System Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb System Upgrade Questions

I am in the process of upgrading my sound system in my 05 TL and wanted to start a thread for some of the random questions I have along the way. I figured some of my more noobish questions could be a help to others in the future, and might make a DIY or some sort of reference guide afterwards.

I am currently planning on simply (well not so simply) upgrading the front stage to components in the doors and adding a new woofer. I am also adding a sound processor(3sixty.2) to clean the signal up and will be taking the signal before the factory amp. So I will be running just a sub and front left and right components. Not sure if I want to keep the stock center and run it with the factory amp or not... or even possibly upgrade it in the future.

Fronts: I have already purchased a pair of Hybrid Audio Clarus components and an ARC Audio KS300.4 v.2. I plan to use the stock wiring to the tweeters and door speakers (by extending the stock wiring to the sound processor/crossovers) unless sound quality is an issue. Crossovers and sound processor are going under the front passenger seat.

Sub: I have already purchased an Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 and an ARC Audio XDi600.1. After researching all the different ways to setup the sub I decided on Infinite Baffle. I am better at working with wood and power tools (than I am at car audio), so this shouldn’t be too big of an issue.

Progress: I have already ran most of the wiring to the cross overs, power, some ground, and front stage amp (currently mounted in spare tire well w/ mdf platform). Rear deck and trunk lid have been deadened. I am almost ready to mount the front components, power everything up, test, and tune.

First Questions: I need somewhere to ground the 3sixty under the front passenger seat. Suggestions? Grounds should be as short as possible right? So running the wire to the one of the stock grounds 4-5 feet away (near the HU) is a bad idea right? And I also heard the seat belt bolts were off limits? It’s going to be a thin wire, probably 18ga… everything else will be grounded in the trunk.

For you IB guys. How sealed does the trunk need to be from the cabin? I sealed/deadened the rear deck with Dynamat, but there are still a some areas around it that I can see through to the trunk.

Also, besides the trunk lid, what specific areas in the trunk should be deadened to prevent rattles? I have some Dynamat left over from the rear deck and trunk lid.

Comments, questions, suggestions welcome.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
First suggestion, use bullets and cliff notes.

Good luck
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Codename Duchess

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
My suggestion is to pick a spot under the carpet, with no modules, harnesses, gas lines, brake lines etc underneath and use that as a grounding point. Clean it down to bare metal and ground there. I would also seal it under the car to prevent corrosion and rust. I would also run a ground from that point to the trunk to wherever you ground the amps as well. This will help eliminate potential noise issues. It's not required, but it is a bit of preventative installation.

And not to be a dick, but if you are having a hard time figuring out where to connect a ground, you may want to consider having the install done for you. At a bare minimum, have a buddy with A LOT of experience help you out.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
First suggestion, use bullets and cliff notes.

Good luck
My bad, next time I will. I wrote it up in a bit of a hurry.

Originally Posted by DiamondJoeQuimby
My suggestion is to pick a spot under the carpet, with no modules, harnesses, gas lines, brake lines etc underneath and use that as a grounding point. Clean it down to bare metal and ground there. I would also seal it under the car to prevent corrosion and rust. I would also run a ground from that point to the trunk to wherever you ground the amps as well. This will help eliminate potential noise issues. It's not required, but it is a bit of preventative installation.

And not to be a dick, but if you are having a hard time figuring out where to connect a ground, you may want to consider having the install done for you. At a bare minimum, have a buddy with A LOT of experience help you out.
I know most of the basics and I do have someone to check over my work before I power everything up. I'm just not familiar with the procedures for creating a new grounding point, like if I'm supposed to just drill a hole through the frame and use a bolt/nut? How to keep the nut in place under the car... Basically Im just asking for suggestions on what the best method is and where to do it. I guess I can just look for a DIY on you tube.

Thanks anyway.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
you can ground it almost anywhere. Find a good existing ground or a nut holding something on that you could scratch some paint off to make a good ground under.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Anyone have any help on the following two questions?

For you IB guys. How sealed does the trunk need to be from the cabin? I sealed/deadened the rear deck with Dynamat, but there are still a some areas around it that I can see through to the trunk (like top left/right of the rear seat when it is removed).

Also, besides the trunk lid, what specific areas in the trunk should be deadened to prevent rattles? I have some Dynamat left over from the rear deck and trunk lid.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Don't need a 100% seal

Just make sure the baffle of secure

If you're firing into the cabin, you won't have many..if any rattles

Use that deadening in the doors.