Treo 650 and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Treo 650 and Bluetooth

Just read this on treocentral.com

------------------------------------
We had the opportunity to speak with Michelle White during one of our interviews. She is the mother of Bluetooth on the Treo, and was able to at least tell us the full details of Bluetooth on the Treo 650. The Treo 650 supports Bluetooth 1.1 and five Bluetooth Profiles; Headset, Handsfree, OBEX, Serial, and DUN.
-------------------------------------

Here is the link to the entire article...

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm

Sounds like good news for us TL'ers....
Old 10-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool... 5 specific profiles, including Headsfree...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101692

Edit by MOD rets:
Old 10-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Abyss Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
Cool... 5 specific profiles, including Headsfree...
I would have thought it would be difficult to drive headsfree.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Granticus
I would have thought it would be difficult to drive headsfree.
I'm not so sure, I think I've seen folks driving that way every day. Or at least they drive like they have no head!

Good news on the handsfree profile. Can't wait until AT&T is selling the 650.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:04 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great news cullal. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Racer

Search past threads, it doesn't appear that the 650 will work in the TL.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by captain
Search past threads, it doesn't appear that the 650 will work in the TL.
Care to explain?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Racer

The Treo 650 was demoed at the CITA conference at San Franciso with a buletooth enabled Audi A6. So I guess it should work woth the TL's as well... Now if only GSM carriers would release the Treo 650...

Heres a link to the article at Bargainpda.com where i read this tidbit..

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2273

Old 11-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The T650 should work because it supports the handsfree profile, but we don't know if it pushes the signal and battery levels to the HID though. That's what stunk about the MPx220, it worked but no signal and battery indicators.

Joe
Old 11-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
If it works in the TL, I could actually get rid of my V710 AND my Palm Tungsten C for this--I'd only lose 40 MB of memory (doesn't matter, have 256 MB card), and WiFi, which could be a significant loss for me.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:10 AM
Racer

Engineering versions didn't work on the TL. But those were engineering versions so we will have to wait for a final copy to know for sure.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

So if Sprint carries the 650 (which they will), I have read that DUN may not be supported. I guess it's all hypothetical at this point, but is there any possibility that a Sprint Treo 650 would work?
Old 11-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Answered my own question: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/481-1.htm
Old 11-10-2004, 02:33 PM
10th Gear

Has anybody been able to confirm whether or not the Treo 650 will work with the TL? It is my understanding that as of today you can now order the Treo 650 directly from PalmOne if you are currently utilizing Sprint.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Registered TL User

I'd love to know too. I was going to buy a V710 but I decided to wait on Verizon to get the Treo 650 (if it works)
Old 11-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Pro

It doesnt work.. it will pair but you have to have the car look for the phone and the phone lok for the car at the same time.

It shows as an audio device.. and then it doesnt hold the pair afterwards.

I have spent hous

We need someone to fix this on one end ASAP
Old 11-23-2004, 10:46 PM
3rd Gear

Just got my treo 650 today and attempted to pair with my 2004 TL. Results are mixed. The phone and car "successfully paired" but the functionality is really about 50%. I can make a call from the phone and the car and phone will synch and work during the call, but I cannot use the steering wheel controls to make calls, as it says that no phone is found. Eseentially it seems that the phone can "talk" to the car, but the car cannot "talk" to the phone.
I spoke to a sprint tech guy who was optomistic that it would be worked out, but who knows. I would suggest everyone call sprint and have their complaint logged by a tech guy so that it becomes a "known issue" that they resolve.
It seems that although my experience is better than what I have read from others, I am not happy with the outcome. I would like to hear others experiences with the TL and 650.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:32 PM
8th Gear

Hopefully Treo will come up with a firmware upgrade soon so we can use this great phone with our GREAT car!!

Anyway, I just got of the phone with a so called "Tier 2 Tech" and got a bunch of crap as an answer!! He said:
"We are responsible for pairing the phones, if the phone and the HFL pair, then its an issue with the vehicle's manufacturer!...Nothing we can do! Call Acura!"
He also said that this is the first time someone calls with problems with their TL's! ???
Some tech!!

The best we can do is have as many of us call Sprint and PAlmOne. MAybe they realize we are a good part of their business and do something about it!
Old 11-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Intermediate

Man, good thing Is aw this before I put my order in for the phone. I was just looking on that TREO forum and was going to order my phone. I guess I will wait until there is more feedback on the usage. THIS BITES!!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:57 AM
3rd Gear

Here’s what I’ve found after a few days of tinkering with my Treo and TL… Pretty much confirmation of mcarrigg’s experience/posting on 11/23.

In short, I have been able to successfully pair the Treo to the car and make and accept calls. The operation is not totally as expected or desired, but for right now, I’m accepting of how it operates as it’s better than what I got with my 600. ;-)

Unlike other members of this forum my settings were not deleted upon restart of the car, so you may want to double-check that this is indeed happening. Have the car list the phones “Phone Setup|List” command and I’ll bet that it’s still there.

Upon completion of the pairing process and/or startup of the phone the phone icon is displayed for a few moments in the Center Console Display, but for some reason the car seems to lose track of the phone and the icon disappears. (If I recall correctly when I tested a long time ago with a friend’s Nokia, the phone icon was present at all times) I’m guessing because of this communication loss, all of the car-initiated functions (including answer) seem to fail. You can tell when the phone is communicating with the Treo as the Bluetooth icon in the upper right of the screen of the Treo appears in reverse blue - just as the phone icon disappears on the TL display, the Treo stops communicating.

Side Note: After pairing you should also be able to set Discoverable on the Treo to no for security purposes.

The HFL is successful in assuming the call communication I initiate a call with/or accept a call from the Treo. This is expected behavior based on the Treo Owner’s manual. Page 71-“If you are using a handsfree device with Bluetooth wireless technology, Treo automatically routes all calls to that device. When a call comes in, your Treo rings and the headset beeps. However, even if you pick up the call on your Treo, the call goes to the headset”. I was unable to answer a call using the TL – upon pressing the Talk button, the Treo picks up the call, but does not route it to the car. The Back button however, successfully rejects the call.

Most of the data that the TL supports on the MID is not passed such as the battery and signal strength of the phone, but given the level of interaction so far, this was not a huge surprise. For incoming calls, however, the MID did correctly display the inbound telephone number (definitely a nice surprise).

So right now, I pretty much am able to use the HFL successfully as long as I use the phone to control the call. I have noticed some small irregularities in the actual Bluetooth transfer of the call from the Treo to the car in that every once in a while the transfer doesn’t occur. So far, out of approximately 10 outbound calls one of them was not correctly routed to the car. I’ve had approximately the same failure rate on inbound calls as well. Of course you can still use the Treo as normal in these instances, but it has not worked perfectly every time. I’ll keep watching this.

While I eventually want the full functionality, especially the MID display data I will probably initiate most of my calls from the Treo as I have a pretty large contact list and the lack of synchronization between the TL’s phonebook and the Treo’s makes it less than useful except for calls to my closest circle. At home I use GoodLink software (www.good.com) on the Treo anyways which allows me to wirlessly sync w/o running the desktop redirector.

So any other experiences out there? At least this level of communication gives me a strong hope that this is a simple software update in order to get the expected functionality up and running.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Intermediate

I've been trying to get mine to work for almost two weeks with no success. I can get the phone and car paired, but nothing works after that. If I try to place a call after pairing the two, the car responds with an error saying that you cannot initiate a pair from the phone. WTF? Why are some people having moderate success and others are having none? And for those with moderate success, is that good enough for you? I'm sorry, but I want what's advertised. I want everything working as it should. I've got about three days left to send my 650 back to Sprint and I plan on boxing it up today. Maybe I'll order it again when all the kinks have been worked out.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Racer

Sorry to hear about the compatibilty issues but your problems are being noted.

blueserker website
Old 11-30-2004, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear

Hey jmad93...

Control the call with the Treo instead of the car... That should work just fine. For me it's adequate for now. I definitely want the full functionality, but the fact of it is, the only thing I'm really missing is dialing from the steering wheel. The fact that the TL's address book is not synchronized and limited in numbers makes it less valuable to me from the get-go. I have 500+ contacts in my Treo and while I don't really need to dial all of them from the car, it's just as easy for me to initiate the call using my address book... for now.

Next version wishes... Bluetooth sync of contacts and calendar (as well as reminder status so I don't have to dismiss the reminders in multiple places), natural language voice recognized dialing of contacts in my address book. :-)

Personally, the upgrade of the screen, the bluetooth sync and modem capability (using PDANET) as well as the more usable keyboard is worth the upgrade for me.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

I'm not sure why, but I was never able to control anything with the phone. After reading your posts earlier, I tried giving the phone another shot, but still nothing. Sadly, my phone was returned to Sprint today. Call me crazy, but when I pay $600 for a product, I expect everything that it's advertised to do to work perfectly.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

PalmOne working on problem

I have been informed by a reliable source that PalmOne is very aware of the problems with the 650 and the TL and is working on a patch. I wasn't able to find out how soon it would be out, but they are concerned with the bad PR from this and want to see it taken care of quickly.

I also think that there are a few TLs in the parking lot at PalmOne and those owners will certainly be making noises in the company.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Racer

There is an article on gizmodo about car problems with the Treo 650, the TL isn't the only one, there have been problems with other cars as well. Sprint says they are working on a fix.