Success!!! Upgraded 04-06 Navi to 07-08 Navi w/ NavTraffic

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on connector for XM traffic tuner?

Might I kindly ask for your reference on the connectors from and to the TL XM Tuner? I just purchased an 09 TL XM Unit (traffic tuner) on EBAY for $29.00 and it just arrived in spotless shape....

As I see a left 20 pin connector and right 16 pin connector from the XM unit, would it be safe to say it would go into the same 20/16 ports on the DVD navi unit?

I own a TSX w/Navi (08) and i know we share similiar hookups etc.
though I see my original XM tuner has the 14 Pin plug in.

I have a 4.64a update disc ready to go and i am hoping maybe I could get this to work for the XM traffic.

Any help would be great!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
zepp -- that is awesome -- most of us would NOT be able to do this on our own .. congrats and nice work.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are entering uncharted territory.
Two problems I see (1 major/1 minor):
1) (major) Your navi drive is actually hard-coded with a TSX "signature". So, while the white navi discs are universal (RL, TL, TSX ... all use the same disc) they implement different features depending on the signature. Since nav traffic is not a feature available to the TSX, that part of the disc won't be implemented even if you have all the hardware to support it. So, you will have to buy a 07-08 TL navi drive to overcome this issue. This may introduce other problems (i.e. ecu communication from the navi drive), but I don't think it will. No one on the boards has been able to hack the white navi disc to implement different parts of the code. I hope you have a lot of time and $$ to play around with.
2) (minor) You will probably need to get the 07-08 hfl unit to do the full upgrade. You only get phonebook import and some other features, but if you're only interested in nav traffic, then you don't need this.

It is not merely a simple sway, as you suggest, with the 20/16 pin connectors. Here are the wiring diagrams for an 07-08 navi system to get you going: http://picasaweb.google.com/benzeppelin/07Navi

Originally Posted by mrbogusbaxter
Might I kindly ask for your reference on the connectors from and to the TL XM Tuner? I just purchased an 09 TL XM Unit (traffic tuner) on EBAY for $29.00 and it just arrived in spotless shape....

As I see a left 20 pin connector and right 16 pin connector from the XM unit, would it be safe to say it would go into the same 20/16 ports on the DVD navi unit?

I own a TSX w/Navi (08) and i know we share similiar hookups etc.
though I see my original XM tuner has the 14 Pin plug in.

I have a 4.64a update disc ready to go and i am hoping maybe I could get this to work for the XM traffic.

Any help would be great!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:45 AM
9th Gear

Smile

first i do say a very kind thanks for the insight. i do appreciate the heads up for sure. In reality... i really only purchased the tuner as a replacement for my current XM tuner which I unfortunately broke while installing an alpine dvd/cd changer (snapped a pin out of the xm unit...how i dont know...??)

anyways i chose the xm (newer) as i figured I would grab it just for the price alone. as for the xm traffic, if it is that much of a headache..than i probably might not dedicate all that time considering I could easily hookup an Alpine XM/Sirius traffic tuner via the AI-Net on my changer. When and if the day comes when the bug bites...)

I thought I would at least hit up for the info since you truly did advance tremendously on the subject via your upgrade.

ya never know til you ask or sometimes even try!!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 AM
9th Gear

one more...double double thanks for the links to the wiring diagrams.
very cool of you to share the wealth!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM
but you can call me Ken.

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Jealous.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Getting it to work as a standalone xm receiver shouldn't be that much of a problem (at least you can get that going). The major hiccup is that the navi xm receiver requires power from fuse 21 (it also requires fuse 7 and 32, but those are easily accessible) and there is no easy access to it. I had to splice into a wire underneath the carpeting on the passenger side front seat (required taking out the front seat, which isn't actually too bad).
From there, just de-pin the original connector that plugged into your xm receiver and re-pin it to your new xm receiver. You'll have to follow the pin layout as described in photo 7, 9 and 11 of the web album http://picasaweb.google.com/benzeppelin/07Navi#
I don't want to discourage you, but if I can do it (I was a complete novice when I jumped in) anyone can. For real. I wouldn't even know how to add a dvd/cd changer into the stereo system. It just takes some patience and research.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by mrbogusbaxter
first i do say a very kind thanks for the insight. i do appreciate the heads up for sure. In reality... i really only purchased the tuner as a replacement for my current XM tuner which I unfortunately broke while installing an alpine dvd/cd changer (snapped a pin out of the xm unit...how i dont know...??)

anyways i chose the xm (newer) as i figured I would grab it just for the price alone. as for the xm traffic, if it is that much of a headache..than i probably might not dedicate all that time considering I could easily hookup an Alpine XM/Sirius traffic tuner via the AI-Net on my changer. When and if the day comes when the bug bites...)

I thought I would at least hit up for the info since you truly did advance tremendously on the subject via your upgrade.

ya never know til you ask or sometimes even try!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
6th Gear

Wow. I'm just impressed that you were able to find a new HFL unit. Mine HFL is broken in my 04 w/ navi and I can't find parts anywhere. Any advice?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Email me at zeppelin1977 @ yahoo . com
I have my old hfl unit for sale.

Originally Posted by ando1brett
Wow. I'm just impressed that you were able to find a new HFL unit. Mine HFL is broken in my 04 w/ navi and I can't find parts anywhere. Any advice?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zeppelin77
Actually, Acura does try to make the parts interchangeable. For instance, the 04-06 and 07-08 navi drives use the same connectors, with only the addition of the rear camera connector in the 07-08.

On the other hand, with the XM receiver, it's almost impossible. The 04-06 xm receiver (and 07-08 non-navi xm receiver) uses a single 14 pin connector to connect with the audio unit only. Whereas the navi xm receiver uses two connectors (a 16 and 20 pin) because of the additional functionality. It makes additional connections with the navi drive and hfl unit.

Just curious, I take it there is no adapter out there or anything that you could buy to make xm navtraffic work on an 05 TL with Navigation...

I know this is a long shot too, but I just had a backup camera put in mine with navtool. Can you somehow use that for it?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 AM
- Gene

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it possible to do this with a 2007 honda accord ex-l with navi and xm?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

wow great job
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Advanced

I would love to completely rip out the navi in my 02 CL and replace it with this newer system. Anyone know if this is possible, logistically?

thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppelin77
.... I can also call out from within Navi software (i.e. call a restaurant).

It's all impressive, but the sentence quoted above puzzles me. The original Navi software on the 2004 TL lets you do this, assuming there's a number in the database. You just say "Send" (or, when the Navi lady fails to recognize what you said, you navigate to the "Send" button on the screen and select it), and then the HFL says "Dialling the number received from the navigation system."

What am I missing with respect to the sentence quoted above?

(I don't mean this to sound like I'm denigrating your effort otherwise. I'm just wondering whether you found some sort of new functionality in this one respect.)
Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Instructor

I think you're right!
My first conversion was to an 04-06 navi system tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10809702, but it wasn't 100% successful and I couldn't call out to a restaurant.
But now I can.

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
It's all impressive, but the sentence quoted above puzzles me. The original Navi software on the 2004 TL lets you do this, assuming there's a number in the database. You just say "Send" (or, when the Navi lady fails to recognize what you said, you navigate to the "Send" button on the screen and select it), and then the HFL says "Dialling the number received from the navigation system."

What am I missing with respect to the sentence quoted above?

(I don't mean this to sound like I'm denigrating your effort otherwise. I'm just wondering whether you found some sort of new functionality in this one respect.)
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM
10th Gear

i am tryin to do the same conversion.. i dont need the navtraffic stuff and all that.. as long as the basic navigation works im am happy with that.. i would like to kno which connectors on the dvd drive are not used, my drive unit was stolen and the plugs were cut so i have to resplice all the wires back there.. some of the wires match up and some dont.. should i jus hook up all the matching wires and see where that gets me?? thanks 4 ur help in advance.. i am a new member and cannot make any threads yet..
Old 09-03-2009, 01:17 PM
- Gene

hey i know this sounds like a dumb question but i have a honda accord EX-L with the navi and i was wondering if this navtraffic conversion was possible with the accord navi? if anyone knows or could help that would be awesome..
Old 09-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
so how much does navtraffic cost a month? it's probably not worth to pay monthly for...
don't retail GPS units have free "traffic?"
Old 09-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by phunctional
hey i know this sounds like a dumb question but i have a honda accord EX-L with the navi and i was wondering if this navtraffic conversion was possible with the accord navi? if anyone knows or could help that would be awesome..
you do realize this is an acura forum right haha

but google is your friend. it seems like navtraffic was never an option for your gen... so key components might be different from Acura.... ?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
- Gene

Originally Posted by unr1
you do realize this is an acura forum right haha

but google is your friend. it seems like navtraffic was never an option for your gen... so key components might be different from Acura.... ?
ya of course i know this is an acura forum but honda and acura are the same. lots of parts from the TSX are compatable with my accord hence my question and also thats what this whole thread was about.. putting navtraffic in a car that never had the option in the first place. and also we use the same navigation disc.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear

wiring details

I also put a 2008 nav in 2006 non-nav. I developed attached PDF wiring aid to guide me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 02-15-2019, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

gnterry, that’s an excellent wiring aid!
thank you for that. I’m swapping my 06 Navi to 08 now and was not looking forward to buying the conversion harness off eBay for $300. I’ve got the drive in the car now(the source of my original problem), have the newer XM, display and radio. Just hunting around for the newer HFL and the proper connectors now.
What did everyone do with the coaxial FM antenna wire that’s in the 04-06 cars? Just unplug and leave it?
Old 02-15-2019, 06:58 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by kanabul
I would love to completely rip out the navi in my 02 CL and replace it with this newer system. Anyone know if this is possible, logistically?
thanks
Likewise, I'd like to rip out my '04 TL Nav system and replace it with the '07/8 system. The routing algorithms in the '04/5/6 system SUCK! Whoever designed them should be drawn and quartered, then shot. I even have the last update DVD from 2014, same shit, different year.

Honda has gotten smart and partnered with Garmin now to provide Navigation in their new models. Acura?

Last edited by DMZ; 02-15-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm glad I stumbled upon this. I have an '06 with Navi and I want the 07-08 Navi and backup camera. Mainly the camera really but it would be nice to have a nicely upgraded GPS system. I have the camera and camera wire. Just need Navi drive and possibly new hfl. I'll update this with pictures once I do the conversion.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by L8rH8r
.... Mainly the camera really but it would be nice to have a nicely upgraded GPS system. I have the camera and camera wire.
do you have a part number for the camera harness/wire that comes from the Navi drive?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnGreen
do you have a part number for the camera harness/wire that comes from the Navi drive?
No unfortunately I do not. The camera I snagged on ebay for $85 shipped and the camera harness I snagged from a member who was parting out an 07.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Good afternoon to all. I would like to direct a question to those who already performed the '07/'08 Navigation Upgrade on their '04-'06 Acura TL. Thanks to those who were kind enough to leave copies of the service manuals for the '04-'08 TL's, I was able to download all of them and started looking through them. I even printed the circuit diagrams for all the components ( Display, Audio, Navigation, and HFL ) on both TL models for comparison. There were a few changes done and some additional features. I even got the crazy idea to rip everything apart and rewire the entire car. My friends told me that I have a screw loose............and to just buy another car
A special thanks to Zepplin77 for sharing some of his knowledge with the process of the upgrade.
Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, in a previous post, that I already upgraded my Navigation and everything is working good. But I have always been a perfectionist ( comes with the work I do ) and there are a few minor things that are not working correctly like before.
While examining the Display Panel Control Unit section, in the 2007-2008 service manual, i noticed a discrepancy in the connector wiring / description. The '04-'06 Display Panel incorporates, besides the climate control connectors, two green color connectors. one is a 14-pin labeled Connector A(14P) and the other is a 22-pin labeled Connector E(22P). Those were pretty straight forward. The '07-'08 Display Panel is a little different. It has two 22-Pin connectors. One is green color and is also labeled Connector A(22P) and the other is a blue connector and is labeled Connector E(22P). When I bought the Display Panel and Navigation ROM Drive, the Display Panel came with all it's connectors still attached. The two 22-Pin connectors can ONLY fit in their respected port.....green will fit only on green and same with blue connector. Like I said earlier, while examining the wiring description on the 2007-2008 manual, I noticed that wire lay out on green connector A(22P) did NOT match the one I had in my hand. The same went for the blue connector. In the manual, connector A(22P) uses terminals 5,6,7,8.9.10,15,16,17,18,19 & 22. While connector E(22P) uses terminals 1,2,3,4,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,18,19,20,21 & 22. But physically looking the connectors in my hand, the wiring was reversed. My blue connector looked exactly like connector A(22P), in the manual and my green connector looked like connector E(22P).
I know this is not a big deal and simply a waste of time but can someone out there who does have the manual, kindly take a look and let me know if I am crazy or not. I did get an adapter from Martin, in Florida, to retrofit my Display Panel to make it work but, as I mentioned earlier, there are a few minor things that are not working correctly. For example, the FM station don't display properly along with the stereo symbol, on the Sub-Display and my rear speakers are not as loud as the front. The passenger side A/C modes don't appear anymore.
I never had these nuisance problems before the swap. But everything works!
Okay, I'll stop talking now

Old 05-30-2021, 07:14 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Blah blah blah. TMI for my 66 y/o brain to absorb. I did the conversion and it works just enough to my satisfaction, no traffic, no ability to make a call from the Nav screen, but good enough.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Those shortcomings alone are enough to maintain the original year navi. It is not like the navi graphics are that much better and you loose all ability to customize your navi display graphics and eliminate the nag screen. non starter for me. Alpine offers terrific service for $358
Old 06-02-2021, 09:34 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by pohljm
Those shortcomings alone are enough to maintain the original year navi. It is not like the navi graphics are that much better and you loose all ability to customize your navi display graphics and eliminate the nag screen. non starter for me. Alpine offers terrific service for $358
Those shortcomings are things I can live with. For less than the $358 you'd pay Alpine, you could pick up an '07/8 Screen, and DVD drive, plus a $55 adapter to be able to plug in the '07/8 screen into your '04.

The system is just better than the '04/5/6 Nav, and having had that system all these years, the '07/8 setup is a refreshing change. Faster start, no more waiting for the GO button, Sharper screen, more vivid graphics, easier menus, and you can speak the city and street names instead of having to type them in. Think Alpine will fix your clock problem? With this setup, that's taken care of too.

My 2¢
Old 06-04-2021, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

customization allows you to create personal graphic screens to be displayed and you never a wait for the GO button as it does not exist and requires no intervention to boot. The clock issue is so easily rectified once a year at daylight savings time that was never a concern. it is just essentially the same dollars for hardware. installation on yours would be much higher as there is essentially none for the drive R&R. different desires on the outcome is all.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:26 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Whatever floats your boat .........
Old 06-06-2021, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

that is precisely what I said along with the reason why my boat floats the way it does.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by ROM0716
Good afternoon to all. I would like to direct a question to those who already performed the '07/'08 Navigation Upgrade on their '04-'06 Acura TL. Thanks to those who were kind enough to leave copies of the service manuals for the '04-'08 TL's, I was able to download all of them and started looking through them. I even printed the circuit diagrams for all the components ( Display, Audio, Navigation, and HFL ) on both TL models for comparison. There were a few changes done and some additional features. I even got the crazy idea to rip everything apart and rewire the entire car. My friends told me that I have a screw loose............and to just buy another car
A special thanks to Zepplin77 for sharing some of his knowledge with the process of the upgrade.
Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, in a previous post, that I already upgraded my Navigation and everything is working good. But I have always been a perfectionist ( comes with the work I do ) and there are a few minor things that are not working correctly like before.
While examining the Display Panel Control Unit section, in the 2007-2008 service manual, i noticed a discrepancy in the connector wiring / description. The '04-'06 Display Panel incorporates, besides the climate control connectors, two green color connectors. one is a 14-pin labeled Connector A(14P) and the other is a 22-pin labeled Connector E(22P). Those were pretty straight forward. The '07-'08 Display Panel is a little different. It has two 22-Pin connectors. One is green color and is also labeled Connector A(22P) and the other is a blue connector and is labeled Connector E(22P). When I bought the Display Panel and Navigation ROM Drive, the Display Panel came with all it's connectors still attached. The two 22-Pin connectors can ONLY fit in their respected port.....green will fit only on green and same with blue connector. Like I said earlier, while examining the wiring description on the 2007-2008 manual, I noticed that wire lay out on green connector A(22P) did NOT match the one I had in my hand. The same went for the blue connector. In the manual, connector A(22P) uses terminals 5,6,7,8.9.10,15,16,17,18,19 & 22. While connector E(22P) uses terminals 1,2,3,4,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,18,19,20,21 & 22. But physically looking the connectors in my hand, the wiring was reversed. My blue connector looked exactly like connector A(22P), in the manual and my green connector looked like connector E(22P).
I know this is not a big deal and simply a waste of time but can someone out there who does have the manual, kindly take a look and let me know if I am crazy or not. I did get an adapter from Martin, in Florida, to retrofit my Display Panel to make it work but, as I mentioned earlier, there are a few minor things that are not working correctly. For example, the FM station don't display properly along with the stereo symbol, on the Sub-Display and my rear speakers are not as loud as the front. The passenger side A/C modes don't appear anymore.
I never had these nuisance problems before the swap. But everything works!
Okay, I'll stop talking now
I've had the same issues with passenger HVAC when radio is off on startup. My AM/FM works ok up top, same with XM. What are you seeing up there? The speakers not being as loud as the front is something that is isolated to 2004 models. There is also the issue of communication between modules/years. 04-06 use a different standard (Canbus I think) than 07-08 (GA-NET) so that can cause some issues. For example my A/C will not work when set to lo temp. Set it to +1 to 59F and the a/c compressor kicks on. It's certainly due to communication variances.