Successful Install of Wired FM Modulator for Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Successful Install of Wired FM Modulator for Sirius

With help from posts in this forum, I was able to succesfully install the Wired FM Modulator for Sirius. (I have a Starmate Replay). It made a HUGE difference in the sound quality when compared to the wireless signal (especially in the Philadelphia area.)

I ended up doing the following:
- carefully removing the aluminum strip (right side),
- remove glove box,
- remove glove box panel,
- remove panel between radio and glove box area,
- drill hole in ashtray to run wiring,
- hide excess FM modulator wiring beneath ashtray,
- re-install everything.

I took my time, and the total job duration was under 2 hours.... well worth it!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 AM
TTL PKG

DIY write up? Pics?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Any special Hardware needed.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Does the wired FM modulator that comes with Sirius fit directly into the TL radio or is an adatper needed?

Thanks,

Originally Posted by ExpensiveWino32
With help from posts in this forum, I was able to succesfully install the Wired FM Modulator for Sirius. (I have a Starmate Replay). It made a HUGE difference in the sound quality when compared to the wireless signal (especially in the Philadelphia area.)

I ended up doing the following:
- carefully removing the aluminum strip (right side),
- remove glove box,
- remove glove box panel,
- remove panel between radio and glove box area,
- drill hole in ashtray to run wiring,
- hide excess FM modulator wiring beneath ashtray,
- re-install everything.

I took my time, and the total job duration was under 2 hours.... well worth it!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Advanced

My Starmate Replay did not have the wired FM modulator that I needed to tie into the radio antenna (the wireless signal was not very good). So I went to Best Buy and bought one for $20. The wired FM modulator installs very easily into the antenna connection that is located right below the radio (on the right-hand side once the panel is off).

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Advanced

Picture after my install

I used the plastic bracket that came with the Sirius starmate, then I made a metal bracket to hold that plactic bracket in place (it had to be sturdy enough so I can change stations). I drilled the new metal bracket into the back of the lower compartment.

I can also easily remove the Starmate if necessary without removing the bracket....and there are no wires showing.

After installing the bracket and drilling the holes through the side of the compartment to run the wires, here is the end result:

Let me know if you have any questions/comments.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Umpire #27

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Where's in the atennae mounted or are you using the xm antannae that came with the car? Also, can you have both XM and Sirus or does it have to be one or the other??

Sal
Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Advanced

I ran the Sirius antenna under the steering wheel, then up the side of the dash, then up and on top of the dash. It's laying on the front dash....I was able to tuck most of the wiring between the dash and the front windshield. It's not that visible while driving.
The reception is generally very good.

I researched this forum and found that you really cannot use the XM antenna.
I had a 3 month XM trial period -- so for most of that time I had both XM and Sirius. I generally preferred the programming on Sirius, so I did not renew my XM subscription.

You can jump between XM and Sirius when the Sirius unit is on, but you cannot listen to FM/AM when the Sirius unit is on (due to the wired FM modulator).

I hope this helps!
Old 10-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Cruisin'

Sound Quality

How was the sound quality witht he FM Modulator? I debating whether I should buy the USA Spec unit that everybody seems to be happy with. I don't have (or want) an IPOD. I'm hoping that the quality of the FM Modualtor will suffice.

any comments?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ExpensiveWino32
I ran the Sirius antenna under the steering wheel, then up the side of the dash, then up and on top of the dash. It's laying on the front dash....I was able to tuck most of the wiring between the dash and the front windshield. It's not that visible while driving.
The reception is generally very good.

I researched this forum and found that you really cannot use the XM antenna.
I had a 3 month XM trial period -- so for most of that time I had both XM and Sirius. I generally preferred the programming on Sirius, so I did not renew my XM subscription.

You can jump between XM and Sirius when the Sirius unit is on, but you cannot listen to FM/AM when the Sirius unit is on (due to the wired FM modulator).

I hope this helps!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Advanced

overall-- the sound quality is very good with the FM modulator. In my 70 mile daily commute (roundtrip), there is only 1 spot where I lose my signal. I encountered many, many problems with the wireless setup, but I am very happy with the wired FM modulator. The sound quality is just as good as regular FM radio.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Nice installation. I've got a Streamer GTR (Black version of yours), can take any pictures showing the bracket(s) that you made and how you can remove the radio an hide the wires (I assume close that compartment).

I'm using a temporary installation (laying on the console) and using a cassette adapter which sound really good (thought I'd put the cassette player to good use).

I like what you did and like to use it.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Advanced

I made the bracket by connecting 2 "L"- shaped brackets that my wife had laying around. I drilled 2 screws into the flat part of the each bracket, and the back of the bracket is screwed into the back of the compartment...it's shaped like:

|______|

I can remove the Starmate from the bracket, but I cannot close the compartment without removing the entire bracket (which I don't plan on doing).
Old 12-20-2006, 07:14 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't been able to find this through search ... so does anybody have a disassembly guide / diagram / pics showing the proper way to take apart the console and such to rig up additions that live in the console trays? I'm hesitant to start ripping my TL apart without some guidance.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Heres a good place to start: DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install

You'll find diagrams and pictures in that thread. You will also find a link to jmbnova's Comptech Short Shifter Install/pics thread, which many have found useful.

There exists an old Sirius install thread using the PIE X3 instead of FM modulator: My iPod and Sirius Integration (Aux-In) w/pics

All it takes is a search guys! Good luck!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:20 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by datmrman
Heres a good place to start: DIY: Backup Camera with Dom's TVandNav2Go PNP Install

You'll find diagrams and pictures in that thread. You will also find a link to jmbnova's Comptech Short Shifter Install/pics thread, which many have found useful.

There exists an old Sirius install thread using the PIE X3 instead of FM modulator: My iPod and Sirius Integration (Aux-In) w/pics

All it takes is a search guys! Good luck!
Thanks for the links. On your point about searching, I did try to find the information by searching the forum first. When you suggested the search thing again, I went back to figure out why I didn't get good results before. That's when I noticed the option to search by posts (which shows content from the post) and by thread (which doesn't). With as many instances that seem to come up here about people posting redundant things and a moderator telling them to search first, I'd suggest changing the default to search posts rather than topics, which gives better results. I've changed my preference now.

Just a thought.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion. I have brought it up with the other moderators and admins.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 PM
10th Gear

I completed my Sirius Starmate install last weekend (through the cassette adapter) and wanted to post photos because - while making brackets from scratch is fun - I think it should be noted that the TL and Starmate live happily together with no brackets required.

I put the Starmate in the lower center console tray:

But during my dry-fit test, I realized the unit sits perfectly in the tray with no bracket or any kind of attaching beyond just setting it in there.

The power plug on the right (I shaved down the top a little to get a good fit) creates a good backstop for that side, and the plugs on the left rest nicely against the edge of the tray there. All of the wires (antenna, power, cassette adapter) live happily behind the unit in the tray:

The best thing about this approach is that if I want to hide the unit for some reason, I can just unplug the wires, push them back in the bottom tray and put the unit in the top tray:

I happened to already have a Starmate, so this worked perfect for me. They sell a different unit that's the same size but dark grey, which would look real nice in the ebony interior.

As for the stereo interface, I was going to go with the FM modulator, but it was a real hassle to get to the antenna connector ... and I have this cassette player for some reason, so I decided to use it. It's a short hop between the cassette slot and the trim covering the console, so just a little dab of tape holds the wire down nicely (looks better outside of the harsh light of a flash):

Lastly, I decided to try an interior-mount for the satellite antenna, and so far so good. I live in the city, so I have a really strong terrestrial signal, but I'll see how reception is out in the middle of nowhere on a trip this weekend. In most instances, I think it'll work fine:

The benefit of this is that by putting the antenna on the dash inside the windshield, I got to keep 100% of the install within the console and the dash. I drilled one hole in the side of the bottom trays for the wires, but otherwise it's a quick and easy uninstall. And the only break-down I had to do was the side of the console and driver's under-dash parts (which you have to take off to get to the side of the console, anyway).

Hope this helps anybody thinking of a Sirius rig.
The following users liked this post:
Sezniko (09-27-2011)
Old 01-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Good luck with your setup!!
Sirius is great......someday they will hopefully merge with XM and we'll be able to use the XM controls in the TL.