Old 12-10-2006, 09:42 PM
EBAYGEEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Time for a Remote Starter

It's getting cold in Brooklyn
Its time for a remote starter.

What are the good ones?
What do you use ?

I need one with range, I live in a 4 story Condo.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
I have a compustar remote start w/alarm (2W900FM-AS). The one I have is 1/2 mile range (line of site) and does well when I'm inside a building. This one is the next to top of the line for Compustar. The top end one has a new FM transmitter on it that cycles through frequencies to find the one with the best ception. This can be flakky but if you need range (1 mile line of site) or to really get a single through a couple buildings than thats the one. I am quite happy with mine.

Price I got: Remote start 525 installed (with alarm add 200).

Compustar has a pro series as well. If you go with compustar, call them and ask for a list of authorized dealers in you area. I did this to ensure a solid warranty on the install.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Need 4 Speed...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want alarm + remote start, then the Viper 5900 is good too. It has the new SST Technology with a 1 mile range. Works great.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Resident auto maniac

Can i get a remote start for my 6mt? probably not...
Old 12-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Starcraft II addict

^-- You can get a remote start for a MT. You just have to make sure to put on the e-brake and leave it out of gear. It usually is a little more expensive of an install on the MTs.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I have the Viper 791...it's real nice to get into a warm/defrosted car in the morning
Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Back in the saddle..again

I suugest compustar or viper. For MT cars compustar makes a model. You will need a bypass for the immobolizer i suggest the Honda-SL3 for the bypass you don't loose a key and it is simple. If you are doing it yourself get the CAN-SL2 also. More info at www.ifar.ca

Do not install an automatic starter in a manual. Get one that is made for manual that has a parking and door input.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I was told by an installer that when they have to bypass the computer because of that chip you have in your key, it will void your warranty and not be covered if your car gets stolen. Don't know how true this is, but it was what I was told.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

If my car gets stolen, my insurance will cover it and they are more than happy I have additional security. As far as warranty, not sure what part of the warranty it might void. I'm sure the dealer would find something
Old 12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Starcraft II addict

You do have to be careful what remote start system you get in the car. The TLs do have the immobolizer system and the remote start does have to bypass it. However there are big differences in how some remote start systems get around it.

All remote start systems have to bypass the immobolizer chip by making it think that there is a key in the ignition. There are two main ways that I'm aware of this being done.
1. You have to give the installer a physical key to install into the immobolizer. Keep in mind that you will not get this key back for this option. They will typically break off the key into the immobolizer bypass module. This allows the remote start to bypass the immobolizer, but the problem is there is still a physical key present in your car.

2. This option is similar to #1 however with a better result. You still have to give the installer a key, however you get the key back unharmed. What they do is to electronically program the bypass with the "fingerprint" of the key you provided. This is then used to trick the immobolizer into thinking that a key is present when the remote start system is activated allowing the car to be start. However in this case there is no physical key in the system. This is how the Compustar remote start system works.

In either case, when a person steps on the brake, the remote start system is deactivated and the immobolizer is reactivated. At this point if you don't have a proper key in the ignition in the on position, then the car shuts off. The immobolizer chip still works. I like the compustar solution (also on other brands) as there is no physical key used to bypass the immobolizer chip. Since no physical key is present no chance to take the car.

I got my remote start with an alarm system as well. Does this mean my car will never get stolen or broken into, NO. What it does mean is that such a person will see that bright a$$ alarm LED and go to the car 2 spaces down with no system and break into that one to avoid the hassle of attracking unwanted attention.

Does this in some aspect "void" the warranty for part of the car. Yes, but it's more toward the anti-theft aspect of it. As far as functionality goes or if the immobolizer stops working, the dealership has to prove that the remote start system caused the problem otherwise the defective part is still under warranty.

Hope that helps. These are the same types of questions I had when I looked into mine. Luckily I had a helpful dealership and a very reputable installer.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lyk3n0other8
It's getting cold in Brooklyn
Its time for a remote starter.

What are the good ones?
What do you use ?

I need one with range, I live in a 4 story Condo.

Thanks
You can get an "add on" remote start for around $50, but for an extra $100 you can get a full alarm with 1 mile radius, all the goodies, just use new key fobs... In fact the range is so good, that when I was in school it would actually page me in class when it was going off, I had to keep it on vibrate so it wouldnt attract everyones attention.
This is the newer version of what I had, you can find them on ebay for around $150: http://www.ultrastarters.com/4265.html
Also here: http://www.ultrastarters.com/Featur...ature_Sheet.pdf

Viper IMO sucks, my sister has the 5000, almost no range, 300' and you loose range

Originally Posted by skyy406
Can i get a remote start for my 6mt? probably not...
Yes, they make specifically manual transmission remote starts, some (like the one I had), you stopped the car, pulled up the e-brake and 1). tapped the brake pedal twice, the car stayed running and you got out and shut the door, when the door shuts, your car shut off or option #2). stopped, pulled up ebrake, pressed a button on the remote, got out, shut the door, car will use the turbo timer for 4 minutes or press the button on the remote to shut it off. It is fail-safe.

Originally Posted by Buda
^-- You can get a remote start for a MT. You just have to make sure to put on the e-brake and leave it out of gear. It usually is a little more expensive of an install on the MTs.
Some places may be, but not all of them, the only difference for a mt is that the clutch switch must be bypassed (cut the 2 wires), and a wire must be tapped into the e-brake ground.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Starcraft II addict

Beware of some of the cheaper remote starts. One option I'd recommend on the remote start item you chose is that it doesn't allow the starter to be cranked when the system is started via the remote start and is still running (i.e. you didn't press the brake to deactivate the remote start system). It's so easy to forget that you don't need to crank the key all the way as it is habit. Cheaper remote start system may not protect the starter.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

^Anti-grind
Old 12-13-2006, 12:41 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

so if I were looking for a kit to install myself on my 6MT, what would you guys recommend?

I put one on my old Accord and it was a piece of cake. I would love to have the ability of leaving the car running while I took the key and got out for a few minutes (run into store) while leaving the car protected. This would allow my carpc to stay on as well as disable the car if someone tried to steal it.

I wouldn't want to cheap out, but I don't need the most expensive either.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ITL
so if I were looking for a kit to install myself on my 6MT, what would you guys recommend?

I put one on my old Accord and it was a piece of cake. I would love to have the ability of leaving the car running while I took the key and got out for a few minutes (run into store) while leaving the car protected. This would allow my carpc to stay on as well as disable the car if someone tried to steal it.

I wouldn't want to cheap out, but I don't need the most expensive either.
I would suggest you get these 2 things, PM me for a wiring diagram, tells you where and what color the wires are.
http://www.ultrastarters.com/4265.html
ALARM, click here

And also a transponder bypass module, DEI makes a good one, just look for one where you dont have to leave a key in it. I dont see any of the alarms on ebay right now, but there should be some listed soon (I hope).