Viper 5301 Remote Start System

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Viper 5301 Remote Start System

Got this installed Saturday. No security, just RS and door lock control. Got some issues with the way it "works" and wanted to see if this was common with the TL / Viper combo.

When I de-activate the remote start, the car unlocks for a second and then locks again. Can this be turned off?

Second and the most annoying. Like I said before, my system is not for security. When I lock the car the OEM fob, it sets the factory alarm. If I use the Viper fob to unlock or remote start the car, the alarm goes off until I hit unlock on the OEM fob. But when I lock the car with the Viper, I have zero issues. Only conclusion I can draw is that the Viper system is not wired to the factory security so any command I give to the Viper while security is set causes the alarm to go off.

Trying to see if this is something I'll just have to get accustomed to since I did not get a security system or if the installer forgot to hook something up.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscopath
Got this installed Saturday. No security, just RS and door lock control. Got some issues with the way it "works" and wanted to see if this was common with the TL / Viper combo.

When I de-activate the remote start, the car unlocks for a second and then locks again. Can this be turned off?

Second and the most annoying. Like I said before, my system is not for security. When I lock the car the OEM fob, it sets the factory alarm. If I use the Viper fob to unlock or remote start the car, the alarm goes off until I hit unlock on the OEM fob. But when I lock the car with the Viper, I have zero issues. Only conclusion I can draw is that the Viper system is not wired to the factory security so any command I give to the Viper while security is set causes the alarm to go off.

Trying to see if this is something I'll just have to get accustomed to since I did not get a security system or if the installer forgot to hook something up.
Lived in Shrevehole for 11 years (BC, actually). Who did the install?

Sounds like they didn't use good bypass and/or door lock interface units.

What do you mean by de-activate the remote start?

When I remote start my car, my doors do not unlock (Clifford Matrix and canmax400dei). Some crappy bypass units have to unlock, start, and then relock the car.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny how I forgot about my own thread but felt stupid starting a new one. The issue above was due to the Best Buy installer not wiring in the factory alarm arm/dis-arm connections. For a couple of days, it worked fine. Took it back a second time because whenever I hit the RS button, it cracked the windows and the sunroof before starting the car. Again, they did "something" and it worked fine. Once it started to get cold outside, I had to take it back again. In the heat of the day, the RS worked fine but in the morning before going to work or in the cool of the night, the RS would engage the starter but never turned the motor on. And when it did work, it still cracked the windows and the horn gave a short honk when I opened the door. The BB installer gave me BS about with it being colder outside, it may need to crank longer so he lengthened the Crank Time. As usual, it worked at BB when I tested it before leaving like I always do. Next morning, the RS doesnt even engage the starter anymore. I've set up an appointment to get it un-installed Saturday. It's been nothing but a headache since I've had it and I don't believe the BB tech has any idea how to troubleshoot it.

Last edited by ciscopath; 10-19-2010 at 07:33 AM.