Tiny CCD rearview camera hidden above license plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:49 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiny CCD rearview camera hidden above license plate

I'm trying to work out this deal as we speak. Here's what it's looking like. Price would be an estimated $115 shipped to your door for the camera below.

MS-AC44R

WaterProof Color CCD Camera
Resolution:512(H)X492(V)
Image Sensor:1/4" COLOR CCD
Mirror(option on board)
Angle of View 150 Degree
Power Supply: DC 9~12V
Dimension:Size:32*26*25mm

To get an idea of installation, visit kenny_c's thread

The camera found by kenny_c is the MS-AC24 (below), which has only a 70 degree viewing angle. The camera above, made by the same company, provides more than twice the coverage. With a shorter lens, the casing is also smaller by 3mm. (compare 32*26*25mm to 32*29*25mm).

Note: Kenny_c’s MS-AC24 comes in black, this MS-AC44R comes in silver. It shouldn’t matter as it wouldn’t be visible if mounting in the same location as kenny_c.

MS-AC24

kenny_c's camera for reference

I'm trying to gauge people's interest in the top camera as it covers more real estate. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:55 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
This is definitely wider than 70 degrees. Just by looking you can tell it's wider than 90 degrees.

Good find though!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
id rather have black *shrug*
Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Advanced

camera

It seems like the wholesale price is 73 each though.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Anyone know where to get one? The one on Ebay I think is not going to be available for a couple of weeks.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Instructor

In two weeks the eBay seller (Wendy) is going to have 30 more units available (of the black one) and they will be at a price of $120 shipped. She will not go any lower no matter how many we buy. For only $5 more I would probably get the black camera from her since it looks nice and kenny has already had great success (that camera definitely has over a 90 degree viewing angle). In the other thread there were at least 15 people interested in buying this camera. See if you could get the price to be lower. Let us know ASAP so I could let Wendy know. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by kin12345
It seems like the wholesale price is 73 each though.
Where did you find that info? I got a quote from them for $80 and I have an email in to them to see if that includes shipping from Taiwan (I'm thinking not).
Old 03-08-2006, 09:57 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I'll see what I can do. I'd really like to know if anyone has any interest whatsoever in the silver one. I liked it b/c it seemed a bit lower profile and supposedly has the wider viewing angle.

I'll try to get a quote on the black one as well.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:58 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

If anything will come out of it, I am in for a group buy.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ITL
I'll see what I can do. I'd really like to know if anyone has any interest whatsoever in the silver one. I liked it b/c it seemed a bit lower profile and supposedly has the wider viewing angle.

I'll try to get a quote on the black one as well.

I would guess that almost everyone that posted interest in the other thread would be interested in the silver one if the price was right. Like you said the camera will be mostly hidden so the color is not a big deal. The black is going to cost us $120 shipped so if you can get a much better price I am sure there would be many people interested. A price of $80 plus shipping (even from Taiwan) would be much less than $120. Let us know.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced

If we can get 50 people, we can get 78 bucks each but not sure abt the shipping from taiwan though.

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are pleased to quote our item of your enquiry as follows:

MS-AC14R-N @US$ 73.00

MS-AC44R-N @US$ 78.00

If you have any question, please don¡¦t hesitate to contact us.

Looking forward to receiving your order.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am definitely interested in a group buy and would slightly prefer the silver.

-Kris
Old 03-08-2006, 01:34 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Thanks for the input, Kris.

Originally Posted by kin12345
If we can get 50 people, we can get 78 bucks each but not sure abt the shipping from taiwan though.

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We are pleased to quote our item of your enquiry as follows:

MS-AC14R-N @US$ 73.00

MS-AC44R-N @US$ 78.00

If you have any question, please don¡¦t hesitate to contact us.

My price from them was $80 for 10 units on the 44R. I don't think we'd need to buy 50, my friend. Now I just need to find out the shipping costs...what do you guys think? put em on a slow boat or fork out for some prompt shipping?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:55 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I asked about shipping and minimum order quantity and here's what I received.

> We are pleased to quote your item of your enquiry as follows:
> MS-AC24 @US$ 73.00
> MS-AC44 @US$ 78.00
> That's fine for you to place several units for testing.
> The delivery charges depends on the weight of order.
> Looking forward to receiving your order.

There doesn't appear to be a minimum order and for whatever reason she won't figure up the shipping cost for me- even after asking in three different emails. If shipped together, I believe we could save a bit of money.

1 lumen is very bright and I'm sold after seeing kenny's night shot. Less than $80 for a color CCD seems like such a steal, I'm not too bothered about what the shipping price would be. I originally guessed a $20 maximum from Taiwan and that would still be fine with me- though I doubt it would really go that high.

The bottom line is that I'm going to order the silver 44R (NTSC model) for myself. If for some reason you need PAL rather than NTSC, please specify. So that this thread doesn't get crowded with requests and people opting in or out, please PM me with your order. I will reply with a confirmation of your PM and payment info. At the moment, I plan to submit the order on Tuesday, March 14th to get the ball rolling.

Be sure to include:
  • model number (kenny_c's black MC-AC24R or silver MC-AC44R )
  • name and shipping address
  • an email address that I can contact you at if necessary
  • $40 deposit (roughly 50%) per unit*
*I'd hate to try to cover the entire order out of my own pocket, so I'd like to ask a deposit to insure I don't get stuck with a purchase should someone decide to back out. For feedback, see my eBay rating (100%+ on 36 transactions) by clicking this link

Thanks,
Alan
Old 03-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Advanced

It sounds fair enough. So where is the payment going to send through using paypal or ?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Hey, I borred this from another thread (KJSmitty's post). Worth a read, I think I would defintely go with Kennys cam.

"Wide Angle Field of View
The field of view provided by any camera is determined by a combination of image sensor (see "CCD vs. CMOS Image Sensor" below) size and lens focal length. The larger the image sensor, the wider the possible field of view. However, a larger image sensor does not necessarily guarantee a wider field of view. Many rear view camera systems utilize a 1/4" image sensor, and provide only a 60 to 90 degree field of view. While a 90 degree field of view may be sufficient for some smaller vehicles, a 110 to 120 degree field of view is preferred. You should absolutely avoid any system that produces lower than a 90 degree field of view. Most high quality rear view cameras that utilize a 1/3" image sensor produce a 110 to 120 degree field of view --- that is ideal for most applications.

On the other hand, there are some rear view systems advertised with 150, 160, 180 or even 210 degree fields of view. These super wide field of view cameras are not intended for use on rear view camera systems, and will generally produce a 'fish-eye' image that will be extremely distorted and very dangerous to use as part of a rear view camera system. A few very rare specialized rear view cameras are designed with 150 or 160 degree fields of view, but these are specialty units and are very expensive (not generally available for everyday use). I can't emphasize strongly enough that you should never use a camera that provides a 'fish-eye' view --- you will eventually back into or over something or someone!"
Old 03-09-2006, 09:18 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I prefer Paypal. If you need to make another arrangement, please send me a PM and we'll try to work something out.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
will we not know shipping cost before purchase or did I just miss it in the post?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Rock Chalk JayhawkZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im also interested in this, but is the installation hard and is there any other additional equiptment needed to install this?
Old 03-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

i am IN!!! paypal is fine by me.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DiZlAoSbOiSoFlY
im also interested in this, but is the installation hard and is there any other additional equiptment needed to install this?
I dont think it will be too hard, depends on how clean you want to be. Yes you need additional materials and you should act fast. You need a RGB converter which is currently $125 or $225 (depending on non pnp or pnp). There was a group buy (ends tomorrow) where we got the price down like $75 if a certain number of acura ziners bought one.

The guy selling them is Dom and the thread is:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...6&page=1&pp=25
Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Hi Alan,

are you going to purchase all of them, get them to the US, then forward them to us?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:01 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by DiZlAoSbOiSoFlY
If you have to ask if the installation is hard, I would recommend seeking the service of a professional install. To me, it will be a piece of cake. But if you are not familiar with electrical work or disassembling your car, I wouldn't suggest making this your first DIY project. From their documentation (which can be found here), it shows that one would need to make a 12V+, ground, and signal connection.

I already have a monitor in my dash for my carpc. The aux video input can be set to automatically switch upon signal, which will be perfect for my application. I'll wire the 12V+ to my reverse light. When the reverse lights come on, the camera powers up thereby generating a signal and flipping the source on my monitor until I take the car out of reverse. I also plan to wire up a bypass so that I can peep the camera while driving down the road, too

In the event that you don't have a suitable monitor already installed, I don't know that this item would be much use for you. The factory navi screen can certainly be used for this application. Personally, I have experience with the TVandNav2Go unit, but others here are suggesting Dom's unit, which seems equivalent. These boxes will in essence tap the monitors signal lines providing an auxiliary input to the monitor...

Originally Posted by zeezz
Hi Alan,

are you going to purchase all of them, get them to the US, then forward them to us?
Yes, that is my plan. Grouping them together should make the shipping a bit cheaper and more reliable for everyone from Taiwan. I'll just have to repackage them individually and send them out

EDIT: I will gladly offer install services for a reasonable price to any Acurazine members in the Atlanta area.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Advanced

When do you think you can get them to US? will you ship to Canada?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:30 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by qqyy
When do you think you can get them to US? will you ship to Canada?
The longest wait is probably going to be the shipping from Taiwan. I will do everything I can do to get these out to you asap. I've already started collecting boxes to repackage them in!

Yes, I will ship to Canada for Acurazine members only. I can't think of any reason not to...
Old 03-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Iro Ridg .308

I'm in......don't know the difference between NTSC and PAL. Can someone clarify?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ITL
Personally, I have experience with the TVandNav2Go unit, but others here are suggesting Dom's unit, which seems equivalent. These boxes will in essence tap the monitors signal lines providing an auxiliary input to the monitor...
Isn't Dom's unit from TVandNav2Go????
Old 03-09-2006, 02:43 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by special-ed
I'm in......don't know the difference between NTSC and PAL. Can someone clarify?

Thanks
PM me with order details...see post #14

NTSC is the acronym that stands for National Television Systems Committee" and the name of the current analog transmission standard used in the US, which the committee created in 1953.

PAL, short for phase-alternating line, phase alternation by line or for phase alternation line,is a colour encoding used in broadcast television systems, used throughout the world except in most of the Americas, some East Asian countries (which use NTSC), parts of the Middle East and Eastern Europe, and France (which use SECAM, though most of them are in the process of adopting PAL). PAL was developed in Germany by Walter Bruch, working at Telefunken, and first introduced in 1967.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:55 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Shipping costs

FYI...Shipping costs look to be $5 to $10 for 2-3 day priority mail in the domestic US.

Total cost to you will be figured as follows:
Unit price for camera ordered + (total shipping from Taiwan / # units) + domestic shipping.

It's seeming like we'll get these units for <= $100 so much for that eBay auction!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Originally Posted by ITL
PM me with order details...see post #14

NTSC is the acronym that stands for National Television Systems Committee" and the name of the current analog transmission standard used in the US, which the committee created in 1953.

PAL, short for phase-alternating line, phase alternation by line or for phase alternation line,is a colour encoding used in broadcast television systems, used throughout the world except in most of the Americas, some East Asian countries (which use NTSC), parts of the Middle East and Eastern Europe, and France (which use SECAM, though most of them are in the process of adopting PAL). PAL was developed in Germany by Walter Bruch, working at Telefunken, and first introduced in 1967.
Thanks ITL for info, but basically, what is the difference between the 2? Can you tell just by looking at the LCD image that the camera is hooked up to that you are using a PAL or an NTSC camera? Is there a big visual difference in the resolution/picture?

Also, looking at the black camera listing on ebay, looks like the unit has a small pig-tail with an S-video type of connector (or similar). They also provide the 4 meter extension with the male RCA end. I just purchased the Dom's box so will need RCA input. Will a PAL camera have the same pig-tail as the Black NTSC camera?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:03 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Thanks ITL for info, but basically, what is the difference between the 2? Can you tell just by looking at the LCD image that the camera is hooked up to that you are using a PAL or an NTSC camera? Is there a big visual difference in the resolution/picture?

Also, looking at the black camera listing on ebay, looks like the unit has a small pig-tail with an S-video type of connector (or similar). They also provide the 4 meter extension with the male RCA end. I just purchased the Dom's box so will need RCA input. Will a PAL camera have the same pig-tail as the Black NTSC camera?
the S-Video connection actually split into 2 plugs at the end of the extension - RCA and power.

It's not a true S-video. The camera only utilize the connector.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:22 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

If you're in the US, you won't need the PAL camera, you'll need NTSC. They are protocols and specify the format in which the signal is transmitted.

The cameras do have an RCA connector. The connector you speak of that looks like S-video is actually just to connect the wiring harness for the camera to the circuit board that drives it. (Thanks for the confirmation kenny...you beat me to the post)
Old 03-09-2006, 03:35 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by ITL
If you're in the US, you won't need the PAL camera, you'll need NTSC. They are protocols and specify the format in which the signal is transmitted.

The cameras do have an RCA connector. The connector you speak of that looks like S-video is actually just to connect the wiring harness for the camera to the circuit board that drives it. (Thanks for the confirmation kenny...you beat me to the post)

Come to think of it, do you know if these cameras you're ordering come with any wires?

You probably want to talk to them and make sure it comes with everything you need.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:50 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by kennyc

Come to think of it, do you know if these cameras you're ordering come with any wires?

You probably want to talk to them and make sure it comes with everything you need.
Well, if they didn't, they'd be pretty useless. I will certainly confirm.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:02 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
Well, if they didn't, they'd be pretty useless. I will certainly confirm.

The instruction sheet I downloaded from Misumi depicts the "S terminal" seen on the end of the camera cord. This "S Terminal" then plugs into the supplied adapter which terminates/splits off into an RCA for video then the red/black for power. (Just like we want)
Old 03-10-2006, 07:40 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

We are pleased to quote the items and shipping charges as follows:
MS-AC24 @US$ 73.00
EMS DELIVERY CHARGES @US$ 20.00
------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL US$ 93.00

$20 shipping for one unit...definitely need to bundle these together.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:19 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Uh.. you sure you want the MS-AC24? I thought you want the 44?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:27 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Personally, I want the 44R, but I was going to order the 24R as well for those that wanted it.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Can someone make a DIY for this rear view camera and all the materials needed? Is there a thread on this, if so can someone please give me the link?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:48 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Originally Posted by ITL

$20 shipping for one unit...definitely need to bundle these together.
So how do you plan on doing it? Order all of them to yourself and shipping individual cameras to us?

Quick Reply: Tiny CCD rearview camera hidden above license plate