dont have enough money right now and i have some free time this Saturday so im just going ahead and installing all the components and the amp. but im deff asking you for advice when it comes time for that project =p i
Old 10-17-2011, 07:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used alpine type-r 6.5 components in the front and put alpine type-s in the rear with a jl audio 4/300 amp. Sound great. Turned the center channel off and removed the stock sub. I used an audio control LOC which gives me full control of the system as far as gains etc. i have a 12 kicker l5 sub and it all tied together perfect.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flowmaster11
i used alpine type-r 6.5 components in the front and put alpine type-s in the rear with a jl audio 4/300 amp. Sound great. Turned the center channel off and removed the stock sub. I used an audio control LOC which gives me full control of the system as far as gains etc. i have a 12 kicker l5 sub and it all tied together perfect.

haha im done too! polk db6501 in the front and db651s in the back! replaced aftermarket amp they sound pretty dam good besides the fact im running infinity tweeters cause i blew the polks with no crossover -_____- im proud of myself for finishing this project i just turned 18 4 months ago =D still got a lot to learn. cant wait for the next project
Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Team Owner

Congrats. I blew so much stuff up when I was that age, that's how you learn lol.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Congrats. I blew so much stuff up when I was that age, that's how you learn lol.
most deffinatly i love challenging myself. i ripped apart my whole car and got it done. i learned SOO much from this expirence. it toook a lot of effort though i worked on it on friday 4 hours 14 hours almost continuous on saturday and 8 hours on sunday now im done finally =]
Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
10th Gear

most deffinatly i love challenging myself. i ripped apart my whole car and got it done. i learned SOO much from this expirence. it toook a lot of effort though i worked on it on friday 4 hours 14 hours almost continuous on saturday and 8 hours on sunday now im done finally =]

Thats how it works. haha.. I used to love infinity mids/highs until i heard a few other types that had softer tweeters.. so much better. I guess its all about what you like anyway.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flowmaster11
Thats how it works. haha.. I used to love infinity mids/highs until i heard a few other types that had softer tweeters.. so much better. I guess its all about what you like anyway.
your deff right, but everyone hates infinities tweeters they make your ears hurt... right now im running like 40 rms to them so there a BITCH my bro had all infinity kappa's in hes car with aftermarket amp and 12w7 hes system was awesome but those tweeters killed everything. FOCAL UTOPIA are the way to go!! there just so dam expensive
The following users liked this post:
Flowmaster11 (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM
10th Gear

take a listen to alpine type-r components. They sound very nice and arent too pricey.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Team Owner

your deff right, but everyone hates infinities tweeters they make your ears hurt... right now im running like 40 rms to them so there a BITCH my bro had all infinity kappa's in hes car with aftermarket amp and 12w7 hes system was awesome but those tweeters killed everything. FOCAL UTOPIA are the way to go!! there just so dam expensive
I think everyone starts with Infinity lol. I went from Infinity to ID CTX65cs to Dynaudio Esotec 342 set to the Dynaudio Esotar 650 and 430s with the 102 tweeters. Just one single 3" Esotar midrange speaker costs more than my Infinity and ID component sets combined lol. Be careful, this thing is an addiction.

I just heard the Utopia BE tweeters and mids last weekend. Very nice set, they do female vocals very well. A little harsh on the top end but could easily have been the tune.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Advanced

I think everyone starts with Infinity lol. I went from Infinity to ID CTX65cs to Dynaudio Esotec 342 set to the Dynaudio Esotar 650 and 430s with the 102 tweeters. Just one single 3" Esotar midrange speaker costs more than my Infinity and ID component sets combined lol. Be careful, this thing is an addiction.

I just heard the Utopia BE tweeters and mids last weekend. Very nice set, they do female vocals very well. A little harsh on the top end but could easily have been the tune.
you seem to kno a lot about speakers. what would you recommend for clarity and amazing interior base. im a audiophile my music need to be PERFECT. im trying to get my hands on the focal krs from craigslist ofcourse haha =D
some guy is selling the components for 300 THATS CHEAP for the krs
Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I started with Pioneer Rev components that were all the rave back in the day (like '06-ish). Haven't stepped up too much in price like you, but my system sound 100x better due to tuning and install. I still strongly believe that those 2 things are 75% of the overall sound. Do you have the new 430's yet?? I saw the Klippel and they look pretty decent from what I can tell. Can't read that damn thing all that well though lol. I've really wanted to go 3-way but I don't have the processing power I don't think. I'd need another amp too

you seem to kno a lot about speakers. what would you recommend for clarity and amazing interior base. im a audiophile my music need to be PERFECT. im trying to get my hands on the focal krs from craigslist ofcourse haha =D
some guy is selling the components for 300 THATS CHEAP for the krs
lol. Everyone's recommendations will be different as we all have our own ears and own preferences. Certain things sound better on certain material also. Focal makes great sets but tuning seems to be needed on their lower lines
Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

I started with Pioneer Rev components that were all the rave back in the day (like '06-ish). Haven't stepped up too much in price like you, but my system sound 100x better due to tuning and install. I still strongly believe that those 2 things are 75% of the overall sound. Do you have the new 430's yet?? I saw the Klippel and they look pretty decent from what I can tell. Can't read that damn thing all that well though lol. I've really wanted to go 3-way but I don't have the processing power I don't think. I'd need another amp too
Tuning and installation is very important but when comparing speakers it's assumed the install and tuning will be up to par. When I first went from the Dyn MW162 to the 650 there was not much of a difference. After a few days of tuning I've never been happier.

Haven't gotten the 430s yet. I'm still waiting on a reply from the klippel guy. I'm getting a little anxious not knowing what's going on with them and I want to get them installed. I also need to intercept them without the GF seeing them. She would probably go crazy if she saw another dyn box at the door.

I got to listen to almost every high end speaker last weekend. Some were great, some were disappointing. The Dyns to me still have the most natural sound of any brand not just in my vehicle but in others as well.