Viper SmartStart installed finally

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Just drive...

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Viper SmartStart installed finally

I bought the Viper SmartStart system as a Christmas present to myself, and I finally had a chance to get it installed this past weekend.

I simply love that I am able to start my car now with unlimited range right from my Iphone!

If you guys have any questions about the system just let me know. BTW...I was not the one who installed it, so my knowledge on that subject is very limited!!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ damn with ur iphone !!!! NICE !!!!

btw did you do a DIY ??? any PIX ??
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MN07TLS
I bought the Viper SmartStart system as a Christmas present to myself, and I finally had a chance to get it installed this past weekend.

I simply love that I am able to start my car now with unlimited range right from my Iphone!

If you guys have any questions about the system just let me know. BTW...I was not the one who installed it, so my knowledge on that subject is very limited!!
which viper system is this?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Racer

May be way off topic is so please don't take off topic if it's a problem...I've always wondered if we could put a pay as you go cell phone (wit no monthly service charges and no experation on time on the phone) in our cars and hooked in to a remote start and alarm system (all hidden) we could call our cars and start them or have the alarm call us if it has been violated and possibly track the cars location also. Maybe it's all ready possible. Please post info if so.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Just drive...

Originally Posted by swoosh
^^^ damn with ur iphone !!!! NICE !!!!

btw did you do a DIY ??? any PIX ??
Sick isn't it! Just downloaded the Viper app onto my Iphone, entered in all of my code information for my unit, and BAM....works like charm!

I didn't install it myself, so I don't have any pix sorry to say. To take pix after the fact wouldn't so anything since it's all hidden. The only thing that can be seen is the antenna/reciever module, which is mounted right by the rear view mirror mount.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Just drive...

Originally Posted by corduroy
which viper system is this?
Check it out here if you're interested to see what it's all about....

http://www.viper.com/smartstart/
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Racer

I herd the Iphone app is really slow. Do you find it is fast enough?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Just drive...

Originally Posted by Joe Foe from Buffalo
I herd the Iphone app is really slow. Do you find it is fast enough?
The app itself I don't find slow at all. There is a slight 3-5sec delay when you command the system to start your car to it actually starting. However, when you ever notice that? I'm usually not standing right next to my car remote starting it! LOL
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Foe from Buffalo
May be way off topic is so please don't take off topic if it's a problem...I've always wondered if we could put a pay as you go cell phone (wit no monthly service charges and no experation on time on the phone) in our cars and hooked in to a remote start and alarm system (all hidden) we could call our cars and start them or have the alarm call us if it has been violated and possibly track the cars location also. Maybe it's all ready possible. Please post info if so.
Right now it only works on iPhone or iPod touch. I've heard (internet rumors) that the Droid will be next.

There is an interesting thread for what you are asking over at the12volt.com:
Remote start via disposable cell phone?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Racer

Good info, Thank you!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Joe - FYI thats exactly the functionality that this provides. Ultimately you're paying for the fact that this is a pre-existing solution and not a home wiring job to one of your old cells.

My biggest gripe is the fact that it's Best Buy exclusive and they won't do the install on any Manual tranny cars.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Pro

how much did u get it install? which viper system did u get? as for as i know u need a viper system and then add smartstart to it. btw, where u from?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
Joe - FYI thats exactly the functionality that this provides. Ultimately you're paying for the fact that this is a pre-existing solution and not a home wiring job to one of your old cells.

My biggest gripe is the fact that it's Best Buy exclusive and they won't do the install on any Manual tranny cars.
Get a viper/clifford/python and do it yourself. There's a good DIY in this section, see link below. It was on an auto, but I used it to install a clifford matrix 50.7x on my 6MT. There's a couple of things a little different for the 6MT that I can help you out with. I also can control the factory rear defog via the clifford remote.

Viper/Clifford/Python RS DIY
Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats the price tag on one of those Viper Systems?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Don't forget that the first year of service for the smartstart is free but after that it's $29.95 a year. I am contemplating this cause I do want a better alarm to begin with and also remote start. I got one qoute installed for like $800 from a private shop that I been going to for years now so as for best buy I wouldn't mess with them cause I just don't trust them there.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Just drive...

The system that I had to purchase because I did not have a Viper alarm to begin with was the VSS4000, which is $499. If you already have a compatible Viper alarm system in your car then you just need to purchase the VSM100, which is $299.

I did have Best Buy install it, and they did an excellent job I must say. The installers at my local store are great and have been working there for many years. I can understand though how some people are leary of Best Buy installers because they can be inexperienced at some locations.

If you are knowledgable in alarms and can install it yourself....more power to you!! I unfortunately don't have that kind of knowledge nor do I have the time and patience to learn!!

And your right CubanLynx....the first year of service is free, and then after that it's $29.95/yr. A small price to pay in my mind for such convienence! I've certainly spent $29.95 in worse ways!!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Instructor

The app itself I don't find slow at all. There is a slight 3-5sec delay when you command the system to start your car to it actually starting. However, when you ever notice that? I'm usually not standing right next to my car remote starting it! LOL
i would say thats pretty typical for remote start..i've seen it in action..it is definitely worth wild! ..too bad i've gone android.:gheywave:
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Pro

Has anyone found a best buy that will install on a manual transmission?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VTEChump
Has anyone found a best buy that will install on a manual transmission?
It's a corporate wide policy - unless you somehow manage to sweet talk one of the guys I can't see you getting it done at a best buy.

Not sure if theres a way to buy the components and just have it done elsewhere.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely a lag in response time but eh. Shuts the car off quickly though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYa6gzAvMZc

All i see on the screen is lock/unlock, start/stop engine, pop trunk, and arm/disarm alarm. After you click CONFIRM, does it send you anything back confirming that it actually did what you asked? Or is there some kind of STATUS button you can check the real-time status of your car i.e. "car is running" or "trunk not closed"? Wouldn't believe how often I find myself in dead zones in certain parts of Louisiana. Heck, depending where i'm standing in my bedroom, I'll drop a call or can't send a message.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Just drive...

Originally Posted by ciscopath
Definitely a lag in response time but eh. Shuts the car off quickly though.

All i see on the screen is lock/unlock, start/stop engine, pop trunk, and arm/disarm alarm. After you click CONFIRM, does it send you anything back confirming that it actually did what you asked? Or is there some kind of STATUS button you can check the real-time status of your car i.e. "car is running" or "trunk not closed"? Wouldn't believe how often I find myself in dead zones in certain parts of Louisiana. Heck, depending where i'm standing in my bedroom, I'll drop a call or can't send a message.
Yes, when you command the system to lock/unlock, start/stop, ect... there is a message generated that lets you know that the command was received at the vehicle. However, there currently is no "status" function. There are several updates coming to the SmartStart App, and I know that one of those is a "status" function that will tell you real time what is going on with your car.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i have a quick question about this starter. so now that you have the iphone app to start the car and lock and unlock it, does it disable the OEM key fob or can that still be used to open and close the door and trunk at least?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
It's a corporate wide policy - unless you somehow manage to sweet talk one of the guys I can't see you getting it done at a best buy.

Not sure if theres a way to buy the components and just have it done elsewhere.
To my knowledge, the new viper systems are designed to be used with manual transmissions. There is a certain set of steps that you are required to go through when you exit the car so that the system knows that it is not in gear before it let you remote start the vehicle. I talked to an installer at best buy and he said that they could do it if it is programmed specifically for manual transmission, but if you ask them to bypass it completely than thats a no no.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

^^ +1 from what ive read too...the viper systems are currently MT friendly however there are steps you have to do everytime you shut the car off so that it knows its not in gear, also i believe the wiring is different as well so maybe certain best buy installers dont know or arent trained on this, ive seen alot of botched best buy jobs but then again some are reputable.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Just drive...

Originally Posted by maddsiick
i have a quick question about this starter. so now that you have the iphone app to start the car and lock and unlock it, does it disable the OEM key fob or can that still be used to open and close the door and trunk at least?
When the car is started, it does disable the OEM key fob. However, I can still pop the trunk via the SmartStart app on the Iphone.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

so say if i was to have this hooked up to my car and i use my iphone everyday to start my car and then one day my brother uses the 2nd key to drive my car, would he be able to open the car using the OEM keyfob still? i know you cant remote start without the iphone app, but in case im not around can someone use the standard OEM keyfob to still get into the car and use it as normal?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Racer

^^I catch what you're asking, madd. Since I joined in '08, I've read every remote start thread I could find and I don't recall seeing anyone say they lost function of the OEM fob because the Viper systems are supposed to integrate into your existing system, not replace. I could be wrong but I know this is correct.

Viper 5902, 5901, 5701, 5601
Viper 5501, 5301, 5101

These are the systems compatible w/ SmartStart and each one comes with two Viper keyfobs so those along with your iPhone technically means you have 3 remotes.

In case anyone is wondering why I split the Viper list, it's because each list takes a different setup. On the BestBuy website, they have the VSM100 ($299) & the VSS4000 ($499). For anyone that doesn't know, the VSS4000 is NOT a Security - R/S system with Smart Start added on. You already have to have a Viper system installed on your TL. VSM100 plugs into any R/S system on the first list. VSS4000 has module that plugs into any R/S system on the second list, and then the VSM100 is plugged into the module. Think of it as needing a three-prong adapter to plug your three-prong device into a two-prone wall socket.

I know alot of you sofistocated folk knew this already. But I'm sure at least one person will have an "OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH" moment.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Racer

When the car is started, it does disable the OEM key fob. However, I can still pop the trunk via the SmartStart app on the Iphone.
Since popping the trunk is something you can't access while the car is running with the OEM but apparently you can with the iPhone, can't you also lock/unlock the doors? I've read threads where those functions were accessible with the keyfobs of aftermarket systems, so I don't really see why the system would give you that option and negate the other. If you didn't ask for the trunk feature, they must have wired that way on their own but I think you have to request trunk/door access be integrated in the Viper AUX ports during install.

And there is a work-around to gain access to these features while the car is running with the OEM fob as well.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Just drive...

Originally Posted by maddsiick
so say if i was to have this hooked up to my car and i use my iphone everyday to start my car and then one day my brother uses the 2nd key to drive my car, would he be able to open the car using the OEM keyfob still? i know you cant remote start without the iphone app, but in case im not around can someone use the standard OEM keyfob to still get into the car and use it as normal?
Yes, in your case your brother would still be ablel to use the regular OEM keyfob to lock/unlock the vehicle and start it as normal.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Just drive...

Since popping the trunk is something you can't access while the car is running with the OEM but apparently you can with the iPhone, can't you also lock/unlock the doors? I've read threads where those functions were accessible with the keyfobs of aftermarket systems, so I don't really see why the system would give you that option and negate the other. If you didn't ask for the trunk feature, they must have wired that way on their own but I think you have to request trunk/door access be integrated in the Viper AUX ports during install.

And there is a work-around to gain access to these features while the car is running with the OEM fob as well.
While the car is remote started via the Iphone app, I cannot use the OEM keyfob at all. However, I can lock/unlock the doors and pop the trunk via the Iphone app. The trunk pop was something that I requested upon install.

I was told upon installation that my OEM keyfob would be disabled once I remote started the vehicle. Some car manufacturer's OEM keyfob still does work once the vehicle is started, and those keyfobs would still work even when the vehicle was started with the Iphone app. Acura is not one of those car manufacturers. Now if there's some "work around" to make that happen...that's great. For me though, it wasn't a big deal to loose the OEM keyfob when the vehicle is running.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Pro

could someone give me a list of all the parts i need to make this work?

i know to get a viper alarm/auto start (5901) you will need the following..

Viper 5901
XK01
PKH34

Now if i go ahead and add smart start... what is it that i need? another module or modules?

And also...
lets just say i DO NOT need anything else for smart start. does anyone know how hard it is to install smart start? assuming its plug and play behind the viper brain and then program, set everything up online/iphone.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Racer

That's what i figured too. It's gotta be only a manner of connecting it to an AUX port or something. Doubt any hardwiring is involved. Only thing is that since this is stll new and more of an accessory than a necessity, price would have to drop exponetially before anyone will blow the dough just to find out.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

^^I catch what you're asking, madd. Since I joined in '08, I've read every remote start thread I could find and I don't recall seeing anyone say they lost function of the OEM fob because the Viper systems are supposed to integrate into your existing system, not replace. I could be wrong but I know this is correct.

Viper 5902, 5901, 5701, 5601
Viper 5501, 5301, 5101

These are the systems compatible w/ SmartStart and each one comes with two Viper keyfobs so those along with your iPhone technically means you have 3 remotes.

In case anyone is wondering why I split the Viper list, it's because each list takes a different setup. On the BestBuy website, they have the VSM100 ($299) & the VSS4000 ($499). For anyone that doesn't know, the VSS4000 is NOT a Security - R/S system with Smart Start added on. You already have to have a Viper system installed on your TL. VSM100 plugs into any R/S system on the first list. VSS4000 has module that plugs into any R/S system on the second list, and then the VSM100 is plugged into the module. Think of it as needing a three-prong adapter to plug your three-prong device into a two-prone wall socket.

I know alot of you sofistocated folk knew this already. But I'm sure at least one person will have an "OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH" moment.
Yes, in your case your brother would still be ablel to use the regular OEM keyfob to lock/unlock the vehicle and start it as normal.
thanks guys for clearing this up for me. so now i have to invest in a viper system first before i can the smart start system. but having the OEM keyfob working when im not around was an issue for me that you guys were able to clear up. thanks again
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by lenjaiah
could someone give me a list of all the parts i need to make this work?

i know to get a viper alarm/auto start (5901) you will need the following..

Viper 5901
XK01
PKH34
You might also consider the canmax400dei instead of the xk01 and pkh34. It does both bypass and doorlock interface in one unit and it docks into the dei alarm modules.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Advanced

To everyone asking about a 3-5 second lag, this you tube clip is for you. Not to get off topic, but let's not be entitled to instantaneous... we're talking about a frigging cell phone being able to start your car. Personally, I find that pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk
Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Originally Posted by big green
to everyone asking about a 3-5 second lag, this you tube clip is for you. Not to get off topic, but let's not be entitled to instantaneous... We're talking about a frigging cell phone being able to start your car. Personally, i find that pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1cztlk-gk
+1
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Racer

The bits about the passenger calling bullsh*% about the wireless internet and seating in a chair in the air were hilarious.