Trouble pairing a new phone

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble pairing a new phone

I have an 05 TL and it seems I always have this problem when I get a new phone. I've had the problem with all three of my Blackberries over the last two years (8700, 8300, and 8320).

In the pairing process, I get to the point where the systems asks me what I'd like to name the phone. I press the steering wheel button and say a phone name. The system pauses for a few seconds, then gives me the two-tone sound it makes when you press the cancel button and exits HF Link.

I usually have to try pairing for a good hour or so before I get it to work. Sometimes, instead of canceling itself on me, the system will tell me that the name I've said sounds too much like the name I just said (it plays back the recording of me saying what I'd just said a few seconds before). But usually it just cancels on me.

I have reset the system multiple times, turned the ignition off and back on, nothing seems to work. It took me a good hour and a half of trying before my brand new Blackberry 8320 paired. Anyone know what's wrong? My Acura dealer says there's no problem with the system that they can see.

Dave
Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Retired and Loving It

Have you deleted all your previous phones from the system? You may need an update on your HFL, many 04 TLs had problems with the HFL and Acura supplied an update.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM
now with four rings

pretty strange problem...but obviously it's recognizing your phone if you get to the point of giving it a name...is your bluetooth still on while recording a name? i know some phones will turn bluetooth on temporarily and then shut it off after a minute...

are you annunciating...?

maybe you've got a bad mic you're speaking into...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I've had this same issue when pairing the same model phone. A Sony W810. Also had this problem with the 2 RAZR's I had. This may be what the problem, but who knows.

I had to go through the prompts for the system to wipe everything. (As Ernie suggested)
I had 50% success with telling it to delete the previous phone and then attempting to pair it again.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're trying to name the phone a name that's similar to the old phone you have to wait a couple of hours, or if it's a similar phone to your old one.

E.G. I have an ipaq, ever once in awhile I need to do a hard reset. When I do the hard reset it clears all the bluetooth devices. What I found out (after a couple of hours of banging my head against the wall) is that you have to delete the phone from your car, wait about 4-5 hours and then go pair it. I had the exact same thing happen to me that you describe.

Dave
Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 PM
7th Gear

Very weird....to each of the people who replied:

-Yes, I did wipe everything in the HFL.
-I've tried enunciating the name I choose for the phone. I've tried saying different names. I've tried saying the name with different intonations. I've tried short names ("Blackberry"). I've tried long names ("fantastic new phone that Dave loves")
-Telling it to delete the previous phone didn't help - the previous phone was already deleted.

Next time I do this, I'll try waiting 4-5 hours and see if that helps...but I've done it before (overnight) and it still doesn't work.

Grr! My hunch is that there's some sort of incompatibility between the Blackberry bluetooth stack and the HFL's.

And thanks! I'll let you know if I figure anything out.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 PM
8th Gear

What you should do, when the bb asks to connect, say no until you have completed HFL pairing process. Then connect to it.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Have you deleted all your previous phones from the system? You may need an update on your HFL, many 04 TLs had problems with the HFL and Acura supplied an update.

I have had this exact same problem. how do you wipe out all of the previouos names you have tried?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Don't mean to jack the thread but I didn't really see a point in creating a new one..
Is there a way to delete ALL existing entries [phone book and other phones] and "refresh" the HFL?
I have a preowned o4 TL, went through some trouble while pairing a phone to the HFL.
Also have problems of it recognizing what I'm saying, it'll ask me to delete "home" [which was there from the previous owner] and I'd say yes, then it goes "dialing" wtf?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Team Anthracite Member

There is a "Clear" command that will clear out all paired phones, phone names, and the phonebook in the car.
So you don't have to pull fuses(at least try the CLEAR command first)

Step 1: Press the HFL button and say "Help". The car will go through a list of Phone Set up Options, then a list of System options, the one you want is "SYSTEM".
Step 2: Press the HFL button and say "System". Once its done saying the options here, press the HFL button and say "Clear". At this point it will give you a warning and ask for confirmation.

I not "exactly" sure on the command prompts and options. Its been awhile since I've done this.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this same issue as described by OP. I've used a mix of different phone's though with the same results so I really don't think it's a phone/stack issue. I've had E62, BB 8130, Nokia 65. It ends up taking me probably 1-2+ hrs to finally get it to work. After it's finally paired, then 98% of the time it work great, but there has been the occation where someone calls, and either I can hear them, or they can hear me but not both at the same time. I think it's a HFL module issue...