Thieves Love Your Manuals for Radio/Navi Codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Thieves Love Your Manuals for Radio/Navi Codes

My salesman told me not to keep the Key Code card and the radio/navi codes in the vehicle. However, I notice that Maintenance Journal manual has my radio and navi codes written in the Total Quality Inspection section when the mechanic performed the initial inspection of the vehicle.

If someone breaks into your car and steals the radio/navi unit along with your manuals. They can now activate the radio/navi unit using the codes written in the Total Quality Inspection section of the Maintenance Journal manual.

I am debating if I should just remove the Maintenance Journal manual and then try to remember to take it when I have the car serviced at the dealership or attempt to hide the manual somewhere in the trunk.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:12 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
why not record the info somewhere else (owner link for example) and then obliterate it in the manuals.

Problem is, if the thieves "think" it is in the manual then they are going to try and boost your radio anyway. How would they know you don't have the manuals there. Just how pissed will they be when they see the info isn't there and possibly do additional damage to the car.

So, don't try and out think thieves because most of them just don't think.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if they don't have the codes, all they have to do is contact a few dealers until one of them believes their story and provides the codes. (I've obtained codes that way, legitimately, for used cars that came without codes).
Old 07-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Racer

Lightbulb Better safe than sorry

Thanks for the feedback. After thinking about the Maintenance Journal, I realized that I never kept a maintenance journal for my previous cars. I kept the repair receipts. Therefore, I made the decision to keep the maintenance journal manual in my home rather than risk this manual being taken during a car break-in that contains the radio/navi codes. One day, when I am trading the car in for a new model, I can always provide the car repair receipts if needed to the salesman.

The reason I do not want to try to blackout the codes within in the Maintenance Journal manual is to prevent someone from thinking that I am trying to hide the “true” radio/navi that must have existed at one time during a trade-in negotiation.

If the hoodlums can convince a dealership to lookup the radio/navi codes and the dealer gives them the codes, at least I made thieves lives harder in trying to use the stolen property. Moreover, who knows what will happen when I report the radio/navi as stolen to Acura. Maybe Acura can “void” or tag the items as stolen so if/when a dealership calls regarding the stolen items, the dealership can be alerted that items are stolen.

I would still recommend checking your manuals to see if the dealership wrote the car key, radio or navi codes in any of your manuals.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Remove It!!!

Originally Posted by A_UFO
My salesman told me not to keep the Key Code card and the radio/navi codes in the vehicle. However, I notice that Maintenance Journal manual has my radio and navi codes written in the Total Quality Inspection section when the mechanic performed the initial inspection of the vehicle.

If someone breaks into your car and steals the radio/navi unit along with your manuals. They can now activate the radio/navi unit using the codes written in the Total Quality Inspection section of the Maintenance Journal manual.

I am debating if I should just remove the Maintenance Journal manual and then try to remember to take it when I have the car serviced at the dealership or attempt to hide the manual somewhere in the trunk.
I didn't keep the Key Code card in my car but I forgot that the codes were written in my Maintenance Journal by the dealer who sold me my TL. When the theif easily defeated my TL's alarm, the only items taken (and not recovered one block away) were my sunglasses and my Maintenance Journal . . .

Remove EVERYTHING that you wouldn't want someone else to get their hands on and get an after-market alarm......
Old 07-28-2005, 01:51 AM
6MT & LSD

Just curious, has ANYONE heard of cases where TL's radio/navi was stolen? 'Cause I certainly haven't. They're Acura-specific models, so the thieves don't really have a big market for them. If anything, they'll just jack your headlights, which would be quicker/easier and worth more money. I bet they looked through the manual binder looking for emergency cash or the actualy engine/ignition/key code to steal the car itself later on.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Racer

I bet they looked through the manual binder looking for emergency cash or the actualy engine/ignition/key code to steal the car itself later on.
Or they are looking for the valet key. My salesman put my valet key in the loop holder that is in the leather manual holder. I removed the valet key from the manual holder when I got home. It is not a good idea to keep the valet key with the manuals or in the car for thieves to discover.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont quite understand.
In the old days, you could steal a radio and put it in your car, but
can you see someone putting the TL radio in their car?
What would one do with the radio?
All TL's come with a radio, the same one as far as I know, so why
would someone want to steal one???

Can you add a navi to a non navi car without a lot of work?
I dont think so.

Brett
Old 07-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Brettg
I dont quite understand.
In the old days, you could steal a radio and put it in your car, but
can you see someone putting the TL radio in their car?
What would one do with the radio?
All TL's come with a radio, the same one as far as I know, so why
would someone want to steal one???

Can you add a navi to a non navi car without a lot of work?
I dont think so.

Brett
Then why would Acura bother to put codes on all the radios and Navi units?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:18 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

you guys do know that there's a sticker in your glovebox with ALL the codes right? i removed mine the day i got it. I know they (thieves) won't know if it's there or not if they break into the car anyways, but just so you know. it's there. if you havent seen it, make sure you look ALL over your glove box.

...it's there.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sequoia
you guys do know that there's a sticker in your glovebox with ALL the codes right? i removed mine the day i got it. I know they (thieves) won't know if it's there or not if they break into the car anyways, but just so you know. it's there. if you havent seen it, make sure you look ALL over your glove box.

...it's there.
Thanks for the tip. What size and color is the sticker?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:04 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long.

there are seperate stickers for the radio and for the nav.

PM me and i'll tell you exactly where to look.

scared me the first time i saw it. thought it might be there at delivary so the dealership could get it set up, I ripped it out as soon as i saw it. I asked the dealer why they give us a card and tell it to keep it in a safe space, and then have the stickers giving the codes.....

he said it so if you go to the dealership for repairs and the navi/radio is reset they can input the codes for me....

i said they can ask me for the codes and i can put it in myself.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Racer

During lunch I looked for the stickers. Found them.

Sequoia, Thanks for the heads-up and the PM!
Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

no problem.