Tint messing up navigation

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Male Gold Digger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint messing up navigation

Just bought a 06 WDP TL about 3 months ago. Now the navigation isn't working properly, it is off by a couple of streets for the first 10 minutes or so then it works fine. The dealership told me that this is because I have tinted the back window. I think this is bull, I have had the tint on for 2 months and the navi just started acting wierd. Plus the tint is only 35%, not even that dark. Any ideas, I think the Acura dealership is feeding me a line.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Instructor

I know you don't want to hear this, but the dealer is probably right.

What kind of tint did your shop use?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
if you have aluminized tint- mettallic in any way- kiss the nav goodbye!
Its easy to remove without hurting the window defroster and have the correct tint installed
Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Found this in another post...

"Tinting as was stated in many other posts, goes inside the window, the radio antenna is on the outside, so no issue there. If the tinting is done all the way up to the top of the rear window where the navi "lump" is, then it will cover the GPS receiver. GPS is line-of-sight, it has to see the satellites, so a metallic tint will basically act as a mirror and the receiver can't see anything.

So Radio fine, GPS not-fine.."
Old 12-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Male Gold Digger

I am not sure to be honest with you. The guy who tinted it tints all the cars at the local BMW dealership. I would assume it is just standard tint. Is there any kind you would recommend?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
You're going to want to read this:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B071100.PDF

Personally, I think it is primarily .

I have 35% Madico Metallic and have NO navi problems. I've had the car 7 months and got tints the 1st month.

There is a slight reduction in FM signal reception for DISTANT stations. For example I have a harder time getting and holding Greensboro and Greenville Stations (approx 90 miles) in the '07, than in the '02 or Chevy. Local stations are just fine.

You can enter the Diagnostic Mode and view the number if satellites that you are connected to (no sure about signal strength). As long as you have a good, stable signal from at least 3 satellites, your Navi should be fine.

I've also seen some posts here, discussing the technical merits of this idea. The consensus seemed to be that it's just not true. If it were you'd also have poor cell phone reception (mine is great) as well.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Male Gold Digger

Thanks for the feedback guys. The wierd thing is the nav worked fine for 2 months with the tint, so you would think that if it was the tint it would have been acting wierd the whole time. I will have to check with my tint guy and see what he used. I think I am gonna talk it to a different Acura dealership and see what they say. What is a good Non-metallic tint I could switch it with.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
As with anything related to satellites, weather may be an influence. How is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Also, is your car garaged? Do you keep the navi on all the time?

On portable navi's, if you turn it off and move to an entirely different location (or even just off for an extended period of time), it will take the receiver some time to re-sync itself with the GPS satellites. It is quite possible the same thing is happening with yours.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Male Gold Digger

The weather here in southeast PA it cold, windy and crappy right now. I keep the car in the garage, and I keep the navi on all the time. Usually after about 10 minutes of driving it works fine, it is just annoying to look at it and realize its wrong. More of an annoyance than anything, but still frustrating none the less.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Car Guy

Originally Posted by AndyRu27
The weather here in southeast PA it cold, windy and crappy right now. I keep the car in the garage, and I keep the navi on all the time. Usually after about 10 minutes of driving it works fine, it is just annoying to look at it and realize its wrong. More of an annoyance than anything, but still frustrating none the less.
I have metallic based Johnson tint and it still works fine so far. Lots of guys have it and it's fine for them as well. I guess you are either lucky or you're not? <crossing fingers> lol

BTW the antenna is not on the outside. That is the XM/Sat radio antenna.

The Nav antenna is under the package tray in the rear by the speakers.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the mods went into a very in-depth analysis as to how metallic tints mess up the nav. I'm sure he will chime in any time to let us know. Some disagreed with him, others learned the hard way. I'm sure if you search, you will find.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Car Guy

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
One of the mods went into a very in-depth analysis as to how metallic tints mess up the nav. I'm sure he will chime in any time to let us know. Some disagreed with him, others learned the hard way. I'm sure if you search, you will find.
Yep this was covered in depth MANY times. Search is your friend.

I figured what the hell and took a chance. I should be from Missouri the show me state as I need to see for myself.

Sometimes you will need to question what you read.

To the OP here.. if it was working fine for two months then it started to act up I wouldn't say it's the tint. Seems obvious to me anyway.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Male Gold Digger

My thoughts exactly. I'll let everyone know how I make out at the dealership where I actually bought the car. Sometimes I think other Acura dealers, especially the one near my house just doesn't want to be bothered because I didn't buy it there.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Red face "Deja vu all over again" -Yogi Berra

This topic has been beat to death in other threads. As another member said: "Search is your friend".

Or, read page 3 of your Navigation Owner's Manual which tells you not to use METALLIC tint on the rear window as it will degrade the accuracy of the Navi system.

Yes, the antenna for the Navi is below the package shelf and it looks up through the rear window. Some owners in a strong signal area have reported no noticeable difference (some of those tinted their cars when new so they have nothing to compare the performance with).

Others have had the performance degraded and switched to a NON-METALLIC tint such as the ceramic tint you see in my signature.

You pays yo' money and takes yo' chances. I didn't want to go against the Navi maker's advice.